• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated

Were any of them what would be considered legally drunk?

Even OverTheRoad truck drivers are allowed to drink, while "on the job."

just sayin'

If by "on the job" you mean "driving"... no. Drinking while driving is categorically illegal in all 50 states.

^That^ part wasn't a question ~
having been an OTR driver, I know that it IS allowed, though, as you said, not WHILE driving.

I was just wondering if the dudes that got fired were actually partying DOWN,
or just sucking down a couple of brews with their lunches, you know?

^That^ part wasn't a question ~
having been an OTR driver, I know that it IS allowed, though, as you said, not WHILE driving.

I was just wondering if the dudes that got fired were actually partying DOWN,
or just sucking down a couple of brews with their lunches, you know?
They were smoking pot, so yeah. Which is against company policy. As to if the drinking is or is not, I don't know. Most companies these days frown on that, much less mixing drinking and smoking grass together. On your lunch break before you go back to work and assemble cars that people will be driving and expecting to be safe and well made. IMO here in America we are way to hung up on the alcohol at lunch thing. Having lived in Europe, having a beer or glass of wine, even cocktail, is accepted and part of the norm. Or at least it was when I was there ten years ago. Gosh I hope that has not changed there since I left, that kind of attitude might have jumped across in my absence. Now obviously certain job holders in delicate job positions, like car manufacturing, where precision is required and peoples lives are literally at stake, well I think it is fair and reasonable to expect them to forgo indulging in alcohol or grass. IMO.

Are you under the impression that Chrysler's HR department tweets anything? I mean literally anything at all? Much less the results of arbitration? I'm not. Tell you what, I'm going to go with common sense and the wild arsed guess that since Fox was following this story all along, they probably know what they are talking about. Now I know that there is a large contingent of people on the internet that would buy into the idea that Fox would and does routinely just make up stories and post them online so they can be called out on it by any of many "watchdogs" that comb through everything Fox airs. Fortunately I'm not one of them, but I tell you what. When you find out that they just made this all up and get your proof, please do come back right here and share about it. Inquiring minds................
Hey, you're the one who posted someone elses tweet as evidence. I was merely making a joke about it.

Anyway, I've been looking but I can't find anything that validates or confirms FoxNews' claim the employees were rehired. Nary a peep or a tweet from the UAW or the Chrysler Group or any credible news organization to confirm. Unlike you, I take most of what FoxNews says with a mountain of salt...and a shot of tequilla....during my lunch break of course.

http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=13505&mid=2

lol

From MyFoxDetroit, which first broke the drinking-on-the-job story, a quote by a Chrysler spokesperson:

"Chrysler Group LLC acknowledges the reinstatement of a number of employees from the Jefferson North assembly plant who were discharged from the company in September 2010 after appearing in a local TV station's story about their off-duty conduct."

While the company does not agree with the ultimate decision of the arbitrator, we respect the grievance procedure process as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement and our relationship with the UAW. Unfortunately, the company was put in a very difficult position because of the way the story was investigated and ultimately revealed to the public. These employees from Jefferson North have been off work for more than two years. The time has come to put this situation behind us and resume our focus on building quality products that will firmly establish Chrysler Group's position in the marketplace."

Chrysler Auto Workers fired after Wolchek investigation are back - Fox 2 News Headlines

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that this news outlet wouldn't publish a phony direct quote from the automaker.

What does this have to do with the bailout, looks like a negotiation between the union and the company.

Unions should have been more vigilant, but they are arrogant; and you're an apologist for them.

They were not doing it on the job. It was lunch break. A somewhat extenuating circumstance. If they were caught "on the job," it would be a different story.

Intoxication on the job is a fireable offense in most companies. But because they're union, you think it's okay. This is political hackery at its finest.

Hi nota bene how are ya? You just posted the same tweet that Gie did and my response is still the same....their source was still FoxNews.

And so I will repeat myself again: I find very unlikely the Detroit Fox News outlet publishing a false direct quote from Chrysler.

Intoxication on the job is a fireable offense in most companies. But because they're union, you think it's okay. This is political hackery at its finest.

You must have been drinking when typing/reading as I made no reference to union. Either that or an outright lie.

Unions should have been more vigilant, but they are arrogant; and you're an apologist for them.

Am I? Could you show me where because I was thinking I was just talking about how this situation has nothing to do with the bailouts?

Were the workers 'intoxicated'? An adult human can drink alcoholic beverages in conjunction with a meal and not be impaired or 'intoxicated'. Were tests conducted at the time they were discharged or was everything based on the fact that some person had seen the workers drinking during lunch break and reported it to the company.

So we the taxpayers bail out the unions car companies, employees are caught drinking on their lunch break, going back to work under the influence, are fired and now they get their jobs back? And some wonder why anyone has a problem with unions?

You have to wonder why you have a problem with due process.

If I have no information then you have no information. the people who do have the information hired them back so what does that say to you? It says to me they were fired as an overreaction and their work was not effected therefor they were reinstated. had they been fall down drunk they would have been indefensible and they would still be out of a job. o please do not tell me that i have no information so you must be right on the same lack of information. At least my ideas are supported by the resolution.

That says to me the union made some kind of deal and the plant held their nose.

The workers in the lant wanted them gone.

Does that sound like they were not affected by their drugs and booze?

Hey, you're the one who posted someone elses tweet as evidence. I was merely making a joke about it.

Anyway, I've been looking but I can't find anything that validates or confirms FoxNews' claim the employees were rehired. Nary a peep or a tweet from the UAW or the Chrysler Group or any credible news organization to confirm. Unlike you, I take most of what FoxNews says with a mountain of salt...and a shot of tequilla....during my lunch break of course.

http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=13505&mid=2

lol
I actually did not post any evidence, there was a link to a tweet that I accidentally copied while looking at the Fox piece, but I edited it out once I saw I had done so. Which brings me back to with I'll side with common sense. For example, the common sense to know that HR departments don't do much tweeting, at all. Why would they and what the hell would they tweet about? You stated the HR people at Chrysler had not even posted a tweet. So once again, are you under the impression that Chrysler's HR department tweets anything? I mean literally anything at all? Much less the results of arbitration? Are you also under the impression that the UAW or the Chrysler group tweets anything at all? That either of those two even has a Twitter page/account? I'm not. Tell you what, I'm going to go with common sense and the wild arsed guess that since Fox News was following this story all along, they probably know what they are talking about. Now I know that there is a large contingent of people on the internet that would buy into the idea that Fox would and does routinely just make up stories and post them online so they can be called out on it by any of many "watchdogs" that comb through everything Fox airs. Fortunately I'm not one of them, and I notice that not one of the Fox News attacks dogs (oh say Media Matters) has accused Fox of making up this story. So when you find *proof* that confirms your wishful thinking conspiracy theory that Fox News made this up, please do come back right here and share about it. Inquiring minds................

Last edited:
I'm all for being permitted to drink a beer or two during lunch break. I've worked jobs where my boss would take us out for lunch and buy us each a couple of beers. As long as you don't get drunk, I am all for drinking during a lunch break, and one or two beers over an hour long lunch break isn't going to get anyone drunk.

I actually did not post any evidence, there was a link to a tweet that I accidentally copied while looking at the Fox piece, but I edited it out once I saw I had done so. Which brings me back to with I'll side with common sense. For example, the common sense to know that HR departments don't do much tweeting, at all. Why would they and what the hell would they tweet about? You stated the HR people at Chrysler had not even posted a tweet. So once again, are you under the impression that Chrysler's HR department tweets anything? I mean literally anything at all? Much less the results of arbitration? Are you also under the impression that the UAW or the Chrysler group tweets anything at all? That either of those two even has a Twitter page/account? I'm not. Tell you what, I'm going to go with common sense and the wild arsed guess that since Fox News was following this story all along, they probably know what they are talking about. Now I know that there is a large contingent of people on the internet that would buy into the idea that Fox would and does routinely just make up stories and post them online so they can be called out on it by any of many "watchdogs" that comb through everything Fox airs. Fortunately I'm not one of them, and I notice that not one of the Fox News attacks dogs (oh say Media Matters) has accused Fox of making up this story. So when you find *proof* that confirms your wishful thinking conspiracy theory that Fox News made this up, please do come back right here and share about it. Inquiring minds................
Then it might surprise you to know that the CEO of Chrysler has been known to tweet and quite vociferously. But you're right, their HR dept probably doesn't tweet, but they do do press releases and the VP of Chrysler manufacturing did give FoxNews a full face interview when the employees were first caught and fired. So it's rather odd that no one from Chrysler or the UAW is coming forward to confirm or deny this latest accusation. Perhaps they don't watch FoxNews and haven't heard the employees were hired back. lol

As for buying into whether FoxNews routinely just makes up stories......the proof is in the pudding

Fox News Lies

The direct quote from Chrysler didn't have a name or anyone that could be contacted to confirm it's validity. So until someone comes forward or there is more information I'm inclined not to believe this latest accusation because of FoxNew's history and reputation. If it rarely occured I might agree with you, but unfortunately it seems to be the norm for conservative media and bloggers. But in all fairness it isn't just FoxNews, because MSNBC does it too just not quite as blatant or as often.

Sorry but I am going to reserve judgement until more information or a credible source comes forward.

OBVIOUSLY the article is bogus.

...it implies someone in Detroit working, and not on unemployment.

Then it might surprise you to know that the CEO of Chrysler has been known to tweet and quite vociferously. But you're right, their HR dept probably doesn't tweet, but they do do press releases and the VP of Chrysler manufacturing did give FoxNews a full face interview when the employees were first caught and fired. So it's rather odd that no one from Chrysler or the UAW is coming forward to confirm or deny this latest accusation. Perhaps they don't watch FoxNews and haven't heard the employees were hired back. lol

As for buying into whether FoxNews routinely just makes up stories......the proof is in the pudding

Fox News Lies

The direct quote from Chrysler didn't have a name or anyone that could be contacted to confirm it's validity. So until someone comes forward or there is more information I'm inclined not to believe this latest accusation because of FoxNew's history and reputation. If it rarely occured I might agree with you, but unfortunately it seems to be the norm for conservative media and bloggers. But in all fairness it isn't just FoxNews, because MSNBC does it too just not quite as blatant or as often.

Sorry but I am going to reserve judgement until more information or a credible source comes forward.
Well you just keep on "reserving judgement" and hold on tight to your inane theory. I make a habit of engaging in common sense as much as possible, so am uninterested in a combing through one of the many "wah wah, Fox News, wah wah" sites. But tell me, at this "Fox Lies" link you ran out and looked up, did they, ya know, out this supposed made up story about the fired workers getting their jobs back? Does it, ya know, have something about the quote where Chrysler said they disagreed with the choice to bring these workers back? Not only did Fox make up the story, but they made up quotes from Chrysler too? You bet ya, happens all the time, according to I guess websites like the one you linked to. So keep monitoring those oh so honest and accurate "wah wah Fox News, wah wah" sites you seem to really get a lot out of. I'll be here in the real world laughing at the asinine suggestion that this is not a real story and Fox News just is lying about it and posting it for the world to see and be debunked. Only I can't find anyone but a single member at political debate board making the claim it is not a real story. Common sense says there is a reason for that.

Thanks for the laugh.

From MyFoxDetroit, which first broke the drinking-on-the-job story, a quote by a Chrysler spokesperson:

"Chrysler Group LLC acknowledges the reinstatement of a number of employees from the Jefferson North assembly plant who were discharged from the company in September 2010 after appearing in a local TV station's story about their off-duty conduct."

While the company does not agree with the ultimate decision of the arbitrator, we respect the grievance procedure process as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement and our relationship with the UAW. Unfortunately, the company was put in a very difficult position because of the way the story was investigated and ultimately revealed to the public. These employees from Jefferson North have been off work for more than two years. The time has come to put this situation behind us and resume our focus on building quality products that will firmly establish Chrysler Group's position in the marketplace."

Chrysler Auto Workers fired after Wolchek investigation are back - Fox 2 News Headlines

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that this news outlet wouldn't publish a phony direct quote from the automaker.

Hmmm, from HuffPo:

At the time the video was aired, Scott Garberding, Chrysler's senior vice president of manufacturing, told the TV station, "I'm very, very disturbed about what I just saw in the video and I want to make it clear that we at Chrysler take it very seriously."

But the United Auto Workers (UAW), the union representing the assembly line employees, filed grievances on behalf of the workers that were fired.

And a third-party arbitrator sided with the union, agreeing that Chrysler had to give the workers back their jobs. They started back at the factory this week.

"Chrysler Group LLC acknowledges the reinstatement of a number of employees from the Jefferson North assembly plant who were discharged from the company in September 2010 after appearing in a local TV station's story about their off-duty conduct," the automaker said in a statement reported by Fox 2.

"While the company does not agree with the ultimate decision of the arbitrator, we respect the grievance procedure process as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement and our relationship with the UAW. Unfortunately, the company was put in a very difficult position because of the way the story was investigated and ultimately revealed to the public. These employees from Jefferson North have been off work for more than two years. The time has come to put this situation behind us and resume our focus on building quality products that will firmly establish Chrysler Group's position in the marketplace."

Chrysler Workers Drinking: Fired Employees Reinstated At Jefferson North Plant In Detroit

Hmmm, from HuffPo:

At the time the video was aired, Scott Garberding, Chrysler's senior vice president of manufacturing, told the TV station, "I'm very, very disturbed about what I just saw in the video and I want to make it clear that we at Chrysler take it very seriously."

But the United Auto Workers (UAW), the union representing the assembly line employees, filed grievances on behalf of the workers that were fired.

And a third-party arbitrator sided with the union, agreeing that Chrysler had to give the workers back their jobs. They started back at the factory this week.

"Chrysler Group LLC acknowledges the reinstatement of a number of employees from the Jefferson North assembly plant who were discharged from the company in September 2010 after appearing in a local TV station's story about their off-duty conduct," the automaker said in a statement reported by Fox 2.

"While the company does not agree with the ultimate decision of the arbitrator, we respect the grievance procedure process as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement and our relationship with the UAW. Unfortunately, the company was put in a very difficult position because of the way the story was investigated and ultimately revealed to the public. These employees from Jefferson North have been off work for more than two years. The time has come to put this situation behind us and resume our focus on building quality products that will firmly establish Chrysler Group's position in the marketplace."

Chrysler Workers Drinking: Fired Employees Reinstated At Jefferson North Plant In Detroit
Oh NO! First it was Fox News making this story up. Now it is HuffPo too? Well, hrump! Moot will have to reserve judgement until more "reliable" sources and information comes forward. This is what happens when you spend a great deal of time dreaming up HR departments that have twitter accounts and committing full time to the "Fox News Lies" mind set. You end up lacking the common sense to know that this news outlet wouldn't publish a phony direct quote from the automaker and publish it online for the world to see AND debunk. It is really is amazing how strong some Kool Aid can be.

Last edited:
Hmmm, from HuffPo:

FoxNews is still the only source.

"....And a third-party arbitrator sided with the union, agreeing that Chrysler had to give the workers back their jobs. They started back at the factory this week."

So it wasn't the union that reinstated the employees, it was a third party arbitrator? Is that right?

FoxNews is still the only source.
I guess if you ignore Chrysler's own head of manufacturing, Scott Garberding, commenting on Chrysler's own website and cited by the Huff Po and Workforce, both linked by nota bene, you could rather feebly claim Fox News is the only source. It would be rather idiotic and demonstrative of a pretty short attention span to do so, but if the Kool Aid is strong enough I guess that can trump common sense. I generally find that those focused and fixated upon anti Fox News screeds and the cornucopia of rather pathetic websites also focused on the same thing, suffer from rather myopic vision. You could say without them, there would be so much less "filler" content on countless debate boards.

Ah well, some folks just can't see the forest through the trees. End of the day, the story is real and yet another idiotic "Fox is lying" bromide bites the dust. Now remember, it is kind of hard to claim the story is not real, can't be Fox is not reliable (a laugh that one) and at the same time try to make a point about the third party arbitrator. Yet there you are doing it. What arbitrator you talking about? The one in the unreliable story that you are waiting for more reliable sources (that you have ignored so far) to report on? This just gets more asinine the further along it goes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom