• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Clean Coal Tech

128shot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hmmm. More energy based threads.

Yeah, now I'm looking into coal. Considering its about the only fossil fuel NOT predicted to peak in the next 100 years, and we sit on 4 centuries worth alone in the USA, I figure I might want to grab some info.

I found this link: http://www.uic.com.au/nip83.htm

but I'm craving for more, and google is not helping me.

Oh, and how exactly do they make oil out of coal? and hows the technology developing there?

128shot said:
Hmmm. More energy based threads.

Yeah, now I'm looking into coal. Considering its about the only fossil fuel NOT predicted to peak in the next 100 years, and we sit on 4 centuries worth alone in the USA, I figure I might want to grab some info.

I found this link: http://www.uic.com.au/nip83.htm

but I'm craving for more, and google is not helping me.

Oh, and how exactly do they make oil out of coal? and hows the technology developing there?

Coal isn't a good thing. Mining companies are strip mining coal now days. To use coal as our main source of fuel would mean distroying most of our forests. It just so happens the most profitable coal areas are under forest land.

Oil separation is the same for separating oil from anything. Oil is just simple strings of hydrocarbons. In order of complexity of the strings of hydrocarbons you have: 1) Natural gases, 2) oil, 3)tar and coal, 4) plastics, 5)plants and animals. If you want to lower the level of complexity simply add heat without oxygen. If you heat any of the above in the presence of oxygen then you get carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas. Without oxygen you get various natural gases and crude oils.

Personally I think it would be better to take 70% of our trash and convert it back to oil. There is probably enough trash to feul a tenth of our oil requirements in the US.

kcasper said:
Coal isn't a good thing. Mining companies are strip mining coal now days. To use coal as our main source of fuel would mean distroying most of our forests. It just so happens the most profitable coal areas are under forest land.

Oil separation is the same for separating oil from anything. Oil is just simple strings of hydrocarbons. In order of complexity of the strings of hydrocarbons you have: 1) Natural gases, 2) oil, 3)tar and coal, 4) plastics, 5)plants and animals. If you want to lower the level of complexity simply add heat without oxygen. If you heat any of the above in the presence of oxygen then you get carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas. Without oxygen you get various natural gases and crude oils.

Personally I think it would be better to take 70% of our trash and convert it back to oil. There is probably enough trash to feul a tenth of our oil requirements in the US.

I disagree, I think thats simplisitic analysis of it all. Since we already have what, 4 centuries worth of coal that we know of? It could easily power our energy resources cheaper, if proper regulation is applied and cleaning up of power plants actually happen, we could conform to enviormentalists AND have a cheap form of energy.

Comparatively, we could also go nuclear.

Back
Top Bottom