• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Climate change may have driven the emergence of SARS-CoV-2

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Global greenhouse gas emissions over the last century have made southern China a hotspot for bat-borne coronaviruses, by driving growth of forest habitat favoured by bats.

A new study published today in the journal Science of the Total Environment provides the first evidence of a mechanism by which climate change could have played a direct role in the emergence of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that caused the COVID-19 pandemic.

The study has revealed large-scale changes in the type of vegetation in the southern Chinese Yunnan province, and adjacent regions in Myanmar and Laos, over the last century. Climatic changes including increases in temperature, sunlight, and atmospheric carbon dioxide -- which affect the growth of plants and trees -- have changed natural habitats from tropical shrubland to tropical savannah and deciduous woodland. This created a suitable environment for many bat species that predominantly live in forests.

The number of coronaviruses in an area is closely linked to the number of different bat species present. The study found that an additional 40 bat species have moved into the southern Chinese Yunnan province in the past century, harbouring around 100 more types of bat-borne coronavirus.
===============================================================
Warm the planet up & you'll be amazed at the things that might pop out.

So which kind of climate change favors the covid virus strains? Was it the warming climate change or the cooling climate change what done it to us?

So which kind of climate change favors the covid virus strains? Was it the warming climate change or the cooling climate change what done it to us?
Beats me. Do a Google search.

Beats me. Do a Google search.

Google says Covid19 was likely leaked from a virus research lab in Wuhan China. I'm still following up so don't quote me on this yet.

Last edited:
If climate change gave us the covid virus we need to know if it was warmer climate or cooler climate. Don't we for Christ's sake? It's not exactly rocket science.

All we have are guesses. Probably cooler stuff caused it.

If climate change gave us the covid virus we need to know if it was warmer climate or cooler climate. Don't we for Christ's sake? It's not exactly rocket science.

It's easier for me to tell you to look it up yourself instead of me doing it for you. I'm not here to be a reference librarian.

The virus itself neither, the animal life that carries viruses, hot and humid. Which if you read the article would have known

All we have are guesses. Probably cooler stuff caused it.

I don't know, lots of virus are found in tropical jungle settings. I'm going with warmer temps being the cause of the covid. Sorry to all you Texans freezing your arses off but at least covid isn't one of your worries

I don't know, lots of virus are found in tropical jungle settings. I'm going with warmer temps being the cause of the covid. Sorry to all you Texans freezing your arses off but at least covid isn't one of your worries

What about Covid dying in the hot months?

What about Covid dying in the hot months?

Old wife's tale. Dr. Fauci shot that one down in those press conferences he did with Trump.

Old wife's tale. Dr. Fauci shot that one down in one of those press conferences he did with Trump.

Have you read the excerpt in the OP yet?

Google says Covid19 was likely leaked from a virus research lab in Wuhan China. I'm still following up so don't quote me on this yet.

Google is a bit behind on the latest studies which showed that COVID-19 was in circulation well before the Chinese even knew that it had infected anyone.

If you don't read the linked articles, then at least read the post. The post quoted

"... Climatic changes including increases in temperature, sunlight, and atmospheric carbon dioxide ..."​

from the linked article and (generally speaking) "increases in temperature" sort of hint towards something that kind of resembles "warming climate" - don't you think?

Yep, Texas is way down the list and is #28 in terms of "Cases per Million"

21-02-18 D1b - Red vs Blue - Cases TABLE.JPG
and it's way down the list at #28 in terms of "Deaths per Million"

21-02-18 D1c - Red vs Blue - Deaths TABLE.JPG

and it's #16 in terms of "Mortality Rate (Closed)"

21-02-18 E2 - Red vs Blue - Mortality TABLE.JPG

but (at #3) it's right there in the running for #1 in terms of "Total Deaths", so Texas has absolutely nothing whatsoever to be concerned about with respect to COVID-19.

Back
Top Bottom