• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Claremont students refuse to live with whites[W:139]

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Claremont students refuse to live with whites

A group of students at the Claremont Colleges in search of a roommate insist that the roommate not be white.

Student Karé Ureña (PZ ’18) posted on Facebook that non-white students in need of housing arrangements should reach out to either her or two other students with whom she plans to live in an off-campus house. The post states that “POC [people of color] only” will be considered for this living opportunity. “I don’t want to live with any white folks,” Ureña added.

“People of color are allowed to create safe POC only spaces. It is not reverse racism or discriminatory, it is self preservation [sic],” Sara Roschdi (PZ ’17), another Pitzer Latino Student Union member, stated. “Reverse racism isn’t a thing.”

“We don’t want to have to tiptoe around fragile white feelings in a space where we just want to relax and be comfortable,” commented Nina Lee, a Women’s Studies major. “I could live with white people, but I would be far more comfortable living with other poc.”

So this is perfectly OK?

We need to take a hard look at where real racism actually exists and in what communities.

Re: Claremont students refuse to live with whites

http://campusreform.org/?ID=7977

So this is perfectly OK?

We need to take a hard look at where real racism actually exists and in what communities.

Yeah, it's OK. It's racist, but it's OK. People should be free to live with whom they want. If a bunch of white folk only wanted to live with white folk, that would be OK too.

Yeah, it's OK. It's racist, but it's OK. People should be free to live with whom they want. If a bunch of white folk only wanted to live with white folk, that would be OK too.

But you know that wouldn't be OK, especially to say it out loud. It would lead SportsCenter.

I'd say that Pitzers first two core "mission and values" statements have been a failure.

Pitzer Mission and Values

And yes, this IS racism. The same kind of racism that was in Jim Crow laws.

True that.

I'd say that Pitzers first two core "mission and values" statements have been a failure.

Well of course it's racism. It's undeniable that it is.

Racism knows no color. Anyone of any race has the ability to be racist.

Would they be comfortable living with someone who was 1/32 Native American, or are they looking for more purity than that?

Apparently, the racist students live in off campus housing, beyond the control of Claremont Colleges. Jim Crow laws were state sanctioned racism. Entirely different, albeit disgusting, animals.

Well of course it's racism. It's undeniable that it is.

Racism knows no color. Anyone of any race has the ability to be racist.

Not according to SJW's. According to SJW's only whites can be racist while people of color can only be bigots. Its stupid, but I've heard it lots.

Not according to SJW's. According to SJW's only whites can be racist while people of color can only be bigots. Its stupid, but I've heard it lots.

Oh I know, I hear that alot from that crowd.

Racism = Prejudice + Power, so POC's can't be racist because white people have all the power.

It's a BS argument.

So this is perfectly OK?

She is right about one thing, there is no "reverse racism", there's only racism. And this is it. Can you imagine if white students demanded the same?

She is right about one thing, there is no "reverse racism", there's only racism. And this is it. Can you imagine if white students demanded the same?

That's what always gets me. When the SJW's do stuff like this, I always go "If white people had done this, they'd be seen as racist bigots."

Apparently, the racist students live in off campus housing, beyond the control of Claremont Colleges. Jim Crow laws were state sanctioned racism. Entirely different, albeit disgusting, animals.

They are advertising for room mates. That means that they are subject to anti-discrimination laws. I hope they get sued.

Now as to what you state. Those mission and core values is what they want to teach the people going to that college. If these students are doing this then I'd say that they (pitzer college) failed in their mission and core values. I never stated, or implied, that Pitzer College could do anything about their off campus activities. Although we have seen in the past where college's and universities have suspended and even expelled students for behavior that they exhibited off campus. So I see no reason why Pitzer College couldn't do something about this.

As for the Jim Crow laws, I stated that its the same kind of racism that was in Jim Crow laws. IE: One race not allowing certain things based on another's race.

Yeah - it should be okay but the question is, who would be targeted for it not being okay?

This student should be automatically expelled.

I look all white, but my shadow is black.

So this is perfectly OK?

This is possibly a violation of housing code. unless they are renting a private room in a home that they own.
if they are not then they cannot discriminate against people who would want to live with them.

They are advertising for room mates. That means that they are subject to anti-discrimination laws. I hope they get sued.

I don't think so. If a landlord were to advertise for renters and do this, it would be anti-discrimination under the law. I don't there is a law regulating who people can choose as roommates.

Now as to what you state. Those mission and core values is what they want to teach the people going to that college. If these students are doing this then I'd say that they (pitzer college) failed in their mission and core values. I never stated, or implied, that Pitzer College could do anything about their off campus activities. Although we have seen in the past where college's and universities have suspended and even expelled students for behavior that they exhibited off campus. So I see no reason why Pitzer College couldn't do something about this.

As for the Jim Crow laws, I stated that its the same kind of racism that was in Jim Crow laws. IE: One race not allowing certain things based on another's race.

From the OP's article, an RA's opinion:

Another RA and Black Student Union member, Jessica Saint-Fleur (PZ ’18) added to the thread of comments, “White people have cause [sic] so much mf [sic] trauma on these campuses … why in the world would I want to live with that? Bring that into my home? A place that is supposed to be safe for me?”

:roll: :3oops: :roll:

I don't see what's wrong with removing the chance at having racist roommates/housemates

Last edited:

So let me see if I understand this

There are three Claremont students who are looking for a fourth person to share an apt with. They refuse to consider a white person.

And this is signicant because.........:shrug:

So this is perfectly OK?

The smartest thing for admins of the 5 C's to do is expel the students who promote this type of objective.

They are taking up space that could otherwise be filled with people who will contribute something to society.

The smartest thing for admins of the 5 C's to do is expel the students who promote this type of objective.

They are taking up space that could otherwise be filled with people who will contribute something to society.
Expelling students not for breaking laws or codes of conduct sets a great precedent

I don't see what's wrong with removing the chance at having racist roommates/housemates

So you're fine with white students doing this too?

Back
Top Bottom