• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Claim : "Temperatures could rise over 200 degrees"

BmanMcfly

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Networks Embrace ‘Catastrophic’ Warnings of Latest IPCC Report | Media Research Center
http://mrc.org/articles/networks-embrace-catastrophic-warnings-latest-ipcc-report

The UN’s climate panel (IPCC) released its latest warning about "catastrophic" climate change on Sept. 27, garnering the frantic attention of all three broadcast networks that night. CBS even aired a claim about temperatures rising “more than 200 degrees."

Predictably, the evening news shows on ABC, CBS and NBC Sept. 27 repeated the IPCC’s dire warnings without including any skeptics and without mentioning past failures such as their inability to accurately predict warming or sea level rise.

ABC’s “World News with Diane Sawyer,” NBC “Nightly News” and CBS “Evening News” all failed to include criticism of the IPCC with the exception of a swipe against “skeptics” on ABC. NBC continued to link weather events like Hurricane Sandy to climate change while CBS aired a statistic that one scientist called “meaningless.”

It gets worse through the article...

This is after the earth has been slightly cooling for the past 10 years with no warming for about 15 years...

These eco-fascists, instead of looking at reality have decided to double down on their lies and alarmist rhetoric to scare people into signing up to the tyrannical and ineffective policies (well, effective at keeping the money flowing to their pockets).

How much more do these people need to lie before everyone gives up on them??? (oh I know it's only the true believers / kool-aid drinkers that still buy this bs)

Temperatures will rise and fall in the future. This has been going on for a long time.

Nothing new about this.

If you want to be comfortable it's a good idea to have an air conditioner and a heater.

I don't waste my time worrying about climate change, and I don't pay much attention to weather forecasts past tomorrow because they are seldom correct.

Last edited:
I've never seen any publication claim a 200 degree increase. Feel free to show me where that idea came from.

A reasonable person would probably think that alleged CBS report was an error rather than a serious claim.

Deuce, if you read the site from MRC, you will find a fine example of spinning reality.

the words as printed on the page
... he made a claim that Principal Research Scientist Dr. Roy Spencer of the University of Alabama in Huntsville called “totally misleading and irresponsible.”

“Had all that heat gone into the atmosphere, air temperatures could have risen by more than 200 degrees [showed 212 degrees onscreen],” Tracy warned.

Spencer told the MRC’s Business and Media Institute, “The oceans have warmed by an average of less than 0.1 deg. C (only the SURFACE by about 0.5 deg.) since the 1950s, and since that is so much water mass, the absorbed heat equivalent to 0.1 deg. IF RELEASED ALL AT ONCE IN THE ATMOSPHERE [it] would, indeed, be hundreds of degrees. But this is physically impossible. It is a meaningless statistic.

The reporter made a statement about the potential rise in atmospheric temps IF the oceans had not absorbed the energy entering the atmosphere. Dr Roy Spencer, though one of the few qualified climate warming skeptics, can be counted upon to speak in the appropriate manner to reinforce the deniers claims without actually lying. He admits the potential for such dramatic temperature increase is a real physical fact, in fact his words indicate an increase of "hundreds of degrees" and not just two hundred if the solar energy absorbed by the oceans were released instantaneously. Spencer does however say that such an occurrence is extremely unlikely.

As we don't have all of the reporter's words, we don't know at this time if he wasn't using the potential temperature increase as a way of showing to viewers the amount of energy involved in the process. Knowing the propensities of the Brent Bozell site, one can be assured that some relevant words and phrases the reporter spoke were not included in MRC screed.

Ah, well, that's not even close to the presentation bman was giving.

Shocker.

Networks Embrace ‘Catastrophic’ Warnings of Latest IPCC Report | Media Research Center
Networks Embrace

It gets worse through the article...

This is after the earth has been slightly cooling for the past 10 years with no warming for about 15 years...

These eco-fascists, instead of looking at reality have decided to double down on their lies and alarmist rhetoric to scare people into signing up to the tyrannical and ineffective policies (well, effective at keeping the money flowing to their pockets).

How much more do these people need to lie before everyone gives up on them??? (oh I know it's only the true believers / kool-aid drinkers that still buy this bs)

Two hundred degrees? Well, maybe if the earth fell into the sun....:)

Two hundred degrees? Well, maybe if the earth fell into the sun....:)

Or if all the oceans heat suddenly dumped into the atmosphere?

Or if all the oceans heat suddenly dumped into the atmosphere?

Yeah, if you abolish the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Deuce, if you read the site from MRC, you will find a fine example of spinning reality.

the words as printed on the page

The reporter made a statement about the potential rise in atmospheric temps IF the oceans had not absorbed the energy entering the atmosphere. Dr Roy Spencer, though one of the few qualified climate warming skeptics, can be counted upon to speak in the appropriate manner to reinforce the deniers claims without actually lying. He admits the potential for such dramatic temperature increase is a real physical fact, in fact his words indicate an increase of "hundreds of degrees" and not just two hundred if the solar energy absorbed by the oceans were released instantaneously. Spencer does however say that such an occurrence is extremely unlikely.

As we don't have all of the reporter's words, we don't know at this time if he wasn't using the potential temperature increase as a way of showing to viewers the amount of energy involved in the process. Knowing the propensities of the Brent Bozell site, one can be assured that some relevant words and phrases the reporter spoke were not included in MRC screed.

I think that postulating that heat could escape the ocean and heat the atmosphere up 200 degrees is a particularly alarmist and misleading way to spin the physical facts. Such a thing, as Spencer says, isn't just extremely unlikely, it's impossible. It would violate the laws of thermodynamics.

I've never seen any publication claim a 200 degree increase. Feel free to show me where that idea came from.

A reasonable person would probably think that alleged CBS report was an error rather than a serious claim.

But as we know from many who post here there are those that might try and accept such claims at face value . Be that out of political expediency or just plain stupidity. Those that make such public claims know this. Just look at the Venus analogy ,drowning polar bears and swamping sea levels for other examples of such dubious claims . Theres always some sucker out there will swallow this then spread the word :(

Last edited:
I think that postulating that heat could escape the ocean and heat the atmosphere up 200 degrees is a particularly alarmist and misleading way to spin the physical facts. Such a thing, as Spencer says, isn't just extremely unlikely, it's impossible. It would violate the laws of thermodynamics.

He's trying to illustrate how much heat the ocean is absorbing. (a lot) I think you're reading way too much into this.

But as we know from many who post here there are those that might try and accept such claims at face value . Be that out of political expediency or just plain stupidity. Those that make such public claims know this. Just look at the Venus analogy ,drowning polar bears and swamping sea levels for other examples of such dubious claims . Theres always some sucker out there will swallow this then spread the word :(

There are equally stupid people who think things like "the earth was once warmer than this, therefore humans can't influence climate."

I do not now, and never will, care what stupid people think. Setting policy based on the opinions of stupid people is inherently stupid.

There are equally stupid people who think things like "the earth was once warmer than this, therefore humans can't influence climate."

I do not now, and never will, care what stupid people think. Setting policy based on the opinions of stupid people is inherently stupid.

Consider; amongst the (admittedly less ludicrous) statements and facts brought up in the article, there are numerous individuals absurd statements whom might have been involved in some "peer-reviewed" papers you've likely cited.

And there are even more stupid people who need no proof to know that we automatically must be in control of it and must therefore economically self destruct. :roll:

And there are even more stupid people who need no proof to know that we automatically must be in control of it and must therefore economically self destruct. :roll:

Are we going to keep trading examples of idiots or is there something more to add?

Last edited:
Which is impossible.

Ya, the original article pointed out that one ridiculous claim along with a dozen other little facts... And these are people within the UN many of them.

I wonder if Stephen Hawking ever has to worry about how he writes articles for fear that morons are going to take everything he says out of context. The IPCC here was being extremely naive if they didn't foresee how the 200 degree rise, whatever the context or legitimate point they were making, would play out in denialist blogs.

I wonder if Stephen Hawking ever has to worry about how he writes articles for fear that morons are going to take everything he says out of context. The IPCC here was being extremely naive if they didn't foresee how the 200 degree rise, whatever the context or legitimate point they were making, would play out in denialist blogs.

Pardon my cynicism here but perhaps the political body that is the IPCC knew exactly what they were doing with this new soundbite in the hope the ever sensationalist media would rabidly oversell it for them . Its not like its the first time they have done this after all and only a 'moron' would fail to acknowlege that :roll:

Pardon my cynicism here but perhaps the political body that is the IPCC knew exactly what they were doing with this new soundbite in the hope the ever sensationalist media would rabidly oversell it for them . Its not like its the first time they have done this after all and only a 'moron' would fail to acknowlege that :roll:

The "200 degree rise" remark was already explained.

The media do soundbites not 'explanations' . They just love stuff like this

If the media is set on sensationalizing every story for maximum clicks and viewership, no amount of care in how you write your reports is going to control for that. It's why it's been said over and over and over again that you can't pay too much attention to blogs and news stories, and should look to the scientists' original reports first hand instead.

Are you accepting that the IPCC has been misrepresented here?

If the media is set on sensationalizing every story for maximum clicks and viewership, no amount of care in how you write your reports is going to control for that. It's why it's been said over and over and over again that you can't pay too much attention to blogs and news stories, and should look to the scientists' original reports first hand instead.

I totally agree though not about the motivations of the IPCC in dropping such ammunition for them. This whole agenda is a media driven politicians wet dream and it would appear its the more naieve and idealistic younger folks that are most susceptable :roll:

Last edited:
I totally agree. This whole agenda is a media driven politicians wet dream and it would appear its the idealistic younger folks that are most susceptable :roll:

It's amazing how you and I can agree on this one simple fact (the media sensationalizes) and arrive at such wildly different conclusions from there.

Therefore, if the media sensationalizes, and you get your facts from the media, maybe your facts aren't quite spot on?

Back
Top Bottom