• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Christians only: Should I order this Bible?

I found a Bible that AFAIK has almost everything I want except the Hebrew calendar.

Features:
  • Enhanced, updated, and with new content added throughout
  • Full text of the accurate, readable, and clear New International Version (NIV)
  • Over 10,000 Life Application notes and other features
  • Over 100 personality profiles
  • Introductions and overviews for each book of the Bible
  • In-text maps, charts, and diagrams
  • Dictionary/concordance
  • More than 500 maps and charts placed for quick reference
  • Extensive side-column cross-reference system to facilitate deeper study
  • Subject index to notes, charts, maps, and profiles
  • Words of Jesus in red
  • Refreshed design with a second color for visual clarity
  • Christian Worker’s Resource, a special supplement to enhance the reader’s ministry effectiveness
  • 16 pages of full-color maps
  • Single-column format
  • Presentation page
  • Two ribbon markers
  • Bonded leather cover lays flat when open
  • Thumb indexed to make finding books of the Bible easier
  • 10.8-point type size
The only reason I have not ordered it yet is the last line: all letters are actually small print. This is what it looks like on the screen, but that may not be the same on paper:

View attachment 67386578View attachment 67386579

I am able to read small print better on the screen but font size is only accurate on paper. I have over $100 of Amazon gift credit, so it would be wrong for me to waste $35 ordering an ebook just to increase the font size. Obviously I can't go back in time to when glasses would be sufficient. I do have glasses, but they don't help me read all font sizes. I would still need a magnifying glass while looking at the maps, timelines, charts, character profiles, tables, notes, and cross references.
If I was a Christian, I'd tell you "no". Now that I'm an atheist, I still say "no". Why? It's the "New Living Translation". Not accurate at all.

If I was a Christian, I'd tell you "no". Now that I'm an atheist, I still say "no". Why? It's the "New Living Translation". Not accurate at all.

No, it is the New International Version. I have no interest in reading the NLT.

If it is NLT, it's full of motivated paraphrasing. The NIV makes plenty of doctrinal nudges, but its editors at least try to balance idiomatic sense with word for word correspondence.

If you are looking for parsimonious and unmotivated renderings of the Greek and Hebrew, you may have to take a piecemeal approach.

You really can't go wrong with Robert Alter.

The JPS has a fairly faithful English rendering of the Tanakh texts, in spite and because of the asymmetries and structural obstacles to translating Semitic root languages, with their multiple meanings per term, to the more linguistically analytic English; - whereas the best renderings of the NT Greek to English, in my opinion, are David Bentley Hart, Dr Nyland and Sarah Ruden.

No, it is the New International Version. I have no interest in reading the NLT.
I pulled an excerpt from the commentary that was on the graphics you included and the only hits were for an NLT bible, so that is where I assumed it was that translation.

NIV isn't all that good for serious study either. Assuming you want to do that.

I pulled an excerpt from the commentary that was on the graphics you included and the only hits were for an NLT bible, so that is where I assumed it was that translation.

NIV isn't all that good for serious study either. Assuming you want to do that.

This Bible comes in both versions. I would have ordered the NIV one.

The NIV is what I used to learn about Christianity. It is what the church I belonged to uses. So reading other versions looks wrong to me because I am only familiar with one translation.

I found a Bible that AFAIK has almost everything I want except the Hebrew calendar.

Features:
  • Full text of the accurate, readable, and clear New International Version (NIV)
  • Dictionary/concordance
  • Words of Jesus in red
  • Christian Worker’s Resource, a special supplement to enhance the reader’s ministry effectiveness
  • Single-column format
  • Presentation page
  • Two ribbon markers
  • 10.8-point type size
The only reason I have not ordered it yet is the last line: all letters are actually small print. This is what it looks like on the screen, but that may not be the same on paper:

I am able to read small print better on the screen but font size is only accurate on paper. I have over $100 of Amazon gift credit, so it would be wrong for me to waste $35 ordering an ebook just to increase the font size. Obviously I can't go back in time to when glasses would be sufficient. I do have glasses, but they don't help me read all font sizes. I would still need a magnifying glass while looking at the maps, timelines, charts, character profiles, tables, notes, and cross references.
Thank you. I am going to order one of these.

I love my Kindle for reading fiction. And some non-fiction. Love it.

But it's not the format for lovely color photos of food or anything else like that.

I'm only here to recommend a Kindle or any E-paper reading device.
I've had a Kindle since they first launched and regulkarly update to the newest device and they're excellent and I've given my older versions to family and they're still in use.

If you have multiple Kindles they can all be linked to 1 amazon account so everyone can read the books, magazines or papers you subscribe to.

If you've never tried an E-paper device really do consider giving them a go as they're much, much easier on the eyes than phone or tablet displays and are massively better in bright sunlight. They don't suffer from glare and are just as usable outside in the sun as indoors.

If you just want to try one even the cheapest amazon device is excellent and does the only job it's made to do (Reading) brilliantly and you honestly wont regret the purchase.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to add.
Bye.

I'm only here to recommend a Kindle or any E-paper reading device.
I've had a Kindle since they first launched and regulkarly update to the newest device and they're excellent and I've given my older versions to family and they're still in use.

If you have multiple Kindles they can all be linked to 1 amazon account so everyone can read the books, magazines or papers you subscribe to.

If you've never tried an E-paper device really do consider giving them a go as they're much, much easier on the eyes than phone or tablet displays and are massively better in bright sunlight. They don't suffer from glare and are just as usable outside in the sun as indoors.

If you just want to try one even the cheapest amazon device is excellent and does the only job it's made to do (Reading) brilliantly and you honestly wont regret the purchase.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to add.
Bye.

I agree. And the form factor for usability is amazing...easily customizable font size and lighting. And so much lighter than books! I loved that. Imagine how much lighter than a Bible?

My favorite book is The Stand...the long version. It's a brick. It's perfect on Kindle tho.

Features:
  • Dictionary/concordance
  • Words of Jesus in red
  • Single-column format
  • Presentation page
  • Two ribbon markers
  • 10.8-point type size

$35 for a book? If it has everything you want aside from the Hebrew calendar sure you can get a probably $2 reference for Hebrew calendar. I'm not that familiar with that kind of stuff.

If you want it and $35 isn't going to break the bank sure.

That was $2,000 I would say if you're a religious scholar and you needed it too deliver good education or sermons to your followers then you can justify the cost of that but you're talking $35.

If you were a friend of mine I would buy it for you as a gift.

Back
Top Bottom