• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Cindy McCain being considered for Biden’s ambassador to UK

not if the GOP holds the senate.
Not in any case. Even if Democrats take the Senate, all they're doing is taking control away from McConnell. With the razor edge control they'd have, they couldn't afford to play with any legislation that would weaken their coalition.

Not in any case. Even if Democrats take the Senate, all they're doing is taking control away from McConnell. With the razor edge control they'd have, they couldn't afford to play with any legislation that would weaken their coalition.
Any real attempt to heal the nation would not include turncoat republicans as some sort of link between democrats and true republican voters. Biden is going to go Obama 2.0 and Joe is going to be a closet President, not many appearances, no difficult questions, trying to appease the left and at the same time leave them out of the cabinet. Expect the 2022 mid term to look like a red avalanche with the democrats getting swallowed up.

What makes her a good choice as the US ambassador to UK? What qualifications does she have? I don't think a person who bolted on the republican voter is a good choice to bridge the gap between republican voters and democrats or a President who the republican voters believe quite likely stole the election. Cindy McCain is not a good pick.
I agree and I think that the majority of democrats would see her appointment for what it is, payback for supporting Biden over her party. The only reason Cindy McCain threw her support to Joe Biden is because she wanted to extract some revenge for all the nasty things Trump said about her husband. That's not a good reason to make anyone an Ambassador to GB during Brexit. I say that when you scratch the surface of Cindy McCain you'll find there's a lot of republican ideologies and loyalties beneath that surface.

What makes her a good choice as the US ambassador to UK? What qualifications does she have? I don't think a person who bolted on the republican voter is a good choice to bridge the gap between republican voters and democrats or a President who the republican voters believe quite likely stole the election. Cindy McCain is not a good pick.
To each his own. However, somewhere along the line, this modern era of our politics, the polarization, the divisiveness, the mega, ultra high partisanship must come to an end or we'll destroy ourselves from within. We need in my opinion to be able to move back to the era of compromise and playing the game of give and take. Sure, some issues, there won't be a compromise available. That is a known fact, but on most, if each sides is willing to talk to each other, to reason, we can move back to that past era. But it takes two to tango as they say. One side can't do it all. Compromise is what most Americans want. They want to see both parties working together where ever possible.

Americans Favor Compromise to Get Things Done in Washington

Sure, Trump retained his base. But he lost independents. Independents gave Trump the white house in 2016 by a 46-42 margin over Hillary Clinton with 12% voting third party against both major party candidates. Trump was the outsider and there was hope as a businessman he could bring solid business principals to Washington among other things. He didn't, so in 2020 he lost independents 54-41 to Joe Biden. That's a huge 16 point swing.

McCain is for most of us non-affiliated, a hope that at least Biden will try to work with Republicans where he can. But for the hard core partisans, regardless of affiliation, working with the other side is impossible, akin to reason even if the other side's ideas is very helpful to the country as a whole. We should be concerned with merit, not with who proposed the idea.

But I'm old fashioned here. I suppose in the end, all we or I are asking for is a government that works for all the people, works for America as a whole and not just one or the other party's base telling the other 70% of Americans to go to Hades in a hand basket.

Well, look at this! It sure appears Biden intends to hold AZ in 2024, doesn't it? Good for him! I'm all for bringing moderate principled conservatives onboard. And if they're Republicans or former Republicans that want to hop-on the train? I welcome them! (y)

Great idea. Why appoint someone who's actually a qualified diplomat, when you can appoint a lapdog crony to the spot for political gain.

Great idea. Why appoint someone who's actually a qualified diplomat, when you can appoint a lapdog crony to the spot for political gain.
both sides do it. Big Bucks dem donor Stan Chesley (now disbarred) was appointed an ambassador by one of the Dems and Cincinnati Businessman, and Bush backer Mercer Reynolds (Reynolds Tobacco family) was appointed ambassador to Switzerland by his friend W

both sides do it. Big Bucks dem donor Stan Chesley (now disbarred) was appointed an ambassador by one of the Dems and Cincinnati Businessman, and Bush backer Mercer Reynolds (Reynolds Tobacco family) was appointed ambassador to Switzerland by his friend W

Yeah, well, I guess Ambassador to the UK isn't really much of a "job" so much as a vacation. It wouldn't exactly be much in the way of palm greasing if he appointed her as Ambassador to Kazakhstan.

Gotta say... nothing makes me chuckle more than seeing a Trump supporter argue that we need qualified appointees.

Yeah, well, I guess Ambassador to the UK isn't really much of a "job" so much as a vacation. It wouldn't exactly be much in the way of palm greasing if he appointed her as Ambassador to Kazakhstan.
Ambassador to France, England, Italy, Germany Switzerland etc-plum assignments. Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, the Congo, not so much

Yeah that reminds me of someone.... oh yeah I remember now, Jared Kishner

My new favorite photo of the malignant narcissist scumbag POS. Are you still feeling bad?

Baby trump.jpg

To be fair, she was trained as a Special Education Teacher.... I can't see that as being a liability in dealing with Boris Johnson. ;)

Seriously, though, I think she's a good pick. President elect Biden has had a long friendship with the Cindy McCain and her late husband going back decades. And Boris Johnson seems to rely on personal connections more than formal ones. So I think if you view the Ambassadorship as being a conduit between the two leaders, Cindy McCain will be a solid pick. Certainly a lot better some highly-qualified stick in the mud. Plus, the UK Embassy is one of - if not the largest - we have in the world in terms of staff. I think they'd be more than able to handle the nitty gritty details while the Ambassador handles the personal and "big picture" issues.

Tea, mushy peas, lots of good telly. Cheers.

I think she'd be an excellent choice. If we're ever going to close the great divide and get back to where both parties were working for the good of the country instead of only party. Someone has to make the first move. This may be the first small step. There was also a time honored tradition which hasn't been done for quite a long time of having someone from the opposite party as a member of the cabinet. I wonder if Joe will go that far. Actually I think he would, the question is would the highly partisan Democrats let him?
I think he will!

What a refreshing change! (y)

ambassadorships have been the most obvious political payoffs over the years. Often the ambassador has no real expertise-that is what his or her staff is for
Agreed. It's always been the way to pay back well heeled donors.

The Republican voters who believe the election was stolen are unreachable. The Arizona Republicans who went blue against Trump are the prize here. The McCains are beloved in Arizona; I think bringing her into the Biden administration in some meaningful capacity would be smart politics.

Personally I think this post should go to someone with far more diplomatic experience.

Ambassador to the UK (Canada, Australia, New Zealand) is somewhat of a plum job. It's not one the challenges your diplomacy aptitude.

Back
Top Bottom