• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christians Manipulate the Bible

liberal1

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
It seems to me that the only sections that Christians quote in the Bible are those that out down homosexuality and all of this peace and love and saving your eternal soul and fearing God. If the Bible is the "path to god" but some of it is convenietly ignored.

liberal1 said:
It seems to me that the only sections that Christians quote in the Bible are those that out down homosexuality and all of this peace and love and saving your eternal soul and fearing God. If the Bible is the "path to god" but some of it is convenietly ignored.

Trust me, liberal, no god would discriminate against homosexuals the way the Christians do. The Christians use the bible to support their disdain for homosexuals.

Oh, and as an aside, I don't believe that god exists--at all. It's a bunch of nonsense.

liberal1 said:
Have you ever read it? I've even read the koran!

Yes...it is true that many many people twist the Bible out of context. Some purposefully and some out of ignorance.

It is also probably fair to say that anyone who has read the Bible has mis-aplied something that was stated at some level.

But...as one of those crazy Bible Fundamentalists....I can tell you that I believe that a Homosexual is made in the image of God...and is thus more valuable than the universe.

I believe that sex between two men and/or two women is a sin. But..so is adultery. And so is looking after a woman with lust.

I sin every day as well.

Mike 1967 said:
Yes...it is true that many many people twist the Bible out of context. Some purposefully and some out of ignorance.

It is also probably fair to say that anyone who has read the Bible has mis-aplied something that was stated at some level.

But...as one of those crazy Bible Fundamentalists....I can tell you that I believe that a Homosexual is made in the image of God...and is thus more valuable than the universe.

I believe that sex between two men and/or two women is a sin. But..so is adultery. And so is looking after a woman with lust.

I sin every day as well.
The Bible is as vague as the Constitution. It can be interpreted in many different ways.

stsburns said:
The Bible is as vague as the Constitution. It can be interpreted in many different ways.

I would disagree.

I read mine daily...and most times it is as clear to me as the stuff that I read on forums like this.

But I can't speak for the constitution unfortunately. I have to admit that I have not spent much time reading it.

Mike 1967 said:

I sin every day as well.

Mike, I actually like your outlook (even though you're an everyday sinner)! tell us which of the sins you mentioned are the ones you're committing. ;) Let's liven up this thread! LOL

aps said:
Mike, I actually like your outlook (even though you're an everyday sinner)! tell us which of the sins you mentioned are the ones you're committing. ;) Let's liven up this thread! LOL

Mine it probably considered pretty tame and non-exciting for most.

But...looking on woman with lust is one of my biggest problem area. And since I believe the Bible...I believe that looking on a woman with lust is equal to adultry :(

Mike 1967 said:
Mine it probably considered pretty tame and non-exciting for most.

But...looking on woman with lust is one of my biggest problem area. And since I believe the Bible...I believe that looking on a woman with lust is equal to adultry :(

Well, I honestly do not believe that lusting after another person is a bad thing. You're human, Mike. It's okay. The adutery stuff is bad, but looking is good! That's one of the reasons I turned away from religion. I didn't like how it was always making me feel badly for being human.

aps said:
Well, I honestly do not believe that lusting after another person is a bad thing. You're human, Mike. It's okay. The adutery stuff is bad, but looking is good! That's one of the reasons I turned away from religion. I didn't like how it was always making me feel badly for being human.

This is an interesting topic. I have never thought about these questions from this viewpoint before.

On the point of Adultery

Personally I would feel bad even without Religion. Because I know that it would hurt my wife deeply if she could read my mind and my thoughts.

Mike 1967 said:
This is an interesting topic. I have never thought about these questions from this viewpoint before.

On the point of Adultery

Personally I would feel bad even without Religion. Because I know that it would hurt my wife deeply if she could read my mind and my thoughts.

Guess its a matter of communication, and individual personality. My wife knows damn well I lust after the Female form....and all indications are she rather likes it, particularly when the woman is her. Sexuality is hardwired into every warm blooded human on this earth....like it or not. Some people simply embrace it, while others fight it all through life, personally I embrace it. If that means I sin in the eyes of some all powerful entity, and will be denied the cloud enshrined kingdom of the pure....so be it. Chances are I would be bored beyond reason, and blinded by ignorant bliss anyway.

tecoyah said:
Guess its a matter of communication, and individual personality. My wife knows damn well I lust after the Female form....and all indications are she rather likes it, particularly when the woman is her. Sexuality is hardwired into every warm blooded human on this earth....like it or not. Some people simply embrace it, while others fight it all through life, personally I embrace it. If that means I sin in the eyes of some all powerful entity, and will be denied the cloud enshrined kingdom of the pure....so be it. Chances are I would be bored beyond reason, and blinded by ignorant bliss anyway.

Yes..my wife also likes it when I lust after her :mrgreen:

But even a non-religious person has to draw a line somewhere.

Even without Religion I would still fight the "hardwire of sexuality". If I gave myself completely over to my "hardwiring", I would forcefully take the first young woman that I desired.

Mike 1967 said:
Yes..my wife also likes it when I lust after her :mrgreen:

But even a non-religious person has to draw a line somewhere.

Even without Religion I would still fight the "hardwire of sexuality". If I gave myself completely over to my "hardwiring", I would forcefully take the first young woman that I desired.

Wow. Okay, so you're married. Hmmmm, I see what you're saying. I assumed you were single and lusting after women. I guess we all fight our desires to some extent. I just don't like it when you're made to feel badly for having human emotions. Sheesh (this is against religion--not you).

If I explored myself, I felt badly. In fact, I avoided it when I was a kid because I was told it was a very bad sin. Come on. We were born with sexual organs, and I think people should be able to explore them.

Even though I don't believe in God, I still like to say this: If God didn't want us to be sexually active, he wouldn't have made sex feel so good.
;)

I think it's normal to still look at others when you're married. In fact, if my husband didn't, I would think something was wrong. He's classy enough not to look when he's with me (unless, of course, I point the woman out to him).

aps said:
Wow. Okay, so you're married. Hmmmm, I see what you're saying. I assumed you were single and lusting after women. I guess we all fight our desires to some extent. I just don't like it when you're made to feel badly for having human emotions. Sheesh (this is against religion--not you).

If I explored myself, I felt badly. In fact, I avoided it when I was a kid because I was told it was a very bad sin. Come on. We were born with sexual organs, and I think people should be able to explore them.

Even though I don't believe in God, I still like to say this: If God didn't want us to be sexually active, he wouldn't have made sex feel so good.
;)

I think it's normal to still look at others when you're married. In fact, if my husband didn't, I would think something was wrong. He's classy enough not to look when he's with me (unless, of course, I point the woman out to him).

Based on my beliefs...there is definitely a fine balance between legalism and license.

On the one hand I am not going to get to Heaven through works. On the other hand...if I am truly saved...then there should be fruit (evidence/works) in my life. If I truly love God then I should want to please God....not myself.

But same holds true with our wives :- )

Even if I was still an Athiest, I would not sleep with another woman. Not because of any guilt or because i did not desire it....but because the desire of my love of my wife outweighed my desire to fulfill my sexual urge.

Hopefully you love your wife to this extent. Love is a beautiful and valueable thing.

Oh...I forgot to mention...

I also believe that if I am saved that Gods Spirit is within me. Commonly referred to as born again.

And..if I am born again...then there should be evidence of God working in me. This is what Jesus speaks of when he uses the analogy of dead tree's, live tree's and fruit.

Anyway..this is what I believe. :mrgreen:

Mike 1967 said:
Oh...I forgot to mention...

I also believe that if I am saved that Gods Spirit is within me. Commonly referred to as born again.

And..if I am born again...then there should be evidence of God working in me. This is what Jesus speaks of when he uses the analogy of dead tree's, live tree's and fruit.

Anyway..this is what I believe. :mrgreen:

I appreciate your openness. So you went from being an atheist to being religious. I wonder if that could happen to me? (Raised Catholic and left the church several years ago.)

By the way, I am a chick. I am very happily married to my husband. I worship that cutie pie.

aps said:
;)
He created it so pleasureable, but to be pleasure able within the sacredness of marriage. I am a believer in God and right now, Jesus is the only man in my life that staisfies me and always will be.
If it be his will, then he will provide someone for me...meaning I can live my life, i don't have to waste my time looking for relationships that are not fufilling, and God always provide...plus since he knows me better then I do, i trust him more then me:2razz:
I truly don't understand why people just go out and have sex all willy nilly, and then can go and get married and feel as connected to his/her husband.
I mean, i wouldn't want to have sex knowing some guys dick has been with someone else. I want to be his first and he be mine, sex is more then just pleasure its a bond that will last forever...the first one to take your virginity.
You know the cliche 'you will never forget your first love', its the same thing, I personally want to save myself for my husband, because that is a bond that can never break, its the most intimate thign you can do with your partner that you will grow old with and I will cherish it.

I sin every day as well.
i agree completely:2razz: Not a day goes buy that I dont sin, but I have a heavenly father who loves me and will forgive me whenever I confess and ask for it.

aps said:
I appreciate your openness. So you went from being an atheist to being religious. I wonder if that could happen to me? (Raised Catholic and left the church several years ago.)

By the way, I am a chick. I am very happily married to my husband. I worship that cutie pie.

Thank you. I think it is important to be open.

I was raised an athiest. My father is still an athiest and will probably die one.

I would say that anyone can become a believer at any point. Anything is possible with God. fThe thief on the cross is a good example. He was obviously saved according to scripture....and it was while he was dying on the cross.

I believe that a person cannot have faith unless God first enables them to have it. In otherwords, I don't believe that it is a Free Will thing. As such, I don't believe that I can talk you into salvation or belief....although on the other hand...I do believe that God can use me to reach you if that is his plan.

My opinion on the Catholic Church is not a positive one. PErsonally, I cannot blame you for leaving the Catholic Church.

Glad to hear that you love your husband. :- ) Do you have children ?

teenonfire4him77 said:
I truly don't understand why people just go out and have sex all willy nilly, and then can go and get married and feel as connected to his/her husband.
I mean, i wouldn't want to have sex knowing some guys dick has been with someone else. I want to be his first and he be mine, sex is more then just pleasure its a bond that will last forever...the first one to take your virginity.
You know the cliche 'you will never forget your first love', its the same thing, I personally want to save myself for my husband, because that is a bond that can never break, its the most intimate thign you can do with your partner that you will grow old with and I will cherish it.

Please do not take this as an insult...as it is not meant as such. You are 15 yrs old....and likely have yet to experience what a sexual relationship actually is, this is a good thing in my opinion, and I recommend you retain virginity until you find "the one". I would however like to point out that many people do have a bit more experience with this part of Human interaction, and therefor may have a bit more insight into what it actually is. The intimacy is indeed a part of sex....but there are many things within the act of making love....it is extremely complex as far as emotions are concerned. I watched the Bourne Supremacy with my wife last night...and it was a very intimate time...just holding hands and being together. While we did make love later, it was for the physical act....not the intimacy, as we get that all day. Its called Love.

Just Sayin'....there are some things better commented on from experience, not the lack of.

Mike 1967 said:
Thank you. I think it is important to be open.

I was raised an athiest. My father is still an athiest and will probably die one.

I would say that anyone can become a believer at any point. Anything is possible with God. fThe thief on the cross is a good example. He was obviously saved according to scripture....and it was while he was dying on the cross.

I believe that a person cannot have faith unless God first enables them to have it. In otherwords, I don't believe that it is a Free Will thing. As such, I don't believe that I can talk you into salvation or belief....although on the other hand...I do believe that God can use me to reach you if that is his plan.

My opinion on the Catholic Church is not a positive one. PErsonally, I cannot blame you for leaving the Catholic Church.

Glad to hear that you love your husband. :- ) Do you have children ?

Very interesting background. We don't have children yet--we are working on it, although we have been unsuccessful thus far (more than a year). It's okay. I believe that if we are meant to be parents, it will happen for us. I will accept whatever fate deals out to me. I would not feel my life was empty if I didn't have kids, particularly because I love the hubster so much.

aps said:
Very interesting background. We don't have children yet--we are working on it, although we have been unsuccessful thus far (more than a year). It's okay. I believe that if we are meant to be parents, it will happen for us. I will accept whatever fate deals out to me. I would not feel my life was empty if I didn't have kids, particularly because I love the hubster so much.

I am a sorry to hear this. Hopefully it is just a small bump in the road. In which case you will appreciate even more the blessing when it comes. And if not, there are many lonely children in this world that are praying for a home

I have 3 children myself. Your comments above remind me that I often times take my own blessings for granted.

teenonfire4him77 said:
So per your admitting that you don't understand other people's motivation, it is clear that you really can't speak as that what is right or wrong in their life, isn't that so?

To generalize christians as those who manipulate the bible is a generalization. Catholics, mormans, Jews, Muslims ect all have examples of extreemist individuals and groups (Rove) that twist the "holy book" for thier own political gains or goals.
I think that it's disgusting for anyone to use the purity of religious faith for thier own gains. It's a dessicration to the principles of the very core of all religions.
This is exactly why religions should never be involved with matters of state because politics always corrupt religion.

tecoyah said:
Please do not take this as an insult...as it is not meant as such. You are 15 yrs old....and likely have yet to experience what a sexual relationship actually is, this is a good thing in my opinion, and I recommend you retain virginity until you find "the one". I would however like to point out that many people do have a bit more experience with this part of Human interaction, and therefor may have a bit more insight into what it actually is. The intimacy is indeed a part of sex....but there are many things within the act of making love....it is extremely complex as far as emotions are concerned. I watched the Bourne Supremacy with my wife last night...and it was a very intimate time...just holding hands and being together. While we did make love later, it was for the physical act....not the intimacy, as we get that all day. Its called Love.
And you would know my experience how? I happen to know what its like, my physical virginity was stolen away from me in the first ten years of my life that was molested. My physical may be gone, forcefully, but i willfully choose to save myself and give myself wholeheartedly to the man I love. Because it was not my fault, and my heavenly father doesn't see me as ruined, so why should I?
The act of making love, is more then physical, as it should be. As ive said its the most intimate thing you can ever give your wife and husband. When i find the man I love, I want him to know how much I love him and appreciated him, by being able to say I kept myself pure for him.

Just Sayin'....there are some things better commented on from experience, not the lack of.

Age aint nothin but a number, I might be young, but ive experience more things then someone would experience in a lifetime, i know u didn't mean it as an insult, but don't use that against me, because its fruitless.

You still have failed to show where your experiences at 15 makes you qualified to speak for others and decide what is best for them.

Back
Top Bottom