• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cleveland police union asks for suspension of 'open carry' in wake of Baton [W:48]

Re: Cleveland police union asks for suspension of 'open carry' in wake of Baton Rouge

What do you do with your gun in a government building or an airport?

Shoot the target somewhere else.

Re: Cleveland police union asks for suspension of 'open carry' in wake of Baton Rouge

No need for the bad guys to break the law. They can get guns legally. It's easier than getting a fishing license in my state.

Felon? No problem. Just buy one out in the parking lot of the gun show. No background check needed.

You just contradicted your first paragraph with your second paragraph. It is illegal for felons to own guns. They wouldn't be getting them legally, which is why I am in favor of closing the gun show loophole.

No need for the bad guys to break the law.

What are you talking about? A mass shooting is breaking the law-in spades, just like driving a 25-ton truck at high speed into a crowd of revelers on Bastille Day and killing 84 of them is breaking the law. You want to ban trucks, too? :confused:

I am not sure how that will prevent a sniper from shooting police officers.

I dont think the concern is snipers shooting police officers. Rather the concerns is private citizens from partisan group "A" getting juiced up and trying to intimidate private citizens from Partisan group "B" via openly carrying weapons in close proximity to them.

Somebody then thinks that an idiot adjusting a weapon on a sling is in fact, readying the weapon for use. He tries to shoot him, but misses, and hits somebody else. Alot of people start to die.... . This causes trouble for the police and for the nation.

Come to think of it, this happens in Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, Afghanistan and parts of Ukraine on a regular basis.

Last edited:

I think you would have to be mental to open carry in Cleveland today.

It seems confrontational when you know the opposing side will be there as well.

Not to mention, there was a citizen who was open carrying in baton rouge...that didn't turn out well for him after the police requested help finding him. Now he gets death threats.

I dont think the concern is snipers shooting police officers. Rather the concerns is private citizens from partisan group "A" getting juiced up and trying to intimidate private citizens from Partisan group "B" via openly carrying weapons in close proximity to them.

Somebody then thinks that an idiot adjusting a weapon on a sling is in fact, readying the weapon for use. He tries to shoot him, but misses, and hits somebody else. Alot of people start to die.... . This causes trouble for the police and for the nation.

Come to think of it, this happens in Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, Afghanistan and parts of Ukraine on a regular basis.

Shooting race war in Cleveland's streets? There is certainly that to think of.

Shooting race war in Cleveland's streets? There is certainly that to think of.

I would not say race war, but a low level, constant socio political war. Many countries such as Pakistan (good company?) have experienced these low level wars for decades as a variety of ethnic groups, political groups and religious groups try to intimidate each other. The violence usually flares at election time, the recedes, only to flare again.

I am not sure what disarming lawful citizens will do to make things any safer?
Making a temporary rule to ban open carry won't stop a mad man from shooting/
attacking people in a gun free zone.

Is the shooter going to say... Oh this is a gun free zone can't shoot here?

In a free society the government can not stop a killer from killing!

I would not say race war, but a low level, constant socio political war. Many countries such as Pakistan (good company?) have experienced these low level wars for decades as a variety of ethnic groups, political groups and religious groups try to intimidate each other. The violence usually flares at election time, the recedes, only to flare again.

You might want to be more polite and mention Israel instead of Pakistan. ;)

The fact that police themselves are asking for guns to be banned from RNC, shows that the availability of guns do make the lives of police more difficult, and put them at greater risk.

Re: Cleveland police union asks for suspension of 'open carry' in wake of Baton [W:48

Cleveland police union asks for suspension of 'open carry' in wake of Baton Rouge, ahead of RNC - CNNPolitics.com

Unbelievable. What a knee jerk reaction. They should allow open carry not only in cleveland but in the republican convention. What if isis shows up? the only way to stop bad guys and corrupt cops with guns is to arm the good guys.
The police, are asking for the suspension of the Constitution?

Ha ha! I haven't seen such a deliberate movement to create a police state since the National Guard kicked down people's doors and confiscated their guns under the order of George W. Bush.

And rest assured, when trying to create a police state it always starts with finding justification to unarm citizens.

I carry my gun in public, but I carry it concealed. It's actually the smart thing to do. If somebody is going to rob a place, the first targets will be people he sees with guns. If he doesn't see a gun on me, I've got the drop on him if I feel threatened. I leave the bravado and political statements to others.

Good point. And if the cops arrive at the scene and you're holding a gun in your hand guess what they think?

Good point. And if the cops arrive at the scene and you're holding a gun in your hand guess what they think?

When cops arrive on the scene, I am no longer holding my weapon because I put it away as soon as I see them coming. If they question me, I will tell them I am licensed to carry, and am carrying, then ask them how they want to proceed. It's really pretty straightforward.

Back
Top Bottom