• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Church Ousts Nun Who OK'd Abortion to Save Woman

Deuce

Outer space potato man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Church Ousts Nun Who OK'd Abortion to Save Woman - CBS News

CBS took the PC route and used the word "oust" instead of "excommunicate."

A nun was kicked out of the Catholic Church for approving an abortion in order to save a pregnant woman's life.

According to a National Public Radio report, Sister Margaret McBride approved the abortion for a 27-year-old woman who was 11 weeks pregnant but suffered from a serious heart condition. Doctors said the woman faced near-certain death had she continued her pregnancy at the Catholic Church in Phoenix last November.

---

But the hospital felt it could proceed because of an exception — called Directive 47 in the U.S. Catholic Church's ethical guidelines for health care providers — that allows, in some circumstance, procedures that could kill the fetus to save the mother. Sister Margaret McBride, who was an administrator at the hospital as well as its liaison to the diocese, gave her approval.

And from NPR:
Nun Excommunicated For Allowing Abortion : NPR
According to a hospital document, she had "right heart failure," and her doctors told her that if she continued with the pregnancy, her risk of mortality was "close to 100 percent."

Short version: Woman has heart problem, continued pregnancy was going to kill her. The administrator who approved the abortion was a nun, gets excommunicated.

Given a clear cut choice between kill the child and kill both, the church would have chosen both, apparently. I feel bad for everyone involved.

This is the same church that thinks its alright to abuse children, and let the priest be moved around for decides, and your surprised by this. These people are hypocrites to the fullest in my own opinion.

Last edited:
Yep, the church is sending a clear message. Molest young boys and you are forgiven and can continue to be a priest, save a woman's life and you are excommunicated.

Well I see the usual church bashers are out in force even if I disagree with their decision taking the opportunity to display your own extreme bigotry towards Christianity isn't warranted.

Well I see the usual church bashers are out in force even if I disagree with their decision taking the opportunity to display your own extreme bigotry towards Christianity isn't warranted.

How is it "bigotry towards Christianity" to point out that the Catholic Church bureaucracy has become a disgusting entity that has lost all touch with reality?

Sorry, but in this case the criticism is warranted.

Or do you not see anything backwards in excommunicating a nun because she ordered an abortion to save a woman's life and letting child molesting priests still serve in the church?

So they don't deserve to be criticized? Nothing they ever do can be challenged?
Even if we're criticizing them for things that have nothing at all to do with religion?

Who is really biased here -- the ones who call out the hypocrites or the ones who defend them even when they molest children and desire the death of women?

And from NPR:

Short version: Woman has heart problem, continued pregnancy was going to kill her. The administrator who approved the abortion was a nun, gets excommunicated.

Given a clear cut choice between kill the child and kill both, the church would have chosen both, apparently. I feel bad for everyone involved.

Apparently "the church" chose to give her an abortion, as that's what happened.

One Bishop disagrees but his word is not final.

So they don't deserve to be criticized? Nothing they ever do can be challenged?
Even if we're criticizing them for things that have nothing at all to do with religion?

Who is really biased here -- the ones who call out the hypocrites or the ones who defend them even when they molest children and desire the death of women?

Why do you want to criticize the nun who recommended and approved the abortion?

Yet another example as to why the Catholic Church is one big facepalm.

A nun recommends and approves an abortion, a catholic staff in a catholic hospital perform the abortion, all to save the mother's life, with a reverend cannon lawyer steeping up to defend this nun, and you call that a face-palm?

Last edited:
A nun recommends and approves an abortion to save the mother, a reverend cannon lawyer steps up to defend this nun, and you call that a face-palm?

No the excommunication.

If you distill "these people" to "Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted", you will have a factually accurate opinion.

Are the higher-ups going to overturn this? If so, I will retract my comment. But I'm not holding my breath.

No the excommunication.

You made a comment of "the Catholic Church".

The opinion of the Catholic Church is:
Operations, treatments, and medications that have as their direct purpose the cure of a proportionately serious pathological condition of a pregnant woman are permitted when they cannot be safely postponed until the unborn child is viable, even if they will result in the death of the unborn child.

http://compassionandchoices.org/documents/Ethical and Religious Directives.pdf

This is why a nun and a Catholic staff performed an abortion in a Catholic hospital.

This can't be the first time you've seen any kind of official step out of line and be wrong.

You made a comment of "the Catholic Church".

This is why a nun and a Catholic staff performed an abortion in a Catholic hospital.

This can't be the first time you've seen any kind of official step out of line and be wrong.

The nun was right, the higher ups at the Catholic church who excommunicated her were wrong. It's what I've been saying this whole time. It's just another example of how the Catholic Church is far off base on many issues.
Heck they just "forgave" Copernicus a week ago.

Hey come on. The Catholic Church can't be held responsible for the actions of 99% of its leaders.

She pursued an abortion at a Catholic hospital? That's interesting.

Yea, I kinda wanna hear the logic in that one.

Naw not really, organized religion as a whole has a **** ton of double standards. Catholicism is everyone's minds right now because of the whole pedophile crap.

I've noticed the Catholic Church is really losing control of the nuns, of late.
Nuns have formed a coalition and are now a political entity in their own right, independent of, and sometimes contrary to, the Church proper.
It will be interesting to see how this evolves.
The nuns I've known have all been strong, independent women; the one I'm closest to- I've known her over 25 years, she was my 3rd grade teacher- left the Church long ago and is now very active in a number of political and humanitarian efforts.

A nun was kicked out of the Catholic Church for approving an abortion in order to save a pregnant woman's life.

According to a National Public Radio report, Sister Margaret McBride approved the abortion for a 27-year-old woman who was 11 weeks pregnant but suffered from a serious heart condition. Doctors said the woman faced near-certain death had she continued her pregnancy at the Catholic Church in Phoenix last November.

The only message I am receiving from the decision to kick out the nun is that it would have been better if both the mother and foetus died. Why the nun would wish to stay in this Church is beyond me.

The only message I am receiving from the decision to kick out the nun is that it would have been better if both the mother and foetus died. Why the nun would wish to stay in this Church is beyond me.

Possibly because its her faith, still feels its her faith, and thinks the wrongful action of one Bishop doesn't speak about the entire church or faith more than the actions of a number of people helping her in the hospital that were also of the faith.

I've noticed the Catholic Church is really losing control of the nuns, of late.
Nuns have formed a coalition and are now a political entity in their own right, independent of, and sometimes contrary to, the Church proper.
It will be interesting to see how this evolves.
The nuns I've known have all been strong, independent women; the one I'm closest to- I've known her over 25 years, she was my 3rd grade teacher- left the Church long ago and is now very active in a number of political and humanitarian efforts.

In this case the nuns were acting very much within the Church's control.

It's a single Bishop who stepped out of line.

And from NPR:

Meanwhile, back at the Vatican, the pope is greasing up another alter boy.

And people wonder why the **** I hate the Catholic church (note - church as in the leaders and priests, not the people who attend mass . . . there's a HUGE difference there).

Back
Top Bottom