• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Clergy abuse needs conversion, not radical change, pope says

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
VATICAN CITY -- The problem of abuse by clergy is solved more by a spirit of penitence and conversion by its members than by a radical change of church structures, Pope Benedict XVI said.

He made his comments Sept. 8 during his weekly general audience at the Vatican's Paul VI hall.

In St. Hildegard's time, there were calls for radical reform of the church to fight the problem of abuses made by the clergy, the pope said.

However, she "bitterly reproached demands to subvert the very nature of the church" and reminded people that "a true renewal of the ecclesial community is not achieved so much with a change in the structures as much as with a sincere spirit of penitence" and conversion, the pope said.

"This is a message we must never forget," he said. He called on the Holy Spirit to help "raise up wise, holy and courageous women whose God-given gifts will enrich the life of the church in our own time."

Her work shows how "even theology can receive the distinctive contribution of women, because they are able to speak of God and the mystery of faith with their distinctive intelligence and insight," he said.

Clergy abuse needs conversion, not radical change, pope says | National Catholic Reporter

(I found this article while searching for a painting depicting Martin Luther as the Devil . . . which I can't find)

But I think this is interesting - interesting, #1 - that he's saying that the pedophiles need to be more holy (which is good - and a gimme).
#2 He then holds Hildegarde up in high regard - which in itself isn't out of place considering her history and he's not the only one to do it - but their overall view of women in the church goes against this notion that they truly respect and honor women in the clergy.

The Santa Barbara Independent Roman Catholic Rebels

I suggest that he practice what he preaches - and stop treating women as sub-par people.

The pope should demand that when there is well grounded suspicion of any member of the clergy having committed abuse then they should immediately be defrocked and turned in to the authorities.

Back
Top Bottom