• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

City of Miami Police to Discipline Officer Photographed Wearing Pro-Trump Mask Inside Polling Location

Because it is against the fkn law and it is against policy at his workplace...how hard is it to get that through your head?
No it's not. He can vote in uniform and it is not against the law in Florida to wear message apparel (as long as you get in, vote and get out). You should do at least a tiny bit of homework before you start barking bullshit at others in your posts.

With his police uniform on?
Of course as long as he is voting. I am a poll worker and when I decide to vote I can go on break walk out to my car put on my Trump hat walk in and vote then go back out to my car and put it away and come back in and continue to working the polls. When I am a voter the laws pertaining to voters apply. When I am a poll worker the laws pertaining to a poll worker apply. It is wonderful to live in a free country.

Of course as long as he is voting. I am a poll worker and when I decide to vote I can go on break walk out to my car put on my Trump hat walk in and vote then go back out to my car and put it away and come back in and continue to working the polls. When I am a voter the laws pertaining to voters apply. When I am a poll worker the laws pertaining to a poll worker apply. It is wonderful to live in a free country.
Wow. Must be wonderful. Some Americans have to stand in line for hours to vote.

Generally, police officers are not permitted in the polling place. Uniformed or plain-clothes police officers must remain 100 feet or more from the entrance of a polling place. The exceptions to this rule are: • when a police officer is personally voting; • when the polling place is located in a building that also houses a police station; and • when police officers are summoned to preserve the peace. (25 P.S. § 3060).

and

Political participation.--No police officer may participate in any political or election campaign while on duty or in uniform or while using borough property otherwise than to exercise the officer's right of suffrage.
He deserves to be fired....he violated department policy and law...first he went with the political mask on while in uniform and second he went in uniform...he should have voted out of uniform and without the Trump mask.

Generally, police officers are not permitted in the polling place. Uniformed or plain-clothes police officers must remain 100 feet or more from the entrance of a polling place. The exceptions to this rule are: • when a police officer is personally voting; • when the polling place is located in a building that also houses a police station; and • when police officers are summoned to preserve the peace. (25 P.S. § 3060).

and

Political participation.--No police officer may participate in any political or election campaign while on duty or in uniform or while using borough property otherwise than to exercise the officer's right of suffrage.
He deserves to be fired....he violated department policy and law...first he went with the political mask on while in uniform and second he went in uniform...he should have voted out of uniform and without the Trump mask.

He was exercising his right to vote. He did nothing wrong according to the portion of the law and policy you posted.

He was exercising his right to vote. He did nothing wrong according to the portion of the law and policy you posted.
If you read that, while he is in uniform he cannot express political preference. He was doing just that. He violated the law and department policy. Hatch act also forbids him from doing so. Had he not been in uniform, you would be right. He should not even go to vote in uniform, because it can, by itself, be considered voter intimidation according to that.

If you read that, while he is in uniform he cannot express political preference. He was doing just that. He violated the law and department policy. Hatch act also forbids him from doing so. Had he not been in uniform, you would be right. He should not even go to vote in uniform, because it can, by itself, be considered voter intimidation according to that.

“The exceptions to this rule are: when a police officer is personally voting.”

“...otherwise than to exercise the officer's right of suffrage.”

“The exceptions to this rule are: when a police officer is personally voting.”

“...otherwise than to exercise the officer's right of suffrage.”
Which means they can vote, they can exercise their right to vote in uniform, not that they can wear political accessories while in uniform simply because they are voting.

Sure. Long established that cops can vote while in uniform. Why can't he express his opinion just like everyone else can while voting. What's the fear?

I understand that Trump supporters don't care about stuff like this because Trump supporters, generally, are immoral, unethical, fascists and authoritarians, and are also just bullies in general who think it's funny to push other people around, but it's still wrong.

And if I can't convince you of that, then maybe a more "powerful" authority can...

City officials call action 'unacceptable,' a violation of department policy
The photo and description of the incident is true, and city officials have responded.

An hour after the tweet from Simeonidis, the Miami Police Department condemned the behavior on Twitter.

"We are aware of the photograph being circulated of a Miami Police officer wearing a political mask in uniform," it wrote. "This behavior is unacceptable, a violation of departmental policy, and is being addressed immediately."

That if you don't vote for Trump, the cop is going to shoot you? Get a grip.

That's a strawman. No one suggested the cop is going to shoot anyone. And then you're telling me and others to "get a grip" based on something no one never suggested.

He cannot express his political opinions while wearing his official uniform. It's wrong according to the policy of his dept. and it's wrong as a matter of general principle.

The reason? It's a coercive and abusive use of his authority as a police officer.

and

I don't agree. A citizens right to vote should not be restricted because he is a police officer or anyone else. He should not be forced to go somewhere and remove his uniform to show up and vote and neither should anyone else. Now if the police or anyone is stopping people from reaching the polling station or standing between the voters and the polls I agree. That should go for everyone not just discriminating from the fine people upholding our law and protecting the people. Now I don't care about police policy. I am working the polls and I am concerned about anyone being restricted from voting. I don't care what their job is.

I don't agree. A citizens right to vote should not be restricted because he is a police officer or anyone else. He should not be forced to go somewhere and remove his uniform to show up and vote and neither should anyone else. Now if the police or anyone is stopping people from reaching the polling station or standing between the voters and the polls I agree. That should go for everyone not just discriminating from the fine people upholding our law and protecting the people. Now I don't care about police policy. I am working the polls and I am concerned about anyone being restricted from voting. I don't care what their job is.
His right to vote is not restricted. Either he should have another mask, since it is a violation of department policy for him to wear a political mask while on duty, which means in uniform he should not be wearing a political mask, or he should not have shown up in uniform to vote if he was not on duty or soon to be on duty. Did he not have a politically neutral mask anywhere?
He can even vote without a mask (not that I agree with this, but it is allowed).

wearing campaignwear in a polling area is illegal...what part of illegal do you not understand?

I’m not suggesting this is equal, because it’s not, but if I wear a Biden/Harris t-shirt while voting in a polling place, is that illegal?

Again, I’m not suggesting that’s equivalent to the incident in the OP. I’m just curious.

That used to be true. But then the Black Panthers got away with wielding billy clubs and threatening voters at a polling place in 2008 and the DOJ said that was fine.
Those two unarmed guys back in 2008 sure continue to scare a lot of people....they never threatened anyone (except being black) and left when asked to.

Some people think that cops should be held to a different standard, not be held accountable.
Part of the problem that brought about BLM....that cops are NOT held to a standard.

wearing campaignwear in a polling area is illegal...what part of illegal do you not understand?

The part were it was someone supporting his guy. We all know if it was a Biden mask they would be screaming about illegal advertising voter fraud and everything else under the sun

His right is not being restricted, he just needs to show up like the rest of us, in street clothes.

Those two unarmed guys back in 2008 sure continue to scare a lot of people....they never threatened anyone (except being black) and left when asked to.

Making threatening gestures at voters with truncheons while shouting racial epithets and “you about to be ruled by the black man” at them is considered threatening by any reasonable person. And no, they didn’t leave when asked. One of them was ordered to leave by the police and the other was allowed to stay because in somebody’s mind he was fit to be a certified poll watcher.

Last edited:
It still was not correct for them to be there. However, they did leave when asked. I wonder what will happen on Nov 3. My worries about that led me to vote early and in person. I suspect that fear is driving a whole lot of other voters as well. My mother refuses to vote before and will be there on Nov 3 to vote for Biden and she is 70. I am praying all is well at her precinct.

I understand that Trump supporters don't care about stuff like this because Trump supporters, generally, are immoral, unethical, fascists and authoritarians, and are also just bullies in general who think it's funny to push other people around, but it's still wrong.

And if I can't convince you of that, then maybe a more "powerful" authority can...

That's a strawman. No one suggested the cop is going to shoot anyone. And then you're telling me and others to "get a grip" based on something no one never suggested.

He cannot express his political opinions while wearing his official uniform. It's wrong according to the policy of his dept. and it's wrong as a matter of general principle.

The reason? It's a coercive and abusive use of his authority as a police officer.
Yes, you've made it crystal clear that you have nothing but hatred and disgust for half of your fellow Americans. Would you really be coerced by seeing this cop voting with a trump mask on? Coerced to do what? Vote for Trump? Really?

Yes, you've made it crystal clear that you have nothing but hatred and disgust for half of your fellow Americans.

It's not half anymore, buddy. It's a lot less than half. People are sick of Trump and his ignorant, hateful supporters.

You guys are going to lose...big time.

Would you really be coerced by seeing this cop voting with a trump mask on? Coerced to do what? Vote for Trump? Really?

Well, guess what? His department is concerned enough about the issue that the police officer is going to be disciplined.

His right to vote is not restricted. Either he should have another mask, since it is a violation of department policy for him to wear a political mask while on duty, which means in uniform he should not be wearing a political mask, or he should not have shown up in uniform to vote if he was not on duty or soon to be on duty. Did he not have a politically neutral mask anywhere?
He can even vote without a mask (not that I agree with this, but it is allowed).
If he was on break voting he should be allowed to wear a political mask to vote. Now if it is against police dept. policy to wear political things while in uniform on or off duty that is a separate matter to be taken up by the police department. But wearing political attire and showing up to vote is legal for all citizens. This includes the police.

Back
Top Bottom