• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Climbers hold world's highest tea party on Mount Everest

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
220313204910-mount-everest-tea-party.jpg

(CNN) — High tea took on a whole new meaning for Andrew Hughes and his climbing crew.

The group of adventurers held a tea party at 21,312 feet above sea level at Mount Everest's Camp 2 in Nepal last year, setting a new `Guinness World Record-- which was officially recognized by Guinness this month -- for the highest tea party ever held.

Hughes, a self-described high-endurance athlete from Seattle, Washington, said he first had the idea for the tea party early in the pandemic when Covid-19 travel restrictions and shutdowns meant expeditions were not possible. He said the isolation made him realize he missed the community more than the summits.

"The greatest things in life are often those shared," Hughes said, adding he hopes the feat -- held on May 5, 2021 -- will "inspire others to seek their own dreams, no matter the heights."

That’s pretty cool and I bet it was a lot of fun.

What an arsehole. Somebody carried all that shit up the mountain, (hopefully it was taken back down again) and I bet it wasn't him or his pals who carried it. It's a dangerous place to be, how many lives were out at risk for a stupid stunt?
The tea looks awful, too!

What an arsehole. Somebody carried all that shit up the mountain, (hopefully it was taken back down again) and I bet it wasn't him or his pals who carried it. It's a dangerous place to be, how many lives were out at risk for a stupid stunt?
As far as your post goes, I'd have to agree with your first sentence.

(CNN) — High tea took on a whole new meaning for Andrew Hughes and his climbing crew.

The group of adventurers held a tea party at 21,312 feet above sea level at Mount Everest's Camp 2 in Nepal last year, setting a new `Guinness World Record-- which was officially recognized by Guinness this month -- for the highest tea party ever held.

Hughes, a self-described high-endurance athlete from Seattle, Washington, said he first had the idea for the tea party early in the pandemic when Covid-19 travel restrictions and shutdowns meant expeditions were not possible. He said the isolation made him realize he missed the community more than the summits.

"The greatest things in life are often those shared," Hughes said, adding he hopes the feat -- held on May 5, 2021 -- will "inspire others to seek their own dreams, no matter the heights."

I don't find "notice me" moments pretty cool.

I would love being up there but alas, I am old, afraid of height and certainly can't climb.

I was under the impression they tried to keep people moving on/off the summit because of how damn crowded Everest was. The pics don't usually look inviting. Huge long lines of people following a single rope up or down. People occasionally freezing in terror and holding everyone up. Etc.

Sherpas. It's what they do. It's how most make their living. And yes, all that "**it" gets carried back down again.

As to "that stupid stunt," I'm sure they have a much greater appreciation for where they're at and what they're doing than you possibly could.

I don't begrudge them this little "stunt" before attempting a feat that many before them have died trying; not one iota.

What stuff? Cups and tables that they would be there anyway? This was at one of the base camps, not at the peak. Sherpas do bring that stuff up but nothing there in a tea party would not be there anyway

Do people just have this need to whine and judge every stupid thing on the internet? Seriously

Sorry to disappoint you, but I stumbled upon the highest tea party in the world right at sea level on Naasu Beach. I'm not sure what was in the tea, but those were definitely the highest people in the world.

1647297809451.png

I was under the impression they tried to keep people moving on/off the summit because of how damn crowded Everest was. The pics don't usually look inviting. Huge long lines of people following a single rope up or down. People occasionally freezing in terror and holding everyone up. Etc.
They’re not on the summit, they’re at camp 1 which is just above 21000 feet.

They’re not on the summit, they’re at camp 1 which is just above 21000 feet.
Ah... well then...

It said "world's highest" and I made an assumption. I did open the article but did not read every word...

Ah... well then...

It said "world's highest" and I made an assumption. I did open the article but did not read every word...
I did the same thing, because doing something like that at 29000 feet would be foolhardy and very dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom