• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Citizen to Serf! What happens to the voter when the voting is done!

Practical

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
They love you during the election cycle, then the election happens and you become inert vegetation just waiting for the hand of the legislator to decide where you should grow, how high you should be, where to be pruned and clipped, and which weeds to be removed. They don't see you as citizens, you are bawling children waiting for them to set things right. Isn't it amazing how you can raise a family, buy property, support yourself fully, but still need their stamp on your mattress? Isn't that just grand? In one generation we went from a 'self sufficient' to a 'cradle to grave' society. And we did it to ourselves!

Hari Seldon

Stable Genius
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
They love you during the election cycle, then the election happens and you become inert vegetation just waiting for the hand of the legislator to decide where you should grow, how high you should be, where to be pruned and clipped, and which weeds to be removed. They don't see you as citizens, you are bawling children waiting for them to set things right. Isn't it amazing how you can raise a family, buy property, support yourself fully, but still need their stamp on your mattress? Isn't that just grand? In one generation we went from a 'self sufficient' to a 'cradle to grave' society. And we did it to ourselves!

I listened for 16 seconds, that was enough Mr. patriot.

Practical

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Well I appreciate the opportunity you gave me sir!

I Love Shemp

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Indeed we have. Those just mere generations removed wouldn't understand what has happened to the spirit of individualism that was once a key trait that helped define the American experience. Since the 1960's, politicians--mostly Democrats of an increasingly radical leftist bent--have convinced many, effected, primarily through their successful seizure of the education system, that one needs big government (the bigger, the better, and at every level!) if one is to have any chance of being successful in life, especially given that this indoctrination has also increased the number of those that believe our nation is the bane of the rest of the planet, and that if it weren't for that, the world would be brighter, saner, safer, fairer, more just, etc., etc., ad nauseum! Remove a person's individualism and the dignity and pride that is its' reward, and you have a vessel that becomes far easier to manipulate and dominate.

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

This is about the most misguided rant I've seen in a long time. It saying nothing about real issues, and only rants about phony ones.

The underlying problem here, is that power and wealth are concentrated in few hands. That is going to lead these problems, regardless of the system (again, Louis Brandeis, "A society can have great concentration of wealth, or democracy, but not both.") So of COURSE elections see voters have very little actual power. When it costs billions to get elected, the billionaires rule.

What are you talking about, "one generation"? These issues are a lot older than that.

And I have no issue with mattress labels. Things like product quality and safety are an area the government generally does good, when not undermined. Mattress stickers are not the tyranny. And you not having a clue about the real issues, is what help the plutocrats beat you.

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Indeed we have. Those just mere generations removed wouldn't understand what has happened to the spirit of individualism that was once a key trait that helped define the American experience.

We need more rugged individuals, like the Walton heirs, and other billionaires who buy government and slash their own taxes and take nearly all the wealth.

Practical

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
This is about the most misguided rant I've seen in a long time. It saying nothing about real issues, and only rants about phony ones.

The underlying problem here, is that power and wealth are concentrated in few hands. That is going to lead these problems, regardless of the system (again, Louis Brandeis, "A society can have great concentration of wealth, or democracy, but not both.") So of COURSE elections see voters have very little actual power. When it costs billions to get elected, the billionaires rule.

What are you talking about, "one generation"? These issues are a lot older than that.

And I have no issue with mattress labels. Things like product quality and safety are an area the government generally does good, when not undermined. Mattress stickers are not the tyranny. And you not having a clue about the real issues, is what help the plutocrats beat you.

How bout this one. Better?

Practical

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Same Libertarian fallacies.

Well I am a libertarian...lol. Says it on my sticker thing =) I want small government and governmental accountability to the people, I just don't see how those are bad things. I want people to be responsible for themselves and the results of their decisions, I don't see how those are bad things. I want government to be the afterthought and to stay within their intended authorities. Society created government, government did not create society. But! You can rest easy brother. People will always get the kind of government they want, just might not want it when they get it. If you want more and more, rest easy sir, it's coming, and it doesn't matter if it says R or D next to the name.

bomberfox

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Indeed we have. Those just mere generations removed wouldn't understand what has happened to the spirit of individualism that was once a key trait that helped define the American experience. Since the 1960's, politicians--mostly Democrats of an increasingly radical leftist bent--have convinced many, effected, primarily through their successful seizure of the education system, that one needs big government (the bigger, the better, and at every level!) if one is to have any chance of being successful in life, especially given that this indoctrination has also increased the number of those that believe our nation is the bane of the rest of the planet, and that if it weren't for that, the world would be brighter, saner, safer, fairer, more just, etc., etc., ad nauseum! Remove a person's individualism and the dignity and pride that is its' reward, and you have a vessel that becomes far easier to manipulate and dominate.

:lamo the 50s were an insanely controlled time. That prim and proper hogwash didnt come without huge television campaigns and controlled home life.

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Well I am a libertarian...lol. Says it on my sticker thing =) I want small government and governmental accountability to the people, I just don't see how those are bad things.

Yes, I'm not that interested in having Libertarian throw dogma phrases, when they aren't able to actually be rational about the issues. Sometimes, I've written long explanations of issues. It doesn't do any good. So you can stay in the Libertarian bubble for now.

I Love Shemp

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Your trite class/warfare and zero-sum-wealth tropes notwithstanding, Sam Walton is a textbook example of American individualism. He took a store in a one-horse Arkansas town and turned it into the largest retailer in the world.

Luther

Another California Refugee
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
We need more rugged individuals, like the Walton heirs, and other billionaires who buy government and slash their own taxes and take nearly all the wealth.

Who also pay the majority of the Fed Income tax?

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Your trite class/warfare and zero-sum-wealth tropes notwithstanding, Sam Walton is a textbook example of American individualism. He took a store in a one-horse Arkansas town and turned it into the largest retailer in the world.

His kids are a textbook example of American capitalism. What did they do, and how much do they have?

Top Bottom