• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cirque du soleil cancels all north carolina shows to protest hb2

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Cirque Du Soleil has canceled all North Carolina performances by two of its touring shows to protest House Bill 2, ABC News reports.

The Canadian-based circus company was set to perform "Ovo" in Greensboro from April 20-24 and Charlotte from July 6-10. "Toruk- The First Flight," was set to play in Raleigh from June 22-26.

"Cirque du Soleil believes in equality for all. It is a principle that guides us with both our employees and our customers. We behave as change agents to reach our ultimate goal of making a better world with our actions and our productions," Cirque du Soleil said in a statement.

Recently, Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr, and Ani DiFranco canceled their North Carolina appearances. Cyndi Lauper and Louis C.K. have pledged to donate profits from their shows to Equality North Carolina, ABC News reports.

Cirque Du Soleil cancels all North Carolina shows to protest HB2 | abc11.com

So there is apparently a company called Cirque Du Soleil. I'm not sure how that is useful information, but ok.

So there is apparently a company called Cirque Du Soleil. I'm not sure how that is useful information, but ok.

A wee bit cultured for some obviously.

I can't imagine people who think men shouldn't be able to use women's restrooms going to Cirque Du Soleil.

I don't think men should be going into a woman's restroom, but I took this girl once to OVO when it appeared here in Portland a few years ago. Got front row tickets..

It was spendy.. But talk about her appreciation afterwards!

I had fun watching her during the show, and playing with her afterwards!

Don't you do anything for your woman, or is it all about you?

They are circus type shows. Some are at fixed locations like Las Vegas, and they have several tours with other shows.

They have 21 different shows, including Chris Cross.

Maybe this is more to James' liking:

Sounds like they have an intolerant management.

I think they got on the bandwagon for an excuse not to perform there. maybe previous shows weren't profitable in those location. They seldom do small cities, and do shows in Portland maybe once every 10 years.

It is curious that their intent is to punish the state for a law. But the people who would attend the show are not those who passed the law. It is truly pointless.

Whatever happened to the good ole days where things like performance art groups didn't collective boycott and protest state-to-state actions?

Artists are usually the first out-spoken people to condemn human rights abuses, however large, or small.

Whatever happened to the good ole days where things like performance art groups didn't collective boycott and protest state-to-state actions?
Those were the days when carrying a tune, playing an instrument, acting on stage, or having celebrity status wasn't being confused with having intellectual heft.

North Carolina is beginning to seem like a peaceful place to live.

Artists are usually the first out-spoken people to condemn human rights abuses, however large, or small.

"Human Rights abuses" ... :roll:

I can't imagine people who think men shouldn't be able to use women's restrooms going to Cirque Du Soleil.

LOL. I never been to their shows. Is it any good?

I said: "however small".

It's not small to those that are affected.

It's as much a "human rights abuse" as denying Cirque du Soleil fans in NC access to local shows.

Also, I would be more impressed by CDS commitment to transgender issues when they cancel all shows in Russia where homosexuality is illegal.

Last edited:
LOL. I never been to their shows. Is it any good?

Seen them once. The first 30-45 minutes were fantastic. After that, you get a little dull to their antics. They are quite repetitive when it comes down to it.

Their prerogative. However, they are also hypocrites.
"Cirque du Soleil believes in equality for all. It is a principle that guides us with both our employees and our customers. We behave as change agents to reach our ultimate goal of making a better world with our actions and our productions,"
Equality...except those with whom we disagree. Right? If I don't care for a birth male (too lazy to type the longer version) in the ladies room, than I am less equal than the birth male in the ladies room.
Some people's perspective is worth more than others. Hypocrisy.

Those were the days when carrying a tune, playing an instrument, acting on stage, or having celebrity status wasn't being confused with having intellectual heft.

North Carolina is beginning to seem like a peaceful place to live.

Remember McCain's point on "SNL" when he sang Streisand?

"Sen. John McCain: I’ve been in politics for over 20 years. And for over 20 years, I’ve had Barbra Streisand trying to do my job. So I decided to try my hand at her job. Check out this classic..."

Here's the transcript: SNL Transcripts: Sen. John McCain: 10/19/02: McCain Sings Streisand

Who is affected?

Just pee already.

If I need to pee in a convenience store and the Men's room is locked and the women's is not, I usually say to myself "plumbing is plumbing."

I try not to pee on the seat. Yeah, I lift it and then.....

.....I quickly and quietly put it back down.

They could arrest me for that in NC. NC stands for 'No Count"!

So to recap, if someone, say a privately owned bakery or private chapel, chooses to not get involved in a wedding of two individuals for any reason including protected religious beliefs, they can be taken to court and fined out of existence, but when a other businesses or performers choose to cancel performances already committed for, that action is acceptable and in general meets with a lot of peoples approval. Am I missing something?

Why isn't the federal department of something all over this?

Back
Top Bottom