• Please keep all posts on the Rittenhouse verdict here: Rittenhouse Verdict. Note the moderator warnings in the thread. The thread will be heavily moderated with a zero tolerance policy for any baiting, flaming, trolling or other rule breaks. Stick to the topic and not the other posters. Thank you.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Clinton closing in on Trump... in SOUTH CAROLINA!

Threegoofs

COVID survivor
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
55,309
Reaction score
20,660
Location
The birthplace of Italian Beef
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I took a look at the 538 map, and was surprised to see SC not as red as usual.

Sure enough, when you look at the numbers, its about a 58% chance of going to Trump, with a 42% chance for Clinton.

Other reliably red states have percentages like 75-90% of going with Trump... but SC seems like it will be the next state to flip if things continue to go South (pun sorta intended, but makes no sense) for Trump.

I would have thought Texas (70% for Trump) or Missouri (65%) would be closer to flipping, but no... South Carolina will be the next domino to fall.

Capture.JPG
 

Anagram

DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 10, 2011
Messages
8,858
Reaction score
5,411
Location
St. Louis MO
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I took a look at the 538 map, and was surprised to see SC not as red as usual.

Sure enough, when you look at the numbers, its about a 58% chance of going to Trump, with a 42% chance for Clinton.

Other reliably red states have percentages like 75-90% of going with Trump... but SC seems like it will be the next state to flip if things continue to go South (pun sorta intended, but makes no sense) for Trump.

I would have thought Texas (70% for Trump) or Missouri (65%) would be closer to flipping, but no... South Carolina will be the next domino to fall.

View attachment 67205402

I think 538's model is overstating the chances of Clinton in SC in the absence of any polls. SC has been closer than other states the last few elections, but SC's voters are particularly inelastic and will almost definitely end up with somewhere between a 5-15% Trump victory.

More likely Trump would have a better chance in Montana or Missouri.
 

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 28, 2015
Messages
58,701
Reaction score
45,537
Location
Third Coast
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Other
I took a look at the 538 map, and was surprised to see SC not as red as usual.

Sure enough, when you look at the numbers, its about a 58% chance of going to Trump, with a 42% chance for Clinton.

Other reliably red states have percentages like 75-90% of going with Trump... but SC seems like it will be the next state to flip if things continue to go South (pun sorta intended, but makes no sense) for Trump.

I would have thought Texas (70% for Trump) or Missouri (65%) would be closer to flipping, but no... South Carolina will be the next domino to fall.

View attachment 67205402
I'm with Anagram: Interesting to note, but not going to happen.
 

humbolt

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
26,666
Reaction score
17,776
Location
SW Virginia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
And Trump is closing on Hillary in Pennsylvania. It's a little early for polls to be meaningful. The Little Endians and the Big Endians haven't been clearly defined yet. There's a lot of smearing the evil minions have yet to accomplish. Give it some time.
 

Kobie

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 17, 2013
Messages
48,281
Reaction score
25,273
Location
Western NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal

humbolt

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
26,666
Reaction score
17,776
Location
SW Virginia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative

Anagram

DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 10, 2011
Messages
8,858
Reaction score
5,411
Location
St. Louis MO
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
According to RCP he is. I don't think any of it means much now. I don't think the swings are nearly as wide as have been reported lately. The difference in belief required to switch from one candidate to the other just seems a little too large for so much vacillation.

You're right there's still too much time left to be drawing conclusions, but he is down 8 in Pennsylvania in both two and four way contests on RCP averages.
 

humbolt

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
26,666
Reaction score
17,776
Location
SW Virginia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
You're right there's still too much time left to be drawing conclusions, but he is down 8 in bother two and four way contests on RCP averages.

Yeah. I think Trump is lucky he's not down more, but his supporters are loyal, anyway. He'll step in it again, and Hillary has who knows what hanging over her head. The circus we expected is the one we're getting, that's for sure. Maybe the polls are volatile because the populace is. Beats me. I've never seen anything quite like this. It's political dark comedy.
 

Threegoofs

COVID survivor
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
55,309
Reaction score
20,660
Location
The birthplace of Italian Beef
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think 538's model is overstating the chances of Clinton in SC in the absence of any polls. SC has been closer than other states the last few elections, but SC's voters are particularly inelastic and will almost definitely end up with somewhere between a 5-15% Trump victory.

More likely Trump would have a better chance in Montana or Missouri.

Two polls were listed in the link.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

JumpinJack

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
6,628
Reaction score
2,971
Location
Dallas, TX
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Independent
And Trump is closing on Hillary in Pennsylvania. It's a little early for polls to be meaningful. The Little Endians and the Big Endians haven't been clearly defined yet. There's a lot of smearing the evil minions have yet to accomplish. Give it some time.

PA is a swing state. The OP's post was to call attention to the fact that Trump is having trouble in a decidedly red state. SC is not a swing state.
 

humbolt

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
26,666
Reaction score
17,776
Location
SW Virginia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
PA is a swing state. The OP's post was to call attention to the fact that Trump is having trouble in a decidedly red state. SC is not a swing state.

PA has voted democrat in every presidential election since 1992.
 

bubbabgone

DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
Messages
31,888
Reaction score
16,194
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
PA is a swing state. The OP's post was to call attention to the fact that Trump is having trouble in a decidedly red state. SC is not a swing state.

Not really. It may be this time, though.
 

JumpinJack

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
6,628
Reaction score
2,971
Location
Dallas, TX
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Independent
Not really. It may be this time, though.

The swing states are agreed on. Check out the political swing state maps. There's one in Politico site. PA is a swing state for prez elections. SC is not.
 

JumpinJack

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
6,628
Reaction score
2,971
Location
Dallas, TX
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Independent
PA has voted democrat in every presidential election since 1992.

According to Politico, PA is a swing state, now. (aka battleground states) PA was solidly in Obama's column, but after that, a tossup.

2012:

Swingstate2012-swing-state-map-300x238.jpg

2016:

swingstate2016-electoral-map-projections.jpg
 
Last edited:

bubbabgone

DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
Messages
31,888
Reaction score
16,194
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The swing states are agreed on. Check out the political swing state maps. There's one in Politico site. PA is a swing state for prez elections. SC is not.

I said PA could likely be a swing state. It just hasn't been swing-ish for many recent national elections.
 

JumpinJack

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
6,628
Reaction score
2,971
Location
Dallas, TX
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Independent
I said PA could likely be a swing state. It just hasn't been swing-ish for many recent national elections.

It isn't determined, I think, by HOW it ultimately votes. What matters is the degree of tossup BEFORE the election, so that it COULD go either way. The fact that one party eeks out a win ultimately isn't determinative, I think.
 

sangha

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 1, 2011
Messages
67,218
Reaction score
28,524
Location
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
According to RCP he is. I don't think any of it means much now. I don't think the swings are nearly as wide as have been reported lately. The difference in belief required to switch from one candidate to the other just seems a little too large for so much vacillation.

RCP's latest polls have Clinton up by (in reverse chronological order) 13, 11, 9 and 3 in PA
RealClearPolitics - 2016 Election 2016 State Polls
 

Threegoofs

COVID survivor
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
55,309
Reaction score
20,660
Location
The birthplace of Italian Beef
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It isn't determined, I think, by HOW it ultimately votes. What matters is the degree of tossup BEFORE the election, so that it COULD go either way. The fact that one party eeks out a win ultimately isn't determinative, I think.

Well, here are the latest PA polls.

I guess if you're delusional or dont understand the meaning of 'swing', you could consider these numbers as swing state numbers...

PA.jpg

And over at 538, they show Clinton with a 86.2% chance of winning the state.
 
Last edited:

Anagram

DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 10, 2011
Messages
8,858
Reaction score
5,411
Location
St. Louis MO
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Well, here are the latest PA polls.

I guess if you're delusional or dont understand the meaning of 'swing', you could consider these numbers as swing state numbers...

View attachment 67205465

And over at 538, they show Clinton with a 86.2% chance of winning the state.

Swing states are usually talked about relative to the nation at large though. She's up that high in Pennsylvania, but only a tiny bit more than her national margin. If Trump were to do something so catastrophically stupid that Hillary were to win Tennessee for instance, I don't think people would suddenly start considering Tennessee a swing state even though it swung in this election.
 

humbolt

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
26,666
Reaction score
17,776
Location
SW Virginia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
According to Politico, PA is a swing state, now. (aka battleground states) PA was solidly in Obama's column, but after that, a tossup.

2012:

View attachment 67205459

2016:

View attachment 67205460

As I mentioned, since 1992 Pennsylvania has voted democrat in presidential elections. It's entrance into the swing state club is relatively recent. I'm willing to bet that neither of us need Politico to figure that out, but I understand the need to support one's arguments, so have at it. I feel pretty safe in saying that Clinton will not take SC. If she wins SC, I'll fall on my sword and buy a really, really good bottle of whiskey. Of course I'll drink it too, but you can count on my reporting regarding it's quality. I'll also do the same if she loses. I believe in fair treatment no matter what.
 

humbolt

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
26,666
Reaction score
17,776
Location
SW Virginia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
RCP's latest polls have Clinton up by (in reverse chronological order) 13, 11, 9 and 3 in PA
RealClearPolitics - 2016 Election 2016 State Polls

Yep. You're right. Like me, my information is old now. I should admit now that I am not paying attention to politics much of late. I can step in fresh horse turds and not get nearly as disgusted as I can reading or watching politics. Besides, the horse poop thing is inadvertent. With the political scene of late, it's important to realize that you're intentionally observing.
 

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Joined
Apr 25, 2010
Messages
66,969
Reaction score
20,472
Location
Pittsburgh
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
As I mentioned, since 1992 Pennsylvania has voted democrat in presidential elections. It's entrance into the swing state club is relatively recent. I'm willing to bet that neither of us need Politico to figure that out, but I understand the need to support one's arguments, so have at it. I feel pretty safe in saying that Clinton will not take SC. If she wins SC, I'll fall on my sword and buy a really, really good bottle of whiskey. Of course I'll drink it too, but you can count on my reporting regarding it's quality. I'll also do the same if she loses. I believe in fair treatment no matter what.

I agree and I wouldn't even call PA a swing state now. Im from PA in the last 14 elections PA voted democrat 10 times, the republican presidents they voted for were Regan, Bush 1 and Nixon. Trump won't be getting PA.
 
Top Bottom