• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Christie The Hypocrite

yankintx

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Chris Christie has quite the habit of hypocrisy. His most well known slap down is his own NJ voters. He has consistently road blocked implementation of the 2010 marijuana initiative passed by the citizens of NJ. Christie has no issues thinking he knows better than the voters that put him there. He does not respect States rights (a GOP talking point) and has called medical marijuana patients diseased. If the NJ voters have any common sense they will throw him out next election cycle. Beware America and the GOP, this guy respects only one thing, the all encompassing power of the Federal Government. Vote for donut boy at your own peril.

I am a retired Air Force Vet with PTSD. It is politicians like Christie who continue to ignore the mounting evidence of the drugs ability to help Vets with PTSD. But according to Governor Christie I am diseased. Since when our the politicians doctors and feel the need to tell the rest of us what is an acceptable medication for my condition, which by the way was acquired fighting for his right to say what he does. This man is an embarrassment to the GOP and don't give a squat about Vets suffering.

Chris Christie Calls Marijuana Users “Diseased,� Pledges to Cure Them With Law Enforcement

Last edited:
A couple of years ago Christie was suppose to be the anti-establishment, tell it like it is, he's not going to take any crap from anyone GOP prez candidate. But once he started running for prez he bent over for the far right base of the GOP, and fell right in line with the right on most issues, just like the other GOP candidates, except Trump. Trump comes along and becomes the anti-establishment, tell it like it is, he's not going to take any crap from anyone candidate and he's leading in the polls while Christie poll numbers are minuscule.

Christie should have stayed the course, should have just been himself. I don't know who told him to fall in line with the rest of the pack, but whoever did gave him some very bad advice. I'm not saying if he kept his old style, and his go it alone attitude he'd be the GOP nod. But at least he'd be on the RADAR.

A couple of years ago Christie was suppose to be the anti-establishment, tell it like it is, he's not going to take any crap from anyone GOP prez candidate. But once he started running for prez he bent over for the far right base of the GOP, and fell right in line with the right on most issues, just like the other GOP candidates, except Trump. Trump comes along and becomes the anti-establishment, tell it like it is, he's not going to take any crap from anyone candidate and he's leading in the polls while Christie poll numbers are minuscule.

Christie should have stayed the course, should have just been himself. I don't know who told him to fall in line with the rest of the pack, but whoever did gave him some very bad advice. I'm not saying if he kept his old style, and his go it alone attitude he'd be the GOP nod. But at least he'd be on the RADAR.

Trump wont leave Vets suffering from PTSD, in fact nor will most of the candidates. Except Governor Christie, he has no problems defying his own constituents on this issue. This election its ABC=Anybody But Christie

Trump wont leave Vets suffering from PTSD, in fact nor will most of the candidates. Except Governor Christie, he has no problems defying his own constituents on this issue. This election its ABC=Anybody But Christie

None of the other GOP social conservatives candidates like Cruz or Fiorina or Carson, etc will legalize pot. Hell most are against medical marijuana. On the GOP side Rand Paul is your best hope. Probably Trump too.

You're kidding yourself if you think any of the other GOP social conservatives candidates like Cruz or Fiorina or Carson, etc will legalize pot. Hell most are against medical marijuana. On the GOP side Rand Paul is your best hope. Probably Trump too.
I realize the positions of the other GOP candidates, but Christie stands out due to his defiance on the issue with his own voters. There have been two bills presented in Congress allowing the VA to prescribe medical marijuana in those States were it is legal. They don't even make it out of committee, we all know who is in charge of Congress, and I will vote accordingly. I have been fighting this cause for quite a long time, A Christie presidency would take us back to Bush 2 and the arresting of marijuana patients and busting dispensaries. I am still waiting for a compassionate conservative (does that exist) to have the gonads to speak the truth on this issue.

For this issue of legalization of certain drugs, there is no real chance of this happening so long as Republicans control Congress. And it appears that the make up of the next 115th Congress will not be all that far removed from the present 114th Congress, give or take a couple of chairs between both chambers. Even if the unlikely does happen and the Senate flips back to Democrat controlled, there is no real way for Democrats to take the House back. Leaving us with a split Congress, and acting much like the 112th Congress.

Means the issue of the next President is secondary to that cause. To be real honest, outside of Trump or Paul winning there equally is no real chance of this being an issue any other Republican hopeful would propose.

If there is any good news for the OP it would be that Christie has very little chance of ever being President. Just this attempt on his part has never yielded double digit support going back to his announcement. Best he has done is 4.8% around the turn of the year, but in recent polling averages suggest his campaign is on the decline again.

I just do not see Christie being a factor in the 2016 election...

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination

For this issue of legalization of certain drugs, there is no real chance of this happening so long as Republicans control Congress. And it appears that the make up of the next 115th Congress will not be all that far removed from the present 114th Congress, give or take a couple of chairs between both chambers. Even if the unlikely does happen and the Senate flips back to Democrat controlled, there is no real way for Democrats to take the House back. Leaving us with a split Congress, and acting much like the 112th Congress.

Means the issue of the next President is secondary to that cause. To be real honest, outside of Trump or Paul winning there equally is no real chance of this being an issue any other Republican hopeful would propose.

If there is any good news for the OP it would be that Christie has very little chance of ever being President. Just this attempt on his part has never yielded double digit support going back to his announcement. Best he has done is 4.8% around the turn of the year, but in recent polling averages suggest his campaign is on the decline again.

I will not be voting for a Republican (that may change) as there history with this issue is abysmal. The question is can Sanders or Clinton as Prez have it moved to schedule 2 with an EO. I have not been able to get a clear answer on the subject, according to the FDA's own site this can be done by Congress, or the Attorney General. Clinton has promised she will move cannabis to schedule 2, do I trust her, hmm.

Can you post a link to Christie calling them "diseased"? I can't find it anywhere. Where did he say it? When? What was the full sentence? Can we get the video?

I will not be voting for a Republican (that may change) as there history with this issue is abysmal. The question is can Sanders or Clinton as Prez have it moved to schedule 2 with an EO. I have not been able to get a clear answer on the subject, according to the FDA's own site this can be done by Congress, or the Attorney General. Clinton has promised she will move cannabis to schedule 2, do I trust her, hmm.

Again, from my chair no President on their own will be able to move this issue.

Because we have existing legislation to contend with on how drugs are regulated (legal or not,) it will take acts in Congress to undo that. An Executive Order alone will not be enough to move a drug from the status of illegal to some FDA classification. I will stipulate that the Controlled Substances Act does give power to the Attorney General to classify (or remove from classification) particular drugs as substances "sufficiently dangerous." But understand that is a step, one that does not nullify on its own other acts of legislation. The problem is that same act controls the mechanisms (mainly factors) for the Attorney General to determine control or removal from the various schedules, and buried deep within all that text is consultation with the Secretary of Health and Human Services.

I just to do not see it as simple as any President signing an EO to move an illegal drug to a particular schedule, no matter what Hillary says at the stump.

However, if this topic is one that really moves you the most then I would look into what Sanders is saying about this subject. His intentions are clear, and to be honest more practical in steps needed to be taken than what Hillary is telling you in an oversimplified manner.

Drug Policy – FeelTheBern.org

To be fair, this does not seem to be a Republican issue. The Democrats were in a position to repeal the pot laws and AFAIK did not bring up even one piece of legislation. Instead they tool the wussie position of simply allowing the states to ignore the laws. I doubt the R's will do anything different.

I have no position on the issue. But either you have laws or you don't. If you do, they should be enforced.

I stopped following Christie after "Bridgegate". This incident proved that either a) he was very petty or b) he was incompetent and didn't know what his own staff was up to.
I had high hopes after hurricane Sandy when the media was trying to get him to bad mouth the President and he wouldn't take the bait, saying that even if Obama wasn't his president he was the man coming to help. I liked that he was willing to set aside partisan bullsh!t in a time of need. But then...
Legalized Marijuana is not as important to me as the economy, my number one concern, nor do I always think that the people should get what they want (otherwise how would we protect minority issues?) so if this was Christie's soul strike against him then he would still seem a bit more palatable than either Trump or Clinton. Unfortunately a) it isn't his only strike and b) he doesn't have a chance of winning so it is all kind of moot.

Can you post a link to Christie calling them "diseased"? I can't find it anywhere. Where did he say it? When? What was the full sentence? Can we get the video?

Sure

here ya go

Unsure if there is actually a video of it coming out of his mouth, but its been repeated on several different news sources

I believe it occurred last summer 2015

Specifically he said that marijuana users belong in rehab as they have an addiction

Well if that's true so can donuts or any other substance be addictive, but if Governor Christie would like to consume an entire dozen glazed donuts I certainly would not stand in his way. Its his right.

This just shows his total lack of either education or understanding on the issue.

Chris Christie: Federal Government Only Incarcerates, Doesn't Treat Drug Addicts - Breitbart

Last edited:
Sure

here ya go

Unsure if there is actually a video of it coming out of his mouth, but its been repeated on several different news sources

I believe it occurred last summer 2015

Chris Christie: Federal Government Only Incarcerates, Doesn't Treat Drug Addicts - Breitbart

Thanks for the link.

Okay, I don't like Christie, but that actually didn't offend me (and my husband and I are prolific users of marijuana). Diseased is usually used as an ugly pejorative. "The guy is diseased." It wasn't quite a pejorative the way he said it about those in jail. JMO.

I disagree that using marijuana is indicative of a "disease". But I disagree with him a lot anyway. By the way, I think he's changed his tune a bit on drugs. He's recently told that story of his law school (I think) friend who was an addict.

To be fair, this does not seem to be a Republican issue. The Democrats were in a position to repeal the pot laws and AFAIK did not bring up even one piece of legislation. Instead they tool the wussie position of simply allowing the states to ignore the laws. I doubt the R's will do anything different.

I have no position on the issue. But either you have laws or you don't. If you do, they should be enforced.

Yes and no, it has increasingly become an issue even if Obama and Democrats did not take real advantage during the 111th Congress being in their favor. At the time there was so much else going on that Drug Legalization was not a priority. After the 112th Congress saw Republicans take the House, any consideration for that effort was lost. In some respects it still is not the highest item on the political to-do list today, but it has some traction now at least to the point of forcing various candidates with a (D) behind their name to talk about it.

Given the social pulse of the nation on this topic, I suspect it will come up more often going forward given the below trend (even with the polling faults) ...

drug(1).jpg

I stopped following Christie after "Bridgegate". This incident proved that either a) he was very petty or b) he was incompetent and didn't know what his own staff was up to.
I had high hopes after hurricane Sandy when the media was trying to get him to bad mouth the President and he wouldn't take the bait, saying that even if Obama wasn't his president he was the man coming to help. I liked that he was willing to set aside partisan bullsh!t in a time of need. But then...
Legalized Marijuana is not as important to me as the economy, my number one concern, nor do I always think that the people should get what they want (otherwise how would we protect minority issues?) so if this was Christie's soul strike against him then he would still seem a bit more palatable than either Trump or Clinton. Unfortunately a) it isn't his only strike and b) he doesn't have a chance of winning so it is all kind of moot.

I can certainly understand your thoughts on the issue. What bothers me most is his defiance of an approved ballot initiative which was legally passed by the voters of his State. He believes his personal views on the subject over ride a decision from the voters.

Thanks for the link.

Okay, I don't like Christie, but that actually didn't offend me (and my husband and I are prolific users of marijuana). Diseased is usually used as an ugly pejorative. "The guy is diseased." It wasn't quite a pejorative the way he said it about those in jail. JMO.

I disagree that using marijuana is indicative of a "disease". But I disagree with him a lot anyway. By the way, I think he's changed his tune a bit on drugs. He's recently told that story of his law school (I think) friend who was an addict.

Cool thanks

I am a disabled Vet, injured in the line of fire in Iraqi

I have PTSD, its not a disease, a condition I did not have before my second tour in Iraqi

All us Vets want is to have legal permission to use the drug for our condition We are not asking for free stuff or something that we are not entitled to

I belong to a PTSD support group here in San Antonio, the majority of us prefer to use marijuana to manage our condition

Why do Veterans who served there country in the field of battle have to go to a drug dealer to acquire the medication that works best for there condition?

This country is letting its Vets down, many with traumatic PTSD its a shame

Chris Christie Net Worth = ~$4.0 million

Donald Trump Net Worth = ~$4.0 billion

President Obama spent about $750 million during his 2012 campaign and most analysts expect the winning candidate in 2016 will exceed $1.0 billion in campaign spending.

If you need to go to the establishment with your hand out then you're going to need to give the establishment what they want in return.

Chris Christie Net Worth = ~$4.0 million

Donald Trump Net Worth = ~$4.0 billion

President Obama spent about $750 million during his 2012 campaign and most analysts expect the winning candidate in 2016 will exceed $1.0 billion in campaign spending.

If you need to go to the establishment with your hand out then you're going to need to give the establishment what they want in return.

Because of all the free publicly Trump has hardly spent a dime. And money would roll in from the anti-establishment people in the GOP. Not as much as from the establishment part of the GOP, but enough considering all the free publicity he'd be getting.

Again I'm not saying he'd win, or even do as well has Trump is by running an anti-establishment campaign. Trump's a better showman. BUT if Christie stayed with his no nonsense, independent, don't take any crap from anyone persona, instead of bending over for the TP and the establishment GOP, IMO he'd be in better shape than he is now.

Chris Christie has quite the habit of hypocrisy. His most well known slap down is his own NJ voters. He has consistently road blocked implementation of the 2010 marijuana initiative passed by the citizens of NJ. Christie has no issues thinking he knows better than the voters that put him there. He does not respect States rights (a GOP talking point) and has called medical marijuana patients diseased. If the NJ voters have any common sense they will throw him out next election cycle. Beware America and the GOP, this guy respects only one thing, the all encompassing power of the Federal Government. Vote for donut boy at your own peril.

I am a retired Air Force Vet with PTSD. It is politicians like Christie who continue to ignore the mounting evidence of the drugs ability to help Vets with PTSD. But according to Governor Christie I am diseased. Since when our the politicians doctors and feel the need to tell the rest of us what is an acceptable medication for my condition, which by the way was acquired fighting for his right to say what he does. This man is an embarrassment to the GOP and don't give a squat about Vets suffering.

Chris Christie Calls Marijuana Users “Diseased,” Pledges to Cure Them With Law Enforcement

Not liking marijuana is hypocritical? It is just an opinion. If you don't like that, then don't vote for him.

Not liking marijuana is hypocritical? It is just an opinion. If you don't like that, then don't vote for him.

You missed the point of my original post, the man defies an approved ballot initiative from the NJ voters but claims to support States rights

Everyone else seemed to pick it up

Last edited:

Because we have existing legislation to contend with on how drugs are regulated (legal or not,) it will take acts in Congress to undo that. An Executive Order alone will not be enough to move a drug from the status of illegal to some FDA classification. I will stipulate that the Controlled Substances Act does give power to the Attorney General to classify (or remove from classification) particular drugs as substances "sufficiently dangerous." But understand that is a step, one that does not nullify on its own other acts of legislation. The problem is that same act controls the mechanisms (mainly factors) for the Attorney General to determine control or removal from the various schedules, and buried deep within all that text is consultation with the Secretary of Health and Human Services.

I just to do not see it as simple as any President signing an EO to move an illegal drug to a particular schedule, no matter what Hillary says at the stump.

However, if this topic is one that really moves you the most then I would look into what Sanders is saying about this subject. His intentions are clear, and to be honest more practical in steps needed to be taken than what Hillary is telling you in an oversimplified manner.

When CA legalizes in November, the dominoes will fall

None of the other GOP social conservatives candidates like Cruz or Fiorina or Carson, etc will legalize pot. Hell most are against medical marijuana. On the GOP side Rand Paul is your best hope. Probably Trump too.

On the democratic side, Hillary Clinton has been lukewarm concerning marijuana legalization. Only Bernie Sanders has publically declared he would not be against legalization, if I remember correctly.

The wording in the controlled substance act is confusing on who has the authority to correct an error made back in 1970 The commission of experts which presented the report to Nixon specifically recommended that cannabis not be put on schedule one until more was known about the plant. Richard Nixon chose to ignore a commission of experts and placed cannabis in the top tier of prohibited drugs. Another case of a politician believing he knows best. The plant has no business on schedule 1 as it does not fit the criteria for that category of banned substances. Therefore we are now having to correct that error.

I am somewhat educated on the subject that's how I found out the truth behind the entire sham

On the democratic side, Hillary Clinton has been lukewarm concerning marijuana legalization. Only Bernie Sanders has publically declared he would not be against legalization, if I remember correctly.

Good memory lol

If I am correct she has evolved her opinion on the matter. Her stance in the campaign is to place the drug on schedule 2 and the DEA lays off the States that have decided to allow

Im not sure what Sanders view is on rescheduling the plant, anyone ?

Yep, but the difference is even though Clinton has been lukewarm to legalization, I doubt very much if she'd stand in the way of states legalizing it on their own. Where as on the GOP side, in spite of all of them preaching on and on about 'State rights', all but Paul and Trump would probably get the Fed involved to keep the States from legalizing it.

Back
Top Bottom