• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clarence Thomas is the only Supreme Court justice to take a photo with a political candidate in history

Emily, no offense, but IMO you're naive about that. That ship sailed with the huge corruption of our judicial system as the Federalist Society and right-wing dark money groom an army of ideologically corrupt judicial candidates who Republicans put into office - they're already as corrupted as you worry. There is no 'becoming' corrupted from interviews. The only risk there is that they're exposed for what they are, that people see more and the 'veil is lifted'.

Good point, Craig.

Emily, no offense, but IMO you're naive about that. That ship sailed with the huge corruption of our judicial system as the Federalist Society and right-wing dark money groom an army of ideologically corrupt judicial candidates who Republicans put into office - they're already as corrupted as you worry. There is no 'becoming' corrupted from interviews. The only risk there is that they're exposed for what they are, that people see more and the 'veil is lifted'.
Ideologically corrupt??? WTF does that mean? Not agreeing with fringe kook leftists?

It would be hard to give a worst example of a Supreme Court Justice being political that RBG. She was all politics, no constitution. The liberal justices ALWAYS vote on the left end of the spectrum. Many times, the judges on the right have voted with the leftist justices on different issues, but the left never votes with the judges on the right.

Good point, Craig.
Thank you; if you haven't seen it yet, can I suggest the youtube series of 10-15 minute speeches, with about 13 parts so far, by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse titled "The Scheme" which explain the situation with the court better than anything else I've seen? He discusses how it's actually working - the money, the organizations, the history.

It would be hard to give a worst example of a Supreme Court Justice being political that RBG. She was all politics, no constitution.
I think that is totally false - but something you would expect to hear from someone with radicalized politics, the same sort of thing when people say 'The New York Times nothing but liberal lies'. They're only showing who they are.

Wait a minute. My "spidey sense" is tingling a little.

I might be wrong (as usual), but the article doesn't say when the photo was taken. It might have been taken at some kind of gathering before Walker announced his candidacy. That would make a big difference, I think.

Walker could still use it, of course (but I hope he got Thomas' permission first).
Read the first sentence.

Thank you; if you haven't seen it yet, can I suggest the youtube series of 10-15 minute speeches, with about 13 parts so far, by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse titled "The Scheme" which explain the situation with the court better than anything else I've seen? He discusses how it's actually working - the money, the organizations, the history.

Thanks, Craig--I'll make a note of that!

Read the first sentence.

You're right--the first sentence is, "Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is the only justice in the entire history of the High Court that has taken a photo with a political campaign candidate."

That would imply that he was a candidate when the picture was taken. That got past me (as a lot of things do).

Thanks, Rex.

You're right--the first sentence is, "Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is the only justice in the entire history of the High Court that has taken a photo with a political campaign candidate."

That would imply that he was a candidate when the picture was taken. That got past me (as a lot of things do).

Thanks, Rex.
Not to put too fine a point on it…….this is the first sentence in the link. I provided: ”Justice Clarence Thomas spent time at the U.S. Supreme Court this week with Republican U.S. Senate candidate Herschel Walker, posing for a photo tweeted out by the former football star’s campaign spokesperson.

and the article was dated 8APR2022

Wasted outrage.
What is the test for the appearance of impropriety?

The test for appearance of impropriety is whether the conduct would create in reasonable minds a perception that the judge violated this Code or engaged in other conduct that reflects adversely on the judge's honesty, impartiality, temperament, or fitness to serve as a judge.

What is the test for the appearance of impropriety?

The test for appearance of impropriety is whether the conduct would create in reasonable minds a perception that the judge violated this Code or engaged in other conduct that reflects adversely on the judge's honesty, impartiality, temperament, or fitness to serve as a judge.

It's a photo. What a waste of outrage.

Not to put too fine a point on it…….this is the first sentence in the link. I provided: ”Justice Clarence Thomas spent time at the U.S. Supreme Court this week with Republican U.S. Senate candidate Herschel Walker, posing for a photo tweeted out by the former football star’s campaign spokesperson.

and the article was dated 8APR2022

I'm dying here ( :) ). That sentence makes my position even worse. I guess I never learned how to read.

Or maybe I was distracted by how, right in the face, Walker looks like Rhett Butler.

Anyway, thanks again, Rex!

The photo of SCJ Clarence Thomas and Herschel Walker together means that Thomas must recuse himself whenever cases arise that include the following:

Clemson
Florida State Gators
Tennessee Vols
Payton Manning
Wide Receivers
Linebackers
Basketball players
Baseball players
Black people who aren't Herschel Walker
Anyone who played Running Back
Rugby (just to be safe)

I think that is totally false - but something you would expect to hear from someone with radicalized politics, the same sort of thing when people say 'The New York Times nothing but liberal lies'. They're only showing who they are.

That answer is hilarious. In the other thread about the Republicans wining over the middle voters, I mention that the current democratic party is too extreme, and the stats from MSNBC back me up. And now here you are calling ME having "radicalized politics"? The numbers from MSNBC back up me as being more moderate than you are. Admit it, it is you who are at the extreme!

That answer is hilarious. In the other thread about the Republicans wining over the middle voters, I mention that the current democratic party is too extreme, and the stats from MSNBC back me up. And now here you are calling ME having "radicalized politics"? The numbers from MSNBC back up me as being more moderate than you are. Admit it, it is you who are at the extreme!

Yes, you are radicalized, and I'm tired in going with circles with you about how you can't tell the difference between the truth and public opinion, as you think the info showing polling bad for Democrats proves whether Democrats are correct. To someone radicalized like you the truth looks extreme. FDR looks extreme to many today.

Back
Top Bottom