• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cindy Hyde-Smith and Segregation Academies

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Many have ridiculed Ms. Smith and posited that she's a racist/bigot. Rick Santorum, not intending to chide her, noted ironically that she's "traditional Mississippi." Um, yeah, that's an apropos depiction of one who (1) has alluded to her zeal for attending lynching to which a close associate might invite her, and then, amid the controversy of that remark and ostensibly denying she meant anything offensive (essentially trying to "play it off" as a slip of the tongue, merely poor diction), (2) donned Confederate garb and remarked, "This is a must see. Currently on display are artifacts connected to the daily life of the Confederate Soldier including weapons. Mississippi history at its best!"

Now one might plausibly construe the first remark as merely inauspicious; however, the combined impact of the Confederate attire and tacitly referencing the Confederate period as being "the best" of Mississippi's history poignantly suggests otherwise. But then along comes clear evidence that she was raised in an expressly anti-minority setting and, as it goes with "apples and trees," she embraced that BS, moreover, propagated such notions.

It recently came to light that MS US Senate candidate Cindy Hyde-Smith attended what's called a segregation academy -- a private school created in the wake of Brown v. Board and, more importantly, Alexander v. Holmes County Board of Education, the school's raison d'etre being to allow whites to send their kids to schools that have no Black students. Such schools are at the heart of the nexus between a certain genre of southern Christian fundamentalism and racial animus against Blacks specifically and minorities, "brown people" in general.[SUP]1[/SUP]

One might say that Smith's having attended a segregation academy was her parents' doing and it wouldn't be right to hold that against her. Fair enough, but what did Smith do? She sent her own daughter (class of '17) to one in their town (Brookhaven, MS), Brookhaven Academy.[SUP]2[/SUP] She knew Brookhaven is a segregation academy, yet she sent her kid there anyway.[SUP]3[/SUP] There's no "passing the buck" on that.

Has Smith denied harboring racist attitudes? Of course, she has. Would one expect her to have admitted to them? Hell, no. But actions speak louder than words and her actions scream far, loud and clear that she has no issue with and will palter and prevaricate in the interest of segregationists, racism/-ists, racial bigots/-try, and the like. If there were at one point a legitimate case one could make that Smith might not be a racist/bigot, that time has passed for Smith has now shown us that she no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt about her biases.

Note:
  1. See also:
  2. Brookhaven Academy is among the worst private schools in the US, landing in the bottom 18%. Other metrics:
    • 30 of 31 in the ranking of best MS STEM high schools.
    • Lincoln County, which is where Brookhaven is, is ~30% minority, mostly black, yet the school, which isn't particularly pricey (~$5K/year) has 0.03% minority enrollment.
    • Compare with:
  3. If you've wondered about the raison d'etre for so-called school choice, check out the spending per student in "whatever" state and then look at the tuition for segregation schools. The money diverted from public schools is more than enough to pay the tuition at segregation schools like Brookhaven, Leake Academy, and other segregation schools.

One might say that Smith's having attended a segregation academy was her parents' doing and it wouldn't be right to hold that against her. Fair enough, but what did Smith do? She sent her own daughter (class of '17) to one in their town (Brookhaven, MS), Brookhaven Academy. She knew Brookhaven is a segregation academy, yet she sent her kid there anyway.

It is very unfair to criticize Ms. Hyde-Smith for the school that she chose for her daughter (with, I assume, her daughter's thanks).

I assume that Ms. Hyde-Smith wanted the kind of school that ALL parents want for their children: a safe and pleasant environment where her daughter could interact with students who shared common cultural values.

(Here in Los Angeles, for example, many Jewish children attend Jewish high schools. No one criticizes them for that decision.)

It is very unfair to criticize Ms. Hyde-Smith for the school that she chose for her daughter (with, I assume, her daughter's thanks).

I assume that Ms. Hyde-Smith wanted the kind of school that ALL parents want for their children: a safe and pleasant environment where her daughter could interact with students who shared common cultural values.

(Here in Los Angeles, for example, many Jewish children attend Jewish high schools. No one criticizes them for that decision.)

You compare a Religious school to a Whites only school?

1. I don't much care in what school she enrolled her child, and I've not endogenously chided her for choosing Brookhaven. I care that Smith has been asserting that she's not bigoted/biased against Blacks/minorities and we keep seeing evidence, including her decision to enroll her child at a segregation school/academy, that contradicts the plausibility of her assertion's veracity and none that supports her assertion being true. People can and do say all sorts of things, most especially when they aim to curry others' approbation/favor, but actions, particularly independently undertaken (unforced) ones, speak louder by far than words.
  2. Were Smith not attesting to harboring no bias against Blacks/minorities, I wouldn't have a thing to say about the school she choose for her kid.
  3. Did you look at the content to which I linked in the OP? If you didn't, you should, then perhaps you'd understand why Smith's choice to enroll her child at a segregation school is germane to my point that her assertions about being unbiased re: Blacks/minorities is not credible.
  4. Red: I don't have much to say about anyone's school enrollment choices and actions so long as they aren't making public claims about themselves and seeking public approbation/votes. Truly, there's not much for "the public" to say unless and until one holds oneself out as "this or that."

Many have ridiculed Ms. Smith and posited that she's a racist/bigot. Rick Santorum, not intending to chide her, noted ironically that she's "traditional Mississippi." Um, yeah, that's an apropos depiction of one who (1) has alluded to her zeal for attending lynching to which a close associate might invite her, and then, amid the controversy of that remark and ostensibly denying she meant anything offensive (essentially trying to "play it off" as a slip of the tongue, merely poor diction), (2) donned Confederate garb and remarked, "This is a must see. Currently on display are artifacts connected to the daily life of the Confederate Soldier including weapons. Mississippi history at its best!"

Now one might plausibly construe the first remark as merely inauspicious; however, the combined impact of the Confederate attire and tacitly referencing the Confederate period as being "the best" of Mississippi's history poignantly suggests otherwise. But then along comes clear evidence that she was raised in an expressly anti-minority setting and, as it goes with "apples and trees," she embraced that BS, moreover, propagated such notions.

It recently came to light that MS US Senate candidate Cindy Hyde-Smith attended what's called a segregation academy -- a private school created in the wake of Brown v. Board and, more importantly, Alexander v. Holmes County Board of Education, the school's raison d'etre being to allow whites to send their kids to schools that have no Black students. Such schools are at the heart of the nexus between a certain genre of southern Christian fundamentalism and racial animus against Blacks specifically and minorities, "brown people" in general.[SUP]1[/SUP]

One might say that Smith's having attended a segregation academy was her parents' doing and it wouldn't be right to hold that against her. Fair enough, but what did Smith do? She sent her own daughter (class of '17) to one in their town (Brookhaven, MS), Brookhaven Academy.[SUP]2[/SUP] She knew Brookhaven is a segregation academy, yet she sent her kid there anyway.[SUP]3[/SUP] There's no "passing the buck" on that.

Has Smith denied harboring racist attitudes? Of course, she has. Would one expect her to have admitted to them? Hell, no. But actions speak louder than words and her actions scream far, loud and clear that she has no issue with and will palter and prevaricate in the interest of segregationists, racism/-ists, racial bigots/-try, and the like. If there were at one point a legitimate case one could make that Smith might not be a racist/bigot, that time has passed for Smith has now shown us that she no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt about her biases.

Note:
  1. See also:
  2. Brookhaven Academy is among the worst private schools in the US, landing in the bottom 18%. Other metrics:
    • 30 of 31 in the ranking of best MS STEM high schools.
    • Lincoln County, which is where Brookhaven is, is ~30% minority, mostly black, yet the school, which isn't particularly pricey (~$5K/year) has 0.03% minority enrollment.
    • Compare with:

snipped the bla bla blah
  1. If the school is that bad, why arent you just glad that people are not forced to go there? You feel that there needs be diversity, minority representation even in bad private schools?

One would have to be nuts to push that line of thinking.

If the school is that bad, why arent you just glad that people are not forced to go there? You feel that there needs be diversity, minority representation even in bad private schools?

Red:
Whether I do or don't isn't the point of the thread. The point of the thread is that Smith's deeds, including her choice to enroll her child at a segregation school, contradict her attestations that she harbors no animus toward Blacks/minorities. Her enrolling her child at a segregation school is one of the deeds that does so. (See post #4.)

Red:
Whether I do or don't isn't the point of the thread. The point of the thread is that Smith's deeds, including her choice to enroll her child at a segregation school, contradict her attestations that she harbors no animus toward Blacks/minorities. Her enrolling her child at a segregation school is one of the deeds that does so. (See post #4.)
So the Asian students and the Black student that enrolled there are all, too, automatically racists?

So the Asian students and the Black student that enrolled there are all, too, automatically racists?
  1. What makes you think I have anything to say about the attitudes on race held by the students at the school?
  2. Why would I know anything about the students at the school? Is one of the running for a US Congress seat? Has one of them obtained some sort of celebrity/renown?
  3. Why do you keep asking me dumb questions? Do you have something to assert in response to the OP? If so, say it. If you have a position on the topic of the OP, state it and support it.

1. What makes you think I have anything to say about the attitudes on race held by the students at the school?
  2. Why would I know anything about the students at the school? Is one of the running for a US Congress seat? Has one of them obtained some sort of celebrity/renown?
  3. Why do you keep asking me dumb questions? Do you have something to assert in response to the OP? If so, say it. If you have a position on the topic of the OP, state it and support it.
Ummm, go ahead and play dumb.

Children don't enroll themselves in a school, parents do. So you are saying [ to make it abundantly clear what is meant for those of you out there having processing problems ] that the Asian and black parents are automatically racists for enrolling their children at Brookhaven?

Got yourself a Sticky Wicket there, eh? And...

Unless it is flatly stated outright, you have NO IDEA why ANYBODY at the school desired and gained admission. I asked you "stupid questions" because you made egregiously stupid assertions ...and I very aptly cornered you on the whole of your outrageous assumptions.

I will tear the original paragraph apart even further.

Remember this:

***snip bla bla blah
Where did she say it was Mississippi at its best. A history or other teacher donning costume and period historical accouterment is often history attempted done at its best.

American History is history done best honestly... try it, you might like it.

Ummm, go ahead and play dumb.

Children don't enroll themselves in a school, parents do. So you are saying [ to make it abundantly clear what is meant for those of you out there having processing problems ] that the Asian and black parents are automatically racists for enrolling their children at Brookhaven?

Got yourself a Sticky Wicket there, eh? And...

Unless it is flatly stated outright, you have NO IDEA why ANYBODY at the school desired and gained admission. I asked you "stupid questions" because you made egregiously stupid assertions ...and I very aptly cornered you on the whole of your outrageous assumptions.

I will tear the original paragraph apart even further.

Remember this:
Where did she say it was Mississippi at its best. A history or other teacher donning costume and period historical accouterment is often history attempted done at its best.

American History is history done best honestly... try it, you might like it.
Red:
I'm not and wasn't playing dumb. I merely answered the dumb question you posed because I can't and won't read your mind.

Pink:

• Why would I know anything about Brookhaven parents other than Smith? Are any of them running for a US Congress seat? Have some of them obtained some sort of celebrity/renown?
    • If there are Asian and/or Black parents who've enrolled their kids at Brookhaven, I've, at this time, got nothing to say about the nature or extent of their attitudes about race and people of various races. I currently have nothing to say about those parents because I don't know of what else any of them may have said and done.
    • Moreover, even if those parents be bigots/racists, insofar, AFAIK, they're not holding themselves out as and attesting to being not racists/bigots, there's no information I can use to form a stance about the nature or or extent of their attitudes about race and people of various races.
  • Why do you keep asking me dumb questions?
    • Do you have positive or normative statements to offer regarding the thread's actual topic? If so, post them and support them.

Tan:
See post #4.

Teal:
You just keep thinking that....

Based on your remarks and criticisms' non-sequitur nature, you don't appear to know what the topic of my OP is.

Blue:
Here: Photo surfaces showing Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith posing with Confederate artifacts

Orange:

screen_shot_2018-11-20_at_8.23.54_pm.png

1. Smith is not as was not a school teacher of any sort.
  2. Smith was not at the facility under the auspices of being a teacher of any sort.

The point of the thread is that Smith's deeds, including her choice to enroll her child at a segregation school, contradict her attestations that she harbors no animus toward Blacks/minorities.

I respectfully disagree with the point of the thread.

Ms. Hyde-Smith may have chosen to send her daughter to that school simply because she felt that conditions at their local public school were not appropriate for her daughter.

Here in the North, many self-identified liberals send their children to public/private schools whose student bodies are primarily of the same background as that of their children.

Best wishes

Red:
I'm not and wasn't playing dumb. I merely answered the dumb question you posed because I can't and won't read your mind.

Pink:

• Why would I know anything about Brookhaven parents other than Smith? Are any of them running for a US Congress seat? Have some of them obtained some sort of celebrity/renown?
    • If there are Asian and/or Black parents who've enrolled their kids at Brookhaven, I've, at this time, got nothing to say about the nature or extent of their attitudes about race and people of various races. I currently have nothing to say about those parents because I don't know of what else any of them may have said and done.
    • Moreover, even if those parents be bigots/racists, insofar, AFAIK, they're not holding themselves out as and attesting to being not racists/bigots, there's no information I can use to form a stance about the nature or or extent of their attitudes about race and people of various races.
  • Why do you keep asking me dumb questions?
    • Do you have positive or normative statements to offer regarding the thread's actual topic? If so, post them and support them.

Tan:
See post #4.

Teal:
You just keep thinking that....

Based on your remarks and criticisms' non-sequitur nature, you don't appear to know what the topic of my OP is.

Blue:
Here: Photo surfaces showing Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith posing with Confederate artifacts

Orange:

screen_shot_2018-11-20_at_8.23.54_pm.png

1. Smith is not as was not a school teacher of any sort.
  2. Smith was not at the facility under the auspices of being a teacher of any sort.
Bro bro bro...

You're getting all caught up in your overly pedantically abstruse banalities. You were going Super Auzzie in making kangaroo leaps of logic on determining exactly why Senator Hyde-Smith enrolled her child in a certain academy. But you cannot, rather will not make the same jumping to conclusions with the minority parents of others that enrolled their children.

Why? Because it does not fit in with your lame hypothesis/narrative.
Contradicts it, matter-of-fact. You were trying, failing miserably, to make the case that the Senator because of such things as enrolling her child in a certain school coupled with the fact that she dressed in historical costume = she is automatically a racist.

That's what you want to believe since it confirms your preexisting bias [ does Obamadontcare have a provision accommodating preexisting bias coverage?].

The threads actual topic is that which includes your assertion that she is a segregationist as she sent her child to a school that Asian and Black students also attend, right?

This is what you said, cut and pasted directly from your OP post,

"If there were at one point a legitimate case one could make that Smith might not be a racist/bigot, that time has passed for Smith has now shown us that she no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt about her biases."

I am merely proving, first, that you absolutely wrong to try to determine how long anybody has to prove their innocence. There is no sell-by stale date on the determining of such... proving you wrong about your illogical leaps...

Yeah, wrong about just about everything. Anybody who teaches, whether it's their profession or not, is a teacher. Even you could one day to so aspire...

Hopefully, you will wait until you can get your facts straight.

Last edited:
Bro bro bro...

You're getting all caught up in your overly pedantically abstruse banalities. You were going Super Auzzie in making kangaroo leaps of logic on determining exactly why Senator Hyde-Smith enrolled her child in a certain academy. But you cannot, rather will not make the same jumping to conclusions with the minority parents of others that enrolled their children.

Why? Because it does not fit in with your lame hypothesis/narrative.
Contradicts it, matter-of-fact. You were trying, failing miserably, to make the case that the Senator because of such things as enrolling her child in a certain school coupled with the fact that she dressed in historical costume = she is automatically a racist.

That's what you want to believe since it confirms your preexisting bias [ does Obamadontcare have a provision accommodating preexisting bias coverage?].

The threads actual topic is that which includes your assertion that she is a segregationist as she sent her child to a school that Asian and Black students also attend, right?

This is what you said, cut and pasted directly from your OP post,

"If there were at one point a legitimate case one could make that Smith might not be a racist/bigot, that time has passed for Smith has now shown us that she no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt about her biases."

I am merely proving, first, that you absolutely wrong to try to determine how long anybody has to prove their innocence. There is no sell-by stale date on the determining of such... proving you wrong about your illogical leaps...

Yeah, wrong about just about everything. Anybody who teaches, whether it's their profession or not, is a teacher. Even you could one day to so aspire...

Hopefully, you will wait until you can get your facts straight.

roflmfao.jpg

Let me be clear: I'm laughing at you as well as at your remarks above because they make patently clear you don't know what is the topic and case presented in the OP. That you don't is what it is, and I won't deign to dignify your delusions and disabuse you of them because I ascribe to the following maxim....

Attachments

• Wrestling a pig.jpg
    Wrestling a pig.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom