• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christians and Israel

tosca1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Without Israel, there wouldn't be Christianity. Christians have an obligation to stand with Israel.
We shouldn't be silent about that.

Rubio's blistering speech on Obama's assault on Israel

Genesis 12
I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

Joel 3:1-3
The Lord Judges the Nations
3 [a] “For behold, in those days and at that time, when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem, 2 I will gather all the nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. And I will enter into judgment with them there, on behalf of my people and my heritage Israel, because they have scattered them among the nations and have divided up my land, 3 and have cast lots for my people, and have traded a boy for a prostitute, and have sold a girl for wine and have drunk it.

Romans 11
Israel’s Rejection Not Total
11 I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not! For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew.

Ephesians 3
6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel,

Last edited:
:roll:
catholic bigots hate jews while evangelist bigots like.

Last edited:
:roll:
catholic bigots hate jews while evangelist bigots like.

Why do a lot of people - including some Christians - hate the Jews? I think this will be a philosophical discussion so I'll post it in Philosophy, What's the reason for anti-semitism?

Last edited:
Without Israel, there wouldn't be Christianity. Christians have an obligation to stand with Israel.

Genesis 12

3 [a] “For behold, in those days and at that time, when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem, 2 I will gather all the nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. And I will enter into judgment with them there, on behalf of my people and my heritage Israel, because they have scattered them among the nations and have divided up my land, 3 and have cast lots for my people, and have traded a boy for a prostitute, and have sold a girl for wine and have drunk it.

Romans 11
11 I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not! For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew.

Ephesians 3
6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel,

er as Christians don't you have an obligation to treat every one how you would want to be treated?

now supporting Israel might be a part of that but you have to support Palestinians to and that doesn't mean you have to support everything any one dose either

Genesis 12

Romans 11

Ephesians 3

This is why so many Christians support the State of Israel. The Jews must return there so they can be murdered by God in the end times. I kid you not. And Israel thinks Iran is a threat.

While only 36 percent of all Americans believe that the Bible is God's Word and should be taken literally, 59 percent say they believe that events predicted in the Book of Revelation will come to pass. Almost one out of four Americans believes that 9/11 was predicted in the Bible, and nearly one in five believes that he or she will live long enough to see the end of the world. Even more significant for this study, over one-third of those Americans who support Israel report that they do so because they believe the Bible teaches that the Jews must possess their own country in the Holy Land before Jesus can return.
Millions of Americans believe that the Bible predicts the future and that we are living in the last days. Their beliefs are rooted in dispensationalism, a particular way of understanding the Bible's prophetic passages, especially those in Daniel and Ezekiel in the Old Testament and the Book of Revelation in the New Testament. They make up about one-third of America's 40 or 50 million evangelical Christians and believe that the nation of Israel will play a central role in the unfolding of end-times events. In the last part of the 20th century, dispensationalist evangelicals become Israel's best friends-an alliance that has made a serious geopolitical difference.
Read more at On the Road to Armageddon: How Evangelicals Became Israel's Best Friend by Timothy P. Weber - Beliefnet.com

Why do a lot of people - including some Christians - hate the Jews? I think this will be a philosophical discussion so I'll post it in Philosophy, What's the reason for anti-semitism?

it is not about philosophy but about the political dynamics and socio culturel structures of different time periods in the history

er as Christians don't you have an obligation to treat every one how you would want to be treated?

now supporting Israel might be a part of that but you have to support Palestinians to and that doesn't mean you have to support everything any one dose either

Christians are called to defend the weak and the defenseless, and to stop those being led to slaughter.
Those are in the Bible.

We are, according to the Scriptures, also called upon to stand with Israel.

Today no one can control what somebody else says. They can control whether or not they select to directly support the person who says anything else.

Genesis 12

Romans 11

Ephesians 3

Israel today is not the Israel of God's Covenant, they bear absolutely 0 relation.

Infact there are probably more palestinian families With actual descendants going back to the ancient Israelites than the Israelies.

So do you believe that Jew's don't need to Accept Christ to be saved?

Christians are called to defend the weak and the defenseless, and to stop those being led to slaughter.
Those are in the Bible.

No we arn't, the modern state of Israel is not the "New Israel" which Paul was talking about, God made a New covenant With the New Israel where one is circumsised by heart not flesh.

Israel today is not the Israel of God's Covenant, they bear absolutely 0 relation.

Infact there are probably more palestinian families With actual descendants going back to the ancient Israelites than the Israelies.

It's the nation of Israel. That's what's in the Scriptures.

So do you believe that Jew's don't need to Accept Christ to be saved?

Obviously everyone needs Jesus Christ to be saved.
That there is an issue with Jews is clear. It's there in the Scriptures. That issue however, is,
between God and the Jews.

No we arn't, the modern state of Israel is not the "New Israel" which Paul was talking about, God made a New covenant With the New Israel where one is circumsised by heart not flesh.

Cite.

1 Peter 2:
4 Come to him, a living stone, though rejected by mortals yet chosen and precious in God’s sight, and 5 like living stones, let yourselves be built[a] into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For it stands in scripture:

“See, I am laying in Zion a stone,
a cornerstone chosen and precious;
and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

7 To you then who believe, he is precious; but for those who do not believe,

“The stone that the builders rejected
has become the very head of the corner,”
8 and
“A stone that makes them stumble,
and a rock that makes them fall.”
They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.

9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people,[c] in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

10 Once you were not a people,
but now you are God’s people;
once you had not received mercy,
but now you have received mercy.

Who is Peter talking about here .... Ethnic Jews? Or Christians?

Romans 2:
28 For a person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. 29 Rather, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart—it is spiritual and not literal. Such a person receives praise not from others but from God.

Romans 9:

Galatians 6:
15 For[d] neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is anything; but a new creation is everything! 16 As for those who will follow this rule—peace be upon them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

26 for in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith. 27 As many of you as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s offspring,[k] heirs according to the promise.

Even Jesus talked about this

Matthew 21:
42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the scriptures:

‘The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone;[f]
this was the Lord’s doing,
and it is amazing in our eyes’?

43 Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that produces the fruits of the kingdom.[g] 44 The one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and it will crush anyone on whom it falls.”[h]

It's the nation of Israel. That's what's in the Scriptures.

Which is not the modern state of Israel, the "nation" of Israel doesn't exist, the temple is gone, and God has made a New covenant.

there is 0 continuity between the ancient nation o Israel and the modern secular state called "Israel."

Obviously everyone needs Jesus Christ to be saved.
That there is an issue with Jews is clear. It's there in the Scriptures. That issue however, is,
between God and the Jews.

OK, so Is there a covenant With the Jews? If so what is it?

Was not the Whole covenant that the messiah was to come through them? WHen the messiah comes, the New covenant was made With everyone who believes in Christ.

If you want to make this argument, then you'd HAVE to argue that the New covenant does not Complete the old covenant, and that Jews are saved through the Law and not through christ, and that the old covenant was not a type for the messiah.

All this just to make a cheap political argument for the modern secular apartied state of Israel.

Genesis 12

Romans 11

Ephesians 3

To quote paraphrase Lord Palmerston "A nation has no eternal friends or perpetual enemies, A nation has only eternal and perpetual interests."

To the extent that Israel's interests intersect with the United States we should support her but no further. Our best interests are our only concern.
What may or may not have happened 2,000 years is not relevant

1 Peter 2:
4 Come to him, a living stone, though rejected by mortals yet chosen and precious in God’s sight, and 5 like living stones, let yourselves be built[a] into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For it stands in scripture:

“See, I am laying in Zion a stone,
a cornerstone chosen and precious;
and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

7 To you then who believe, he is precious; but for those who do not believe,

“The stone that the builders rejected
has become the very head of the corner,”
8 and
“A stone that makes them stumble,
and a rock that makes them fall.”
They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.

9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people,[c] in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

10 Once you were not a people,
but now you are God’s people;
once you had not received mercy,
but now you have received mercy.

Who is Peter talking about here .... Ethnic Jews? Or Christians?

Of course he's referring to believers in Jesus Christ.

Romans 2:
28 For a person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. 29 Rather, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart—it is spiritual and not literal. Such a person receives praise not from others but from God.

Paul is discussing the role of the Old Testament Law as it relates to Christianity. He argues that Jewish circumcision is only an outward sign of being set apart to God. However, if the heart is sinful, then physical circumcision is of no avail. A circumcised body and a sinful heart are at odds with each other. Rather than focus on external rites, Paul focuses on the condition of the heart. Using circumcision as a metaphor, he says that only the Holy Spirit can purify a heart and set us apart to God. Ultimately, circumcision cannot make a person right with God; the Law is not enough. A person’s heart must change. Paul calls this change “circumcision of the heart.”

This concept was not original with the apostle Paul. As a Jew trained in the Law of Moses, he was certainly aware of this discussion from Deuteronomy 30. There, the Lord used the same metaphor to communicate His desire for a holy people: “And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live” (Deuteronomy 30:6). Physical circumcision was a sign of Israel’s covenant with God; circumcision of the heart, therefore, would indicate Israel’s being set apart to love God fully, inside and out.

Read more: What is circumcision of the heart?

Which is not the modern state of Israel, the "nation" of Israel doesn't exist, the temple is gone, and God has made a New covenant.

there is 0 continuity between the ancient nation o Israel and the modern secular state called "Israel."

OK, so Is there a covenant With the Jews? If so what is it?

Was not the Whole covenant that the messiah was to come through them? WHen the messiah comes, the New covenant was made With everyone who believes in Christ.

If you want to make this argument, then you'd HAVE to argue that the New covenant does not Complete the old covenant, and that Jews are saved through the Law and not through christ, and that the old covenant was not a type for the messiah.

All this just to make a cheap political argument for the modern secular apartied state of Israel.

Romans 11:26 says that all Israel will be saved. What do you think is meant by "Israel?" You think it's figuratively speaking? You advocate replacement theology in which you believe Israel has been replaced.

It is LITERAL!

The passages that speak of future Israel are difficult to view as figurative for the Church.
The classic text (Romans 11:16–24) depicts Israel as distinct from the Church: the “natural branches” are the Jews, and the “wild branches” are the Gentiles. The “olive tree” is the collective people of God. The “natural branches” (Jews) are “cut off” the tree for unbelief, and the “wild branches” (believing Gentiles) are grafted in.
This has the effect of making the Jews “jealous” and then drawing them to faith in Christ, so they might be “grafted in” again and receive their promised inheritance.
The “natural branches” are still distinct from the “wild branches,” so that God’s covenant with His people is literally fulfilled. Romans 11:26–29, citing Isaiah 59:20–21; 27:9; Jeremiah 31:33–34, says:

“And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: ‘The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob. And this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins .’ As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.”

Here, Paul emphasizes the “irrevocable” nature of Israel’s calling as a nation (see also Romans 11:12). Isaiah predicted that a “remnant” of Israel would one day “be called the Holy People, the Redeemed of the LORD” (Isaiah 62:12). Regardless of Israel’s current state of unbelief, a future remnant will in fact repent and fulfill their calling to establish righteousness by faith (Romans 10:1–8; 11:5). This conversion will coincide with the fulfillment of Moses’ prediction of Israel’s permanent restoration to the land (Deuteronomy 30:1–10).

When Paul says Israel will be “saved” in Romans 11:26, he refers to their deliverance from sin (verse 27) as they accept the Savior, their Messiah, in the end times. Moses said, “The Lord your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live” (Deuteronomy 30:6). Israel’s physical inheritance of the land promised to Abraham will be an integral part of God’s ultimate plan (Deuteronomy 30:3–5).

Read more: Will all Israel be saved in the end times?

Last edited:
Let's review Jeremiah 31!

“The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.

It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to[d] them,[e]”
declares the Lord.

“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.

No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”

35 This is what the Lord says,
he who appoints the sun
to shine by day,
who decrees the moon and stars
to shine by night,
who stirs up the sea
so that its waves roar—
the Lord Almighty is his name:

“Only if these decrees vanish from my sight,”
declares the Lord,
“will Israel ever cease
being a nation before me.”

37 This is what the Lord says:

“Only if the heavens above can be measured
and the foundations of the earth below be searched out
will I reject all the descendants of Israel
because of all they have done,”
declares the Lord.

38 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when this city will be rebuilt for me from the Tower of Hananel to the Corner Gate. 39 The measuring line will stretch from there straight to the hill of Gareb and then turn to Goah. 40 The whole valley where dead bodies and ashes are thrown, and all the terraces out to the Kidron Valley on the east as far as the corner of the Horse Gate, will be holy to the Lord.
The city will never again be uprooted or demolished.”

You got that wrong!

God still has plans for Israel. It's coming - in end times!

Zechariah 8
The Coming Peace and Prosperity of Zion
And the word of the Lord of hosts came, saying, 2 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: sI am jealous for Zion with great jealousy, and I am jealous for her with great wrath. 3 Thus says the Lord: tI have returned to Zion and uwill dwell in the midst of Jerusalem, vand Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city, wand the mountain of the Lord of hosts, the holy mountain. 4 Thus says the Lord of hosts: xOld men and old women shall again sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each with staff in hand because of great age. 5 And the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls playing in its streets. 6 Thus says the Lord of hosts: yIf it is marvelous in the sight of the remnant of this people in those days, zshould it also be marvelous in my sight, declares the Lord of hosts? 7 Thus says the Lord of hosts: Behold, aI will save my people bfrom the east country and from the west country, 8 and I will bring them to dwell in the midst of Jerusalem. cAnd they shall be my people, and I will be their God, din faithfulness and in righteousness.”

Zechariah 12
Him Whom They Have Pierced

10 “And zI will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and zpleas for mercy, so that, awhen they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, bthey shall mourn for him, cas one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.

Rev 7
144,000 Sealed

After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree. 2 Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God. He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea: 3 “Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.” 4 Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.

5 From the tribe of Judah 12,000 were sealed,
from the tribe of Reuben 12,000,
from the tribe of Gad 12,000,
6 from the tribe of Asher 12,000,
from the tribe of Naphtali 12,000,
from the tribe of Manasseh 12,000,
7 from the tribe of Simeon 12,000,
from the tribe of Levi 12,000,
from the tribe of Issachar 12,000,
8 from the tribe of Zebulun 12,000,
from the tribe of Joseph 12,000,
from the tribe of Benjamin 12,000.

Several other Biblical references to support this. I can't post the whole thing.
You should read the whole explanation on this site:

Will all Israel be saved in the end times?

To quote paraphrase Lord Palmerston "A nation has no eternal friends or perpetual enemies, A nation has only eternal and perpetual interests."

To the extent that Israel's interests intersect with the United States we should support her but no further. Our best interests are our only concern.
What may or may not have happened 2,000 years is not relevant

It is VERY MUCH relevant if one is a Christian voter who takes the Scriptures seriously!

Genesis 12

Romans 11

Ephesians 3

Israel is a sovereign country, we are not indebted to them in any way.

It is VERY MUCH relevant if one is a Christian voter who takes the Scriptures seriously!

The United States should not be making foreign policy based on one religion's beliefs.

And that does not include giving blind and total affirmation of every Israeli policy on the West Bank

This is why so many Christians support the State of Israel. The Jews must return there so they can be murdered by God in the end times.

The most staunch (non-Jewish) supporters of this idea that the "restoration of Israel" is prophecy being fulfilled are known as Christian Zionists:

"Christian Zionism as a modern theological and political movement embraces the most extreme ideological positions of Zionism. ... It propagates a worldview in which the Christian message is reduced to an ideology of empire, colonialism and militarism. In its extreme form, it places an emphasis on apocalyptic events leading to the end of history rather than living Christ’s love and justice today ... In 2006, I drafted what became known as the Jerusalem Declaration on Christian Zionism signed by four of the Heads of Churches in Jerusalem: His Beatitude Patriarch Michel Sabbah, Latin Patriarch, Jerusalem; Archbishop Swerios Malki Mourad, Syrian Orthodox Patriarchate, Jerusalem; Bishop Riah Abu El-Assal, Episcopal Church of Jerusalem and the Middle East; and Bishop Munib Younan, Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land. In it they insisted:

“We categorically reject Christian Zionist doctrines as a false teaching that corrupts the biblical message of love, justice and reconciliation.

"We further reject the contemporary alliance of Christian Zionist leaders and organisations with elements in the governments of Israel and the United States ..."

Christian Zionism: The Heresy that Undermines Middle East Peace

Rev. Ted Pike, director of the National Prayer Network, a Christian/conservative watchdog organization, states:

"Zionists have no Biblical foundation for their claim that a nation of unrepentant Jews occupied Palestine under God’s blessing a century ago. God clearly instructed Jeremiah (Jer. 29:4-8) that such Jews should live outside His holy land, seeking the welfare of their host nations."

NPN Email Alert:

"The Biblical law that God will not allow a disobedient Jewish nation to dwell in Palestine is one of the most emphasized doctrines of the Old Testament. It is stated in the clearest language more than two dozen times in Leviticus and Deuteronomy alone!"

NPN Email Alert

The late Grace Halsell has also written a lot on this:

"Christian Zionism is a dangerous and growing segment of Christianity, which was popularized by the 19th-century American Cyrus Scofield when he wrote into a Bible his interpretation of events in history. These events all centered around Israel-past, present, and future. His Scofield Bible is today the most popular of the reference Bibles. Scofield said that Christ cannot return to earth until certain events occur: The Jews must return to Palestine, gain control of Jerusalem and rebuild a temple, and then we all must engage in the final, great battle called Armageddon. Estimates vary, but most students of Armageddon theology agree that as a result of these relatively recent interpretations of Biblical scripture, 10 to 40 million Americans believe Palestine is God's chosen land for the Jews."

Forcing God's Hand by Grace Halsell

More from Grace Halsell:

'What is the message of the Christian Zionist? Simply stated it is this: Every act taken by Israel is orchestrated by God, and should be condoned, supported, and even praised by the rest of us.

"Never mind what Israel does," say the Christian Zionists. "God wants this to happen." '

Israeli Extremists and Christian Fundamentalists: The Alliance

Back
Top Bottom