• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"classical" music that knocks your socks off

bubbabgone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This one never fails for me.
Respighi - Pines Of Rome - The Appian Way

If you don't know it, give it a go ... it's not long ... stay with it and you won't be disappointed.
If you know it, you understand where I'm coming from.

... here's a different performance ... a bit quicker tempo...

... and yet another ...

All great ... all slightly different ... great piece of music.

I'm constantly amazed to find people who haven't heard this.

The BBC used it as theme tune for the Italia 90 World Cup Football competition.
(Pavarotti was a goalkeeper in his youth.)

Found it. Played before every match they showed.

Last edited:
Beethoven's 9th gets me every time.

I'm constantly amazed to find people who haven't heard this.

The BBC used it as theme tune for the Italia 90 World Cup Football competition.
(Pavarotti was a goalkeeper in his youth.)

Found it. Played before every match they showed.

It's pretty famous, all right ... and still gives chills, brudda.

One should not overlook the works of Gustav Mahler.

Here is the finale of Symphony No.2 'The Resurrection' (fast forward to the last three minutes if 13 minutes is too long).

And the Adagietto from his Symphony No.5 is what first hooked me on Mahler when I was like nine and saw the DVD 'Death in Venice'.

It seems Philip Glass is one of those musicians you either love or hate, but personally, I adore him. Perfect writing music. Thinking music.

This piece is not very well known, but the first movement I played in high school solo competition and won a musical scholarship for. The judge told me he was impressed anyone my age would even attempt this piece. It's one of the very few "classical" pieces that has been written especially for saxophone.

Here's another piece I performed when I was in college. In my opinion, this is the most beautiful piece ever written for saxophone.

Another great classical piece written for the alto sax.

[video]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=prelude+to+aCT+3+LOHENGRIN&view=detail&mid=EDCD8173C9C164E9C833EDCD8173C9C164E9C833&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR&qpvt=prelude+to+aCT+3+LOHENGRIN[/video]

Gotta get back her later ... great selections.

This piece is not very well known, but the first movement I played in high school solo competition and won a musical scholarship for. The judge told me he was impressed anyone my age would even attempt this piece. It's one of the very few "classical" pieces that has been written especially for saxophone.

Whoa ... nice going Graffias.

one should not overlook the works of gustav mahler.

Here is the finale of symphony no.2 'the resurrection' (fast forward to the last three minutes if 13 minutes is too long).

and the adagietto from his symphony no.5 is what first hooked me on mahler when i was like nine and saw the dvd 'death in venice'.

mahler = heavy

It seems Philip Glass is one of those musicians you either love or hate, but personally, I adore him. Perfect writing music. Thinking music.

Glass's The Photographer is one of my all-time favorite albums.

Karlheinz Stockhausen did some fascinating stuff. Gruppen should be required listening to any one into classical music.

Really? Can you explain 'heavy' in the musical sense? :)
Yes - the pieces you posted are good examples - prolific use of range of instrumentation and chorus - often long weighty pieces ... heavy.

As opposed to "light"... This always boosts my optimism levels...

Yes - the pieces you posted are good examples - prolific use of range of instrumentation and chorus - often long weighty pieces ... heavy.

Good answer. Musical tastes are perhaps the most subjective of human reactions, but I always appreciate someone who takes the trouble to explain himself coherently - thanks! :)

In defence of Mahler's 'heaviness', might I point out that he was one of the last of the Late Romantics, and the range of instrumentation, and the use of choral elements, were hallmarks of the flowering of the Romantic musical era. A certain extravagance, if you will, but much the same 'criticisms' may be levelled at perhaps the greatest composer who ever drew breath - Ludwig van Beethoven.

The main criticism I might make of Mahler, is, despite his enormously inventive mind, he perhaps neglects the developmental stage of the classical sonataform. His expositions are prolific - with much new material - and his recapitulations stirring, but he does not develop some of the possibilities of the themes he introduces. Almost the opposite of Bach, who. wonderful as his music is, offerred an economy of exposition, with interminal development, and almost no recapitulation. Beethoven however, managed to tread the median path with magnificent results.

"The Goldberg Variations" by Johann S. Bach.

I don't know any other piece that's so versatile: When I'm sad, it cheers me up. When I'm energetic, it makes me think. When I'm lethargic, it gives me energy. And when I'm nervous, it calms me down.

Just amazing.

Really? Can you explain 'heavy' in the musical sense? :)
To me, "heavy" in the musical sense, means that it hits me. It resonates with me. It makes me feel like I want to be a part of the music.

Back
Top Bottom