• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chronic pot use may have serious effects on the brain, experts say

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/ment...ave-serious-effects-brain-experts-say-n924441

More research needs to be done to highlight the long-term effects of marijuana use on the brain, body and our behavior, experts say.

As marijuana legalization builds momentum across the United States — with Michigan becoming the latest state to allow recreational use by adults — researchers are warning that more studies are needed on the long-term effects of chronic pot smoking on the human brain.

Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States, but little is known about its effect on health or how addictive it is.
=========================================================
I had a lot of daily pot abuse years ago & some of the personal results were not good. I feel that it is bad for teenagers because their brains & lives are still developing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/ment...ave-serious-effects-brain-experts-say-n924441

More research needs to be done to highlight the long-term effects of marijuana use on the brain, body and our behavior, experts say.

As marijuana legalization builds momentum across the United States — with Michigan becoming the latest state to allow recreational use by adults — researchers are warning that more studies are needed on the long-term effects of chronic pot smoking on the human brain.

Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States, but little is known about its effect on health or how addictive it is.
I had a lot of daily pot abuse years ago & some of the personal results were not good. I feel that it is bad for teenagers because their brains & lives are still developing.

They don't call them dope heads and burnouts for nothing.

Good news about legalization - now science is allowed to determine the "safe" amount.

I agree, more studies need to be done. But open ended reporting without providing context, facts, or science, drives unnecessary stigma, and is as irresponsible as saying no studies should be done - saying this in general, Jack, not beating up on your source, primarily because I can't open it for some reason where I'm at.

That's been one of the standard fallback positions for people on the wrong side of the issue for a long time.

We don't know as much as we could because for the last century or so, the federal government has blocked almost all research!

If they had just butted out in the first place, industry would know marijuana from stem to stern by now.

That said, it's worth researching it, and naturally few believe it is wise for minors to use it.

I'd hope that the next big government study would be done with re-scheduling in mind, which will itself open up more research.

Every year in the USA (figures from other western countries would probably be similar, per capita) 50,000 people die from alcohol related illnesses like liver/kidney disease, etc, while another 20,000 die from alcohol toxicity. That's around 70,000 deaths every year from alcohol.

How many die each year from smoking grass?

Every year in the USA (figures from other western countries would probably be similar, per capita) 50,000 people die from alcohol related illnesses like liver/kidney disease, etc, while another 20,000 die from alcohol toxicity. That's around 70,000 deaths every year from alcohol.

Well many of the young don't know and the rest seemed to have forgotten. Marijuana just happened to stem from hemp, the stalk if you will.

The bldg. supply industry as well high use metals and wood (as in forests owned by Hearst) bought the congress and formed a campaign.

(Ex: Ford's early Model T had except for the frame, everything made of hemp with a little wood)

This was a complete public and congressional campaign to denigrate the psychotropic effects as 'Refer Madness' or 'Killer Weed'

not to prohibit pot but to ban hemp from competing with them. It succeeded with flying colors, govt. making it a schedule 1 drug.

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.

Some examples of Schedule I drugs are: heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis),

3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote.

Alcoholism (alcohol addiction) is rampant, socially acceptable, causes widespread injury and property damage, and it's perfectly legal.

Any way you slice it, people should not be going to prison for having cannabis on them.

The government is losing the battle. Just legalize it now.

Completely unsurprising. Even if there were no long-term health effects, I wouldn't support marijuana legalization, because it's not socially healthy for everyone to be high all the time. Technology has already made people far too easily separated from the real world and lucid interaction with others. Add drugs and I really worry for our future.

But I don't oppose legalization in small areas as a test to see what happens.

Another gross failure from our failed leadership...decade after decade after decade go by but sadly so much of the work never gets done.

Completely unsurprising. Even if there were no long-term health effects, I wouldn't support marijuana legalization, because it's not socially healthy for everyone to be high all the time. Technology has already made people far too easily separated from the real world and lucid interaction with others. Add drugs and I really worry for our future.

But I don't oppose legalization in small areas as a test to see what happens.

You know we're way past that, right? Colorado has had legal recreational weed for a decade, and California's two years deep. They have billboards hanging near LAX that I can see from my office.

As far you objection goes, where are you on alcohol? Other have already pointed out that it does far more damage, and yet prohibition doesn't seem to be an option there.

Does your desire for everyone to be sober ever clash with a desire for our laws to be consistent?

You know what else has deleterious long term effects? Sunshine. Stay inside, live under a rock.

Prohibition will never work, alcohol proved that. If you don't like weed don't smoke it. You can't expect a free society to tolerate laws based on a few peoples preferences. Especially laws that imprison more people than China, North Korea, and whatever hell hole you can think of, combined.

Can't do it, and claim to be a free society.

Back
Top Bottom