• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Cisneros/Clinton Independent Council Report Coming

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
http://drudgereport.com/flash.htm

Last Independent Counsel Report Set For 'Release'; Focus On Clinton Administration
Sun Jan 15 2006 19:35:32 2006

" ............The SUN outlines the report's details surrounding the alleged illicit activity and cover up that involving former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Henry Cisneros before and during his time in the Clinton Administration.

The Sun reveals that the Barrett report connects the dots that allege that senior officials of the Clinton Administration hindered investigations by the IRS in both Texas and Washington, as well as the investigations of a grand jury examining the independent counsel's evidence.........."

This is the report that has been held up in the Senate for years by Democrats who even tried to totally squash it, as the New York Daily News reported http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/351902p-300116c.html

"In April, Sens. John Kerry (D-Mass.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) tried to ax the probe - which has cost $22 million, including $1 million for the first six months of this year - by cutting Barrett's budget, saying it's a waste of money, but Republicans stopped them."

Hillary and Bill's legal friends also try to squash it the NDN reports.

So will Pelosi now condemn the Democrat Culture of Corruption?
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Stinger said:
http://drudgereport.com/flash.htm

Last Independent Counsel Report Set For 'Release'; Focus On Clinton Administration
Sun Jan 15 2006 19:35:32 2006

" ............The SUN outlines the report's details surrounding the alleged illicit activity and cover up that involving former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Henry Cisneros before and during his time in the Clinton Administration.

The Sun reveals that the Barrett report connects the dots that allege that senior officials of the Clinton Administration hindered investigations by the IRS in both Texas and Washington, as well as the investigations of a grand jury examining the independent counsel's evidence.........."

This is the report that has been held up in the Senate for years by Democrats who even tried to totally squash it, as the New York Daily News reported http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/351902p-300116c.html

"In April, Sens. John Kerry (D-Mass.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) tried to ax the probe - which has cost $22 million, including $1 million for the first six months of this year - by cutting Barrett's budget, saying it's a waste of money, but Republicans stopped them."

Hillary and Bill's legal friends also try to squash it the NDN reports.

So will Pelosi now condemn the Democrat Culture of Corruption?
Looks like you and I are on the same side on this one. If a grand jury is needed, then by all means, lets have one. By the way, Cisneros used to be mayor of San Antonio, and during his time as mayor, his cronies pretty much ran everything there.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
danarhea said:
Looks like you and I are on the same side on this one. If a grand jury is needed, then by all means, lets have one. By the way, Cisneros used to be mayor of San Antonio, and during his time as mayor, his cronies pretty much ran everything there.
For Democrats to whine about Delay when they continue to put this guy up as a spokesman is a bit much to swallow.
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
Get it all out in the open. Let's see what the people we pay are doing behind closed doors. I don't give a rats behind who belongs to what party, if they're involved in unethical, illegal or just plain dirty BS- put them up against the wall.

I am a little puzzled how the Dems have been holding up anything, esp. for this long. But if this is true let's get it out, stop delaying.
 
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
1,011
Reaction score
306
Location
Geelong, Australia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
It puzzles me that you guys seem to miss the point. Corruption is not an Democrat or Repulican problem, but rather a political problem.

It arises from abuse of power, a 'win at all costs' attititude, and greed.

Rant on.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Stinger said:
For Democrats to whine about Delay when they continue to put this guy up as a spokesman is a bit much to swallow.
Well it goes to show you that partisan Democrats are no different than partisan Repubicans. True, they whine about Delay, but have their own Gods to worship, and that is just as wrong and hypocritical.

Note to Pacridge: "Stop delaying" - Is that a pun?:lol:
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
danarhea said:
Well it goes to show you that partisan Democrats are no different than partisan Repubicans. True, they whine about Delay, but have their own Gods to worship, and that is just as wrong and hypocritical.

Note to Pacridge: "Stop delaying" - Is that a pun?:lol:

I knew somebody get that.
 

BWG

DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
4,373
Reaction score
1,602
Location
South Coast
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I thought I remembered reading about this a while back.


If he has something to report, get it out there.
If he's making this a career, cut him loose.



Cisneros Convicted in '99, But the Probe Goes On

Saturday, October 1, 2005

This spring, Republicans and Democrats voiced outrage over the news that independent counsel David M. Barrett was still pursuing a decade-long, $21 million investigation into a crime long confessed and paid for. Without debate, the Senate unanimously agreed to strip Barrett of further funding for his inquiry on former housing secretary Henry G. Cisneros.

But, prodded by conservative commentators, House Republican leaders grew convinced that Democrats were trying to suppress embarrassing revelations about the Clinton administration. The Senate provision was ditched behind closed doors, and Barrett and his staff continue to work -- at a cost to taxpayers of nearly $2 million a year -- on an inquiry that seemingly ended 13 months ago.


WaPo Article
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
danarhea said:
Note to Pacridge: "Stop delaying" - Is that a pun?
Pacridge said:
I knew somebody get that.
Thank God you didn't say, "Stop Rostenkowskiing"...:doh
 

Gill

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
8,713
Reaction score
1,907
Location
The Derby City
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has persuaded most members of the Senate to censor a potentially devastating report of an investigation into her husband's presidential administration during the mid-1990s, congressional sources told Insight.

Congressional sources said Mrs. Clinton has recruited the Democratic leadership as well as an increasing number of Republican senators to censor a 420-page report by independent counsel David Barrett. Mr. Barrett wrote the report in 1996, but it has never been published because of lack of congressional funding.

Columnist Robert Novak has also pointed out that the full report is likely to be suppressed. "The political significance is that the Barrett report's shocking allegations of high-level corruption in the Internal Revenue Service and Justice Department are likely to be concealed from the public and from Congress," Mr. Novak wrote in his Dec. 15 column.

Last month, Congress approved legislation to release the report of the investigation, which cost $21 million. But the Senate also agreed to censor parts of the report deemed an invasion of privacy.

The most damaging part of the report, seen by only a handful of people, includes allegations that senior officials in the Justice Department and IRS formulated rules that would protect President Bill Clinton from corruption charges. The families of bureaucrats who wouldn't cooperate were said to have been hounded by the IRS.

"This report has enough material to keep the Democrats on the defensive for the next two years," a congressional aide familiar with the report said. "There's no question that Hillary's presidential campaign would be destroyed."
http://www.c-span.org/journal/barrett.asp

This could get very interesting!!
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Gill said:
And SHE has the gall to point fingers at Republicans.

And let's not forget her own Senatorial campaign has just paid a fine for trying to hide over $700,000 in donations.

Do you see this on the front page of the NYT or LATimes or Washington Post...........nope. Are any of these newspaper calling for a complete disclosure of the Barrett report.............nope. They've known about it for 10 years have they ever demanded anything be done about it......nope.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
danarhea said:
Well it goes to show you that partisan Democrats are no different than partisan Repubicans. True, they whine about Delay, but have their own Gods to worship, and that is just as wrong and hypocritical.

Note to Pacridge: "Stop delaying" - Is that a pun?:lol:
It actually shows that Democrats are not better than Republicans when it comes to corruption, they just try harder to hide it and lie about it in public. Isn't it time the media called them on their charges against Republicans and forced them to answer for their own scandals?
 

SouthernDemocrat

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
22,568
Reaction score
13,780
Location
KC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
Stinger said:
http://drudgereport.com/flash.htm

Last Independent Counsel Report Set For 'Release'; Focus On Clinton Administration
Sun Jan 15 2006 19:35:32 2006

" ............The SUN outlines the report's details surrounding the alleged illicit activity and cover up that involving former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Henry Cisneros before and during his time in the Clinton Administration.

The Sun reveals that the Barrett report connects the dots that allege that senior officials of the Clinton Administration hindered investigations by the IRS in both Texas and Washington, as well as the investigations of a grand jury examining the independent counsel's evidence.........."

This is the report that has been held up in the Senate for years by Democrats who even tried to totally squash it, as the New York Daily News reported http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/351902p-300116c.html

"In April, Sens. John Kerry (D-Mass.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) tried to ax the probe - which has cost $22 million, including $1 million for the first six months of this year - by cutting Barrett's budget, saying it's a waste of money, but Republicans stopped them."

Hillary and Bill's legal friends also try to squash it the NDN reports.

So will Pelosi now condemn the Democrat Culture of Corruption?
Bit of a difference between an administration official being corrupt. Every single Administration in the last 50 years has had that. Reagan had more than any other.

With Republicans right now, the party leaders are accused of corruption. You are not talking about an official here and an official there. Its actually nearly the entire Republican House leadership that is involved in one way or another.
 

Gill

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
8,713
Reaction score
1,907
Location
The Derby City
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Bit of a difference between an administration official being corrupt.
This is much more that "an" administration official being corrupt. It concerns obstruction of justice by both the IRS and the Justice Dept under Reno.
 

SouthernDemocrat

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
22,568
Reaction score
13,780
Location
KC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
Gill said:
This is much more that "an" administration official being corrupt. It concerns obstruction of justice by both the IRS and the Justice Dept under Reno.
If thats the case, then I stand corrected. Maybe we will get lucky and it will knock Hillary out of running in 2008.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
SouthernDemocrat said:
Bit of a difference between an administration official being corrupt. Every single Administration in the last 50 years has had that. Reagan had more than any other.
When did Reagan interfer with an IRS investigation and then when did Republicans in the Senate hold up an OIC report that indicated the Reagan adminsitration had committed crimes? What "difference" are you talking about?


With Republicans right now, the party leaders are accused of corruption.
:rofl by DEMOCRATS.................please spare me.

First I will be surprised if anything comes of this, may Ney but even that's shakey. Second if it does, there's plenty of Democrats who were involved with Ambroff.

But please elaborate, which "party leaders" are accused of corruption and by whom and for what.

But let me say this too, if anyone did engage in quid pro quo's and it can be proven then they deserve what they get. That goes for Republicans and Democrats.

And don't you recognize the Democrat playbook, confuse the issue with the Ambroff personal donations and scream the loudest and point the biggest finger to distract from the fact they are just as involved.

You are not talking about an official here and an official there. Its actually nearly the entire Republican House leadership that is involved in one way or another.
In what? And especially in what, that was illegal (the personal donations of Ambroff were not), that Democrats didn't (namely the core issue, the money he got from special interest groups and gave out as a lobbyist).
 
H

hipsterdufus

Stinger said:
And SHE has the gall to point fingers at Republicans.

And let's not forget her own Senatorial campaign has just paid a fine for trying to hide over $700,000 in donations.

Do you see this on the front page of the NYT or LATimes or Washington Post...........nope. Are any of these newspaper calling for a complete disclosure of the Barrett report.............nope. They've known about it for 10 years have they ever demanded anything be done about it......nope.
Did you search these newspapers before making that accusation?
What about page 2?
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
hipsterdufus said:
Did you search these newspapers before making that accusation?
What about page 2?
If you have the indepth reporting from the leftest media on this please cite it.
 

tecoyah

Back
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
9,777
Reaction score
3,417
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Makes me smile to see the Clinton corruption coming to light.....and I too hope it takes Hillary out of the running...(She Scares Me). One thing of note though.......the very same people screaming Bias in this thread.....are the first to attmpt defending Bush and his pals when charges/accusations are thrown at them. If you really love the country.....lets boot all these bastards.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
tecoyah said:
Makes me smile to see the Clinton corruption coming to light.....and I too hope it takes Hillary out of the running...(She Scares Me). One thing of note though.......the very same people screaming Bias in this thread.....are the first to attmpt defending Bush and his pals when charges/accusations are thrown at them. If you really love the country.....lets boot all these bastards.
If someone broke the law, knowingly broke the law for personal gain, then I don't care what party they belong to. Hillary still has lots to answer for and if she runs for high office it will come to light, but will the mainstream media accept her very predictable "Oh you know that's old news" or even out right lies like "Oh you know the prosecutor said I did nothing wrong" which he did NOT. Will they cover for her? This story about the illegal campaign fund raising her campaign is guilty of hasn't rasied a blip yet this is exactly the kind of stuff the Democrats are pointing the finger at Republicans over.

The bias is so bright i gotta wear my shades!

Oh and not to mention very prominent LA Senator William Jefferson, where is the finger point at Democrats over his current problems?
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
There are almost always two sides to every story. This is an interesting side from a former employee of the Justice Dept.


A Fake Cisneros Scandal
There Was No Coverup

By Robert Litt

Monday, January 23, 2006; Page A15

An independent counsel has issued a report claiming that officials of the Clinton administration blocked his investigation into allegations of tax violations by former housing secretary Henry Cisneros. Although these sensational charges have been trumpeted by partisans as evidence of Democratic corruption, they are completely false.

I know; I was there. . . .

It is the independent counsel's behavior that warrants examination here. His completely unfounded investigation into the alleged obstruction of justice lasted over six years and cost the taxpayers tens of millions of dollars -- even though the issue was simple and straightforward, and even though the statute of limitations expired during his investigation. In that time he never contacted me or any other Justice Department lawyer to find out what we had to say. At the same time he apparently required one IRS lawyer to testify almost 30 times -- surely a record in any federal criminal investigation. His investigation might still be going on if the court that oversees independent counsels had not ordered him to stop. And yet his report contains no evidence supporting his scurrilous charges.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/22/AR2006012200952.html
I'm so glad that we waste government resources on this kind of thing. :roll:
 

Gill

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
8,713
Reaction score
1,907
Location
The Derby City
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
This is an interesting side from a former employee of the Justice Dept.
Is this the same Justice Dept that obstructed Barrett's investigation at every opportunity leading to the huge delays everyone is crying about now.

Did you know that Barrett's report was completed years ago but has been held up by attorneys and Democratic Senators?
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Gill said:
Is this the same Justice Dept that obstructed Barrett's investigation at every opportunity leading to the huge delays everyone is crying about now.

Did you know that Barrett's report was completed years ago but has been held up by attorneys and Democratic Senators?
Apparently, when Barrett brought his case of why he wanted to investigate Cisneros, the career lawyers found "legal and factual errors." As stated in the article, Barrett claimed that Cisneros had failed to report over $100,000 in income during 1991, but he could not produce any evidence that such was true. As pointed out by Litt, Barrett refused to believe that professionals could look at the same set of facts and come up with a different conclusion.
 

Gill

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
8,713
Reaction score
1,907
Location
The Derby City
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
As stated in the article, Barrett claimed that Cisneros had failed to report over $100,000 in income during 1991, but he could not produce any evidence that such was true.
The reason Barrett could not prove tax evasion against Cisneros was because Janet Reno would only allow him to look at one year of Cisneros' taxes, unprecedented in a tax evasion investigation which typically looks at 10-12 years of back tax returns.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
aps said:
Apparently, when Barrett brought his case of why he wanted to investigate Cisneros, the career lawyers found "legal and factual errors." As stated in the article, Barrett claimed that Cisneros had failed to report over $100,000 in income during 1991, but he could not produce any evidence that such was true. As pointed out by Litt, Barrett refused to believe that professionals could look at the same set of facts and come up with a different conclusion.
Because the Clinton White House obstructed the investigation, THAT'S WHAT THE STORY IS ALL ABOUT!
 
Top Bottom