• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Cindy Sheehan arrested........

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
ShamMol said:
No offense, don't paint us the same light as what you are thinking all liberals are like. According to CNN, it was not a sign, it was a shirt. So, it is not some giant sign and was apparently not disturbing anyone. Basically, it is the same principal as protest zones-they keep the peace and security felt that would disturb the peace. Frankly, I agree, but they should not have arrested her --merely escorted her out to a television where she could watch it because what she did was idiotic, but not a crime.

The Democratic representative, not Senator, who invited her should not be arrested either. He can use the passes as he wants, and he did. It is usually reserved for family, but it has not always been used for that. Bush's are the exact same way, and he never uses them that way -- you wanna try and make that case again? I don't agree with what he did, by inviting her, but he was within his right to do so.

No offense taken.......

Hey she is saying what Liberals want to say but are to scared to do it.............


And the Senator and the shirt thing has been gone over a half dozen times in this thread............
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Navy Pride said:
No offense taken.......

Hey she is saying what Liberals want to say but are to scared to do it.............


And the Senator and the shirt thing has been gone over a half dozen times in this thread............
Good, I wanted to make that sure...I didn't see it in the last page, so I thank you kindly for informing of that.

Now, two questions -- was he like President bush in his right to invite her? And, what makes you think all liberals are irrational and like her? Some of us are pragmatic and think through our positions and actualyl realize that Iraq needs to be taken care of before a civil war that will tear the region appart, bringing in as many as three countries to do battle (oh yes, you think it can't happen, but the more you read, the more you realize how it could...I should make a topic on it, really fascinating stuff). Actually, another question-what do you think about the logic behind linking the shirt to a protest zone and do you think it would hold up in court?

I actually suggest that you get a podcast of Meet the Press, and listen to a so-called liberal dicuss and analyze the situation in Obama. He does it elegantly and articulates a very interesting position, even if you don't agree with it. It shows taht liberals aren't afraid to think and talk.
 

BWG

DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
4,373
Reaction score
1,602
Location
South Coast
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
aquapub said:
she is so fanatical and absurd that I think the comment was just eluding to the fact that no one really thinks she matters enough to warrant all the outrage.

I think I've finally found something something I agree with you on, but yet this thread is 11 pages and counting...LOL


Navy Pride said:
She is a great representative of your party hips.........
Navy Pride said:
How you liberals can have her as your leader is beyond me.

..and this election was held when?




Once again this thread is perpetuated by the same 3 or 4 right wing howlers.


thumbindexhowlerlg4kj.jpg
 

ludahai

Defender of the Faith
DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
10,320
Reaction score
2,115
Location
Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Is Cindy a leftist? Yes. Was she wrong? Yes. Should she have been draggeg out? Yes. Is she responsible for her own actions? Yes.

Should the representative from CA have given her the ticket? No. Should she have known Cindy would do something? Yes. Should she be given a mild rebuke from the House? Probably. Does she have any responsibility? Some. Cindy WAS her guest.

Guests are often brought in to make a point. However, it is typically done with proper decorum. Cindy has once again shown that the word decorum is little more than a dictionary entry.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
ludahai said:
Is Cindy a leftist? Yes. Was she wrong? Yes. Should she have been draggeg out? Yes. Is she responsible for her own actions? Yes.

Should the representative from CA have given her the ticket? No. Should she have known Cindy would do something? Yes. Should she be given a mild rebuke from the House? Probably. Does she have any responsibility? Some. Cindy WAS her guest.

Guests are often brought in to make a point. However, it is typically done with proper decorum. Cindy has once again shown that the word decorum is little more than a dictionary entry.
Frankly, I agree with everything there except the part about whether the Rep should have given her the ticket and whether she should have known cindy would do something. Cindy probably gave her her word taht she would just go and observe, and take that for what you will, but in my book, a person's word does count for something because it is their honor (the point will be made that she has no honor, but whatever...who really cares?). Also, that Rep made the thoughts about Iraq known quite clearly -- so to give a ticket to someone of the same views and the poster child of those views is not out of the ordinary. It may not have been...prudent, but it was ok politically and legally.
 

ludahai

Defender of the Faith
DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
10,320
Reaction score
2,115
Location
Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
ShamMol said:
It may not have been...prudent, but it was ok politically and legally.

I am not saying she should be arrested for giving her the ticket as a couple of yahoos have. However, it was a political mistake for her to do so as well as extremely poor judgement. There are many other people who that ticket could have been given to who agrees with the point of view, but is far less objectionable than Cindy.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
ludahai said:
I am not saying she should be arrested for giving her the ticket as a couple of yahoos have. However, it was a political mistake for her to do so as well as extremely poor judgement. There are many other people who that ticket could have been given to who agrees with the point of view, but is far less objectionable than Cindy.
I don't think they were going for a consensous person-they wanted someone who stirred the masses and made people pay attention. That rep got some attention on her, and trust me, attention for any Rep (there are a lot of them) is usually a good thing and that is probably what she was going for. Honestly I like that as a political move because it makes her gutsy and can move her up the ranks in any party quickly.
 

ludahai

Defender of the Faith
DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
10,320
Reaction score
2,115
Location
Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
ShamMol said:
Honestly I like that as a political move because it makes her gutsy and can move her up the ranks in any party quickly.

Considering that her party is led by a man like Howard Dean, I would have to agree with that assessment.

As for the number of reps making it harder to get attention, that is also true, ESPECIALLY in California which only has half-a-gazillion reps (just a rough figure of course.) :mrgreen:
 

debate_junkie

Worst Nightmare
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
19
Location
Pennsylvania
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
akyron said:
I can see that. Woolsey brought her to the wedding but it was not completely her fault Cindy got drunk and threw up on the dance floor.

FINALLY... someone does get what I'm saying. It only took over 80 posts LOL
 

debate_junkie

Worst Nightmare
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
19
Location
Pennsylvania
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Navy Pride said:
Just to pull the stunts she does is outrageous.....The old bag is a mental midget........All you have to do is listen to her talk to realize that.....How you liberals can have her as your leader is beyond me...........I sure hope she takes Feinstein's seat.............

How do you explain her complimenting GWB after their meeting and then do a 180 after meeting Michael Moore and moveon.org.......

you liberals? ROFL so once again, because someone doesn't agree with you, they're a liberal? are you certain it was AFTER meeting MM and moveon.org that she did the 180? or did she do the 180 BEFORE that, and seek out a meeting with MM and moveon.org? Cuz the way I see it is this... someone's mind cannot be changed on something so drastically, if they haven't already began to do it themselves... but hey what do I know? I'm holding her personally responsible for her own actions, but it seems she's not to blame.. for her actions or her change of thought. Nice!
 

Paladin

Active member
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
380
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
...How do you explain her complimenting GWB after their meeting and then do a 180 after meeting Michael Moore and moveon.org....

Maybe she changed her mind?
A year and a half ago I supported John Edwards, since then I've gotten some other info on him and I can't support him any longer, and won't if he runs in 2008.
Does that mean I was brainwashed by the conservatives who helped change my mind?
ted
 

akyron

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
10,352
Reaction score
2,436
Location
Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Other
Conflict said:
If being disruptive by your ideology is a crime then you and your cohorts are guilty ten fold. You unwittingly speak in the stalinist diatribe for the authoritarian left.


Every kid facing detention from tossing fake vomit during a class says the equivalent thing....:rofl


She was pre-warned not to make an ass of herself and to play by the rules of the forum. She could not handle it.
 

NYStateofMind

Active member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
281
Reaction score
14
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Independent
Wow, such a big to do over one person in a T shirt, someone that doesn't even hold political office! :rofl I haven't seen so much vitriol against someone from the right wingers since the Clintons.....is Cindy really THAT much of a threat?

Look, I understand. She gave Americans permission to say that they don't support the war, and since she started her crusade, public opinion has swung steadily in that direction....that makes you mad. But she has a right to say what she thinks, she has a right to accept the invitation and she has a right to wear her T shirt and get removed for it. The representative can invite whoever she wants, that's the way it works.

I happen to disagree with her, but I defend her right to protest. It's a freedom that we all have, she just chooses to exercise it more vigorously than most of us would. If she wants to end up in jail a million times, that's her choice. Many of the rights we hold dear were gained by people doing the same thing.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
Uh...I wasn't making a big deal over whether it was a Senator or a Representative. I was talking about the fact that she was wearing a t shirt, not unfurling a banner. I've read every post in this thread, thanks, and you said no such thing in your first few posts....in fact, from what I can see, it wasn't until post #39 that you tried to say Rep. Woolsey should have known better.....

Anyway. I'm off to watch The Daily Show. Y'all have fun.

According to Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchensen she WAS unfurling a banner but I can find no confirmation. And the news reports say that the securtiy approached her and tried to discuss with her that she would have to cover up any messages, as on her shirt, as they were against the rules. She was unresponsive and would not acknowledge them, so they removed her. She then argued with them in the hall and was arrested.

BTW the same thing happened during Clinton's impeachment trial and the left sure supported it then and did not cry out about free speech

http://drudgereport.com/flashts.htm


FLASHBACK: Man Wearing Anti-Clinton T-Shirt Removed from Senate Gallery at Impeachment Trial

 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
debate_junkie said:
But here's the thing... I have asked repeatedly to be shown that the Congresswoman KNEW Cindy would pull such a stunt. It has yet to be shown. I am agreeing with you the congresswoman showed extreme lack of judgement. However, I'm not sure you can directly say the Congresswoman is 100% responsible, and Cindy bears NO responsiblity, as some in this thread have asserted.

They BOTH bear responsibilty, why is that concept out of the question to you?

What was the purpose for her being there? Good question, and one even I am interested in hearing the answer too.

And during the censur the Congresswoman can try to explain.

This is the crux of my argument... how is Cindy NOT responsible, and how is the Congresswoman 100% responsible? Perhaps I'm not seeing that one. Can you explain, Stinger?

Where do you get the idea anyone is saying that?

And I will give you, if this congresswoman, who I've just found out, is a vocal proponent of immediate withdrawl, orchestrated this... she deserves everything she gets. But I don't see how a lack of judgement on her part makes her guilty of anything Cindy has done. Perhaps she's inhaled too much smog?

The congresswoman is guilty of what SHE did. And either it was an extreme lack or proper judgement and respect or a planned stunt. Either one deserves censure and perhaps banning any more free passes to future events.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,254
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Stinger said:
According to Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchensen she WAS unfurling a banner but I can find no confirmation. And the news reports say that the securtiy approached her and tried to discuss with her that she would have to cover up any messages, as on her shirt, as they were against the rules. She was unresponsive and would not acknowledge them, so they removed her. She then argued with them in the hall and was arrested.

I'm perfectly aware of all of that, so what's your point, exactly?

BTW the same thing happened during Clinton's impeachment trial and the left sure supported it then and did not cry out about free speech

http://drudgereport.com/flashts.htm


FLASHBACK: Man Wearing Anti-Clinton T-Shirt Removed from Senate Gallery at Impeachment Trial


Yeah let's see here....That happened in January of 1999? I was 15 then......and while there are plenty of 15 year olds that are interested in politics, I certainly wasn't one of them.
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
ludahai said:
Considering that her party is led by a man like Howard Dean, I would have to agree with that assessment.

As for the number of reps making it harder to get attention, that is also true, ESPECIALLY in California which only has half-a-gazillion reps (just a rough figure of course.) :mrgreen:
Exactly and in this day and age, Reps don't do things to get legislation passed taht is good for the country, they are focused on being reelected and to do that they need to get attention on them. Even if it is bad attention, it raises their recognizability rating and thus improves their chances for reelection because the number one factor in Rep elections is incumbency.

I think the number is like 54...
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
ShamMol said:
Good, I wanted to make that sure...I didn't see it in the last page, so I thank you kindly for informing of that.

Now, two questions -- was he like President bush in his right to invite her? And, what makes you think all liberals are irrational and like her? Some of us are pragmatic and think through our positions and actualyl realize that Iraq needs to be taken care of before a civil war that will tear the region appart, bringing in as many as three countries to do battle (oh yes, you think it can't happen, but the more you read, the more you realize how it could...I should make a topic on it, really fascinating stuff). Actually, another question-what do you think about the logic behind linking the shirt to a protest zone and do you think it would hold up in court?

I actually suggest that you get a podcast of Meet the Press, and listen to a so-called liberal dicuss and analyze the situation in Obama. He does it elegantly and articulates a very interesting position, even if you don't agree with it. It shows taht liberals aren't afraid to think and talk.

Again, please read the thread so you can be informed........It was not a man nor a senator that invited her..It was a congresswoman....

I see very few liberals condemning the outrageous things she says or does so I can only assume liberals condone it but don't have the balls to admit it.......
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
debate_junkie said:
FINALLY... someone does get what I'm saying. It only took over 80 posts LOL

The difference is Cindy did not plan to get drunk and throw up........That just happened.............She planned the stunt..........
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
debate_junkie said:
you liberals? ROFL so once again, because someone doesn't agree with you, they're a liberal? are you certain it was AFTER meeting MM and moveon.org that she did the 180? or did she do the 180 BEFORE that, and seek out a meeting with MM and moveon.org? Cuz the way I see it is this... someone's mind cannot be changed on something so drastically, if they haven't already began to do it themselves... but hey what do I know? I'm holding her personally responsible for her own actions, but it seems she's not to blame.. for her actions or her change of thought. Nice!

It really depends on the mind of the person........Cindy strikes me as a very weak minded person who is easily swayed...........How do you explain her 180?
 

galenrox

ROCK AND ROLL MASTER
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
1,571
Reaction score
38
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Navy Pride said:
Just to pull the stunts she does is outrageous.....The old bag is a mental midget........All you have to do is listen to her talk to realize that.....How you liberals can have her as your leader is beyond me...........I sure hope she takes Feinstein's seat.............

How do you explain her complimenting GWB after their meeting and then do a 180 after meeting Michael Moore and moveon.org.......
How do you explain Bush's approval ratings going from 90% in October 2001 to 39% in the most recent polls?
http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob1.htm

A lot of people have changed their minds on Bush and this administration.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Paladin said:
Maybe she changed her mind?
A year and a half ago I supported John Edwards, since then I've gotten some other info on him and I can't support him any longer, and won't if he runs in 2008.
Does that mean I was brainwashed by the conservatives who helped change my mind?
ted

Its one thing to change your mind but one moment to be a big fan of GWB and then the next moment to say he is the worse person that ever lived is a little strange............. the woman is weakminded and easily swayed and loved the idolation she is getting from people like you on the left?
 

YNKYH8R

Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
Location
RedSox Nation
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
Come on Gal, you don't pull that **** at the state of the union........Give me a break.......
What better place to practice the freedom of speech then where laws are formed. It's not like the walking dutch oven said anything important anyway. Hell, half the assembly didn't stand. So if elected officials don't respect the man-thing why should we we?
 

Vandeervecken

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
744
Reaction score
1
Location
Midland MI USA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Sheehan unfolded an anti war banner in the middle of the Chamber for Christs sakes!!!!!!! They should arrest the senator who gave her the pass too!

No she did not. She wore a t-shirt the GOP objected too.

Since when did the first amendmetn end at the door to congress?

If I were her I would fight this arrest to the US Supreme Court.

Also, it was a Member of the House nto a Senator who gave her the ticket.
 
Top Bottom