• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Christians only: Should I order this Bible?

Patriotic Voter

Smarter than trolls
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I found a Bible that AFAIK has almost everything I want except the Hebrew calendar.

Features:
  • Enhanced, updated, and with new content added throughout
  • Full text of the accurate, readable, and clear New International Version (NIV)
  • Over 10,000 Life Application notes and other features
  • Over 100 personality profiles
  • Introductions and overviews for each book of the Bible
  • In-text maps, charts, and diagrams
  • Dictionary/concordance
  • More than 500 maps and charts placed for quick reference
  • Extensive side-column cross-reference system to facilitate deeper study
  • Subject index to notes, charts, maps, and profiles
  • Words of Jesus in red
  • Refreshed design with a second color for visual clarity
  • Christian Worker’s Resource, a special supplement to enhance the reader’s ministry effectiveness
  • 16 pages of full-color maps
  • Single-column format
  • Presentation page
  • Two ribbon markers
  • Bonded leather cover lays flat when open
  • Thumb indexed to make finding books of the Bible easier
  • 10.8-point type size
The only reason I have not ordered it yet is the last line: all letters are actually small print. This is what it looks like on the screen, but that may not be the same on paper:

1650514041272.png1650514146505.png

I am able to read small print better on the screen but font size is only accurate on paper. I have over $100 of Amazon gift credit, so it would be wrong for me to waste $35 ordering an ebook just to increase the font size. Obviously I can't go back in time to when glasses would be sufficient. I do have glasses, but they don't help me read all font sizes. I would still need a magnifying glass while looking at the maps, timelines, charts, character profiles, tables, notes, and cross references.

I found a Bible that AFAIK has almost everything I want except the Hebrew calendar.

Features:
  • Full text of the accurate, readable, and clear New International Version (NIV)
  • Dictionary/concordance
  • Words of Jesus in red
  • Christian Worker’s Resource, a special supplement to enhance the reader’s ministry effectiveness
  • Single-column format
  • Presentation page
  • Two ribbon markers
  • 10.8-point type size
The only reason I have not ordered it yet is the last line: all letters are actually small print. This is what it looks like on the screen, but that may not be the same on paper:

View attachment 67386578View attachment 67386579

I am able to read small print better on the screen but font size is only accurate on paper. I have over $100 of Amazon gift credit, so it would be wrong for me to waste $35 ordering an ebook just to increase the font size. Obviously I can't go back in time to when glasses would be sufficient. I do have glasses, but they don't help me read all font sizes. I would still need a magnifying glass while looking at the maps, timelines, charts, character profiles, tables, notes, and cross references.

My thoughts:

1] Why not include a link, Amazon or otherwise, so we can see it?

2] 11 pt font is not that small. I realize it's relative, as we all have our own abilities and comfort level though. And be aware 10.8 pt might refer to the scriptural text, and footnotes, comments, and other text might be smaller.

3] With Amazon, at least if Amazon is the shipper, and even better if also the seller, and even better yet if it's 'Prime', there's really no risk with the 30 day return privilege.

I would get it. You really don't read the bible like a book where you might read an entire chapter. One line can send you into deep thought for a while.

Have you thought about getting a pair of reading only glasses. I have a nice pair of progressive lenses for most of the time. However I found that a pair of computer glasses and a pair of reading only glasses can make a great difference. Not the reading glasses you buy at Walmart but an actual prescription glasses from your ophthalmologist. My eyes need different correction for each eye to actually read. So those store bought glasses can only focus one eye while a prescription glasses can get both eyes in focus which makes a big difference. Just tell the doctor you would like to be able to read again. If you can use a magnifying lens to see you can get a pair of glasses that can do the same. Of course you will not be able to use them for much else. I love them for getting a sliver our of my finger or threading a needle. Get some good lighting. I know it starts to get expensive but I figure we are worth it.

Disregarding anything book publishers say, what do you consider a large print Bible?

I would get it. You really don't read the bible like a book where you might read an entire chapter. One line can send you into deep thought for a while.

Have you thought about getting a pair of reading only glasses. I have a nice pair of progressive lenses for most of the time. However I found that a pair of computer glasses and a pair of reading only glasses can make a great difference. Not the reading glasses you buy at Walmart but an actual prescription glasses from your ophthalmologist. My eyes need different correction for each eye to actually read. So those store bought glasses can only focus one eye while a prescription glasses can get both eyes in focus which makes a big difference. Just tell the doctor you would like to be able to read again. If you can use a magnifying lens to see you can get a pair of glasses that can do the same. Of course you will not be able to use them for much else. I love them for getting a sliver our of my finger or threading a needle. Get some good lighting. I know it starts to get expensive but I figure we are worth it.

One thing I thought about was asking the eye doctor about framing the equivalent of a magnifying glas on each side just for reading the Biblle

Disregarding anything book publishers say, what do you consider a large print Bible?
Print has gotten a lot smaller on a lot of things today. I know the average print today is smaller than it used to be. I think a lot of it is due to the ability to print smaller with better clarity. Unfortunately that does not help people as they get older and lose the ability to focus on that smaller print.

Does this Bible come in Kindle format? You can adjust the font size and lighting brightness on them.

Seems nice. I've been buying cookbooks lately, for new takes on Italian, Mexican, and SW cuisine. I mostly read on my backlighted Kindle so the print in books can be tougher without really good lighting.

I ordered this booklight from Amazon and love it. It lays around your neck:

I also bought some cookbooks. I tried to like my Kindle but I just don't. I like the feel of paper on my fingers, the turning of the page, the scribbling of a note in the margin

I also bought some cookbooks. I tried to like my Kindle but I just don't. I like the feel of paper on my fingers, the turning of the page, the scribbling of a note in the margin

I love my Kindle for reading fiction. And some non-fiction. Love it.

But it's not the format for lovely color photos of food or anything else like that.

Features:
  • Dictionary/concordance
  • Words of Jesus in red
  • Single-column format
  • Presentation page
  • Two ribbon markers
  • 10.8-point type size

I have a large print study Bible. It’s 10 font and it’s big. The overall book size 11x9 is great for at home use.

Does this Bible come in Kindle format? You can adjust the font size and lighting brightness on them.

Yes, but I hate using mobile devices like Kindles.

Yes, but I hate using mobile devices like Kindles.

So you'd prefer a massive volume that's heavy and awkward? Have you tried a Kindle?

I didnt want one but I ran out of room for bookshelves. And the moment I started using it I loved it.

They're not great for images and pictures but otherwise, amazingly flexible and customizable.

So you'd prefer a massive volume that's heavy and awkward? Have you tried a Kindle?

I didnt want one but I ran out of room for bookshelves. And the moment I started using it I loved it.

They're not great for images and pictures but otherwise, amazingly flexible and customizable.

I hate using mobile devices in general - laptops, cell phones, tablets, you name it. The only reason I have a cell phone is to listen to audiobooks, which I started doing just because I can't read small print very well anymore.

I hate using mobile devices in general - laptops, cell phones, tablets, you name it. The only reason I have a cell phone is to listen to audiobooks, which I started doing just because I can't read small print very well anymore.

I wrote earlier...the font size is customizable on the Kindle...very easily and it goes very large. It's also got customizable lighting and you can have real buttons AND a touch screen. The settings are easy to access and adjust.

And I think the basic Kindle is only around $80.

I wrote earlier...the font size is customizable on the Kindle...very easily and it goes very large. It's also got customizable lighting and you can have real buttons AND a touch screen. The settings are easy to access and adjust.

And I think the basic Kindle is only around $80.

Touch screens are one of the main reasons I hate using mobile devices. I miss the old days when everything was controlled by a press button.

Touch screens are one of the main reasons I hate using mobile devices. I miss the old days when everything was controlled by a press button.

I believe the current versions have touch screens and buttons but the settings do require using the touch screen.

Features:
  • Dictionary/concordance
  • Words of Jesus in red
  • Single-column format
  • Presentation page
  • Two ribbon markers
  • 10.8-point type size

That looks like a NLT life application study bible, I have one and study bibles are fun, but I prefer NiV or KJV to NLT.
NLT messes up bible verses like Acts 5:30, in my opinion

NiV will say ..... hanged in a tree

NLT will say ...... Hanged on across

But that's just my preference and I don't argue with anyone over english bible versions, what ever they feel comfortable reading and understanding is fine by Jesus, Holy spirit and God

Features:
  • Dictionary/concordance
  • Words of Jesus in red
  • Single-column format
  • Presentation page
  • Two ribbon markers
  • 10.8-point type size

Looks like a pretty good bible but there are some things that I'd prefer different. I'm more of a fan of the NASB for accuracy of translation. However, with a concordance added to this bible that isn't that big of a deal.

It looks like it could have too much going on and I think it's better to have a more straight forward bible with less notes because all of that can detract from the text of the bible itself and lead to distraction. Maybe have one that's paired down some and get a separate study guide to go with it?

Not saying any of this is wrong or anything though.

Back
Top Bottom