• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Christie & Gingrich on VEEP List

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
It's been confirmed by the Trump campaign that these two are still on the VEEP list and the VEEP pick will probably, have to be, one of these two. Frankly these are terrible choices for Trump, but then again, these are the only somewhat sane group of people who want to actually work with him. Everyone else ran for the hills! These people do not help him win a state that he needs to or can win. He virtually has no chance to win NJ, and Gingrich won't help him win a state. Christie has been a disaster of a spokesperson for Trump and I am embarrassed that he is my governor now. Not even Trump supporters like him.

Gingrich I like, but his shameless Trump cheer leading is absolutely horrendous. You hear him all day every day on Talk radio shouting about how great Trump is. I've lost a lot of respect for these two gentlemen over the past year. And I would have considered voting for either of them for President, Just didn't know that they were this easily bought off.

Gingrich would be perfect.

Wasn't there a post mortem for the Republicans last election? Did it say anything about double down on obnoxious old white men or something?

It's been confirmed by the Trump campaign that these two are still on the VEEP list and the VEEP pick will probably, have to be, one of these two. Frankly these are terrible choices for Trump, but then again, these are the only somewhat sane group of people who want to actually work with him. Everyone else ran for the hills! These people do not help him win a state that he needs to or can win. He virtually has no chance to win NJ, and Gingrich won't help him win a state. Christie has been a disaster of a spokesperson for Trump and I am embarrassed that he is my governor now. Not even Trump supporters like him.

Gingrich I like, but his shameless Trump cheer leading is absolutely horrendous. You hear him all day every day on Talk radio shouting about how great Trump is. I've lost a lot of respect for these two gentlemen over the past year. And I would have considered voting for either of them for President, Just didn't know that they were this easily bought off.

Trump has made enemies of a lot of those who could help him as VP. Kasich could deliver Ohio to Trump, but he is establishment and Kasich has said, no way. Rubio would help Trump in Florida, again little Marco has said no. Instead Little Marco is now re-entering the senate race for his seat. Susanna Martinez, Republican governor of New Mexico also gave Trump a hard no. There really isn’t anyone from a swing state that could help him any of those swing states or with Hispanics. Trump will be lucky if he gathers 15% of the Hispanic vote, Romney did very poorly among Hispanics, but he did get 27% of their vote.

With the perception among GOP leaders and elected officials that Trump will lose big in November, very few want to be tied to him. They have chosen for the most part to concentrate on retaining the senate and the house. Sort of giving the presidential race a pass. Many past mega GOP donors also are giving the presidential race a pass. This is what happens when one wins the nomination of a party attacking the party leaders and donors.

So who is there besides Christie and Gingrich? Gingrich would make an excellent VP, but he has as much baggage as Hillary does. I like Newt, he was my congressman for 10 or so plus years. I think he would be even better as president. Trump could always go with Senator Sessions of Alabama, but again Sessions doesn’t help him. Too bad Trump didn’t follow Reagan’s 11th commandment, he would have this problem. But then again, Trump was a Democrat during Reagan and probably never hear of it.

Trump has made enemies of a lot of those who could help him as VP. Kasich could deliver Ohio to Trump, but he is establishment and Kasich has said, no way. Rubio would help Trump in Florida, again little Marco has said no. Instead Little Marco is now re-entering the senate race for his seat. Susanna Martinez, Republican governor of New Mexico also gave Trump a hard no. There really isn’t anyone from a swing state that could help him any of those swing states or with Hispanics. Trump will be lucky if he gathers 15% of the Hispanic vote, Romney did very poorly among Hispanics, but he did get 27% of their vote.

With the perception among GOP leaders and elected officials that Trump will lose big in November, very few want to be tied to him. They have chosen for the most part to concentrate on retaining the senate and the house. Sort of giving the presidential race a pass. Many past mega GOP donors also are giving the presidential race a pass. This is what happens when one wins the nomination of a party attacking the party leaders and donors.

So who is there besides Christie and Gingrich? Gingrich would make an excellent VP, but he has as much baggage as Hillary does. I like Newt, he was my congressman for 10 or so plus years. I think he would be even better as president. Trump could always go with Senator Sessions of Alabama, but again Sessions doesn’t help him. Too bad Trump didn’t follow Reagan’s 11th commandment, he would have this problem. But then again, Trump was a Democrat during Reagan and probably never hear of it.

Given how trump is acting, I think he might make one of his children vp.

Given how trump is acting, I think he might make one of his children vp.

If he does then you know for fact certain that he does not want the gig.

Which is normally a critical fault, if you know what I mean.

Seriously.

Greetings, Pero. :2wave:

Excellent post! :thumbs:

Off topic, but it looks like the DNC is getting hit by lawsuits because of the way Hillary was "pre-ordained" as their candidate! :eek: From what I've read, millions of Sanders' voters are joining in. If this wasn't real, it could be a Saturday Night Live comedy skit, and everyone would be laughing their heads off!! This election season has been something to tell your great-great-grandkids about one day, but they'd probably think you were just teasing them! :lamo Maybe Obama won't leave after all, which wouldn't surprise me either.... It's been that kind of a year!

Greetings, Pero. :2wave:

Excellent post! :thumbs:

Off topic, but it looks like the DNC is getting hit by lawsuits because of the way Hillary was "pre-ordained" as their candidate! :eek: From what I've read, millions of Sanders' voters are joining in. If this wasn't real, it could be a Saturday Night Live comedy skit, and everyone would be laughing their heads off!! This election season has been something to tell your great-great-grandkids about one day, but they'd probably think you were just teasing them! :lamo Maybe Obama won't leave after all, which wouldn't surprise me either.... It's been that kind of a year!

Morning Pol, believe me when I say Hillary's nomination was assured just before the 2012 election in a meeting between Obama and the Clinton's. So assured that she had already racked up 20 super delegates before the year turned to 2013, 300 before New Years day of 2015. Warren was pressured out of running by the DNC, who knows about Biden. The DNC thought Sanders would be a cake walk. They wanted to avoid the appearance of Hillary being the anointed one or the chosen one way back in 2012. So they let him run.

There was never any doubt that Hillary would be their nominee, none whatsoever for those politically astute. Strange how the media for the most part ignored all those 500 super delegates when reporting on the horse race making it seem Sanders had a chance when in fact he had zero, zilch, nadda, none.

As for VP, Trump is in deep trouble. He has no infrastructure of his own and has now to rely on the same people here pillared during the nomination process. Many have told him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. As one Republican county chairman down here told me, he will be working to get Isakson re-elected and if Trump wants a ground game in his county, let him send in his own people.

Here on some of Trump's problems

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-super-pacs-finding-it-hard-to-collect-on-pledges-224542129.html

Here on your DNC

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-super-pacs-finding-it-hard-to-collect-on-pledges-224542129.html

If Trump does not do better than one of these two I will be disappointed, but of these two it has to be Christie. Newt is too long gone, and he never did have the work ethic to be president so he is disqualified.

Wasn't there a post mortem for the Republicans last election? Did it say anything about double down on obnoxious old white men or something?

Yes, had the Republicans just listened to themselves four years ago, there would be no Donald Trump as candidate..... but, they probably would to have gotten something done in Congress, such as some form of immigration reform....and then they might have had a chance in 2012. But, this is another year where the Democrats are running unopposed.

GOP.com: Growth and Opportunity Project

"....The GOP today is a tale of two parties. One of them, the gubernatorial wing, is growing and
successful. The other, the federal wing, is increasingly marginalizing itself, and unless changes
are made, it will be increasingly difficult for Republicans to win another presidential election
in the near future.

Republicans have lost the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections. States
in which our presidential candidates used to win, such as New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada,
Iowa, Ohio, New Hampshire, Virginia, and Florida, are increasingly voting Democratic.
We are losing in too many places....."

"....If Hispanic Americans perceive that a GOP nominee or candidate does not want them in the United
States (i.e. self-deportation), they will not pay attention to our next sentence. It does not matter what
we say about education, jobs or the economy; if Hispanics think we do not want them here, they
will close their ears to our policies. In the last election, Governor Romney received just 27 percent
of the Hispanic vote. Other minority communities, including Asian and Pacific Islander Americans,
also view the Party as unwelcoming. President Bush got 44 percent of the Asian vote in 2004; our
presidential nominee received only 26 percent in 2012.

As one conservative, Tea-Party leader, Dick Armey, told us, “You can’t call someone ugly and expect
them to go to the prom with you. We’ve chased the Hispanic voter out of his natural home.”

We are not a policy committee, but among the steps Republicans take in the Hispanic community
and beyond, we must embrace and champion comprehensive immigration reform. If we do not,
our Party’s appeal will continue to shrink to its core constituencies only. We also believe that
comprehensive immigration reform is consistent with Republican economic policies that promote
job growth and opportunity for all....."

Its a party of angry white men... unfortunately for America, their are too many of them. Unfortunately for Republicans there are not enough of them. It is fitting, however, to run angry white men as POTUS and VPOTUS 'hopefuls" if that is who you chose to appeal to.

Last edited:
comprehensive immigration reform is just another word for amnesty for people that broke the law on purpose.
If I break the law I go to jail. If I go before a judge and say they break the law and they get to stay in the country
why does the law apply to me and not them. he will say that has nothing to do with you.

The fact is trump came and basically burned the house down to get to the vault in the Living room.
Chris would be a better choice than Newt at this point.

comprehensive immigration reform is just another word for amnesty for people that broke the law on purpose.
If I break the law I go to jail. If I go before a judge and say they break the law and they get to stay in the country
why does the law apply to me and not them. he will say that has nothing to do with you.

The fact is trump came and basically burned the house down to get to the vault in the Living room.
Chris would be a better choice than Newt at this point.

Yes, continue to embrace that attitude and continue to enjoy the White House only as invited guests or on the public tour.

....and it will continue...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/28/opinion/republican-self-destruction.html

You might like to actually read what your party said about itself, as you are not arguing with me, you are arguing with the GOP.

GOP.com: Growth and Opportunity Project

Last edited:
Yes, continue to embrace that attitude and continue to enjoy the White House only as invited guests or on the public tour.

this makes no sense but I will leave it to whatever you are talking about.

the fact is that trump is the republican nominee he is way better that Clinton at this point.
I am looking into Johnson this year and he gets a fair shake and gets on the debate stage
he could actually change this race up a bit.

Morning Pol, believe me when I say Hillary's nomination was assured just before the 2012 election in a meeting between Obama and the Clinton's. So assured that she had already racked up 20 super delegates before the year turned to 2013, 300 before New Years day of 2015. Warren was pressured out of running by the DNC, who knows about Biden. The DNC thought Sanders would be a cake walk. They wanted to avoid the appearance of Hillary being the anointed one or the chosen one way back in 2012. So they let him run.

There was never any doubt that Hillary would be their nominee, none whatsoever for those politically astute. Strange how the media for the most part ignored all those 500 super delegates when reporting on the horse race making it seem Sanders had a chance when in fact he had zero, zilch, nadda, none.

As for VP, Trump is in deep trouble. He has no infrastructure of his own and has now to rely on the same people here pillared during the nomination process. Many have told him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. As one Republican county chairman down here told me, he will be working to get Isakson re-elected and if Trump wants a ground game in his county, let him send in his own people.

Here on some of Trump's problems

Here on your DNC

Pero, so much damage has been done to our country's psyche lately that I seriously doubt if it can be easily corrected, if at all. Trust in our elected leaders to do their best for We the People has all but disappeared, and been replaced by worry and apprehension about what the future holds for us, which has morphed into anger and disgust at the entire political system - and we are seeing the results. Corruption, lies, delays, obfuscation, and coverups have become the "soup de jour" and we're just expected to accept "Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall" as normal? What has happened that this is where we currently are, and both parties are to blame for allowing it to continue! :2mad:

Pero, so much damage has been done to our country's psyche lately that I seriously doubt if it can be easily corrected, if at all. Trust in our elected leaders to do their best for We the People has all but disappeared, and been replaced by worry and apprehension about what the future holds for us, which has morphed into anger and disgust at the entire political system - and we are seeing the results. Corruption, lies, delays, obfuscation, and coverups have become the "soup de jour" and we're just expected to accept "Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall" as normal? What has happened that this is where we currently are, and both parties are to blame for allowing it to continue! :2mad:

Trust in government is close to an all time low. According to Gallup it is 19% trust our government, 81% do not.

Trust in Government | Gallup Historical Trends

Only June of 1994 was the trust in our government at a lower ebb, 17%. That explains the 63 seat pickup for the GOP in the house that year. Even on the day Nixon Resigned the public trust in their own government was at 36%.

Public Trust in Government: 1958-2014 | Pew Research Center

1974 was the last year public trust in their own government was above 50% until November of 2001 which it went to 54% and promptly fell below 50% in December. When Eisenhower and JFK were president public trust in their government was in the 70's. Trust dropped to 61% during LBJ's reign, down to 36% during Nixon's, down to 26% for Carter, rebounded into the 40's under Reagan, fell back to 29% under Bush the first, it ranged from 19% to 33% under Clinton the first, the man, the hubby, fell to 24% under Bush the second and is now at 19% under Obama.

People think our government is corrupt. In fact a Rasmussen poll show 81% of all Americans think our own government is corrupt. Matches exactly the 81% who don't trust our government from Gallup.

81% Think Federal Government is Corrupt - Rasmussen Reports™

Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall is normal. Our elected officials dole out all kind of favors to those who donate huge amounts of cash to them.

My own political fantasy league pick for Trump would be a respected democrat.

Oh, the horrors!

My own political fantasy league pick for Trump would be a respected democrat.

Oh, the horrors!

No self respecting democrat or republican would run with him.
But then politicans are politicans so......

This really is the first election I ever remember I just didn't care who wins. They are both horrible and I am just absolutely not voting.
Pick your poison.

Hillary or The Donald.

Post of the week, imo.

Trump is an egomaniac.

I highly doubt he will pick anyone whom he does not think he can TOTALLY control.

Now me? I think you should choose a person that would be the best POTUS if you died while in office.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom