• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Some religious leaders are beginning to lead. This is great to see. It's a great story. Doesn't matter whether you are religious or what religion you are, it's the message that's important. There are core beliefs common to all great religions, the Golden Rule, for one. It's past time that we need to focus on what we all have in common rather than pointing out each other's differences.

imagesizer.jpg

Pastor Jeremiah Steepek transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning.
He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service, only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him.
He asked people for change to buy food – no one in the church gave him change.
He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit in the back.

Here is the rest of the article.

Are you seeking a conclusion that "People that go to church are bad?" Seems silly. Oft repeated by certain endlessly shrieking groups on this forum, but silly nonetheless.

Are you seeking a conclusion that "People that go to church are bad?" Seems silly. Oft repeated by certain endlessly shrieking groups on this forum, but silly nonetheless.

I think you missed the entire point. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

No. i was not/ am not seeking that conclusion at all.

You are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the mark, Ray.

Some religious leaders are beginning to lead. This is great to see. It's a great story. Doesn't matter whether you are religious or what religion you are, it's the message that's important. There are core beliefs common to all great religions, the Golden Rule, for one. It's past time that we need to focus on what we all have in common rather than pointing out each other's differences. View attachment 67154327 Here is the rest of the article.
Problem I see is that MOST ministers/preachers/priest are no more "Christian" than their parishioners. They are mostly concerned it seems with getting contributing arses in their seats so they can buy big houses, boats, jets, and the like.

Secondly, I wish the world would reconsider the idea of thinking that all the world would be good if only everyone followed the golden rule. Seriously. That's what we've been living under here in the USA for quite some time and it's not working out. Those that vote against things that would have helped that homeless man, they believe that if they were in the same position that they would simply go get a job, or an education to get a job, or have relatives cover them for a while. They are behaving the golden rule in their minds because they simply can't comprehend being to a point where that kind of exposed poverty is anything but a choice. The golden rule seems really good on paper, but it's in bull**** real life. And it's entirely narcissistic (hmm, isn't that one of the core problems with our country's perspectives that has created so much corruption, inequality, etc?) being based entirely on "ME" which is what the golden is focused on, me and my values instead of the him/her and his/her values.

Maybe it was just the church. Whenever I have gone to a Christian church, whether it be for a mass a member invited me too, a wedding, or to any of the community events, that they very graciously put on for the neighborhood, every single person associated with the church has always been extremely friendly and welcoming. A couple weeks ago I went with a friend's mother to a food bank at the church and the generosity and compassion showed to everyone who showed up, and many of them looked homeless, almost brought tears to my eyes. Reading the comments on that story about how Christians are this and that was pretty sad, because you can't judge all of them by the bad actions of one church. I may not believe in what they do, but I think most of their hearts are in the right place.

Some religious leaders are beginning to lead. This is great to see. It's a great story. Doesn't matter whether you are religious or what religion you are, it's the message that's important. There are core beliefs common to all great religions, the Golden Rule, for one. It's past time that we need to focus on what we all have in common rather than pointing out each other's differences.

View attachment 67154327

I think you missed the entire point. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Problem I see is that MOST ministers/preachers/priest are no more "Christian" than their parishioners. They are mostly concerned it seems with getting contributing arses in their seats so they can buy big houses, boats, jets, and the like.

Secondly, I wish the world would reconsider the idea of thinking that all the world would be good if only everyone followed the golden rule. Seriously. That's what we've been living under here in the USA for quite some time and it's not working out. Those that vote against things that would have helped that homeless man, they believe that if they were in the same position that they would simply go get a job, or an education to get a job, or have relatives cover them for a while. They are behaving the golden rule in their minds because they simply can't comprehend being to a point where that kind of exposed poverty is anything but a choice. The golden rule seems really good on paper, but it's in bull**** real life. And it's entirely narcissistic (hmm, isn't that one of the core problems with our country's perspectives that has created so much corruption, inequality, etc?) being based entirely on "ME" which is what the golden is focused on, me and my values instead of the him/her and his/her values.

Hate it say it but the story is fake

snopes.com: Jeremiah Steepek

Maybe it was just the church. Whenever I have gone to a Christian church, whether it be for a mass a member invited me too, a wedding, or to any of the community events, that they very graciously put on for the neighborhood, every single person associated with the church has always been extremely friendly and welcoming.

Same here, but I figured it was because I live in Texas. :mrgreen:

I don't think so. I've known a lot of pastors in my life and none of them resemble that remark. More often than not, they live paycheck to paycheck and give a lot of time and money to the church and to helping the poor.

If this is true, it's terrible that 10,000 people walked past this man, but some things bother me about this story.

Not to nitpick but:
* I would close this church as a fire hazard if 10,000 people all had to walk through the same entrance to pass this man. All 10,000.
*If this attention hound did this for the right reasons other than self-aggrandizement, it never would have received this much publicity.
Certainly none of the embarassed people in the church bragged about it and had him pose for a picture.
*I go to church and give plenty to charity, but after years of experience on NYC subways, I NEVER make eye contact with homeless people and tell my kids to walk away from them. To do otherwise sometimes ends (very) badly.

Super. Way to dig for the truth!

Just look at the story, there's not a single detail besides the pastor's name. No church name, no date when this took place, no location not even a state, no quotations from anyone there, etc, etc. That got me wondering and a quick google search confirmed it.

I don't think so. I've known a lot of pastors in my life and none of them resemble that remark. More often than not, they live paycheck to paycheck and give a lot of time and money to the church and to helping the poor.

I agree with you.

Our pastor turned down a pay-raise. Aside from his Sunday service duty, he devotes time to a Bible Study, a weekly prayer meeting, weekly retirement home visits, among other things.

View attachment 67154327

This pastor was very innovative in seeing if congregates were truly following the message of Christ the philosophy of compassion and empathy for the poor. Good for him.

Back
Top Bottom