• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Christian Schools Using Children For Political Purposes

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
With the recent brouhaha with that American Indian drummer and the smug kid with the MAGA hat, it seems there is an even more troubling issue- that fundamentalist schools like that Covington one are using children by bringing them to political rallies to advance whatever cause they want.

This is a dangerous policy since not only do political rallies sometimes and up in violence, but also the possibility for controversy that could affect these students. Minors cant vote anyway so their political posturing is pointless. News media may even end up doxxing these kids, and they could get a lot of unwanted attention. This kind of politicizing should stop. Kids shouldnt participate in political rallies of any kind.

What say you?

Where to even begin with this Leftist crap. First, it's a Catholic High School, not a "fundamentalist" school. Second, it's been a tradition for many Christian schools to take their students to the very peaceful and positive "March For Life" held each year. It's an expression of their beliefs and a Constitutionally-protected right in America.

I wonder if your feelings were different when high school and elementary children by the thousands were bussed into D.C. for the "March For Our Lives"?

BTW, "Smug Kid" was minding his own ****ing business when Nathan Phillips decided to single him out and get in his face, banging his drum and chanting. "Smug Kid" smiled and stood very still until the radical, Leftist Native American got out of his face and backed off.

Where to even begin with this Leftist crap.
Bzzt. Im not a leftist.

First, it's a Catholic High School, not a "fundamentalist" school.
If it quacks like a duck, its a duck.

Second, it's been a tradition for many Christian schools to take their students to the very peaceful and positive "March For Life" held each year.
Shameful politicking. If religious institutions do that then their tax free status out to be canceled.

It's an expression of their beliefs and a Constitutionally-protected right in America.
They can express their belief, but it takes a special kind of coward to use children for that.

I wonder if your feelings were different when high school and elementary children by the thousands were bussed into D.C. for the "March For Our Lives"?
Im against that too. Im against any sort of political rallies with kids in them.

Bzzt. Im not a leftist.

Shameful politicking. If religious institutions do that then their tax free status out to be canceled.

They can express their belief, but it takes a special kind of coward to use children for that.

Im against that too. Im against any sort of political rallies with kids in them.

This school has a long history of bigotry (the students at least). Here is those kids wearing blackface at a basketball game to mock black atheletes

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covington-catholic-black-paint/

With the recent brouhaha with that American Indian drummer and the smug kid with the MAGA hat, it seems there is an even more troubling issue- that fundamentalist schools like that Covington one are using children by bringing them to political rallies to advance whatever cause they want.

This is a dangerous policy since not only do political rallies sometimes and up in violence, but also the possibility for controversy that could affect these students. Minors cant vote anyway so their political posturing is pointless. News media may even end up doxxing these kids, and they could get a lot of unwanted attention. This kind of politicizing should stop. Kids shouldnt participate in political rallies of any kind.

What say you?

no they seem old enough to have opinions and to protest if they wish to

Bzzt. Im not a leftist.

Never said YOU were a Leftist. You are, however, spouting Leftist crap like conflating Catholic schooling with teaching "Fundamentalism". Your ignorance of Catholic education is profound.
It takes a special kind of adult to instill strong beliefs about human rights, the right to life, the recognition of abortion as the killing of a child in the womb and omg, for the love of Pete, Covington is a PRIVATE school!

How do you feel about public schools giving their students 2-3 days off a year to protest? Should tax payers fund that? Isn't that using kids to advance a political agenda?

My, oh my, what a different response when school children march on Washington for LIFE, and not for an anti-gun, anti-NRA, anti-2nd amendment rally!

How do you manage the incongruities in your head?

no they seem old enough to have opinions and to protest if they wish to

They sure thought the Parkland kids did. Those kids were lionized and adults praised them endlessly. But oh boy! Bring high school kids to D.C. to the "March For Life" and the descend like blood-sucking flies.

There were kids of all backgrounds, races and creeds at this year's march and it was full of positive messages. The youth had great exposure and experiences, but for the nasty, biased, hate-Trump media releasing edited footage which has caused an avalanche of hate, which now has left several children in the literal crosshairs of the deranged, lunatic-fringe Left.
These kids need our support and protection, not derision.

This school has a long history of bigotry (the students at least). Here is those kids wearing blackface at a basketball game to mock black atheletes

It was a "black out" rally, not a "black face" rally. A couple kids painted their bodies the color of the rally. This is not racism, so just stop.

Stop attacking children.

Kids shout and scream at basketball games. They jeer the opposition and cheer their own team.
How ridiculous.

The Left can't deal with the fact they were once again fed fake news by the Hate-Trump Media and they are now doing their best to demonize CHILDREN to support their Trump-hate agenda.

Last edited:
What say you?

I'd say on this topic, I totally disagree with you.

Kids learning about First Amendment Rights first hand.

Totally fine with it, and encourage it.

What say you?

Either kids can demonstrate, or they can't... If they can't, then I expect to see your next outrage post in the Guns section, complaining about the kids protesting guns.

Personally I think kids can form their own thoughts on what they'd like to involve themselves in politically, and unless there's a law to stop them, there's nothing anyone can do but cluck.

I'm not aligned with the goals of either of the recently, highly publicized student demonstrations, but I think they ought to be managed the same way.

I'd say on this topic, I totally disagree with you.

Kids learning about First Amendment Rights first hand.

Totally fine with it, and encourage it.

The fact that this political action is being discussed in the Beliefs / Skepticisms section should speak to the issue. Hint: It's not about First Amendment Rights. ;)

Tens of thousands of school kids were "used" for political purposes when they were taken to the "March For Our Lives". Was this "USING" children?

And how do you reconcile wanting to protect school children from being harmed in schools by school shooters, but promulgate hatred and targeting of children who attend a Catholic high school? For what? What crime did they commit that is so heinous that anyone would choose not to defend and protect them against mounting hatred, doxxing and threats of violence and death?
Why are some children's lives worth defending and others not?

The fact that this political action is being discussed in the Beliefs / Skepticisms section should speak to the issue. Hint: It's not about First Amendment Rights. ;)

In an intellectually-dishonest world, that mean.

Tens of thousands of school kids were "used" for political purposes when they were taken to the "March For Our Lives". Was this "USING" children?

And how do you reconcile wanting to protect school children from being harmed in schools by school shooters, but promulgate hatred and targeting of children who attend a Catholic high school? For what? What crime did they commit that is so heinous that anyone would choose not to defend and protect them against mounting hatred, doxxing and threats of violence and death?
Why are some children's lives worth defending and others not?

Going along individually with your parents is not the same as being herded there by your school.

Going along individually with your parents is not the same as being herded there by your school.

Heya, Manc… In order to see a difference, I'd have to see evidence that anyone was forced to go - that someone who didn't want to be there was "herded" there anyway.

The kids at the gun rallies didn't all go individually with their parents. Example:

Baltimore student protests and the $100,000 field trip - Baltimore Sun

I don't see anything wrong with these protests being facilitated in either example...unless kids were being forced to participate.

How about being herded onto busses? School children were transported en masse to the March for our Lives. TONS more of them. Schools sponsored their own MFOLs protest across the country!
Outrage? no???

You are, however, spouting Leftist crap like conflating Catholic schooling with teaching "Fundamentalism". Your ignorance of Catholic education is profound.

Bzzt. I was born into a Catholic family and know all about it- I even attended an elementary Christian school. Yes, they are teaching fundamentalism.

It takes a special kind of adult to instill strong beliefs about human rights, the right to life, the recognition of abortion as the killing of a child in the womb and omg, for the love of Pete, Covington is a PRIVATE school!
I have nothing against private schools (been in one before) or christian schools (ditto). What I am against is adults using kids to further their political ends.

How do you feel about public schools giving their students 2-3 days off a year to protest?
Totally against that too. Public schools especially should be neutral in any sort of political movement. Its a travesty- and school administrators need to be taken to ask for that too.

Schools should be for learning about politics, not about taking sides.

Should tax payers fund that?
No.

Isn't that using kids to advance a political agenda?
It is, and I vehemently disagree with it.

I always taught my children that getting involved in protests/demonstrations would violate the basic principle of Christian neutrality taught by Jesus...the only real change will come through him...John 17:16; 18:36...

What say you?

National School Walkout: Thousands Protest Against Gun Violence Across the U.S.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/us/school-walkout.html

That wasn't "blackface"; that was body paint. Even the authors of the link you cited admitted the use of black body paint wasn't racial in nature. Interesting however that whoever provided this 7 year old image (I'm certain there countless available of this certain renowned "cheering section"), decided to provide the one that shows a black player doing the inbounds pass (this section were apparently renowned for heckling the inbounds passers of the opposing team), instead of any other opposing player.

OM

Bzzt. Im not a leftist.

That is true, but what you fail to recognize is that leftists have a long history of doing exactly this, using children in public schools for political purposes, indoctrinating them with leftist ideas, then encouraging them to "walk out of school" to attend political rallies, etc. So while I agree that the religious are using children as political pawns, they're hardly the only ones.

What say you?

Walkout Wednesday: students risk punishment for joining gun control protest
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/13/walkout-wednesday-students-gun-control-protest

it is the media that dabbles in politicizing - BIASED politicizing.

Florida high school student says media is politicizing massacre to push gun control
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/...-is-politicizing-massacre-to-push-gun-control

What say you?

Soooo... your position is that the response of the rabid left should lead us to restrict the free speech of conservative children?

Should we restrict the right of resident aliens to protest because they can't vote?

You are posing some really troubling **** here, PoS.

What say you?

Public schools have been politicized by “progressives” for decades. This is just a natural reaction. You can’t stop one without the other.

**** like this is what is driving the lunatics on the left ... and anyone who spreads this type of misinformation ...

BLACKOUT

Educate yourself on that one. In 2008 the NYT had an article explaining the BLACKOUT meaning in sports.

And stop spreading lies.

Back
Top Bottom