• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clever quotes

sbrettt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
This thread is for sharing clever quotes that you guys like. I'll go first. "A lotta people wanna be Cary Grant and I'm one of em'". -Cary Grant.

"War doesn't determine who's right, only who's left." Bertrand Russell.

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde.

just see my sig

and see it too

"Mankind is a single body and each nation a part of that body. We must never say “What does it matter to me if some part of the world is ailing?” If there is such an illness, we must concern ourselves with it as though we were having that illness.”

"In Dardanelles, he talks to the enemies who lost their lives and their parents who cray after them:

Those heroes that shed their blood and
lost their lives...!
You are now lying in
the soil of a friendly country, therefore
rest in peace.
There is no differences between
the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they
lie side by side.
You, the mothers who sent their sons far away
from their countries, wipe away your tears. Your sons are now
lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having
lost their lives on this land, they have become
our sons as well."

Last edited:
just see my sig

and see it too

"Mankind is a single body and each nation a part of that body. We must never say “What does it matter to me if some part of the world is ailing?” If there is such an illness, we must concern ourselves with it as though we were having that illness.”

"In Dardanelles, he talks to the enemies who lost their lives and their parents who cray after them:

Those heroes that shed their blood and
lost their lives...!
You are now lying in
the soil of a friendly country, therefore
rest in peace.
There is no differences between
the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they
lie side by side.
You, the mothers who sent their sons far away
from their countries, wipe away your tears. Your sons are now
lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having
lost their lives on this land, they have become
our sons as well."

Do you know off the top of your head who said the quote I made bold?

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

-The Velveteen Rabbit

This thread is for sharing clever quotes that you guys like. I'll go first. "A lotta people wanna be Cary Grant and I'm one of em'". -Cary Grant.

Old age is no place for sissies.

-Bette Davis

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury."

This is sometimes attributed to Alexander Tytler and is a shortened version of a longer quote which describes the decline of a society where mob rule transfers personal responsibility to public liability. I have no idea who actually wrote it. I used to use it as my signature and may again but some smart ass always comes along and says neener neener it's not Tytler. Then I have to explain, I don't care, I like it.

She was smarter than me, and I hate when that happens. There was but one thing to do: seize the initiative. I played the trump card God provided: I stared directly into her cleavage.

Donovan Creed

I have to post these because I'm a little bit of an astronomy nerd.
Houston, Apollo 11 . . . I've got the world in my window.
-Michael Collins.
What was most significant about the lunar voyage was not that man set foot on the Moon but that they set eye on the earth.
-Norman Cousins
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
-Leonardo da Vinci
We believe that when men reach beyond this planet, they should leave their national differences behind them.
-JFK
We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. That's a clear prescription for disaster.
-Carl Sagan
Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact.
-Carl Sagan
An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very stupid.
Carl Sagan again.

See my sig line. Spoke by Paul F., during a rigorous discussion regarding victim mentalities.

Davis (Steve Martin): That's part of your problem: you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies.

Back
Top Bottom