• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christians, What do you think of this?

If anyone gets angry at that, it's more or less just a sign of weak faith. If that is all it takes to cause someone to get defensive, they are the ones with problems, not you. But I'm not a fair opinion. Atheist here, so not a Christian view.

If anyone gets angry at that, it's more or less just a sign of weak faith. If that is all it takes to cause someone to get defensive, they are the ones with problems, not you. But I'm not a fair opinion. Atheist here, so not a Christian view.

I think most people's faith is fragile and easily broken so they are extremely protective of it. a few weeks ago I mentioned how Jesus was probably not born in Bethlehem and how Matt and Luke clearly lied about his birth and it infuriated a couple people, not like I was lieing or anything. Everything I said was true.

For some it might be fragile but for others it's a slab of granite. . . with which they'll beat you over hte head if you don't go to church, like my family does every time we get together.

lol, ignorance sucks..I know what you mean, the kind of people who refuse to believe the Earth is older than 6,000 years. The crazy thing is this isn't just dumb people, it's plenty of smart people who are just dumb when it comes to faith.

the video seems to be largely inaccurate, selecting tidbits from the 100's of different myths that featured Horus.

I can't really hold it against people, though, when all they're trying to do is find a purpose in life and a reason to behave. Too bad God-beliefs are abused and misused.

But there are things I just never could put an answer to:
If God can multiply the loaves and fishes then why are his people dying of starvation?
If God taught early man all they need to know to survive then why didn't humans learn that boiling water made it safe to drink earlier than the late Middle Ages?

The truth is all religions are made up, it's just human nature. Which is why so many religions (modern day beliefs and ancient mythology) have so many similarities. Jesus wasn't the only divine to be born through parthenogenesis.

Instead of seeking out truth in a Bible people should seek out truth at The Encyclopedia Mythica.

That is certainly interesting information, however, my personal belief is not based on historicity, but on events that I have witnessed and been a part of, so this isn't really that convincing for me.

That is certainly interesting information, however, my personal belief is not based on historicity, but on events that I have witnessed and been a part of, so this isn't really that convincing for me.

understandable, as for the information being inaccurate I wouldn't know. They have there major differences from the look of it but at the same time they are eerily similar when it comes to some of the acts they performed and how they were born and died.

I wonder what the % is of people who have a personal-witness type testimonial story to why they believe as opposed to the % of people who believe only because "my parents raised me that way"

I wonder what the % is of people who have a personal-witness type testimonial story to why they believe as opposed to the % of people who believe only because "my parents raised me that way"

I have no idea. But then again, both my parents are strong atheists and that's how I was raised :shrug: Right now, due to my experiences, Christianity seems to be the most logical choice. However, the use of logic ahead of emotion and wishful thinking was drilled into my head as I was raised. It didn't quite turn out how my parents expected. :mrgreen:

If you want to know, I can probably shoot an email to the associate pastor at my church who has books of statistics on that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
But there are things I just never could put an answer to:
If God can multiply the loaves and fishes then why are his people dying of starvation?
If God taught early man all they need to know to survive then why didn't humans learn that boiling water made it safe to drink earlier than the late Middle Ages?

One of my favorite old adages is "God helps those who help themselves.";)

I was gonna put this on my facebook but I'm not sure I'd like to deal with the backlash and anger I'll receive.

If you don't want to deal with backlash and anger, then don't put it on your facebook. There's not much difference between the religious who like to fight, and those who intentionally provoke them. If you can't handle the conflict, then stay out of it.

I would consider this provoking but isn't this something most people should know when taking there religion in, that the story of Jesus isn't all that original and some men before him performed the same miracles he did.

I won't be posting this on FB even though I think everyone should know about this stuff.

I would consider this provoking but isn't this something most people should know when taking there religion in, that the story of Jesus isn't all that original and some men before him performed the same miracles he did.

Most people never have the opportunity to make their own decisions fully, because they were raised with whatever their parents believed (or not). That's one of the important (imo) benefits of teenage rebellion. Although we as parents become a little dismayed and worried about our adolescents when they rebel and start trying to find their own way, we worry that it will end in failure on the part of the child. Not only is rebellion against authority necessary (assuming one doesn't self-destruct in the process), it's a positive sign of curiosity and a willingness to grow emotionally and psychologically. When someone starts their own search for identity and truth, it's natural to feel a little militant about the new things we learn. We're still in a fight with our preconceived notions and those who taught us such things. This can eventually grow to acceptance of others as they are, with an understanding that we all are individuals with individual needs and tendencies, or it can result in our viewing others as stupid and ignorant and we adopt an attitude of superiority and wish to bestow all our newfound wisdom on the ignorant of the world. This is the same mindset that many religious zealots possess, and a pitfall of finding one's own path for those who fall into the trap that their truth is the only truth.
Religion is a practice that humans (for the most part) need. Religion exists in many forms, and none of them are provable, just as atheism itself is not. I try to just accept people for what they are, and not for what they believe.

The Horus story is not fleshed out, it is a combination of different myths from varying sources. The story of Jesus is composed in the Bible, and forshadowed in the old testament to an exact degree (Isaiah 54) I would also argue that the story of Jesus came first, since in Genesis it says: "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." Which is a prophecy about the "seed" (Jesus) of the woman (Israel).

Bill Mahler?

Yawn. :coffeepap:

I've seen propaganda like this before. It's an inaccurate account of history to try to paint Christianity as a copycat religion. I've seen things regarding Horus, Mithra, and Zoroaster. All of it can easily be debunked by looking at history. Much of this was started by the Zeitgeist movie, which was nothing but anti-Christian propaganda. Here is a site that debunks the lie of the Jesus/Horus myth Jesus & Horus Parallels - A Christian Response

I've seen propaganda like this before. It's an inaccurate account of history to try to paint Christianity as a copycat religion. I've seen things regarding Horus, Mithra, and Zoroaster. All of it can easily be debunked by looking at history. Much of this was started by the Zeitgeist movie, which was nothing but anti-Christian propaganda. Here is a site that debunks the lie of the Jesus/Horus myth Jesus & Horus Parallels - A Christian Response

After reading your link I'm slightly frustrated at the disingenuous argument that Jesus is some copycat Horus.

Arguments like this just reaffirm my belief that the Bibles description of the "lies" that will come concerning the "truth" are indeed happening. Its all hogwash, and I'm throwing my chips in with Jesus, so to speak. The mockery that is sure to follow is nothing compared to following the conclusions of your own personal logic.

I.E. thanks for the link

Last edited:
where are the references? There is NOTHING to back this up. Who gathered this information? Who made the video? Anyone could have made the video. One video by.... anyone.... to refute the best selling book in history.... a religion that has lasted 3000 years? I dont think so.

Hi everyone. :) I'd like to ask, since I don't know anything about Horus, although I did look at that video, if that is true, what was Horus's motivation? What did he act like? The Bible tells a complete story of a Father's love and of redemption. I have never in my life seen a charecter or read of a god in stories that was as completely and totally righteous in every way possible as the God of Israel and his Son Jesus. Since I've grown in my walk I've even been noticing even more than usual why all these other gods are not the True God. The simple fact is, they just aren't good enough to be my God.

Hi everyone. :) I'd like to ask, since I don't know anything about Horus, although I did look at that video, if that is true, what was Horus's motivation? What did he act like? The Bible tells a complete story of a Father's love and of redemption. I have never in my life seen a charecter or read of a god in stories that was as completely and totally righteous in every way possible as the God of Israel and his Son Jesus. Since I've grown in my walk I've even been noticing even more than usual why all these other gods are not the True God. The simple fact is, they just aren't good enough to be my God.

God isn't so riughteous though, Jesus from what we know of him seems like a great dude to model yourself after but God not so much...

Back
Top Bottom