• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christopher Columbus

mikeey

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Christopher Columbus never was the first one to discover AMERICA it was

NIVEN SINCLAIR 100 years before him.

so rewrite your history books.

mikeey

NIVEN SINCLAIR he landed in North AMERICA in RHODE Island a 100

years before Christopher Columbus,so check up lads.

mikkey

mikeey said:
Christopher Columbus never was the first one to discover AMERICA it was

NIVEN SINCLAIR 100 years before him.

so rewrite your history books.

mikeey
I don't think neither "discovered" America, the "Native Americans" were there before either.

And anyways Leif Erikson landed somewhere, probably in Canada 500 yrs. before Columbus.

mikeey said:
NIVEN SINCLAIR he landed in North AMERICA in RHODE Island a 100

years before Christopher Columbus,so check up lads.

mikkey
Never say 'check up' unless you're sure about what you said. The explorer
Sir Henry Sinclair, sailed to Nova Scotia 100 years before Columbus came to this hemisphere. Niven Sinclair is his biographer.

Link: http://www3.sympatico.ca/robert.sewell/sinclair.html#legend

It all depends on your definition of "discovered". Technically, the nomadic tribes who crossed the Bering Strait via a land bridge of ice discovered it. The Viking explorer Leif Erikson landed in Greenland about 400 or so years before Columbus. Other expiditions were probably made, but none were widely reported because of the mentality of the time, etc.

Christopher Columbus was the first person to bring knowledge of the New World to Europe. Also, he never once set foot on either of the American continents (named mistakenly for Amerigo Vespucci), instead, he discovered numerous islands in the Carribean. He still made one helluva impact on history though!

Christopher Columbus was the first person to bring knowledge of the New World to Europe. Also, he never once set foot on either of the American continents (named mistakenly for Amerigo Vespucci), instead, he discovered numerous islands in the Caribbean. He still made one helluva impact on history though!
The Caribbean is part of the American Continent.

(Confirmed) Leif Ericson cross Atlantic to Newfoundland several times -- 1000 AD

(Likely) There is evidence that Egyptians and Romans have had contact with America -- Unknown

(Mostly Confirmed) Madagascar was settled by Austronesian and Indonesians -- before 1000 AD

(Possibility) Henry Sinclair and mixed crew of Highland Scots (Clan Sinclair & Clan Gunn) and Scottish Knights Templar might have voyaged from Scotland to North America -- 1398

(Possibility) João Vaz Corte-Real (Portuguese) might have visited Newfoundland --1472

(Possibility) Polynesians may have had contact with America -- Unknown

(Mostly Confirmed) Arabs probably use to trade with America all the time before Columbus

(Most Likely) Antonio Galvano discovers two bodies who appear to be "Indian" (the actual Indian) in the Atlantic (not the Pacific) it is most likely that they were sea fairing Native Americans, who went a drift of something similar to that --1153

Columbus is so important because he marks the beginning of European influence on America. The first influences were the conquering of the main Indian Civilizations, and the deaths of 90% of the Indians by disease and warfare started by the Spanish, but it's still important.

NGDAWG thats what our papers say.i dont know can u tell me a wee bit more on that.

regarsds mikeey.

Sir Henry Sinclair, sailed to Nova Scotia 100 years before Columbus came to this hemisphere. Niven Sinclair is his biographer.

It is possible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian_trans-oceanic_contact said:
Farley Mowat in his book The Farfarers postulates that there was trans-Atlantic exploration and migration of the Albans who were a Celtic people from the British Isles. Under pressure from the Vikings invasions, they migrated to Iceland and Greenland before settling in Ungava and Newfoundland. Once there they inter-married with the native populations and were assimilated. He claims there is physical and documentary evidence of these voyages.

mikeey said:
NGDAWG thats what our papers say.i dont know can u tell me a wee bit more on that.

regarsds mikeey.

Well, that's why I put that link up :mrgreen:
And you can Google Sir Henry Sinclair as well

there is also evidence that the Chinese sailed to America 80-100 years before Columbus.

Nez Dragon said:
It all depends on your definition of "discovered". Technically, the nomadic tribes who crossed the Bering Strait via a land bridge of ice discovered it. The Viking explorer Leif Erikson landed in Greenland about 400 or so years before Columbus. Other expiditions were probably made, but none were widely reported because of the mentality of the time, etc.

Erik the Rad was supposedly the first in Greenland, there may have already been natives.

Leif Erikson supposedly sailed from Greenland to Canada, probably newfoundland about 500 yrs. before Columbus.

Indians? I am certainly glad Columbus wasn't my cab driver...or airline pilot.

"Hi folks this is your capitan Cris Columbus. In a few minutes we'll be landing in Buenos Aires or New York. Whatever... and thanks for flying with us today or this evening... whatever."

there is also evidence that the Chinese sailed to America 80-100 years before Columbus.
It was proven possible, but there is little other evidence.

-Demosthenes- said:
It was proven possible, but there is little other evidence.

There are chinese maps pre-dating columbus that have America drawn in.

L'Anse aux Meadows, on the northern tip of Newfoundland, is the only authenticated Viking site in North America. It was established 1000 years ago by the explorer Leif Eiriksson during his adventures in eastern North America - 500 years before Columbus' exploits in the "New World". The site was rediscovered by Helge Ingstad and his wife Anne Stine in 1960. L'Anse aux Meadows is now a National Historic Park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the first cultural site in the world to receive this designation - a symbol of its outstanding cultural and historical value.

There are chinese maps pre-dating columbus that have America drawn in.
I would be extemely interested in seeing some sources for this. (I've heard of it, but could never find any actual evidence)

L'Anse aux Meadows, on the northern tip of Newfoundland, is the only authenticated Viking site in North America. It was established 1000 years ago by the explorer Leif Eiriksson during his adventures in eastern North America - 500 years before Columbus' exploits in the "New World".
Yep, just in cased you missed it the last 4 times.... :D

-Demosthenes- said:
I would be extemely interested in seeing some sources for this. (I've heard of it, but could never find any actual evidence)

I don't have the book I read it in any more. But I did find this site www.1421.tv.

If I remember rightly, the maps which Columbus returned with (ie: he drew) included parts of S America that he never visited, so there is a question over how he knew about them.

Having re-read my original post, I should have said that there is evidence to suggest these maps, not that it was a certainty.

-Demosthenes- said:
Yep, just in cased you missed it the last 4 times.... :D

Newfoundland was mentioned exactly once in a previous post.

Do you really read here or just like to shoot of your stupid comments without checking?

I don't have the book I read it in any more. But I did find this site www.1421.tv.

If I remember rightly, the maps which Columbus returned with (ie: he drew) included parts of S America that he never visited, so there is a question over how he knew about them.

Having re-read my original post, I should have said that there is evidence to suggest these maps, not that it was a certainty.
That is very interesting, I have read that it has been proven possible to take the ships that they had across the Pasific, but I'm going to have to find to some more stuff about it now :D

Old and Wise said:
Newfoundland was mentioned exactly once in a previous post.

Do you really read here or just like to shoot of your stupid comments without checking?

Four times (not counting your's) that Leif Erikson was mentioned, I think I deserve right to complain about it, it's only been mentioned every fourth post (on average). :spin:

Even if you just count "Newfoundland" it's third the post to contain the word, in the exact same context. Three in such a short thread is a tad excessive eh?

Comrade Brian said:
And anyways Leif Erikson landed somewhere, probably in Canada 500 yrs. before Columbus.

Nez Dragon said:
The Viking explorer Leif Erikson landed in Greenland about 400 or so years before Columbus.

-Demosthenes- said:
(Confirmed) Leif Ericson cross Atlantic to Newfoundland several times -- 1000 AD

Comrade Brian said:
Erik the Rad was supposedly the first in Greenland, there may have already been natives.

Leif Erikson supposedly sailed from Greenland to Canada, probably newfoundland about 500 yrs. before Columbus.

Back
Top Bottom