• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Circular argument

Sykes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Just the other day, I read a post which explained rather concisely how claiming that someone is intolerant of your intolerance is 'circular reasoning.' Can anybody pop up and give me back that piece of the puzzle so I can use it as needed? I would be greatly appreciative.

:2wave:

Just the other day, I read a post which explained rather concisely how claiming that someone is intolerant of your intolerance is 'circular reasoning.' Can anybody pop up and give me back that piece of the puzzle so I can use it as needed? I would be greatly appreciative.

Circular reasoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The issue in that debate as to my participation in it is that the person assumed there was good bigotry and bad bigotry and what they considered good bigotry was not bigotry but the opposing bigotry was bad and therefor bigoted.

The entire homophobe premise is based upon circular reasoning. Homosexuality is icky poo because people say it is icky poo and since people say it icky poo, it must be icky poo. It is really quite the moronic piece of sophistry, yet the morons who offer it actually think they are on to something.

That issue arose in the thread about bigotry. Someone argued that because he was intolerant of many things (particularly homosexuality) he had been called bigoted, but that because someone else was intolerant of his intolerance they must be bigoted too. That's circular reasoning and fallacious because it presupposes that intolerance and bigotry are synonymous. They're not, and that wasn't the logic being used to label him a bigot.

See? Easy eh?

That issue arose in the thread about bigotry. Someone argued that because he was intolerant of many things (particularly homosexuality) he had been called bigoted, but that because someone else was intolerant of his intolerance they must be bigoted too. That's circular reasoning and fallacious because it presupposes that intolerance and bigotry are synonymous. They're not, and that wasn't the logic being used to label him a bigot.

See? Easy eh?

Thanks! That's the thread I was thinking of, and upon further examination, Disney Dude was the one who pointed it out. :D

Interesting quotes on the subject matter.

Tolerance - Wikiquote

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. [...] We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.
Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies (1945), Vol. 1, Notes to the Chapters: Ch. 7, Note 4.

See? Easy eh?

You are just as wrong as he was. Bigotry is the intolerance of those who do not agree with you. It does not matter what yours or their beliefs are.

Thanks! That's the thread I was thinking of, and upon further examination, Disney Dude was the one who pointed it out. :D

Interesting quotes on the subject matter.

Tolerance - Wikiquote

Perhaps instead of quotes you should rely upon definitions:

bigotry.jpg

You are just as wrong as he was. Bigotry is the intolerance of those who do not agree with you. It does not matter what yours or their beliefs are.

No, it's not. There's a whole thread proving otherwise.

No, it's not. There's a whole thread proving otherwise.

I just gave you the definition. A whole thread of people saying the sky is green means squat. If you want to be taken seriously, then learn to use a dictionary.

I just gave you the definition. A whole thread of people saying the sky is green means squat. If you want to be taken seriously, then learn to use a dictionary.

I see you learned the semantics schtick from DavidT. We did that whole dictionary thing in the other thread. I'm not going to reprise it here.

I see you learned the semantics schtick from DavidT. We did that whole dictionary thing in the other thread. I'm not going to reprise it here.

I gave you a definition that supports my position. You have offered nothing. I understand you not wanting to reprise your wrongness. :2wave:

Kindly stop trolling my thread. I had a question, it was answered. You don't like the answer? Not my problem. I'm not going to back your cray-cray.

Pot meet the kettle..

Hypocritical...

Unbelievable....

A circle means what in your terms? a point..

in my terms a circle has no end and no beginning,,, in that sense pi has reasoning hence you subscribe to madness which equals anarchy.....

Fun with geometry and asserting such as logic.

All because of a simple idea known as pi.....

Kindly stop trolling my thread. I had a question, it was answered. You don't like the answer? Not my problem. I'm not going to back your cray-cray.

Just because you like an answer that favors one side over another does not mean that you understand a circular argument. It pretty much confirms that you still do not. :2wave:

The idea that all intolerance is bad is idiotic on it's face. You can, by definition, only tolerate things that are tolerable. Nobody complains if we don't tolerate rape or murder, in fact, only an idiot would claim that we ought to. Far too many people play these foolish word games, as though they constitute a valid argument. They do not.

The entire homophobe premise is based upon circular reasoning. Homosexuality is icky poo because people say it is icky poo and since people say it icky poo, it must be icky poo. It is really quite the moronic piece of sophistry, yet the morons who offer it actually think they are on to something.

It's not that it is icky poo, it makes icky poo.

:D

Pot meet the kettle..

Hypocritical...

Unbelievable....

A circle means what in your terms? a point..

in my terms a circle has no end and no beginning,,, in that sense pi has reasoning hence you subscribe to madness which equals anarchy.....

Fun with geometry and asserting such as logic.

All because of a simple idea known as pi.....
-------------

Umm......are you drunk?

Yet there are those who think that "tolerance" has to mean "approval."

Tolerance is "you do your thing, I'll do mine, and we'll leave each other alone." It does not require one to approve of your thing, whatever that thing is.

Back
Top Bottom