• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chrysler hemi really gone this time

fortune

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
2023 will be the last year.
To be replaced with a 4.0L inline twin turbo six

I'll bet they will still find a way to market it as something like RAM 500 HEMI where 500 is Horsepower and the long lie will live

I'll bet they will still find a way to market it as something like RAM 500 HEMI where 500 is Horsepower and the long lie will live
I clearly don't have the context to understand the significance of this.

But I suppose many would have the same response if I randomly posted about how this particular piece of server hardware has an irritating tendency to not connect to it's storage device, requiring a power down and wait to get it reconnected right so it can boot up.

I clearly don't have the context to understand the significance of this.

They aren't building cars with V8s anymore because of ridiculous govt mandates

They aren't building cars with V8s anymore because of ridiculous govt mandates
V8s aren't really necessary anymore. My Honda 3.0L V6 has 244 HP, that's more than many of the V8s from the good old days and my car was built in 2006. They're even more advanced now. I was a big believer in "there is no substitute for cubic inches" but it isn't true anymore. VTEC, dual overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, fuel injection, there's no need for those huge engines and gas guzzling anymore.

Technology, not the government, is killing V8s. When you can get the power with less weight, that is actually a good thing.

They specifically are stopping building them because of the government fines.

V8s aren't really necessary anymore. My Honda 3.0L V6 has 244 HP, that's more than many of the V8s from the good old days and my car was built in 2006. They're even more advanced now. I was a big believer in "there is no substitute for cubic inches" but it isn't true anymore. VTEC, dual overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, fuel injection, there's no need for those huge engines and gas guzzling anymore.

Yes but the V8s now are putting out 500-800 HP

No one needs a 700 or 800 HP gas guzzler. Dodge is planning an electric muscle car to replace it.

People want reduced reliance on foreign oil. These are often the same people who want to drive muscle cars and SUVs. The days of this nonsense are coming to an end and none too soon.

Actually it is because they are making a new hybrid version and don't want to compete with themselves: https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/dodge-killing-off-hellcats-after-2023-to-make-room-for-2024-ev

Come on, stop with the NO ONE NEEDS nonsense, please.
Of COURSE no one NEEDS it.
No one even needs more than THIRTY TWO horsepower, as proven by the popularity of 1950's/1960's VW Beetles.

This was NEVER about "need" it was about WANT and when you have HEMI $$$, that IS what you want.
Anyway, the cost of a Hemi-V8 is about to skyrocket because I'm sure there's quite a few Hemi engines in circulation but they
won't be for very long.

Unbelievable...seems like in every single high performance car thread there's always someone ready to
mumble the smarmy "no one needs bla bla bla quack quack quack"....yeah WE KNOW.

@Loulit01 you're a great guy but you're in the wrong thread, sorry.
You don't have any connection to the subject matter.

Our Chrysler minivan is officially faster than a 1972 Camaro Rally Sport, and a bunch of other V8 powered muscle cars.
It's equipped with a 3.6 liter Pentastar V6 and it outweighs a Camaro RS by more than a thousand pounds thanks to being handicap accessible.

Nevertheless that said, nothing is quite as fun as a Chrysler HEMI.
And that's the whole point, it's not about whether it's needed or whether it can hang with modern designs...it's about fun.
People don't buy HEMI cars for basic transportation.

No one needs a 700 or 800 HP gas guzzler. Dodge is planning an electric muscle car to replace it.

People want reduced reliance on foreign oil. These are often the same people who want to drive muscle cars and SUVs. The days of this nonsense are coming to an end and none too soon.
People buy those cars for the same reason people buy boats or yachts or any other expensive thing they want for fun.
It's not and never has been a need.

But a significant part of our economy is fulfilling wants, not needs.

Will probably follow Ford who is limiting the 5.0 production to the supercar/truck and using a smaller twin turbo in most other product.

Gas mileage will stay high enough for long enough to have most new vehicle buyers looking at MPG numbers a little closer.

Gotta give props though...that engine STARTED OUT in 1951!
Holy crap! Nineteen Fifty One! That's SEVENTY one years ago!

Yeah, pretty amazing, and they reintroduced it in 2004 after a thirty year absence.
Almost no one thought we'd see the HEMI V8 reintroduced but it came back better than ever.

It's been an incredible run for "The Elephant Motor".

1648684610477.png

The "Fratzog" is back and it's carrying some lightning bolts.
What's a Fratzog? It's that weird 3-spoked 1960's Chrysler logo that was eerily reminiscent of Spock's "Vulcan" themes in Star Trek.
And apparently it's back to usher in a new era at MoPar...the ELECTRIC era, that is.

1648686172647.png

"Performance Made Us Do It" (YouTube - 1 min RT)

Gotta give props though...that engine STARTED OUT in 1951!
Holy crap! Nineteen Fifty One! That's SEVENTY one years ago!

Yeah, pretty amazing, and they reintroduced it in 2004 after a thirty year absence.
Almost no one thought we'd see the HEMI V8 reintroduced but it came back better than ever.

It's been an incredible run for "The Elephant Motor".

View attachment 67383085
I’m confused, 71 minus 30…….carry the one….let’s see….40, right?

Bottom line and what people will buy was not a factor in any of this……

I’m confused, 71 minus 30…….carry the one….let’s see….40, right?

Bottom line and what people will buy was not a factor in any of this……

Introduced in 1951, canceled in 1971, reintroduced in 2004.

Yes but the V8s now are putting out 500-800 HP
Yes, which is functionally useless in the era of electrification. I will keep my loud ICE two-seat convertible, roll cage and all, until the end of eternity, because I LOVE it and am attached to it, but if I want fast then there's really no point in wishing for a V8 lifeline when I can already snap off a 3 second 0-60 with passengers in a safe, comfortable EV.

Instant torque is just too delicious.

Our Chrysler minivan is officially faster than a 1972 Camaro Rally Sport, and a bunch of other V8 powered muscle cars.
It's equipped with a 3.6 liter Pentastar V6 and it outweighs a Camaro RS by more than a thousand pounds thanks to being handicap accessible.

Nevertheless that said, nothing is quite as fun as a Chrysler HEMI.
And that's the whole point, it's not about whether it's needed or whether it can hang with modern designs...it's about fun.
People don't buy HEMI cars for basic transportation.

Sometimes, as with our current 7000# GVWR tow rated vehicle (2002 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3L V8) it is necessary. Since we lack the necessary funds to get a $100K tow rated EV, we are planing to get a 2017 (or later) used Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon with a 3.6L V6 - currently (over)priced from about $30K. It would get better fuel mileage and still (barely) serve as a tow vehicle for our two larger trailers.

Actually it is because they are making a new hybrid version and don't want to compete with themselves: https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/dodge-killing-off-hellcats-after-2023-to-make-room-for-2024-ev
actually no one is wrong in this thread... semantics mostly.
Even F1 is going hybrid and the only reason it is not full electric is for the fans. Right now they are even talking about a two cycle V2 for the sound they cannot get with 100% battery electric alone. So maybe Selantis is thinking along the same lines an with EV in the Plaid perfromance range with dragstrip explosive burnouts... they have the drag strip market already so...

Yes, which is functionally useless in the era of electrification. I will keep my loud ICE two-seat convertible, roll cage and all, until the end of eternity, because I LOVE it and am attached to it, but if I want fast then there's really no point in wishing for a V8 lifeline when I can already snap off a 3 second 0-60 with passengers in a safe, comfortable EV.

Instant torque is just too delicious.

Nothing sounds like a v8 going down the highway, and filling up in 5 minutes.

Until EVs can recharge in 15 minutes or less, I will always choose a gas car. I love road trips

Sometimes, as with our current 7000# GVWR tow rated vehicle (2002 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3L V8) it is necessary. Since we lack the necessary funds to get a $100K tow rated EV, we are planing to get a 2017 (or later) used Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon with a 3.6L V6 - currently (over)priced from about $30K. It would get better fuel mileage and still (barely) serve as a tow vehicle for our two larger trailers.

Well....you probably disagree on this but if it's towing, I always try to opt for DIESEL, specifically TURBO-DIESEL.
Look, a Detroit Diesel V8 will fit in ANY full size pickup truck.
YES YES YES you WILL have to make modifications but look at it this way, a good junkyard Detroit Diesel can be had for under 4000 bucks and
the transplant will hardly be more than six to eight thousand total.
So if I owned an older full size pickup with a tired gas engine, that is the route I would go to stay cheap.

Back
Top Bottom