• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Christopher Steele: I Was Hired to Help Hillary Clinton Challenge the 2016 Election Results

chuckiechan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...-clinton-challenge-the-2016-election-results/

I don't recall seeing this posted here so I'm not quite sure what to make about this:

From a Washington Times report:
In an answer to interrogatories, Mr. Steele wrote: “Fusion’s immediate client was law firm Perkins Coie. It engaged Fusion to obtain information necessary for Perkins Coie LLP to provide legal advice on the potential impact of Russian involvement on the legal validity of the outcome of the 2016 US Presidential election.

“Based on that advice, parties such as the Democratic National Committee and HFACC Inc. (also known as ‘Hillary for America’) could consider steps they would be legally entitled to take to challenge the validity of the outcome of that election.”

So I can't imagine that Mueller has not talked to these people. It is so intertwined with Muellers central mission to "investigate Russian meddling in the US election", there is no way in hell this can be avoided. This "confession" of Steeles goes to the heart of the FISA warrant and spying on the Trump campaign. FISA is to to be used for domestic spying on the opposition party.

Breitbart citing information from Moonie Times...yeah, no.

I tried to find this information on a legitimate site and could not find a single valid source for Steele's supposed statements.

Got the original source?

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...-clinton-challenge-the-2016-election-results/

I don't recall seeing this posted here so I'm not quite sure what to make about this:

So I can't imagine that Mueller has not talked to these people. It is so intertwined with Muellers central mission to "investigate Russian meddling in the US election", there is no way in hell this can be avoided. This "confession" of Steeles goes to the heart of the FISA warrant and spying on the Trump campaign. FISA is to to be used for domestic spying on the opposition party.

translation: Steele never said this.

Not only is the headline quote not even in the article. But they misquoted Obama too! What a joke.

translation: Steele never said this.

Not only is the headline quote not even in the article. But they misquoted Obama too! What a joke.

I would not go that far. I dug around and found this: https://twt-media.washtimes.com/media/misc/2018/12/13/Steele_August_filing.pdf

The statement in the OP is indeed in there. Assuming the document is legitimate, not sure what the big deal is. Perkins-Coie is a law firm. Unless the OP is intimating that Steele made up information, not sure why any of this would be a problem. Perhaps the OP can elaborate?

I would not go that far. I dug around and found this: https://twt-media.washtimes.com/media/misc/2018/12/13/Steele_August_filing.pdf

The statement in the OP is indeed in there. Assuming the document is legitimate, not sure what the big deal is. Perkins-Coie is a law firm. Unless the OP is intimating that Steele made up information, not sure why any of this would be a problem. Perhaps the OP can elaborate?

This is the closest quote I could find but I stand by what I said. Steele never said that he was hired to help Hillary. Hillary was free to use the information just as much as the GOP was free to use the information. They both sought his services.
Based on that advice, parties such as the Democratic National Committee and HFACC Inc. (also known as “Hillary for America”) could consider steps they would be legally entitled to take to challenge the validity of the outcome of that election.

Intimating? If that's like spreading unverified garbage, then yeah, it was intimated.
And yes, it's still unverified.
If you're prepared to say it's been verified then be prepared to say what.

Intimating? If that's like spreading unverified garbage, then yeah, it was intimated.

Besides, Steele didn't have to fabricate anything. He just paid the people who did, many of whom appear to be Russian agents or ex-agents for the various organs of Russian intelligence. They are people Steele would know.

Holy misleading thread title, Batman.

If it has to do with Hillary, Mueller doesn't care.

What are you talking about?

Who was "spreading unverified garbage"? Steele's sources? Possibly. Steele himself? Don't recall reading any source that says Steele was spreading information from his dossier around. Time-line was basically this: Perkins-Coie hires Fusion GPS to dig up dirt on Trump. Not sure if they specified Russian dirt, but Fusion specifically hired Steele for that because of his extensive experience with Russian intelligence. When Steele reaches out to his sources, he is astonished by how much human intelligence on Trump existed in Russian circles. So he reaches out to the FBI because he thinks it is a big thing that the grooming of Trump seems to be a well-known thing in Russia. The FBI toys around with him for awhile, then the NY Times comes out with a piece stating that US intelligence has found no connection between Trump and Russia. Steele thinks this is bull**** so he goes to Michael Isakoff of Yahoo News to discuss this. That appears to be the first instance of Steele "spreading unverified garbage", but there is no evidence he did so simply because he wanted Trump to lose the election. As someone with extensive experience (20 years) with Russia, he was concerned that a possible Russian asset could be president of the US. Last I looked, England is still our ally so someone who has worked extensively with US intelligence in the past might be a bit concerned about something of this nature.

I have never been one to say the Steele dossier was "verified" and "damning". It is nothing but recollections of raw human intelligence on Donald Trump and Russia. Nothing had been verified by Steele. He never claimed as much. But he thought that where there is all that smoke, there is a good potential for fire. That is why he went to the FBI so they could try to follow up and gather better intelligence.

The big deal is that there is no way in hell Mueller could not have interviewed Steele or those connected to him since the Mueller probe is "Russian interference and Trump involvement" if the man who wrote the dossier is making such a public explanation.

This brings us to the FISA court - the USA's own personal "Star Chamber". It is allowed under the conditions that it not be use for citizen to citizen spying but only for foreign actors and citizens acting on behalf of foreign governments. The question that needs to be answered on the behalf of citizens is "was FISA used illegally", and if it was why? "Did someone mislead the FISA court?" The ends do not justify the means in federal court. The misuse of "star chamber" power is a big threat to the entire FISA system itself as the system operates in the dark with no oversight and is ripe for abuse. There are many who given the chance would cancel the program entirely based on it's lack of transparency.

Perkins Coie was involved in the alleged pay for play with Clinton as Sec of State, the Russians buying rights to US uranium, and Bill Clinton's speaking fees leading to millions in the bank from Russian's who love to hear him speak at a 1/5 million a pop.

The big deal is that there is no way in hell Mueller could not have interviewed Steele or those connected to him since the Mueller probe is "Russian interference and Trump involvement" if the man who wrote the dossier is making such a public explanation.

OK. So is that a statement of belief or...?

This brings us to the FISA court - the USA's own personal "Star Chamber". It is allowed under the conditions that it not be use for citizen to citizen spying but only for foreign actors and citizens acting on behalf of foreign governments. The question that needs to be answered on the behalf of citizens is "was FISA used illegally", and if it was why? "Did someone mislead the FISA court?" The ends do not justify the means in federal court. The misuse of "star chamber" power is a big threat to the entire FISA system itself as the system operates in the dark with no oversight and is ripe for abuse. There are many who given the chance would cancel the program entirely based on it's lack of transparency.

OK. What are you saying was done illegally here then by the FISA court or by any parties seeking a FISA warrant?

Perkins Coie was involved in the alleged pay for play with Clinton as Sec of State, the Russians buying rights to US uranium, and Bill Clinton's speaking fees leading to millions in the bank from Russian's who love to hear him speak at a 1/5 million a pop.

Key word, and irrelevant to this discussion.

OK. So is that a statement of belief or...?

OK. What are you saying was done illegally here then by the FISA court or by any parties seeking a FISA warrant?

Key word, and irrelevant to this discussion.

I answered you to see if you were worth a thoughtful answer. Sorry we wasted each other’s time.

“Alleged” was used to tone down the flaming until the investigation is completed. If ever.

This is the closest quote I could find but I stand by what I said. Steele never said that he was hired to help Hillary. Hillary was free to use the information just as much as the GOP was free to use the information. They both sought his services.

*They both sought his services.*

The GOP neither paid for nor sought Steele's services. I do believe you've been corrected concerning this already, if not you have been now.

I answered you to see if you were worth a thoughtful answer. Sorry we wasted each other’s time.

“Alleged” was used to tone down the flaming until the investigation is completed. If ever.

What thoughtful answer are you looking for? You don't seem to be trying very hard to make a valid point. First you say Mueller must have contacted Steele or others who gave intelligence about Trump and Russia. What more of it? Was there more you wanted to discuss about that because I'm not sure we have enough information publicly available to say he did or didn't.

You then seem to imply that something illegal happened with the FISA warrant(s) that used the Steele dossier as a source. What specifically was illegal?

As to the other, not sure what "alleged" actions unrelated to the Russia-Trump investigation by the law firm have to do with this discussion. Why mention them?

Actually it goes like this: Fusion GPS was hired by the Free Beacon to dig up dirt on Trump during the primaries. Steele was not involved at this time. It was not until Fusion GPS was hired by Perkins-Coie that Steele was brought on. Not sure who initiated the idea that there was a Trump-Russia connection, but it did not appear to part of the opposition research for the Free Beacon.

Besides, Steele didn't have to fabricate anything. He just paid the people who did, many of whom appear to be Russian agents or ex-agents for the various organs of Russian intelligence. They are people Steele would know.

The beauty is that his prior work with MI6 would then enable the FBI to use him as a reliable source for FISA warrants.
Sure does present many opportunities to advance an agenda among folks who were so inclined.

Last edited:

Sorry, but NPR's head line ia just wrong. For starters Fusion GPS didn't "produce" the dossier, Christopher Steele did after being hired by Fusion GPS. The Washington Free Beacon hired Fusion for opo research and stopped funding when Trump received enough votes to win the primary in the spring of 2016. Steele was hired by Fusion in June of 2016. The GOP or the Washington Free Beacon had nothing to do with the hiring of Steele or the dossier.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/politics/steele-timeline/?utm_term=.2ede7557d97c

Hillary---DNC---Fusion GPS---Steele---Russians

Mr Mueller?

What are you talking about?

Who was "spreading unverified garbage"? Steele's sources? Possibly. Steele himself? Don't recall reading any source that says Steele was spreading information from his dossier around. Time-line was basically this: Perkins-Coie hires Fusion GPS to dig up dirt on Trump. Not sure if they specified Russian dirt, but Fusion specifically hired Steele for that because of his extensive experience with Russian intelligence. When Steele reaches out to his sources, he is astonished by how much human intelligence on Trump existed in Russian circles. So he reaches out to the FBI because he thinks it is a big thing that the grooming of Trump seems to be a well-known thing in Russia. The FBI toys around with him for awhile, then the NY Times comes out with a piece stating that US intelligence has found no connection between Trump and Russia. Steele thinks this is bull**** so he goes to Michael Isakoff of Yahoo News to discuss this. That appears to be the first instance of Steele "spreading unverified garbage", but there is no evidence he did so simply because he wanted Trump to lose the election. As someone with extensive experience (20 years) with Russia, he was concerned that a possible Russian asset could be president of the US. Last I looked, England is still our ally so someone who has worked extensively with US intelligence in the past might be a bit concerned about something of this nature.

I have never been one to say the Steele dossier was "verified" and "damning". It is nothing but recollections of raw human intelligence on Donald Trump and Russia. Nothing had been verified by Steele. He never claimed as much. But he thought that where there is all that smoke, there is a good potential for fire. That is why he went to the FBI so they could try to follow up and gather better intelligence.

For one thing, you're not supposed to use unverified material for FISA warrants.
For another, Steele allegedly told the FBI he never told the media. I say allegedly because you'd have to believe the FBI that when they learned that he was formally fired yet still communicated with them informally.
For yet another, the FBI also used that media outlet to corroborate Steele's tale for the FISA Court. Circular sources make for lousy corroboration.

And yes, Steele was “ 'passionate' about stopping Mr Trump winning, according to a newly released memo." That was not included in the FISA requests.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/02/donald-trump-approves-release-controversial-memo/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...se-power-read-document-released-donald-trump/

For one thing, you're not supposed to use unverified material for FISA warrants.

Wrong. Part of the reasoning behind obtaining a warrant is to try to establish the validity of gathered intelligence.

For another, Steele allegedly told the FBI he never told the media.

At the time of their negotiations, he hadn't.

I say allegedly because you'd have to believe the FBI that when they learned that he was formally fired yet still communicated with them informally.
For yet another, the FBI also used that media outlet to corroborate Steele's tale for the FISA Court. Circular sources make for lousy corroboration.

And yes, Steele was “ 'passionate' about stopping Mr Trump winning, according to a newly released memo." That was not included in the FISA requests.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/02/donald-trump-approves-release-controversial-memo/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...se-power-read-document-released-donald-trump/

Just gotta say it bluntly: if you have a bunch of raw human intelligence that pointed towards a candidate for president being a Russian asset, would you not want to stop that person from being president?

Sorry, but NPR's head line ia just wrong. For starters Fusion GPS didn't "produce" the dossier, Christopher Steele did after being hired by Fusion GPS. The Washington Free Beacon hired Fusion for opo research and stopped funding when Trump received enough votes to win the primary in the spring of 2016. Steele was hired by Fusion in June of 2016. The GOP or the Washington Free Beacon had nothing to do with the hiring of Steele or the dossier.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/politics/steele-timeline/?utm_term=.2ede7557d97c

Doesn't mean I'm wrong that both parties sought the firms expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong. Part of the reasoning behind obtaining a warrant is to try to establish the validity of gathered intelligence.

At the time of their negotiations, he hadn't.

Just gotta say it bluntly: if you have a bunch of raw human intelligence that pointed towards a candidate for president being a Russian asset, would you not want to stop that person from being president?

No. You are wrong. You're supposed to use only verified information in FISA warrant requests regardless of what you want to investigate.

Isikoff knew about the Steele dossier in September and the first FISA warrant was in October.

Back
Top Bottom