• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christian Politics

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
This is something that confuses me often. The Christian Right, and indeed many Christians in general, seem to have political positions that dont exactly jive with their beliefs.

The biggest one I can think of at the moment is undocumented immigration. From reading the bible, it doesn't seem that Jesus would have actually cared that much if someone had proper paperwork or not; it was "Love thy neighbor" not "Love thy properly documented neighbor". Except a lot of the people who are really anti-immigration seem to be the Protestant Christians who talk about how important it is to be Christ-like.

I'm not trying to criticize, I'm just confused how many of these political positions came to be adopted when many violate the basic precepts of Christianity.

It's a rather convenient fact that the written word can often be interpreted in several different ways. It allows an individual to interpret things in the Bible in such a way as they support or confirm their political beliefs and then to argue that the "infallible" Bible supports their position.

This is something that confuses me often. The Christian Right, and indeed many Christians in general, seem to have political positions that dont exactly jive with their beliefs.

The biggest one I can think of at the moment is undocumented immigration. From reading the bible, it doesn't seem that Jesus would have actually cared that much if someone had proper paperwork or not; it was "Love thy neighbor" not "Love thy properly documented neighbor". Except a lot of the people who are really anti-immigration seem to be the Protestant Christians who talk about how important it is to be Christ-like.

I'm not trying to criticize, I'm just confused how many of these political positions came to be adopted when many violate the basic precepts of Christianity.

I'm not exactly a Christian, but I think those on the right just want our laws to be obeyed. They aren't against legal immigrant (they embrace them). At least that's how I feel.

Lord, here we go again.

1. It is the law of the land.

2. A nation that does not control its borders is not a nation.

3. "Love thy neighbor" is about personal relationships, not relations between nations.

4. If we lived in a perfect world.... but we don't.

True. It's a function of our politics and culture. Similar religious institutions in other countries, so I hear, side more with liberal groups for the "take care of the poor, homeless, sick, etc." angle.

My experience the last 15 years or so was that that evangelical Christians got a little ticked off at liberals for constantly shutting out religion from schools, public space, etc., and for pro-choice (well, many religions on that one). They turned to Republicans and found traction there, especially with GWBush. In a more evangelical sense, they viewed the Republicans more likely to breach church/state, restrict abortion, restrict sex ed, etc.

I have no idea any more what religious communities do with all their capital and time, but it would seem you'd rank your goals and act accordingly. Apparently for many, restricting abortion, sex ed, and teaching religion in schools, held more appeal than social support systems, civil rights protection, etc. Just off the cuff, I'm not saying that's precisely how it is/was.

You would require Christians to abandon any kind of law whatsoever. Criminals? Should not only be forgiven, but given more than they demand. No room for torts, either; same reason.

And why exactly do you equate sending an illegal alien back to their own country to be an act opposed to love? It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with love, one way or the other.

Religious people hypocrites???? Never.

I mean look at the catholic church , then read what jesus had to say. Talk about an organization that is exactly what he preached against.

Hint hint...this is a plug to read the bible, nothing makes more atheists than people actually reading the thing.

3. "Love thy neighbor" is about personal relationships, not relations between nations.

It amazes me how people just cannot separate government from personal relationships, religion, etc. Very odd. Much like the "social justice" debates with people on the left claiming that Jesus would be for the government taking care of the people when it VERY CLEARLY states in scripture that it's an INDIVIDUAL thing. Jesus was about changing hearts for the better - that is - INDIVIDUAL charity which helps the one in need AND the giver. Paying taxes doesn't change your heart -- looking someone in the eye, giving them a hug, and handing them a check for their light bill DOES change hearts. There is very little emotional connection when the giver is far removed from their "charity" (i.e. the government collecting taxes and mailing out checks to the less fortunate).

Meh...I think I'm rambling. It's been a long day.

Back
Top Bottom