• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cigna’s Algorithms Aim to Predict Opioid Abuse

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2018/12/1...redict-opioid-abuse/?guid=BL-CIOB-14672&dsk=y

Machine learning and predictive analytics is helping the health insurance company identify customers likely to overdose

Cigna Corp. is using artificial intelligence to predict whether patients might abuse and or overdose on prescription opioids as part of the company’s commitment to reducing the substance’s use among its consumers, said Mark Boxer, executive vice president and global chief information officer.

Cigna’s proprietary algorithms are aided by the use of machine learning, a subfield of artificial intelligence that refers to the science of getting computers to act intelligently without being explicitly programmed.
=========================================
AI is here hopefully in time to help reduce the opioid OD crisis in this country.

https://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2018/12/1...redict-opioid-abuse/?guid=BL-CIOB-14672&dsk=y

Machine learning and predictive analytics is helping the health insurance company identify customers likely to overdose

Cigna Corp. is using artificial intelligence to predict whether patients might abuse and or overdose on prescription opioids as part of the company’s commitment to reducing the substance’s use among its consumers, said Mark Boxer, executive vice president and global chief information officer.

Cigna’s proprietary algorithms are aided by the use of machine learning, a subfield of artificial intelligence that refers to the science of getting computers to act intelligently without being explicitly programmed.
=========================================
AI is here hopefully in time to help reduce the opioid OD crisis in this country.
I really think I've been flagged as a no go for prescription painkillers. I've been in for various pain related things and it's never an option, but I remember some of that stuff was given out like candy 20 years ago. It could have been an algorithm that flagged me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I really think I've been flagged as a no go for prescription painkillers. I've been in for various pain related things and it's never an option, but I remember some of that stuff was given out like candy 20 years ago. It could have been an algorithm that flagged me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

May be. I was in a rehab facility to relearn how to walk - with a walker - after I fell & shattered by left femur. If you wanted a Percocet, they gave you one. Every 4 hours. And when I left to go home, they gave me a bag with my unused Percocets. The PT part of the rehab was pretty low impact, so I stopped taking them due to constipation. They did come in handy at night to help with sleep.

Back
Top Bottom