• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

I guess if you ignore Chrysler's own head of manufacturing, Scott Garberding, commenting on Chrysler's own website and cited by the Huff Po and Workforce, both linked by nota bene, you could rather feebly claim Fox News is the only source. It would be rather idiotic and demonstrative of a pretty short attention span to do so, but if the Kool Aid is strong enough I guess that can trump common sense. I generally find that those focused and fixated upon anti Fox News screeds and the cornucopia of rather pathetic websites also focused on the same thing, suffer from a rather limiting and myopic vision. You could say without them, there would be so much less "filler" content of countless debate boards.

Ah well, some folks just can't see the forest through the trees. End of the day, the story is real and yet another idiotic "Fox is lying" bromide bites the dust.
Garberding gave an interview to FoxNews last September. There is no mention of the employees or the arbitration on the Chrysler website. So when exactly were the employees supposedly reinstated?

Garberding gave an interview to FoxNews last September. There is no mention of the employees or the arbitration on the Chrysler website. So when exactly were the employees supposedly reinstated?
This just gets more asinine the further along it goes. Maybe you should go back to the Chrysler website and try to read it? Maybe take two or three dozen tries at it, ya know the reading? Read the reply to the supposedly not reliably true story that was posted by Garberding today? What part of the plainly printed English is it that you can't grasp? Don't worry, we have not been confused by any of this at any point along the way, so your struggles with the obvious should be amusing. But actually it is just kind of pathetic. Strong strong Kool Aid must be the cause. Because otherwise the answer is none too complementary.

Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated | Fox News

So we the taxpayers bail out the unions car companies, employees are caught drinking on their lunch break, going back to work under the influence, are fired and now they get their jobs back? And some wonder why anyone has a problem with unions?

I can't help but wonder why no one else is checking into what all the other bailout and semi-supported company employees do on their breaks.

I have a hard time imagining that only auto-assembly workers *ever* do *anything* that's considered *wrong*

Everyone - is a hypocrite - for the harping.

I can't help but wonder why no one else is checking into what all the other bailout and semi-supported company employees do on their breaks.

I have a hard time imagining that only auto-assembly workers *ever* do *anything* that's considered *wrong*

I'm not sure the coverage of this story really had anything to do with the bailout. My understanding at the time it was aired was that it was from an anonymous tip to the news station. We have seen several stories like this over the years here locally, workers on their lunch gathering behind a plant and getting high and drinking and then going back to work under the influence. In one case a few years ago local news snoopers were able to film some city employees availing themselves of the services of prostitutes at a public park on their lunch hour! Of course in those cases no arbitrator sided with the employees and gave them their jobs back. In any case, this kind of story does very little to boost or improve the standing of many unions to many people. In fact you could say it bolsters their case. It should be interesting to see the fall out and results of this story as it grows in the public conciseness.

I'm not sure the coverage of this story really had anything to do with the bailout. My understanding at the time it was aired was that it was from an anonymous tip to the news station. We have seen several stories like this over the years here locally, workers on their lunch gathering behind a plant and getting high and drinking and then going back to work under the influence. In one case a few years ago local news snoopers were able to film some city employees availing themselves of the services of prostitutes at a public park on their lunch hour! Of course in those cases no arbitrator sided with the employees and gave them their jobs back. In any case, this kind of story does very little to boost or improve the standing of many unions to many people. In fact you could say it bolsters their case. It should be interesting to see the fall out and results of this story as it grows in the public conciseness.

No - nips like this have been going on since the bailouts began: because of the bailouts (as is evident from the journalistic harping on the 'we bailed them out and look what they're doing) over the years.

No - nips like this have been going on since the bailouts began: because of the bailouts (as is evident from the journalistic harping on the 'we bailed them out and look what they're doing) over the years.
Actually nope, the original reporting on this had nothing to do with the bailouts as the links in this thread prove. The attaching of this story to the bailouts and 'look what they are doing' comes from the author of the OP and others after the fact.

You have to wonder why you have a problem with due process.

I don't have to wonder anything. The employees were caught drinking on their lunch break, period. Assuming that this is a violation of company policy, this should be a terminable offense. I would get fired from my job if I was caught drinking on my break and I'm not building vehicles that your family may be traveling in at a high rate of speed. I would get fired from my job if I was caught drinking on my break and I'm not operating heavy machinery that could cause injury to others. Now if this is not a violation of company policy, I would have to wonder why isn't it, unless the union is OK with this - which it appears as though they are since they filed a grievance.

I don't have to wonder anything. The employees were caught drinking on their lunch break, period. Assuming that this is a violation of company policy, this should be a terminable offense. I would get fired from my job if I was caught drinking on my break and I'm not building vehicles that your family may be traveling in at a high rate of speed. I would get fired from my job if I was caught drinking on my break and I'm not operating heavy machinery that could cause injury to others. Now if this is not a violation of company policy, I would have to wonder why isn't it, unless the union is OK with this - which it appears as though they are since they filed a grievance.
Toyota recently had a lot of recalls for defective cars. Now I can't help but wonder if all their non-union employees were drunk and stoned when they built all those cars.

Anonymous tips, anonymous employees, anonymous quotes, anonymous arbitration, anonymous reinstatements....the only thing that isn't anonymous about this story is that it came from FoxNews.

Maybe all those banksters were just drunk....

Anonymous tips, anonymous employees, anonymous quotes, anonymous arbitration, anonymous reinstatements....the only thing that isn't anonymous about this story is that it came from FoxNews.
The story "came" from news reporters catching the employees drinking and smoking pot on their lunch break, a local Fox affiliate was who reported it. I did not see that you had actually wanted to claim the original story was not real, of course that would be idiotic. Meanwhile, you managed to ignore the following statement from Scott Garberding, posted today, not from September of last year. It literally debunks your entire asinine argument.

You obviously need lots of remedial assistance, so here you go. From today, confirming that this "story" is real and you just can't catch a clue.
Chrysler Blog - Response to Fox News Story Regarding Jefferson North Assembly Workers

As you obviously need things made real simple for you, allow me to help you with a screen grab. What now? Garberding is in on this conspiracy to foist a not real story that "came" from Fox News upon the public? Yip, the asinine meter is off the chart.
for the moron.jpg

She has already been shown that HUffPo story, which contains the very same link I just supplied her with. She managed to just double down on her idiotic claim, almost as if not only can't she read the English too well, but she has a mantra about Fox News and that gets in the way of, well reading and thinking too critically about the matter.

Like I said before, this just gets more asinine the more she posts.

Last edited:
That says to me the union made some kind of deal and the plant held their nose.

The workers in the lant wanted them gone.

Does that sound like they were not affected by their drugs and booze?

that is an opinion you have, do you have any facts? remember, you guys are the ones who wanted facts and not opinions so please don't expect me to give up my opinions and rationalizations in the argument when you cannot post facts.

From MyFoxDetroit, which first broke the drinking-on-the-job story, a quote by a Chrysler spokesperson:

"Chrysler Group LLC acknowledges the reinstatement of a number of employees from the Jefferson North assembly plant who were discharged from the company in September 2010 after appearing in a local TV station's story about their off-duty conduct."

I see they've changed part of the focus from the fact that it all occurred on company premises
into some dudes, monkeying around, "OFF DUTY,"
which is EXACTLY how it would be handled if it were a driver,
though I never drove for ANY company that allowed you to have alcohol on/in their property.

Anyway, it sounds like they're going to chalk it up under PRIVATE TIME = Personal Biz

There is a process to handle allegations such as these. Apparently that process was followed.

Yet another example of unions promoting inefficiency. I saw the video of these guys, and you cannot tell me that they would be efficient workers returning to the job after doing what they were doing. As a controller in the military, I worked with many unionized air traffic controllers. They are ALWAYS less efficient at doing their jobs. They ALWAYS cost the govt more than a military controller doing the exact same work. The reason: It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to fire them for anything. They get away with oversleeping and missing work on a regular basis. They can openly defy supervisors and spread rumors that undermine the ability of the facility to accomplish the mission. In order to fire them, paper trails had to be established years prior. So I end up spending a great deal of time typing up letters of reprimand, and countless other frivolous actions instead of actually doing what I came to work to do: Promote a safe and expeditious flow of air traffic. Unions tend to make the whole operation about the union, when it isn't! Oh and btw, Chrysler isn't even an American owned company last I checked, so I'm not sure what all this talk is about Obama saving the auto industry. Italy saved Chrysler....

There is a process to handle allegations such as these. Apparently that process was followed.

Auto workers caught consuming alcohol on their break - can't fire them.
Teacher sexually assaults children - can't fire them.

Gotta love unions and their "processes" don't ya? :roll:

yea so what?

Did they cost the company billions? no.

How about you look at CEO conduct.......and all the other executives.......

And what I do off the job is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS>

Yes, the Unions argued that being drunk and stoned at work was acceptable and they won the day. A great precedent.

Let's look at the union message, here, lol. They are saying that these fellas were not a risk, nor less productive than average. Meaning? The average union worker is no more productive than someone high or buzzed.

Can't make that **** up.

Yes, at one times Unions were a good thing until they became Big Business and overrun by racketeers. Now they will be supported by the Democrats, and vice versa.

These days there are laws to protect working people, and of course good reliable workers will always be at a premium.
Those laws are only as good as the people enforcing them.

What does this have to do with the bailout, looks like a negotiation between the union and the company.
The UNION was bailed out, not the car company. What does this have to do with negotiation.....duh the criminals were caught red handed doping and drinking during business hours. Not even prostitutes during business hours are permitted to do that!!!!!!!!!

that is an opinion you have, do you have any facts? remember, you guys are the ones who wanted facts and not opinions so please don't expect me to give up my opinions and rationalizations in the argument when you cannot post facts.

I just looked around me and I didn't see anybody, so who are "you guys"?

The UNION was bailed out, not the car company. What does this have to do with negotiation.....duh the criminals were caught red handed doping and drinking during business hours. Not even prostitutes during business hours are permitted to do that!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even ask what it had to do with the negotiation, I asked what did it have to do with the bailout means which you failed to read the only sentence I wrote correctly.

Back
Top Bottom