• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christian preacher yells faggots during sermon

JWs do not believe Jesus Christ is lord and savior. You are Jews for Christ.

Wrong on all counts...he is our lord and Savior...he is not Jehovah God...and we are not Jews...

No, that's what you are doing, I am trying to straighten you out.

No, look at this again:

Do you actually know what "judge not" means? I can see that you don't, so I will explain:

In 21st century language, "judge not" in this case means "judge rightly". If you had read the next verse, you'd have learned that you will be judged by your own standards, so you'd better be right - and just - about it.

You are translating "judge not" to mean "judge freely." You're missing the point: we aren't supposed to harbor contempt for our brothers and sisters, we are supposed to be merciful and forgiving as our Father is. Leave Godly judgement to God, as we cannot assume the arrogance of judging His servants as servants ourselves.

He's telling us literally not to judge others, as what others do is not our primary concern. Our primary concern is what we do, we should judge ourselves rather than judging others. What He's saying is that we must hold ourselves to a high standard, and we must forgive and love our brothers and sisters.

I provided quite a bit of quotations to that effect.

In other words, he's a fundamentalist.

Is that what it's called? Well, that's where people mistakenly get into thinking the Bible contradicts itself...

Thank you, Ramoss. Hard to believe. Sneaky. I hate when either side does that. Puts something in a bill completely unrelated.

thanks Ramoss for supplying that link. I had originally read about it here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/us/politics/johnson-amendment-churches-taxes-politics.html?_r=0

It is a sneaky attempt to get support of GOP Senators who would ordinarily be put off by the huge deficits created by the tax bill, but are dependent on support of their church going voters.

Hasn't gotten anywhere near the coverage it deserves. IMO.

Knowing we have a lot of Christians on the site, I wanted to ask, what are your thoughts on this?

I was listening to a podcast series related to cults and how to identify if you or others are in a cult. It was a series of different discussions.

One section was by a Christian preacher from a sermon he did. I was listening to it, and I thought he was doing a really good job. He was using examples and case studies on many cults, and he was using the bible to cite teachings on false prophets. I was really enjoying it. Then at one point, he said something about "fags." I was a little surprised, and then he said, "Yeah, that's right. I said it. They are faggots."

He also made some strong statements against the mormon faith, Catholicism, and Pentecostalism.

I looked into his background, and he is Paster Steven Anderson of the Faithful World Baptist Church.

A link to some of his work: Sermons from Faithful Word Baptist Church - KJV Bible Preaching (I noticed a sermon titled, Iceland: Nation of Bastards)

My thoughts are he is horribly misguided. When you come to Christianity you have to set that hatred aside. Within Christianity there is no real difference between sins and we are all sinners. There are homosexuals closer to salvation than I am. The worst you can say for any sinner is they have come to celebrate their sin... but again, we all do that as well.

The funny thing is that the Baptist religion adheres to the Lutheran view of salvation which states that faith in Jesus as the Savior absolves you of sin, so on those grounds any homosexual Baptist is already good to go. How he turns that in to spewing hate is unfathomable.

Yes. VERY. I’m quite surprised to the point that I am a little paranoid you aren’t messing with me like you alredy knew this lol. It is very common knowledge in the Christian community. I’m a PC USA Christian. We actually allow gay membership and marriage. Was a big deal in our church. We are not fundamental though. We have a “book of order” which is basically just guidelines on how the church is to be run (closer to catholic than baptist). We are not literalists.

We also believe in predestination...where baptists do not. We do not believe action gets you into heaven (baptists do). We believe that it is only by the grace of God. So not our call. Hence baptists baptism and being saved where we baptize an infant.

I worked at a Christian summer camp and we had to know theology of the different denominations of questioned were asked. We wanted to make sure that the children understood the differences and how we believe (and so if a baptist/atheist/Catholic/Muslim) has questions we could provide an answer. :)

No, I promise I am not messing with you. There could be a few different reasons why I don't know much about Baptists, but I find your post to be really interesting.

I knew a Calvinist, and she believed people were either destined to go to Heaven or Hell and what you did, didn't matter. Is that the same as "predestination?" How does the concept work? Again, I apologize is my questions are really dumb. I am curious to know this.

JWs do not believe Jesus Christ is lord and savior. You are Jews for Christ.

Jews for Christ? There are Messianic Jews. They accept Jesus as messiah.

Wrong on all counts...he is our lord and Savior...he is not Jehovah God...and we are not Jews...

What is the difference in saying lord and god? Is Jesus a lesser god?

I hope my questions do not offend. I am really curious.

I would just call those folks Old Testament Christians

What I understand Christian to be is someone who accepts Jesus as God not the Messiah not just Christ but God.

Perhaps my definition is esoteric which I'm willing to accept.

I still stand by my position that Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult thus there are exclusive and thus they do not follow Christ's teachings.

Perhaps it's simply my Catholic upbringing.

What is the difference in saying lord and god? Is Jesus a lesser god?

I hope my questions do not offend. I am really curious.

Not at all...Jesus is a lesser god...Matt. 20:20-23; John 14:28; 1 Cor. 11:3; Matt 12:31,32; 1 Cor.8:5,6...who deserves our, not the God Almighty...he is God's first begotten...God's first creation, through which all other things were created...Colossians 1:15,16

I would just call those folks Old Testament Christians

What I understand Christian to be is someone who accepts Jesus as God not the Messiah not just Christ but God.

Perhaps my definition is esoteric which I'm willing to accept.

I still stand by my position that Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult thus there are exclusive and thus they do not follow Christ's teachings.

Perhaps it's simply my Catholic upbringing.

I don't know why you keep saying that...it is not true...if your priest told you so, he lied to you...

Not at all...Jesus is a lesser god...Matt. 20:20-23; John 14:28; 1 Cor. 11:3; Matt 12:31,32; 1 Cor.8:5,6...who deserves our, not the God Almighty...he is God's first begotten...God's first creation, through which all other things were created...Colossians 1:15,16

Sorry, but this is confusing me. Jesus is a lesser god, and he is God's actual/literal son?

Sorry, but this is confusing me. Jesus is a lesser god, and he is God's actual/literal son?

Did you read the scriptures I cited?

He is a god in the sense that he is a mighty one, divine...which means godlike or heavenly....

Did you know that even the judges of ancient Israel, who wielded great power in the nation, were called “gods”?...Psalm 82:6; John 10:34, 35

These renderings would support the fact that Jesus, being the Son of God and the one used by God in creating all other things, is indeed a “god,” a mighty one, and has the quality of mightiness, but is not the Almighty God...

I don't know why you keep saying that...it is not true...if your priest told you so, he lied to you...

It is true that the watchtower organization is a cult. It wasn't a priest that told me as I am not catholic. Its a former Jehovah's witness that was shunned by her parents grand parents and siblings.

Despite your silly theories Catholics don't talk about your cult.

It is true that the watchtower organization is a cult. It wasn't a priest that told me as I am not catholic. Its a former Jehovah's witness that was shunned by her parents grand parents and siblings.

Despite your silly theories Catholics don't talk about your cult.

So why did you bring your Catholic upbringing into it? She told you we did not follow the teachings of Christ? Well, she lied, too...

So why did you bring your Catholic upbringing into it?
It colored my idea of religion. Its a base for my opinion.

She told you we did not follow the teachings of Christ? Well, she lied, too...
Do you practice shunning for people that don't follow your goofy rules?

I've talked to many recovering JWs. The way your cult treats people who don't follow its nonsense anymore is despicable.

The way your cult treats people that report sexual abuse perpetuated by its zealots is profoundly despicable.

Pretty sure it would make Christ weep.

But you go ahead and sneer down your sanctimonious nose at all the unwashed heathens outside your cult. We're smart enough not to join.

The 'Messianic Jews' are not considered to be of the Jewish faith by the mainstream Jews. In fact, many of them do not even have Jewish heritage. If you look at who initially funded all the Messianic temples, they tended to be evangelistic Christians who wanted to proselytize to the Jews, either Southern Baptist or some of them were Lutheran. The people of Jewish heritage in those temples tend to be people that were brought up secular

Back
Top Bottom