• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Claremont students refuse to live with whites

ChezC3

Relentless Thinking Fury
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A group of students at the Claremont Colleges in search of a roommate insist that the roommate not be white.

Student Karé Ureña (PZ ’18) posted on Facebook that non-white students in need of housing arrangements should reach out to either her or two other students with whom she plans to live in an off-campus house. The post states that “POC [people of color] only” will be considered for this living opportunity. “I don’t want to live with any white folks,” Ureña added.

But wait it gets better

“People of color are allowed to create safe POC only spaces. It is not reverse racism or discriminatory, it is self preservation [sic],” Sara Roschdi (PZ ’17), another Pitzer Latino Student Union member, stated. “Reverse racism isn’t a thing.”

Well she's right, there is no reverse racism, there is only racism. It doesn't seem they care much about segregation.

Now let's just imagine Whitey Whitegirl posting a listing that said "Coloreds need not apply"

We all know what the reaction and the repercussion would be...

Thanks, Mod's merge if you'd be so kind.

But wait it gets better

Well she's right, there is no reverse racism, there is only racism. It doesn't seem they care much about segregation.

Now let's just imagine Whitey Whitegirl posting a listing that said "Coloreds need not apply"

It's a private living arrangement, so her choice obviously.

In my old neighborhood rental ads like this placed by Caucasians weren't so in one's face though, but rather stated something like "prefer mature European women or gentleman", etc, as a way to get around the EOC.

Of course, the old neighborhood legitimately was European - with many Polish speaking!

42 United States Code Sections 3601-3619 and 3631.

The federal Fair Housing Act of 1968, as amended, prohibit discrimination on the basis of any of the protected classes: race or color; religion; national origin; familial status or age—includes families with children under the age of 18 and pregnant women; disability or handicap, or sex. The federal Fair Housing Act applies to all aspects of the landlord-tenant relationship. A landlord (the person advertising for a roommate in this instance) may not advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based on race, religion, or any other protected class.

In fact, all someone would have to do to cause this Princess a world of hurt, would be to go to this web site and file a federal complaint on-line: Housing Discrimination/U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

The federal Fair Housing Act of 1968, as amended, prohibit discrimination on the basis of any of the protected classes: race or color; religion; national origin; familial status or age—includes families with children under the age of 18 and pregnant women; disability or handicap, or sex. The federal Fair Housing Act applies to all aspects of the landlord-tenant relationship. A landlord (the person advertising for a roommate in this instance) may not advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based on race, religion, or any other protected class.

In fact, all someone would have to do to cause this Princess a world of hurt, would be to go to this web site and file a federal complaint on-line: Housing Discrimination/U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

I imagine you are not the first one to figure that out. I think they will be getting plenty.

But wait it gets better

"It is not reverse racism or discriminatory, it is self preservation"

Does this mean she thinks her life would be in danger if a white person were to live with her?

How do people get so ****ed up in the head?

Also what will the long term effects be of having people like t his out in the real world?

Are we going back to segregation willingly on the part of the blacks?

As I may or may not have said in the other thread: yep, that's racism.

I imagine you are not the first one to figure that out. I think they will be getting plenty.

My concern is not that HUD will be getting plenty of complaints, but rather, that under the current Administration that HUD and/or the DOJ would choose not to enforce the law given the circumstances.

I remeber when they started bussing. Once the kids got to school they would just break up into groups of their own race. Multicultrism doesnt work.

"It is not reverse racism or discriminatory, it is self preservation"

Does this mean she thinks her life would be in danger if a white person were to live with her?

How do people get so ****ed up in the head?

Also what will the long term effects be of having people like t his out in the real world?

Are we going back to segregation willingly on the part of the blacks?

She is speaking of her culture, I believe.

But if Whitey wants to preserve his he's a racist SOB...

There are more of these types than you might think, here in Chicago they're brazen... They think nothing of saying "F'n white people" or something of the sort within earshot, or hell right in front of you.

Most blacks "self segregate" They don't want to be around white people anymore than white people want to be around them. Same with Latinos

She is speaking of her culture, I believe.

But if Whitey wants to preserve his he's a racist SOB...

There are more of these types than you might think, here in Chicago they're brazen... They think nothing of saying "F'n white people" or something of the sort within earshot, or hell right in front of you.

Most blacks "self segregate" They don't want to be around white people anymore than white people want to be around them. Same with Latinos

Isn't the narrative that whites have put blacks in ghettos and don't let them out?

I have seen that posted here n this board more than once.

I remeber when they started bussing. Once the kids got to school they would just break up into groups of their own race. Multicultrism doesnt work.

Like attracts like. Kids will naturally flow with people that are like them.

And yes, one of the most devastating things to occur in the country was the left's multiculti garbage. But like I said, leftists FUBAR everything they touch.

The 9th Circuit at least has found that roommate postings aren't subject to the Fair Housing Act like landlords are. http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2012/02/02/09-55272.pdf

I was enrolled in a non-bussing school with a friends address so I didn't have to take the ride into central Los Angeles.

What a stupid system.

Very few of the blacks that were bussed into our school took advantage of the opportunity, with the exception of Ice Cube, who was at my school and who used the experience to see how normal people live.

Going the other way I spent a New Years Eve with a friend that lived in Compton and at 12 gun shots rung out all over the place.

After seeing I was surprised, he asked "don't they shoot guns where you are from"? I know he was joking but not really.

The 9th Circuit at least has found that roommate postings aren't subject to the Fair Housing Act like landlords are. http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2012/02/02/09-55272.pdf

I had read articles about this ruling when researching my other posts, but couldn't find the actual ruling to read myself, which is why I hadn't referred to it or discussed it previously. Thank you for both finding and posting it. I sure hope that their ruling stands the test of time, and potentially the SCOTUS if it ever reaches that point. Because, I totally agree with them.

Specifically, here's what I feel are the benchmarks of their opinion:

(printed page number 981 / PDF document page number 7)
ANALYSIS, I, § [4], ¶ 1-3 - The FHA defines “dwelling” as “any building, structure, or portion thereof which is occupied as, or designed or intended for occupancy as, a residence by one or more families.” Id. § 3602(b). A dwelling is thus a living unit designed or intended for occupancy by a family, meaning that it ordinarily has the elements generally associated with a family residence: sleeping spaces, bathroom and kitchen facilities, and common areas, such as living rooms, dens and hallways.

It would be difficult, though not impossible, to divide a single-family house or apartment into separate “dwellings” for purposes of the statute. Is a “dwelling” a bedroom plus a right to access common areas? What if roommates share a bedroom? Could a “dwelling” be a bottom bunk and half an armoire? It makes practical sense to interpret “dwelling” as an independent living unit and stop the FHA at the front door.

There’s no indication that Congress intended to interfere with personal relationships inside the home. ...

(printed page number 982 / PDF page number 8)
ANALYSIS, II, § [5], ¶ 1 - The Supreme Court has recognized that “the freedom to enter into and carry on certain intimate or private relationships is a fundamental element of liberty protected by the Bill of Rights.” Bd. of Dirs. of Rotary Int’l v. Rotary Club of Duarte, 481 U.S. 537, 545 (1987). “[C]hoices to enter into and maintain certain intimate human relationships must be secured against undue intrusion by the State because of the role of such relationships in safeguarding the individual freedom that is central to our constitutional scheme.” Roberts v. U.S. Jaycees, 468 U.S. 609, 617-18 (1984). Courts have extended the right of intimate association to marriage, child bearing, child rearing and cohabitation with relatives. Id. While the right protects only “highly personal relationships,” IDK, Inc. v. Clark Cnty., 836 F.2d 1185, 1193 (9th Cir. 1988) (quoting Roberts, 468 U.S. at 618), the right isn’t restricted exclusively to family, Bd. of Dirs. of Rotary Int’l, 481 U.S. at 545. The right to association also implies a right not to associate. (emphasis added by Beaudreaux) Roberts, 428 U.S. at 623.

(printed page number 983-984 / PDF page number 9-10)
ANALYSIS, II, § [8], ¶ 1 - Government regulation of an individual’s ability to pick a roommate thus intrudes into the home, which “is entitled to special protection as the center of the private lives of our people.” Minnesota v. Carter, 525 U.S. 83, 99 (1998) (Kennedy, J., concurring). “Liberty protects the person from unwarranted government intrusions into a dwelling or other private places. In our tradition the State is not omnipresent in the home.” (emphasis added by Beaudreaux) Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558, 562 (2003). Holding that the FHA applies inside a home or apartment would allow the government to restrict our ability to choose roommates compatible with our lifestyles. This would be a serious invasion of privacy, autonomy and security.

(printed page number 987-988 / PDF page number 13-14)
ANALYSIS, ***, § [13], ¶ 1 - Because precluding individuals from selecting roommates based on their sex, sexual orientation and familial status raises substantial constitutional concerns, we interpret the FHA and FEHA as not applying to the sharing of living units. Therefore, we hold that Roommate’s prompting, sorting and publishing of information to facilitate roommate selection is not forbidden by the FHA or FEHA. Accordingly, we vacate the district court’s judgment and remand for entry of judgment for defendant. ...

[...]

I'd like to add, that what makes this even more apropos (IMHO) and even more defendable from an ideological standpoint, much less from a Constitutional standpoint, is that this ruling is from the 9th Circuit, the most liberal/progressive court in the US Federal Court system - meaning, that such a Constitutionally conservative finding form this court, of all courts, should pass muster with even the most strict of Constitutional scrutiny possible.

Very few of the blacks that were bussed into our school took advantage of the opportunity, with the exception of Ice Cube, who was at my school and who used the experience to see how normal people live.

That about sums it up.

Isn't the narrative that whites have put blacks in ghettos and don't let them out?

I have seen that posted here n this board more than once.

I use to live on Halsted and Willow. One street north of North Ave and roughly 1 1/2 blocks away from Cabrini Green. North Ave was the dividing line between Lincoln Park, an affluent Northside neighborhood and Cabrini Green, (aka Gangster City) one of the worst ghettos in the country. (They are all torn down now, mixed income development replacing them, gentrification winning the day)

They never went north of North Ave. I don't remember ever seeing a wall or Border Patrol.

The person in question isn't a landlord. Advertising for a roommate doesn't mean you own the building.

Back
Top Bottom