• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Citing costs, IBM to move retirees off health plan [W:15]

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
september 7, 2013

International Business Machines Corp. plans to move about 110,000 retirees off its company-sponsored health plan and instead give them a payment to buy coverage on a health-insurance exchange, in a sign that even big, well-capitalized employers aren't likely to keep providing the once-common benefits as medical costs continue to rise.

The move, which will affect all IBM retirees once they become eligible for Medicare, will relieve the technology company of the responsibility of managing retirement health-care benefits. IBM said the growing cost of care makes its current plan unsustainable without big premium increases.

IBM's shift is an indication that health-insurance marketplaces, similar to the public exchanges proposed under President Barack Obama's health-care overhaul, will play a bigger role as companies move coverage down the path taken by many pensions, paying employees and retirees a fixed sum to manage their own care.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Citing costs, IBM to move retirees off health plan | Fox News

Just how many large corporations have to do the same, proving that the "ACA" (aka ObamaCare) is destroying America and their present healthcare system?

september 7, 2013

International Business Machines Corp. plans to move about 110,000 retirees off its company-sponsored health plan and instead give them a payment to buy coverage on a health-insurance exchange, in a sign that even big, well-capitalized employers aren't likely to keep providing the once-common benefits as medical costs continue to rise.

The move, which will affect all IBM retirees once they become eligible for Medicare, will relieve the technology company of the responsibility of managing retirement health-care benefits. IBM said the growing cost of care makes its current plan unsustainable without big premium increases.

IBM's shift is an indication that health-insurance marketplaces, similar to the public exchanges proposed under President Barack Obama's health-care overhaul, will play a bigger role as companies move coverage down the path taken by many pensions, paying employees and retirees a fixed sum to manage their own care.

(Excerpt)

Read more:

Just how many large corporations have to do the same,
proving that the "ACA" (aka ObamaCare) is destroying America and their present healthcare system
?

The only thing that the incoherent drivel that you constantly post about President Obama proves is that you can't stand the fact that a Black man like Obama is living in the White House.

I suggest that you learn to deal with it because Barack Obama will be living in the White House until another Democrat takes his place in 2017.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Last edited:
The only thing that the incoherent drivel that you constantly post about President Obama proves is that you can't stand the fact that a Black man like Obama is living in the White House.

The increasing frequency with which completely non-racial issues are being unnecessarily contorted into some sort of nonsensical racial braying monologue is a bellwether of the desperation of Liberals faced with a disastrously failing Democrat presidency.

The increasing frequency with which completely non-racial issues are being unnecessarily contorted into some sort of nonsensical racial braying monologue is a bellwether of the desperation of Liberals faced with a disastrously failing Democrat presidency

Come back and tell us more about it in 2017 when another Democrat takes Obama's place in the White House. :lamo

You jumping in to support your comrade Wehrwolfen does nothing to make him, you, or the steadily sinking GOP look good.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Last edited:

I suggest that you learn to deal with it because Barack Obama will be living in the White House until another Democrat takes his place in 2017.

Besides being total cow dung, that's a totally asinine thing to say to any poster. You should apologize.

Besides being total cow dung, that's a totally asinine thing to say to any poster. You should apologize.

Maybe so, but that's probably not going to happen. Anytime I see Wehrwolfens name I start feeling aggravated.

BTW: the comment that you just made to me left a lot to be desired, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of it.

Wehrwolfen is obsessed with Obama, it's the only thing that he ever posts about. And he posts quite a bit. He's a one-trick pony.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but that's probably not going to happen. Anytime I see Wehrwolfens name I start feeling aggravated.

The man is obsessed with Obama, it's the only thing that he ever posts about. And he posts quite a bit. He's a one-trick pony.

I've had posters who get on my nerves (just by the sight of the screen name) but, I had the maturity to get over it and realize it wasn't worth the ulcers.

If you must, attack the content of the thread not the poster.

Financially pinched companies snip employee benefits - …

usatoday30.usatoday.com/...04-06-employers-cut-worker-benefits_N.htm

Apr 06, 2009 · The nation is seeing a growing and large movement of companies cutting or reducing benefits for employees. Health care costs for employees have
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

American Airlines retirees await answers on proposed benefit cuts ...

www.menafn.com/.../American-Airlines-retirees...proposed-benefit-cuts

American Airlines retirees await answers on proposed benefit cutsJul 10, 2013 (Menafn - Tulsa World - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirees may find their benefits targeted for cuts | News Tribune

www.newstribune.com/.../retirees-may-find-their-benefits-targeted-cuts

It’s a case of broken promises. A growing number of companies are reneging on health insurance and other retirement benefits, leaving retirees scrambling and ...

Where in his post did he bring up race? Seems like you're the one always doing that.

Where in his post did he bring up race? Seems like you're the one always doing that.

Read more of his numerous posts. Lots of them are primarily focused on race and not in a good way.

Obama and race are the two things that he is focused on.

What's the bfd? IBM is just switching where they get the coverage from it seems.

What an incredibly ignorant thing to say. Rather than deal with the substance of the post, you attack the poster. Pathetic. The truth is, you cant deal with the facts on a substantive level so you resort to phony charges of racism. Talk about a one trick pony. Grow up, dude.

look at the CEO care in ACTION!!!

Here comes the ACA to get HC to all the dumped people from CEO care!

Moderator's Warning:
Stop talking about posters and focus on the topic.

september 7, 2013

(Excerpt)

Read more:

Just how many large corporations have to do the same, proving that the "ACA" (aka ObamaCare) is destroying America and their present healthcare system?
Although I'm no fan of Obamacare, it's kind of ridiculous to blame it for this. They are a money gobbling corporation, cutting costs is what they do. They would have cut retirees along time ago, if they had a nice fat excuse like Obamacare sooner. It's really convenient to blame politicians, but it still comes down to a decision made by the corporation. They could have raised prices, or cut healthcare for current employees, or cut some of there R&D that they've been waving around for PR stunts, but they chose to cut off retirees instead. Obama had nothing to do with that, he's not a board member at IBM.

I don't like Obama (not personally, I don't know the guy), but I'm sick of companies using politicians as a free pass to stick it to people.

Although I'm no fan of Obamacare, it's kind of ridiculous to blame it for this. They are a money gobbling corporation, cutting costs is what they do. They would have cut retirees along time ago, if they had a nice fat excuse like Obamacare sooner. It's really convenient to blame politicians, but it still comes down to a decision made by the corporation. They could have raised prices, or cut healthcare for current employees, or cut some of there R&D that they've been waving around for PR stunts, but they chose to cut off retirees instead. Obama had nothing to do with that, he's not a board member at IBM.

I don't like Obama (not personally, I don't know the guy), but I'm sick of companies using politicians as a free pass to stick it to people.

I was just going to write a dissertation for both sides of the coin, unions versus corporations. That aside, what responsibility do unions and corporations have to their retirees? As far as corporations using politicians, haven't we seen unions doing the same? Elections are supposed to be about the people electing their representatives, not corporations, unions or foreign entities skewing votes or pouring money into elections.

september 7, 2013

(Excerpt)

Read more:

yeah....because we all remember how very affordable health care was before Obama took over!:roll:

The right wing hypocrisy is staggering because many of them rail against some of the very government programs they are so dependent on.

september 7, 2013

(Excerpt)

Read more:

This kind of thing could be avoided with a single payer system.
Companies wouldn't have to pay for retirees health coverage.
everyone would have access to healthcare.
it would cost less to receive healthcare.

Everyone wins.

I agree! IBM kicked their retirees off the health plan because IBM is racist.

Everyone wins.

It's called Medicare and Medicaid

Everyone wins.

Obama didn't enact single-payer because he didn't have the votes to do so. Instead he enacted Obamacare. He may have trouble getting young, healthy people to sign up for the exchanges but, boy oh boy, he's going to have lots of old people! Isn't that great?

By the way, Time Warner has just followed suit!

Time Warner to move retirees to health care exchanges
Hey, if you like the coverage you have now, YOU CAN KEEP IT!!! :lamo :lamo :lamo

If you read the whole article, you'll see that moving to the exchanges doesn't cause you to lose anything. The company is paying for it and just like us Medicare folks, you pick a plan that your Doctor takes.

I'm not endorsing Obamacare because I'm pretty sure that nobody knows what it is - yet. Probably something awful but....you'll be able to keep your Doctor, just as I keep mine.

Obama didn't enact single-payer because he didn't have the votes to do so. Instead he enacted Obamacare. He may have trouble getting young, healthy people to sign up for the exchanges but, boy oh boy, he's going to have lots of old people! Isn't that great?

By the way, Time Warner has just followed suit!

Time Warner to move retirees to health care exchanges
Hey, if you like the coverage you have now, YOU CAN KEEP IT!!! :lamo :lamo :lamo

So what we are seeing here is people getting coverage and businesses doing better. So Obamacare is now being lauded by the right as good for business... in a backhanded sort of way of course.

Back
Top Bottom