• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cleveland to drop 'Indians' from team name: New York Times

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

(Reuters) - Major League Baseball’s Cleveland Indians will change their team nickname amid criticism that the moniker, which has been in place since 1915, is racist, the New York Times reported on Sunday.

The two-times World Series winners said in 2018 that they were phasing out their “Chief Wahoo” logo after it was heavily criticized as racist by Native American rights groups.

A push to eliminate racially insensitive material has intensified following the May 25 death of George Floyd, a Black man who died after a white police officer knelt on his neck in Minneapolis.
========================================================
I have no comment. I lived in Cleveland years ago but never went to a game, so I don't care what they do.

Ten_Cent_Beer_Night is the only thing of note about this ball club.

(Reuters) - Major League Baseball’s Cleveland Indians will change their team nickname amid criticism that the moniker, which has been in place since 1915, is racist, the New York Times reported on Sunday.

The two-times World Series winners said in 2018 that they were phasing out their “Chief Wahoo” logo after it was heavily criticized as racist by Native American rights groups.

A push to eliminate racially insensitive material has intensified following the May 25 death of George Floyd, a Black man who died after a white police officer knelt on his neck in Minneapolis.
I have no comment. I lived in Cleveland years ago but never went to a game, so I don't care what they do.

The writing has been on the wall with their having gotten rid of that horribly dated logo. The name was next to go.

Fun fact for those who are offended by this name change, MLB will go on with or without you. :)

The writing has been on the wall with their having gotten rid of that horribly dated logo. The name was next to go.

Fun fact for those who are offended by this name change, MLB will go on with or without you. :)

Having lived there, I can rightfully share that city's well-deserved nicknames:

The Mistake on the Lake

The Cuyahoga River cleves the land in two.

Having lived there, I can rightfully share that city's well-deserved nicknames:

The Mistake on the Lake

The Cuyahoga River cleves the land in two.

I thought the Mistake on the Lake was the old Municipal Stadium? Or the open-air stadium that replaced it.

"Hey guys, where can we put the new open-air stadium to welcome the Browns back? Right by the lake! Perfect!"

I wouldn't call it racist, but what you're doing to the Native people when you go out to win as an Indian makes this a right call.

I never thought I'd see this happen. Well done Cleveland ownership. Our treatment of the original occupants of the land our government stole from them is beyond horrific. And it continues on...

So what are they changing it to? My vote is for "Buttlickers".

Has kind of ring to it, ya know?

I'd say they should re-name themselves the "Blues"... which was their old name back in the 1880's. It plays off well against Cincinnati (c'mon Reds v. Blues? It's a natural fit).... and let's face it - they haven't won a World Series since '48... and there's been a lot of Cleveland fans singing the blues over that time span.

Cool. Its time to stop the mistake the settlers made in calling the natives indians anyway.

I never thought I'd see this happen. Well done Cleveland ownership. Our treatment of the original occupants of the land our government stole from them is beyond horrific. And it continues on...

It only took 105 years.

Columbus inspired centuries of genocide against native people. Enough is enough.

So what are they changing it to? My vote is for "Buttlickers".

Has kind of ring to it, ya know?

We know the real letter you want that team's name to start with and it isn't "b".

Back
Top Bottom