• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clemens to Be Indicted for Perjury in Doping Testimony

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Federal authorities have decided to indict Roger Clemens on charges of making false statements to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs, according to two people briefed on the matter.

An announcement is expected shortly.

The indictment comes nearly two and half years after Clemens and his former trainer Brian McNamee testified under oath at a hearing before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, directly contradicting each other about whether Clemens had used the banned substances.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/sports/baseball/20clemens.html?_r=1

Part of me WANTS MLB held to the fire over doping, and Clemens, while I LIKED him as a pitcher... Lying under oath man.. dumb.

I'm tempered by the fact that this ended up as a Gov't matter of this sort. The House and Senate have more important matters to deal with.

This is just wrong. Not the story, but the fact that point for point, I agree with MrV's analysis.

If Clemens lied to congress, well, that is a crime, prosecute him. On the other hand, why was this going before congress?

This is just wrong. Not the story, but the fact that point for point, I agree with MrV's analysis.

If Clemens lied to congress, well, that is a crime, prosecute him. On the other hand, why was this going before congress?

That makes it a triple whammy then cause I agree with you, agreeing with Mr. V. :)

Tim-

Grandstanding and pretend morality, Congress at it's finest.

I am not sure if it was at the same time, but they did a an at least similar hearing on steroids and wrestling after Benoit killed his family and himself.

When do we get to see Congress folks on trial before Congress?

Look at the slap on the wrist Blago got. They play with a different set of rules.

When do we get to see Congress folks on trial before Congress?

Look at the slap on the wrist Blago got. They play with a different set of rules.

What the hell are you trying to say? Your post makes exactly zero sense.

It's a fricking paradox is what it is.

How can you lie to the biggest liars around?

"It's like having Lindsay Lohan as a Guidance Councillor"

I really don't understand why Congress has to get involved either, it should be an internal MLB matter just like any other sport in the world.

Last edited:
It's a fricking paradox is what it is.

How can you lie to the biggest liars around?

"It's like having Lindsay Lohan as a Guidance Councillor"

Honestly, if she were my guidance councilor, I'd be staring at her boobs the whole time. :lol:

Yea, it's more funny to me than anything else because a lot of people don't take them seriously.
It's unfortunate that people get caught in the crossfire of their stupidity.

Doping is a complicated issue. Kids look up to these guys. Athlete gets caught doping up, and the kid thinks "It must be cool". These athletes are a disgrace. However, this should not be a function of government. Let MLB, the NFL, the NHL, etc, etc, settle this. As for the kids, how about some better parenting?

What the hell are you trying to say? Your post makes exactly zero sense.

Read slower.

The fact that CONGRESS spent their time grandstanding to a bunch of baseball players about ethical behavior is funny, if it weren't so hypocriticaly sad. Can you imagine Durbin or Boehner testifying before Congress? Clemens is a ridiculous fool, but our government shouldn't be bothering with things so trivial to their intended purpose (I realize you want them involved in EVERYTHING, but I don't).

Never do politicians get truly put to the fire in this manner, yet they get up there and lecture about ethics and morality as if they were pure as the driven snow. I used Blago as an example of the special treatment that a common citizen wouldn't have gotten, albeit in a different type of courtroom. You and I wouldn't have a convenient "mistrial" on 20+ counts.

Last edited:
Clemens is just PRAYING for a disputed BCS championship this year to distract Congress.

Read slower.

The fact that CONGRESS spent their time grandstanding to a bunch of baseball players about ethical behavior is funny, if it weren't so hypocriticaly sad. Can you imagine Durbin or Boehner testifying before Congress? Clemens is a ridiculous fool, but our government shouldn't be bothering with things so trivial to their intended purpose (I realize you want them involved in EVERYTHING, but I don't).

Never do politicians get truly put to the fire in this manner, yet they get up there and lecture about ethics and morality as if they were pure as the driven snow. I used Blago as an example of the special treatment that a common citizen wouldn't have gotten, albeit in a different type of courtroom. You and I wouldn't have a convenient "mistrial" on 20+ counts.

Blago was not in congress, is facing 5 years in prison just for his one conviction so far, and more will be coming, and is probably pretty much ruined financially from court costs. You and I probably would not be able to afford the type of lawyers Blago had, but any wealthy person would. Further, it was a jury trial, so it's unlikely that it anything nefarious happened as far as the trial

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/sports/baseball/20clemens.html?_r=1

Part of me WANTS MLB held to the fire over doping, and Clemens, while I LIKED him as a pitcher... Lying under oath man.. dumb.

I'm tempered by the fact that this ended up as a Gov't matter of this sort. The House and Senate have more important matters to deal with.

Let's see, who was it again that made steroids a major part of his state of the Union address...????

W. - the gift that keeps on giving. We'll be suffering his idiocy for years.

I don't understand why Congress involves itself in MLB in the first place. It's none of their business. There are real issues to deal with.

The word "doping" is misleading as MLB bans many legal supplements. Players should be allowed to take whatever they want IMHO but that's on the league.

Last edited:
Let's see, who was it again that made steroids a major part of his state of the Union address...????

WOW, you are like... in love with W. aren't you?

Most people would stop obsessing over what he did or did not say once he left office. YMMV.

Clemens is just PRAYING for a disputed BCS championship this year to distract Congress.

Lucky for the Southern Conference USC isn't eligible for a while.

Sure, it's easy to smack talk when you don't actually ever have to play a PacTen team.

Back
Top Bottom