• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chrysler hemi really gone this time

426 Hemi, high-rise manifold with dual quads, cammed, high-flow exhaust, hell, the fact that we don't need giant cave bears roaming the streets doesn't mean we can't mourn their passing.

Nothing sounds like a v8 going down the highway, and filling up in 5 minutes.

Until EVs can recharge in 15 minutes or less, I will always choose a gas car. I love road trips
They all have their place. The best is being able to afford both.

I agree nothing sounds like a NA v8 going down the highway... of course nothing sounds like an i4 at 9000rpm either... and nothing sounds like a fast revving turbo I6.... and nothing feels like an electric powertrain doing a 50 to 80 in a second and change with a friends in the back seat.

They're all great experiences.

The difference is that some of those experiences are at the tail end of a 100 year development cycle, and one is barely a decade into its century-long cycle. Automakers know this, and are going to bet accordingly. Miss that V8 sound? Well, maybe there will be an app to generate and pipe it through your cabin audio. That's how it's going to be.

Nothing sounds like a v8 going down the highway, and filling up in 5 minutes.

Until EVs can recharge in 15 minutes or less, I will always choose a gas car. I love road trips

They DO, that's why it's called a "SuperCharger".
Fifteen minutes will get you 60 percent of your full range.
Do the math....a full overnight charge plus two SuperCharge fillups? Unless you snort speed or have a second driver,
it is not possible to exceed the range of a full charge plus two SC fillups in 24 hours of driving.

Couple that with the fact that 90% of typical everyday driving is less than fifty miles and you're just blowing your wad on silly talk about EV's.

Well....you probably disagree on this but if it's towing, I always try to opt for DIESEL, specifically TURBO-DIESEL.
Look, a Detroit Diesel V8 will fit in ANY full size pickup truck.
YES YES YES you WILL have to make modifications but look at it this way, a good junkyard Detroit Diesel can be had for under 4000 bucks and
the transplant will hardly be more than six to eight thousand total.
So if I owned an older full size pickup with a tired gas engine, that is the route I would go to stay cheap.

The Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon models are also available with a 2.4L turbo diesel which slightly increases towing capacity.

They all have their place. The best is being able to afford both.

I agree nothing sounds like a NA v8 going down the highway... of course nothing sounds like an i4 at 9000rpm either... and nothing sounds like a fast revving turbo I6.... and nothing feels like an electric powertrain doing a 50 to 80 in a second and change with a friends in the back seat.

They're all great experiences.

The difference is that some of those experiences are at the tail end of a 100 year development cycle, and one is barely a decade into its century-long cycle. Automakers know this, and are going to bet accordingly. Miss that V8 sound? Well, maybe there will be an app to generate and pipe it through your cabin audio. That's how it's going to be.

I suspect we will eventually see something USEFUL applied instead, such as an inboard cooling fan that is designed to generate useful "safety noise" when running,
which just HAPPENS to "sound good". It's not difficult, as I am sure you know, to design an acoustically pleasing device that can move large amounts of air.

I suspect we will eventually see something USEFUL applied instead, such as an inboard cooling fan that is designed to generate useful "safety noise" when running,
which just HAPPENS to "sound good". It's not difficult, as I am sure you know, to design an acoustically pleasing device that can move large amounts of air.
Definitely possible.

Right now the numbers add up squarely in favor of digital acoustics; speakers/digital amps are incredibly energy efficient for what they do, versus generating sound through aero at a CdA penalty that today no EV could afford. But, were I to project a couple of decades out where we have 2x or more energy in the vehicle and range is a non-issue, I'd expect all sorts of funky aero and with that, all sorts of neat features including those of the acoustic variety.

The Hummer EV is IMO an early sign of this... add a large enough battery, and who cares if it's not so efficient because you decided to add a bunch of stupid fun stuff? :)

Well....you probably disagree on this but if it's towing, I always try to opt for DIESEL, specifically TURBO-DIESEL.
Look, a Detroit Diesel V8 will fit in ANY full size pickup truck.
YES YES YES you WILL have to make modifications but look at it this way, a good junkyard Detroit Diesel can be had for under 4000 bucks and
the transplant will hardly be more than six to eight thousand total.
So if I owned an older full size pickup with a tired gas engine, that is the route I would go to stay cheap.

That's a six cylinder, and it weighs 1700 pounds.

That's a six cylinder, and it weighs 1700 pounds.

I said nothing about the weight of the engine.
I was talking about COST of a used one.
Yeah, it weighs 1700# and sports about 1200 ft/lbs of torque.

Don't forget, the current subject was TOWING.

I said nothing about the weight of the engine.
I was talking about COST of a used one.
Yeah, it weighs 1700# and sports about 1200 ft/lbs of torque.

Don't forget, the current subject was TOWING.

Towing a wagon? In the real world, pickup trucks tow trailers. Trailers have part of their weight applied to the truck.
What this means is, I can tow more with my 6.0 gas 2500 than my buddy with his diesel 2500. Both Silverado trucks, one a 2016 the other a 2018. That's because his heavy Duramax/Allison combo takes away from the load capacity of the truck. So while his diesel will pull a house down if you can hook up to it, he can't carry enough weight on his truck to legally tow the same trailer I can.

The crew cab models (which we would want) are not that small.

Yeah, that's because full size trucks OF TODAY are almost TWICE the size of the trucks you and I grew up with.
A Chevy Colorado is about the same size as a typical 1960's Chevy C10 which, AT that TIME, was considered "full size".
Look, when someone talks about towing, they usually aren't talking about a jet ski.

A Smart Car could tow a jet ski.

No one needs a 700 or 800 HP gas guzzler. Dodge is planning an electric muscle car to replace it.
That's for people to decide for themselves in a free market.
People want reduced reliance on foreign oil. These are often the same people who want to drive muscle cars and SUVs. The days of this nonsense are coming to an end and none too soon.
Nothing is stopping us from exploiting our own oil except our own policies. If we want to throw out some regulations, I'd possibly be open to not allowing oil extracted in US territory being exported out of country.

Yeah, that's because full size trucks OF TODAY are almost TWICE the size of the trucks you and I grew up with.
A Chevy Colorado is about the same size as a typical 1960's Chevy C10 which, AT that TIME, was considered "full size".
Look, when someone talks about towing, they usually aren't talking about a jet ski.

A Smart Car could tow a jet ski.

We have two 7000# GRVW trailers (dual axles with electric brakes): a 28’ travel trailer (video below) and a 16’ x 7’ enclosed trailer (my mobile workshop).

Last edited:
We have two 7000# GRVW trailers (dual axles with electric brakes): a 28’ travel trailer (RV) and a 16’ x 7’ enclosed trailer (my mobile workshop).

I hate to sound like the towing police, but those trailers might be pushing a crew cab Colorado. We had a 21' hybrid RV that had about 600 pounds tongue weight. Truck load capacities often are based on 1/2 tank fuel and 150 pound driver. Anything over that, including hitch weight- which can be 100 pounds for a load distribution type- applies to your cargo capacity along with that tongue weight.

That's for people to decide for themselves in a free market.
There's no such thing as a free market. That's a nonsense term.
Nothing is stopping us from exploiting our own oil except our own policies. If we want to throw out some regulations, I'd possibly be open to not allowing oil extracted in US territory being exported out of country.
The idea is to use less oil not drill for more oil. Why is this so hard to understand?

We have two 7000# GRVW trailers (dual axles with electric brakes): a 28’ travel trailer (video below) and a 16’ x 7’ enclosed trailer (my mobile workshop).

I would still go diesel but in your case you could get by just fine with a transplanted Nissan turbodiesel, the kind found in those box trucks.
Anyway, it's just my "thing" I guess, I don't believe in towing trailers that size with gasoline engines.
I don't like getting 4 mpg. 😆

There's no such thing as a free market. That's a nonsense term.
Yes and no....there are markets that have less or more freedom. Why do you feel your POV should be the one that is imposed on everyone else?
The idea is to use less oil not drill for more oil. Why is this so hard to understand?
You said foreign oil, now no oil at all. Moving the goal post there. That aside, why is the idea to drill less?

Yes and no....there are markets that have less or more freedom. Why do you feel your POV should be the one that is imposed on everyone else?
Not my point of view. Climate change is real. Using less oil will reduce or dependence on foreign oil without drilling for more oil. Using less oil reduces greenhouse gas emissions. Using less oil is win-win. This is not opinion.
You said foreign oil, now no oil at all. Moving the goal post there. That aside, why is the idea to drill less?

Where did I say no oil at all? I'm just going to stop reponding to reading comprehension problems.

Not my point of view. Climate change is real. Using less oil will reduce or dependence on foreign oil without drilling for more oil. Using less oil reduces greenhouse gas emissions. Using less oil is win-win. This is not opinion.
It was already stated that the US is already reducing it's carbon footprint so much that we didn't even need to join the climate accord. It's being handled here just fine. If you're actually so concerned about it then you'd point your crusade towards countries like China, India, Brazil, ect.

Also, I hope you support nuclear energy.

Where did I say no oil at all? I'm just going to stop reponding to reading comprehension problems.
*sigh* Semantics....you said less reliance on foreign oil, but then switched to less oil. Well, we can still do less oil and also use our own oil. It's not mutually exclusive. We're still going to be using a lot of oil for a good long while.

I would still go diesel but in your case you could get by just fine with a transplanted Nissan turbodiesel, the kind found in those box trucks.
Anyway, it's just my "thing" I guess, I don't believe in towing trailers that size with gasoline engines.
I don't like getting 4 mpg. 😆

That gas mileage isn't too hyperbolic. I get about 6.5 mpg under good conditions with my 6.0, towing a 10,000 pound fifth wheel. My buddy with his Duramax gets 12 towing a little heavier fifth wheel.

BUT, the Duramax was a nearly 10 grand option. That buys a lot of gas. Gas is generally cheaper. No Diesel Exhaust Fluid to buy. (Which, when I first heard of it, thought it was a joke thing like blinker fluid.) Maintenance is cheaper on the gasser. And I have more load capacity. I'll grant that Duramax walks away with a heavy trailer like it ain't even there, though.

That gas mileage isn't too hyperbolic. I get about 6.5 mpg under good conditions with my 6.0, towing a 10,000 pound fifth wheel. My buddy with his Duramax gets 12 towing a little heavier fifth wheel.

BUT, the Duramax was a nearly 10 grand option. That buys a lot of gas. Gas is generally cheaper. No Diesel Exhaust Fluid to buy. (Which, when I first heard of it, thought it was a joke thing like blinker fluid.) Maintenance is cheaper on the gasser. And I have more load capacity. I'll grant that Duramax walks away with a heavy trailer like it ain't even there, though.

We were talking about low cost options, not a brand new truck.
I'm still thinking transplants.

We were talking about low cost options, not a brand new truck.
I'm still thinking transplants.
I dunno. I understand the attraction to a gearhead, but I really can't see a Frankenstein conversion like in your video as being cheap or all that practical.

I have some experience driving those old 2 stroke Detroits, and also hearing them run in heavy equipment and APCs. They're LOUD, and IMO annoying sounding. They're not really fuel efficient compared to modern diesels. I've never seen one that didn't burn and leak oil, unless really fresh. When they cold start, they smoke like a Hollywood fog machine. They're torquey within a narrow power band...keep 'em wound up tight. Oil changes will be 4 or 5 gallons. Plus fuel and oil filters.

Since they're made to move 30 or 40 tons, yeah one wouldn't have much trouble powering a pickup. But nah...I would say replace a tired gas motor with another gas motor. If it's an old Chevy, an LS is almost a plug and play, and is probably sufficient for most anything you can do with a pickup that doesn't involve mountains. We had a '76 Chevy 1 ton dually with a 350 small block GM crate motor. Heavy utility bed, hydraulic outriggers and cherry picker, and a 100 gallon transfer tank. 4 spd manual and 4.10 gears. Hauled a 10,000 gross pintle hitch trailer with it all the time. It wasn't fast, but it got there.

The other is issue is the cost of out-of-warranty repairs on a modern diesel can be shockingly high, whereas your LS 6.0 is easy to work on.

V8s aren't really necessary anymore. My Honda 3.0L V6 has 244 HP, that's more than many of the V8s from the good old days and my car was built in 2006. They're even more advanced now. I was a big believer in "there is no substitute for cubic inches" but it isn't true anymore.

It is is true, because for many applications you need low end torque, and your turbo v6 doesn't have much.

Yes, it's true due to government mandates they are putting smaller turbocharged DI engines in trucks now that can tow and haul, but the problem is it takes a lot of technology and complexity to get a little engine to make decent torque, and you end up trading off reliability and longevity for relatively small increases in fuel economy.

I see the same thing with high efficiency boilers and furnaces. Sure they use less fuel, but to get that small fuel savings requires a lot of sensors and complexity and it only takes one service call for your entire yearly fuel savings to go down the toilet.

Back
Top Bottom