• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CHRISTIAN HYPPOCRISY

The internet pictures tell them what to think.

Most of the Christians don't have the mental skills to ascertain which reality they actually want to live in. They believe they've hit the Lottery,
but they've never taken the time to buy a ticket. (Metaphorically)

Eat shrimp !? Tattoo ?!? Ask any one of them why they're not willing to stone their own daughter to death if her husband discovers she's not a virgin on her wedding night !!

Anyone who claims to worship the god of the bible worships a very low god - a god who is capricious, punitive, vengeful, jealous and cruel. In other words, a god made in man's image, the true author's image, and not the reverse.

You're just jealous 'cause republicans can't meme without russian troll farms to help.

The internet meme pictures are childish, lazy, and are used by idiots who can't carry a discussion with other literate adults.

The internet meme pictures are childish, lazy, and are used by idiots who can't carry a discussion with other literate adults.
You are avoiding addressing the point the meme makes.

Just to be clear on where I'm coming from, I am a Christian.

You do, in fact, have a point, and not just about your primary subject. I've known too many preachers to dwell on the OT in what many call "legalism", when in fact Gentile Christians are clearly not subject to the OT law (Acts 15).

There is a more general problem with your meme, in that scriptures regarding homosexuality are not limited to the OT. There are references in the NT (Romans 1:26–27, 1 Corinthians 6:9–10, and 1 Timothy 1:8–11) as well, which have historically been interpreted to classify homosexuality as a sin.

There is dispute of this interpretation, regarding interpretation of certain greek terms used in the original text, and regarding historical context. The classical interpretation is pretty straight forward in a literal reading, particularly Romans 1, while the alternative view involves a more complicated and circumstantial interpretation.

I'm going to turn on my "Editorial" light at this point: the following is just my opinion, based on half a century of attending many "Evangelical" churches.

Most churches, preachers and congregations are not nearly as obsessed with "Teh Gayz" as the media would lead you to believe.

There was *one* preacher I recall who was an exception, and did go on about Teh Gayz quite a lot, but he was born in the 1930s and was quite an odd fellow in many ways.

Most churches I've attended and preachers I've heard (a very large number), rarely mention homosexuality, let alone devote an entire sermon to it. I would say that typically they are more focused on problems that are more common in their congregation: adultery, broken homes, drug addiction, troubled marriages, alcoholism, and so on.

Many are also more involved in promoting Christian virtues, and exhorting the congregation to charity, patience, love, compassion and so on, than in condemning specific sins of whatever stripe.

Yes, the large majority of "Evangelical" preachers do tend to view Romans 1 rather literally and consider homosexuality a sin... but most don't actually spend a lot of time going on about it. They've got other more common issues among their congregation to deal with.

The media tends not to focus on pastors who are quietly doing their jobs, helping people in need, counseling the troubled, visiting the sick and so on. The media prefers to focus on the relative few who make big public statements, since controversy sells news ad time.

I've rarely heard homosexuality mentioned either in all of my years listening to sermons.

You do, in fact, have a point, and not just about your primary subject. I've known too many preachers to dwell on the OT in what many call "legalism", when in fact Gentile Christians are clearly not subject to the OT law (Acts 15).

There is a more general problem with your meme, in that scriptures regarding homosexuality are not limited to the OT. There are references in the NT (Romans 1:26–27, 1 Corinthians 6:9–10, and 1 Timothy 1:8–11) as well, which have historically been interpreted to classify homosexuality as a sin.

There is dispute of this interpretation, regarding interpretation of certain greek terms used in the original text, and regarding historical context. The classical interpretation is pretty straight forward in a literal reading, particularly Romans 1, while the alternative view involves a more complicated and circumstantial interpretation.

I'm going to turn on my "Editorial" light at this point: the following is just my opinion, based on half a century of attending many "Evangelical" churches.

Most churches, preachers and congregations are not nearly as obsessed with "Teh Gayz" as the media would lead you to believe.

There was *one* preacher I recall who was an exception, and did go on about Teh Gayz quite a lot, but he was born in the 1930s and was quite an odd fellow in many ways.

Most churches I've attended and preachers I've heard (a very large number), rarely mention homosexuality, let alone devote an entire sermon to it. I would say that typically they are more focused on problems that are more common in their congregation: adultery, broken homes, drug addiction, troubled marriages, alcoholism, and so on.

Many are also more involved in promoting Christian virtues, and exhorting the congregation to charity, patience, love, compassion and so on, than in condemning specific sins of whatever stripe.

Yes, the large majority of "Evangelical" preachers do tend to view Romans 1 rather literally and consider homosexuality a sin... but most don't actually spend a lot of time going on about it. They've got other more common issues among their congregation to deal with.

The media tends not to focus on pastors who are quietly doing their jobs, helping people in need, counseling the troubled, visiting the sick and so on. The media prefers to focus on the relative few who make big public statements, since controversy sells news ad time.
well---the politicians use it to sell to their constituents for lots of votes

There are I suppose some who go out into the world seeking sinners.

For the most part...we live our lives. We dont give a damn about your choices. We arent trying to con vert you. We arent trying to save you. We dont hate you. If you are a decent person, we wont mind if you come fishing with us or go shooting with us or sit around the smokers have a cold beverage, smoke cigars and stare at the moon. We dont care. We arent impacted by your sexuality, race, or what the **** ever.

However. There are unfortunately a fair number of you that parade in the street in assless chaps and demand that we accept you because you are happy and love yourselves and look at us dammit we are ****ing happy!!! Look at us!!! LOOOK AT US!!!!!!

And we say...well...since you bring it up..its against our belief system...so...for what its worth.

To which you scream and say HOMOPHOBE!!!!! BIGOT!!!! I HATE YOU YOU ARE SO INTOLERANT!!!!

Whatever dood.......

well---the politicians use it to sell to their constituents for lots of votes

Politicians love wedge issues, don't they? All politicians of every stripe.

As far as the voters, though, the issues that tend to get them agitated are usually not simply the existence of gays, excluding a few fringe extremists.
Most people, yes even most Christians, don't care much if the couple down the street are lesbians.
The things most people get upset about are things such as the baker who was sued over his refusal to make an explicitly-gay wedding cake for a person due to religious beliefs, whether elementary school children should be taught about LGBTQ in school at such a young age, that sort of thing. Issues where they feel that "acceptance" is being *forced* upon them under color of law or threat of other retaliation, and without consideration of their beliefs.

That's where the real conflict is, for the most part.

Most of the Christians don't have the mental skills to ascertain which reality they actually want to live in. They believe they've hit the lottery,
but they've never taken the time to buy a ticket. (Metaphorically)

You don't know how people become Christians. I have never heard of any Christian feeling he/she hit the lottery without buying a ticket. That is not how it works.

You don't know how people become Christians. I have never heard of any Christian feeling he/she hit the lottery without buying a ticket. That is not how it works.
I spoke metaphorically. Meaning: A lot of Christians think they're going to heaven simply because they are church goers, they pray and read the Bible etc..
At the same time, they vote for some of the worst humans on earth, which in turn, cause other people great pain and suffering. They look down on minorities, are
downright cruel to others, and a myriad of other non-biblical teachings, like help the poor...be kind to others..and the list goes on and on.
Metaphorically, they haven't actually followed Jesus's teachings as told in the "Good Book". THAT''s not buying a ticket. ...to heaven.
If there is actually a heaven and they arrive at the proverbial Heaven's Gate, there will be one hell of a shock for them. (Excuse the pun)

I spoke metaphorically. Meaning: A lot of Christians think they're going to heaven simply because they are church goers, they pray and read the Bible etc..
At the same time, they vote for some of the worst humans on earth, which in turn, cause other people great pain and suffering. They look down on minorities, are
downright cruel to others, and a myriad of other non-biblical teachings, like help the poor...be kind to others..and the list goes on and on.
Metaphorically, they haven't actually followed Jesus's teachings as told in the "Good Book". THAT''s not buying a ticket. ...to heaven.
If there is actually a heaven and they arrive at the proverbial Heaven's Gate, there will be one hell of a shock for them. (Excuse the pun)

No, that is not why Christians believe they will go to heaven.

Yes, I knew your statement was a metaphor.

No, that is not why Christians believe they will go to heaven.

Yes, I knew your statement was a metaphor.
I could be wrong but from living in Sarasota (Crammed full of rich Christians), my bias could have something to do with their actions. A lot are phony, horrible people.

Those New Testament citations are from Paul's epistles, letters he wrote to congregations around the Mediteranean offering his opinions on a variety of subjects. He was trying to keep everyone on the same page and he succeeded, he is the reason Christianity didn't become just another sect of Judaism like the Pharisees, Sadducees and Essenes.
But those were his opinions. Nobody, well, 'body' might be the wrong term, no-one gave him the authority to decide what is a sin. Any consideration of homosexuality as being sinful has to come back to the Mosaic laws in Leviticus and run up against that whole "if this why not that and that and that" argument.

Politicians love wedge issues, don't they? All politicians of every stripe.

As far as the voters, though, the issues that tend to get them agitated are usually not simply the existence of gays, excluding a few fringe extremists.
Most people, yes even most Christians, don't care much if the couple down the street are lesbians.
The things most people get upset about are things such as the baker who was sued over his refusal to make an explicitly-gay wedding cake for a person due to religious beliefs, whether elementary school children should be taught about LGBTQ in school at such a young age, that sort of thing. Issues where they feel that "acceptance" is being *forced* upon them under color of law or threat of other retaliation, and without consideration of their beliefs.

That's where the real conflict is, for the most part.
agree------------if parents are upset then they should home school

agree------------if parents are upset then they should home school
So...you think parents should just accept the Marxist push to begin targeting children as early as they can get them away from their mothers so they they can push an agenda on them that will cause the disruption and destruction of individuals and make them dependent on the government.......or home school them?

Really?

I take it you dont have children and THAT is why you support sick leftist ****s indoctrinating them..

So...you think parents should just accept the Marxist push to begin targeting children as early as they can get them away from their mothers so they they can push an agenda on them that will cause the disruption and destruction of individuals and make them dependent on the government.......or home school them?

Really?

I take it you dont have children and THAT is why you support sick leftist ****s indoctrinating them..
Your reference to Marx just killed your credibility

I believe in LOCO PARENTIS when it comes to schools....
parents elect school boards and state reps..........enough said

Back
Top Bottom