• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clinton admits illegal immigration a problem...

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
But there are some areas that the federal government should not leave and should address and address strongly. One of these areas is the problem of illegal immigration. After years of neglect, this administration has taken a strong stand to stiffen the protection of our borders. We are increasing border controls by 50 percent. We are increasing inspections to prevent the hiring of illegal immigrants. And tonight, I announce I will sign an Executive Order to deny federal contracts to businesses that hire illegal immigrants.
Let me be very clear about this: We are still a nation of immigrants; we should be proud of it. We should honor every legal immigrant here, working hard to be a good citizen, working hard to become a new citizen. But we are also a nation of laws

Bill Clinton, State of the Union Address, January 23, 1996. State of the Union Address (January 23, 1996)—Miller Center

When did Republicans become racists for believing the same thing?

When they stopped promising amnesty for votes.

Bill Clinton, State of the Union Address, January 23, 1996. State of the Union Address (January 23, 1996)—Miller Center

It's a policy/marketing pivot.
DNC realized they could gain an advantage by taking a policy towards being passively acceptive of illegal immigration.
Politics is like war, you have to exploit every advantage you can get, while also hitting your enemy at every weakness they have.

It was a smart tactic, although not always best for a government and it's people.

I think it's a fairly recent thing. The left is moving further left and the right is moving further right. The more centrist types like Clinton now have to abandon some positions if they want to be more viable.

Damn, that speech is older than I am. Also your link does not actually link to the State of the Union.

My favorite line from history is:

Obama 2006

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our government’s reckless fiscal policies. Over the past five years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion. That is ‘trillion’ with a ‘T.’ That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers. And over the next five years, between now and 2011, the president’s budget will increase the debt by almost another $3.5 trillion.

National debt after Obama $20T

When it became a hot potato.

Reagan gave amnesty to millions yet he was a Republican.
Reagan signed legislation duly passed by the House and Senate. Reagan himself didnt give amnesty.

But this is really nothing more than politics. Rats want votes and they dont care about the rule of law. Trumps rhetoric doesnt make sense. Anyone that thinks it is possible to deport 20-30 million people, let alone logical is on crack. The thing is...there are SO MANY logical and easy fixes for this problem.

Reagan signed legislation duly passed by the House and Senate. Reagan himself didnt give amnesty.

But this is really nothing more than politics. Rats want votes and they dont care about the rule of law. Trumps rhetoric doesnt make sense. Anyone that thinks it is possible to deport 20-30 million people, let alone logical is on crack. The thing is...there are SO MANY logical and easy fixes for this problem.

There's a reason Mexicans don't flood over their southern border and Cubans don't swim or boat to the DR. We both know what that reason is.

When it became a hot potato.

Reagan gave amnesty to millions yet he was a Republican.

To be accurate, Reagan made a deal with the devil (i.e. Congressional Democrats) and the devil didn't uphold his part of the bargain. They approved the amnesty and didn't secure the border. It's why conservatives and Republicans don't trust a word out of any liberal or Democrat's mouth related to the subject.

That's the best you've got?? Really??

What? The problem is not easy to be solved, the Democrats have not shifted to pro illegal immigration. It is just the problem is a lot more complex than building a wall to keep Mexicans out. The problem the Republicans suffer from is that they seem to make a racially motivated issue, seemingly using Mexican and illegal immigrant interchangeably.

Where did he say they are a bunch of rapists and murderers?

But seriously, where are these democrats that think we shouldn't have any border security? I keep hearing republicans talking about these democrats, but I never see the democrats.

Border security and deportation is up under Obama last I heard. And I haven't heard anyone saying that we should have completely free and open borders with no security at all. I can't even remember hearing any democrat arguing that we shouldn't get a universal e-verify system up and running.

I think democrats merely think the idea of a big and expensive wall is completely stupid and a waste of money and anyone who thinks they can deport all illegal immigrants is a moron. We live in a country with children that are american citizens and parents who are immigrants, and any person who thinks the fix for that is to deport the parents has lost credibility.

To be accurate, Reagan made a deal with the devil (i.e. Congressional Democrats) and the devil didn't uphold his part of the bargain. They approved the amnesty and didn't secure the border. It's why conservatives and Republicans don't trust a word out of any liberal or Democrat's mouth related to the subject.

Oh, very true.

Amnesty, then wall building... Then no wall.

What? The problem is not easy to be solved, the Democrats have not shifted to pro illegal immigration. It is just the problem is a lot more complex than building a wall to keep Mexicans out. The problem the Republicans suffer from is that they seem to make a racially motivated issue, seemingly using Mexican and illegal immigrant interchangeably.

What utter nonsense. Are sanctuary cities run by Republicans?

Oh, yes they most certainly have shifted. Your last sentence is ridiculous.

I guess he doesn't go down as a racist, because he was so unsuccessful at stopping illegal immigration. But his lack of success and the knowledge that newly nationalized immigrants tend to vote Democrat will save the present set of Democrats from becoming racist now.

Ummm... It could be that Mexico provides more illegal immigrants than the rest of the world combined.

countries-of-origin-infographic-V4-758width.JPG

Where did he say they are a bunch of rapists and murderers?

But seriously, where are these democrats that think we shouldn't have any border security? I keep hearing republicans talking about these democrats, but I never see the democrats.

Border security and deportation is up under Obama last I heard. And I haven't heard anyone saying that we should have completely free and open borders with no security at all. I can't even remember hearing any democrat arguing that we shouldn't get a universal e-verify system up and running.

I think democrats merely think the idea of a big and expensive wall is completely stupid and a waste of money and anyone who thinks they can deport all illegal immigrants is a moron. We live in a country with children that are american citizens and parents who are immigrants, and any person who thinks the fix for that is to deport the parents has lost credibility.

Last you heard?

The number of deportations resulting from interior enforcement by ICE declined by 19 percent from 2011 to 2012, and is on track to decline another 22 percent in 2013.
In 2012, the year the Obama administration claimed to break enforcement records, more than one-half of removals attributed to ICE were the result of Border Patrol arrests that would never have been counted as a removal in prior years. In 2008, under the Bush administration, only one-third of removals were from Border Patrol arrests.
Total deportations in 2011, the latest year for which complete numbers are available, numbered 715,495 – the lowest level since 1973. The highest number of deportations on record was in 2000, under the Clinton administration, when 1,864,343 aliens were deported.
When claiming record levels of enforcement, the Obama administration appears to count only removals, which are just one form of deportation, and only a partial measure of enforcement. Beginning in 2011, a shift of some of the routine Border Patrol case load to ICE enabled the administration to count an artificially high number of removals.
Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), the division of ICE that is responsible for work site enforcement, combating transnational gangs, overstay enforcement, anti-smuggling and trafficking activity, and busting document and identity theft rings, now contributes very little to immigration enforcement. In 2013 HSI has produced only four percent of ICE deportations, making just a few thousand arrests per year throughout the entire country.
ICE is doing less enforcement with more resources. Despite reporting more encounters in 2013 than 2012, ICE agents pursued deportation of 20 percent fewer aliens this year than last.
Enforcement activity declined in every ICE field office from 2011 to 2013, with the biggest declines in the Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Washington DC/Virginia, and Houston field offices.
Criminal alien arrests declined by 11 percent from 2012 to 2013, despite the completion of the Secure Communities program, which generates more referrals of arrested aliens than ever before. ICE agents took a pass on hundreds of thousands of aliens who were arrested by local authorities in those years.
ICE is carrying a case load of 1.8 million aliens who are either in removal proceedings or have already been ordered removed. Less than two percent are in detention, which is the only proven way to ensure departure.
As of the end of July 2013 there were 872,000 aliens – nearly half of ICE’s total docket – who had been ordered removed but who had not left the country.
The State Department continues to issue tens of thousands of visas annually to citizens of countries that refuse to take back their countrymen who are ordered removed from the United States. Many of these are violent criminals.

Deportation Numbers Unwrapped | Center for Immigration Studies

Oh, yes they most certainly have shifted. Your last sentence is ridiculous.

Not really considering what Trump has been saying about his wall. It is not a clear cut issue but the Republicans want to paint it as such. What are you going to do with the ones already here? What about those who have spent most of their lives here? The republicans think that stricter border controls and assuming all Mexicans are illegals trying to enter the country will solve everything.

Not really considering what Trump has been saying about his wall. It is not a clear cut issue but the Republicans want to paint it as such. What are you going to do with the ones already here? What about those who have spent most of their lives here? The republicans think that stricter border controls and assuming all Mexicans are illegals trying to enter the country will solve everything.

Excuse me, but this thread is about the hypocrisy of the left re illegal immigration.

Back
Top Bottom