• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christians Against the Death Penalty

cmitch06

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Any Christian who bases their faith on what Jesus Christ said and not what men have said can not support the death penalty. Jesus never condoned capital punishment. Ex: 1. "He who is without sin cast the first stone"
2. "You have been told and eye for and eye and a tooth for a
tooth but I will tell you different"
3. " Turn the other cheek"

Wanting to kill one who has murdered is a completely natural feeling. A feeling of the flesh which as Christians we should stray away from. Jesus rebuked the teachings of the Pharisees b/c they had it all wrong. I am assured he would rebuke holy men of today for getting some stuff wrong to. We are humans though and thats what we do is get stuff wrong sometimes. Live your life by how Jesus lived his. Not by how your preacher says you should.

Christians against the death penalty is fine if the churches are the ones calling for the death penalty. In our contry it is our government that makes the determination and we have separation of church and state.
Render unto the lord that which is the lords, and unto Caesar...or something like that, I am too lazy to look it up to quote it correctly.
I was raised in the majority protestant religion of the southeast, and rejected it as soon as I left home. Too many preachers teach Paul, Paul, Paul. They over stress the words of Paul, and ignore many of the teachings of Christ.
And most of them are money grubbers as well.

UtahBill said:
Christians against the death penalty is fine if the churches are the ones calling for the death penalty. In our contry it is our government that makes the determination and we have separation of church and state.
Render unto the lord that which is the lords, and unto Caesar...or something like that, I am too lazy to look it up to quote it correctly.
I was raised in the majority protestant religion of the southeast, and rejected it as soon as I left home. Too many preachers teach Paul, Paul, Paul. They over stress the words of Paul, and ignore many of the teachings of Christ.
And most of them are money grubbers as well.
yeah dude, I've noticed the excessive importance placed on Paul and the relative indifference to the gospels and the Acts of the apostles.
But you have to acknowledge that ones morals are to a degree shaped by their religion, and at certain points they are too intertwined to completely seperate them, like I believe it is morally wrong to kill, period, and thus I cannot support the death penalty, but this is also in combination with a logical argument, but a large part of my passion for the issue comes from my religious beliefs.

Christians are against all killing
except many (Fake) Christians like the ones during all the wars that blessed the carnage and sanctioned it even well
not that many real Christians left anymore the churchs are in trouble
cant you see
Will the real christian please stand up I only see a sea of fake christians today
pedophile priests , scofield bibles and gender bending and female pastors
WE live in the era of the FAKE CHRISTIAN
the gog ,and magog, are among us.The ANTI CHRISTs walk among you,
leaders of the FAKE CHRISTIANS
zionist scofield readers with a twisted P.O.V.

Last edited:
I am against the death penalty, but not for religious reasons as much as for financial. It is too bad we don't have our own version of a Devil's Island for those deemed too dangerous to be in normal society. People like that are definitely worthy of being deemed "unclean" and then banished for life to a place where they can only victimize each other.

But, isn't it strange that the Jews, before and during the time of Christ, were so eager to kill anyone who fornicated, dishonored their parents, committed adultery, etc.?
They had the 10 commandments, right? Is there any ambiguity there?
Are there any Jews among us who can shed light on this issue?

But, isn't it strange that the Jews, before and during the time of Christ, were so eager to kill anyone who fornicated, dishonored their parents, committed adultery, etc.?
They had the 10 commandments, right? Is there any ambiguity there?
Are there any Jews among us who can shed light on this issue?
I'm not a Jew but I can answer. Thou shalt not kill actually means thou shalt not murder. To illustrate that, the death penalty is prescribed for punishment (by God) throughout the Torah.

Canuck said:
Christians are against all killing
except many (Fake) Christians like the ones during all the wars that blessed the carnage and sanctioned it even well
not that many real Christians left anymore the churchs are in trouble
cant you see
Will the real christian please stand up I only see a sea of fake christians today
pedophile priests , scofield bibles and gender bending and female pastors
WE live in the era of the FAKE CHRISTIAN
the gog ,and magog, are among us.The ANTI CHRISTs walk among you,
leaders of the FAKE CHRISTIANS
zionist scofield readers with a twisted P.O.V.

Um, well, I consider myself to be a, "real" Christian. Despite the fact that I support capital punishment. I just feel like it's only fair for the state to kill those that have murdered others.

George_Washington said:
Um, well, I consider myself to be a, "real" Christian. Despite the fact that I support capital punishment. I just feel like it's only fair for the state to kill those that have murdered others.
Then answer me one question:
Do we have a perfect justice system?
Because if we don't that would lead to the logical progression that if we're not perfect, then it would be a very bad idea to make our decisions irreversable, especially within our justice system which holds the stance that it would prefer to let the guilty go over convicting a single innocent.

galenrox said:
Because if we don't that would lead to the logical progression that if we're not perfect, then it would be a very bad idea to make our decisions irreversable, especially within our justice system which holds the stance that it would prefer to let the guilty go over convicting a single innocent.

Two points...

1) "Perfect"?...I don't know, but I do know that when humans are involved, that makes any system on paper less "perfect" in real life...

2) Many decisions are irreversable...you are only talking about the consequences...

If someone was found to be innocent 20 minutes after a completed jail sentence, the decision would still be irreversable...The damage was done...

Your only issue is with the amount of the damage...

galenrox said:

Possibly but that's why I only advocate the death penalty for murder. Although I am open minded to the possiblity of also having it for child molesters.

cnredd said:
Two points...

1) "Perfect"?...I don't know, but I do know that when humans are involved, that makes any system on paper less "perfect" in real life...

2) Many decisions are irreversable...you are only talking about the consequences...

If someone was found to be innocent 20 minutes after a completed jail sentence, the decision would still be irreversable...The damage was done...

Your only issue is with the amount of the damage...
true, but I think we can agree that serving a jail sentence for a crime you didn't commit is better than being killed for a crime you didn't commit.
But yeah, I mispoke. It seems the government can apologize and reimburse and innocent who served time, but apologies don't mean much to a dead man.

George_Washington said:
Possibly but that's why I only advocate the death penalty for murder. Although I am open minded to the possiblity of also having it for child molesters.
I'm torn when it comes to child molestors. Like, as far as I'm concerned they're the worst type of person that could possibly exist, as a group, other than genociders (is that the term for that?), but I dunno, does the punishment really fit the crime?

galenrox said:
true, but I think we can agree that serving a jail sentence for a crime you didn't commit is better than being killed for a crime you didn't commit.
But yeah, I mispoke. It seems the government can apologize and reimburse and innocent who served time, but apologies don't mean much to a dead man.
I'll go one step further which would really shake things up...

Have each person who testifies for the prosecution sign a paper saying that any "tampering of evidence or other infractions" that cause the defendant to receive the death penalty would result in THEIR DEATH TOO, since the infractions directly led to the defendant's death, making them a murderer.

That would make people, especially the ones in the criminology professions, think twice about giving faulty testimony and would drastically reduce the amount of cases in which some would tesify...

Only people who know the "slam-dunk" facts would testify without doubt or fear of the ultimate recrimination...

Child Molesters need help, not the death penalty. It really depends on the crime, if you have a situation where its cruel and inhumane to the child, then let him fry. If its more mild, not saying its right, but they need help. Most can't help it because they have neurological control issues. Being insane isn't grounds for death.

shakenbake19 said:
Child Molesters need help, not the death penalty. It really depends on the crime, if you have a situation where its cruel and inhumane to the child, then let him fry. If its more mild, not saying its right, but they need help. Most can't help it because they have neurological control issues. Being insane isn't grounds for death.

Whoa. Wait a sec. Saying child molesters can't help it is a very bold statement. It's one thing to have thoughts but to actually go out and act on them means a person is conscious of what he or she is doing. If he or she feels he is so sick to the point where he can't help himself, then he or she should seek psychiatric attention immediately. If he or she doesn't and acts on their impulses, than they have committed a, felony and needs to be punished like any other criminal.

I have no sympathy for child molesters, no matter how "minute" what they did may have seemed to some people.

Well, I personally believe the death penalty is a necessary when it is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that a criminal falls outside the ability to feel remorse. It should be reserved for serial killers, habitual rapists, molestors and their ilk. I dont think it is a punishment at that point so much as it is a termination and even extermination of one who is morally unredeemable. Even then, it should be approached with the heavy heart of knowing that our society created such a predator. It should not be witnessed or televised, nor should any sense of moral superiority be garnered from its function. The death penalty should be sterile and painless and should be performed with due expediency. I simply see it as a waste to care for an inherently criminal and predatorial mind when there is no hope of reform.

cmitch06 said:
Any Christian who bases their faith on what Jesus Christ said and not what men have said can not support the death penalty. Jesus never condoned capital punishment. Ex: 1. "He who is without sin cast the first stone"
2. "You have been told and eye for and eye and a tooth for a
tooth but I will tell you different"
3. " Turn the other cheek"

Wanting to kill one who has murdered is a completely natural feeling. A feeling of the flesh which as Christians we should stray away from. Jesus rebuked the teachings of the Pharisees b/c they had it all wrong. I am assured he would rebuke holy men of today for getting some stuff wrong to. We are humans though and thats what we do is get stuff wrong sometimes. Live your life by how Jesus lived his. Not by how your preacher says you should.

I totally agree with, but I think that the death penalty has both an Up-side and a Down-side. Now, I think that spending the rest of your life in a prison is much worse than having to die in a few minutes. Our death penalies these days are put in effect more swiftly than 100 years ago. Just think of it, we actually had to hang people from 10-15 foot oak trees, if they were found guilty of a crime. Jesus was crucified for hours on end and we ALL are complaining about a death in 2-5 minutes?

Living your life in a prison and dying slow without any connection to the outside world is more unbearable to watch than a man/woman being put in a gas chamber. Now that is where I stand on this issue. If I have said anything to offend anyone, my deepest apologies.

theheartbreakkid13 said:
Now, I think that spending the rest of your life in a prison is much worse than having to die in a few minutes.

So for those supporting LWOP are actually supporting the harshest of penalties? Couldn't this even be considered cruel?:lol:

theheartbreakkid13 said:
Our death penalies these days are put in effect more swiftly than 100 years ago. Just think of it, we actually had to hang people from 10-15 foot oak trees, if they were found guilty of a crime. Jesus was crucified for hours on end and we ALL are complaining about a death in 2-5 minutes?

Jesus did not have a 12 year waiting period with multiple appeals.:lol:

theheartbreakkid13 said:
Living your life in a prison and dying slow without any connection to the outside world is more unbearable to watch than a man/woman being put in a gas chamber.

So your concern is more for those watching than the criminal? Have you ever seen an execution? The courts would probably rule your, "without any connection to the outside world," as cruel and unusual punishment.:lol:

theheartbreakkid13 said:
Now that is where I stand on this issue. If I have said anything to offend anyone, my deepest apologies.

If your opinion offends anyone, it's probably their issue, not yours. People can have differing opinions without conflicts, something governments could learn.

I am against the death penalty except where depraved indifference to the life of others is involved. Life without parole will do, in a maximum security prison with NO access to the outside world, and monitored visitation/contact with family members. That means no Televison, no magazines, no weight lifting, no access to computers or the internet, and so on.
Some say "it takes all kinds". I say it doesn't. There are some types we can do without....

George_Washington said:
God save us all from god botherers!! May they rot in hell haha.

cnredd said:
I'll go one step further which would really shake things up...

Have each person who testifies for the prosecution sign a paper saying that any "tampering of evidence or other infractions" that cause the defendant to receive the death penalty would result in THEIR DEATH TOO, since the infractions directly led to the defendant's death, making them a murderer.

That would make people, especially the ones in the criminology professions, think twice about giving faulty testimony and would drastically reduce the amount of cases in which some would tesify...

Only people who know the "slam-dunk" facts would testify without doubt or fear of the ultimate recrimination...
That is true, but then think about this:
We know that to a degree the police are corrupt. They control the evidence, and they control whether or not to investigate into whether or not someone's death was justifiable. What do we do in the cases of police corruption leading to the death penalty?
How about an independent task force sees all evidence, talks to all witnesses, and conducts their own actually thurough investigation prior to any execution, and if any tampering's been done, those that were behind it face attempted murder charges.

galenrox said:
That is true, but then think about this:
We know that to a degree the police are corrupt. They control the evidence, and they control whether or not to investigate into whether or not someone's death was justifiable. What do we do in the cases of police corruption leading to the death penalty?
How about an independent task force sees all evidence, talks to all witnesses, and conducts their own actually thurough investigation prior to any execution, and if any tampering's been done, those that were behind it face attempted murder charges.

Well, I think we should investigate police corruption before we execute someone, of course.

I honestly believe that you cannot call yourself a christian if you believe in the death penalty. Put them away in solitary confinement, so they never see the light of day, no visitation and absolutely no chance of parole. If you are christian and you believe in capital punishment, you are going against what Jesus taught, choosing to solely listen to small pieces of his ministry. NO MAN is ever below the point of redemption, an effort should always be made to convert them from evil ways.

NewAgeTexDem said:
I honestly believe that you cannot call yourself a christian if you believe in the death penalty. Put them away in solitary confinement, so they never see the light of day, no visitation and absolutely no chance of parole. If you are christian and you believe in capital punishment, you are going against what Jesus taught, choosing to solely listen to small pieces of his ministry. NO MAN is ever below the point of redemption, an effort should always be made to convert them from evil ways.
Jesus did tell us to render unto God what is God's, and render unto Caeser what is his. That tells me that we are to be subject to the government, and if the government decides to kill someone, we are obliged to let it happen. We kill our enemies on the battlefield, and they have likely done less to deserve it than those on death row.
I would prefer that they spend the rest of their lives in safe, confined, isolation, but ultimately, it is not my decision to make.
Nor is it yours.

It is our decision to make, thats why were under a republic not a Caesar;). We have a voice in our country that can shape its politcal actions, and if we voice opinions agianst the teachings of christianity while claiming to be christians we are nothing but hypocrits.

Back
Top Bottom