• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christian Fundamentalists vs. Islamic Fundamentalists

Are Christian Fundamentalists getting to be as bad as Islamic Fundamentalists

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Saboteur

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Are Christen groups getting as bad as Islamic Fundamentalist groups like Al-Qaeda?

Some burn down or bomb clinics, some want their religion to be the basis of the U.S. government, some claim that it already is but needs to be more so and some believe in capital punishment in the literal 'eye for an eye' sense. Many believe that torture is okay and even more refuse to believe in evolution. They won't even consider the actual physical evidence.

Now some are saying that a war is being waged on Christmas.

What's next? Another Inquisition?

Sounds like the Christians are on the road to Taliban country.

Saboteur said:
Are Christen groups getting as bad as Islamic Fundamentalist groups like Al-Qaeda?

Some burn down or bomb clinics, some want their religion to be the basis of the U.S. government, some claim that it already is but needs to be more so and some believe in capital punishment in the literal 'eye for an eye' sense. Many believe that torture is okay and even more refuse to believe in evolution. They won't even consider the actual physical evidence.

Now some are saying that a war is being waged on Christmas.

What's next? Another Inquisition?

Sounds like the Christians are on the road to Taliban country.

I absolutely agree.....
Christian Fundamentalists ARE getting out of hand.....

What they need to have is an Inquisition within the Christian religion......
Start actually going by thier Holy Bible....
Stop doing all that crappy Missionary **** to con people into becomming christians, specifically, the Jews, who they seem to think are all going to Burn to death during the "Second Coming of Christ"
I think the Righteous Christians, the ones who actually make sense of thier religion need to step up and start shutting down the likes of Pat Robertson and Farwell and all that old cronies.

Islamic Fundamentalists are bad... yes.... But, how many Islamic Fundamentalists do you think there are in the USA? Not that many... Definately not as many as Christian Fundamentalists........And.... What does this have to do with it?

The USA is the most powerful nation in the world at the moment.....I would hate to think of what would happen if our government started acting upon its Fundamentalist ideals like some of the Arab Nations do......

Puhlease......

I'm not even going to dignify this crap with a response, this is just hate speech, and should be closed!:roll:

Deegan said:
Puhlease......

I'm not even going to dignify this crap with a response, this is just hate speech, and should be closed!:roll:

No, this is a serious issue....

The title above your avatar is hate speech.

No they aren't. Christian fundamentalists are ignorant morons, but they generally don't go around killing people or encouraging others to kill people. The Christian fundamentalists that commit terrorist attacks on abortion clinics or murder homosexuals are in the very very tiny minority, even within their own movement. Can you say the same about Islamic fundamentalists? Methinks not.

The Islamist movement is probably the strongest political ideology in the Islamic world, and many (or most) of them support terrorism against civilians under certain circumstances, as well as the virtual slavery of women. In contrast, most Americans simply laugh at Christian fundamentalists. Even among those who take them seriously, it's the relatively "harmless" Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson that have the most support, rather than Fred Phelps.

Last edited:
Kandahar said:
No they aren't. Christian fundamentalists are ignorant morons, but they generally don't go around killing people or encouraging others to kill people. The Christian fundamentalists that commit terrorist attacks on abortion clinics or murder homosexuals are in the very very tiny minority, even within their own movement. Can you say the same about Islamic fundamentalists? Methinks not.

The Islamist movement is probably the strongest political ideology in the Islamic world, and many (or most) of them support terrorism against civilians under certain circumstances, as well as the virtual slavery of women. In contrast, most Americans simply laugh at Christian fundamentalists. Even among those who take them seriously, it's the relatively "harmless" Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson that have the most support, rather than Fred Phelps.

Yes, because so many people in the Islamic world are hateful and want to kill everyone and supress thier women that women are voting, women are getting elected.......(I know.. we are making it happen, but it is still happening).

Even more Sunnis are voting this time around. I would have to say that the Islamic Fundamentalism is starting to weaken.... but our Christian Fundamentalism is starting to grow, more specifically, in our own government.

And not just Bush... since I know your going to try to tell me Bush is the only one who is strongly religious in Washington....

How the hell can the yes votes outnumber the no votes on this poll?! Fundamentalism is a problem no matter what the faith but common, are you people serious?? Christian fundamentalists aren't flying planes into buildings. Christian fundamentalists aren't blowing themselves up on a daily basis. Christain fundamentalists aren't committing murder on a daily basis.

I understand many on this site are heavily anti-christian but this is too much. Many accuse christains of lacking common sense, where's the common sense on this thread?

Fundamentalism in any form is bad, religious, political or what have you. it always leads to intolerance and authoritarianism.

Caine said:
Yes, because so many people in the Islamic world are hateful and want to kill everyone and supress thier women that women are voting, women are getting elected.......(I know.. we are making it happen, but it is still happening).

Even more Sunnis are voting this time around. I would have to say that the Islamic Fundamentalism is starting to weaken.... but our Christian Fundamentalism is starting to grow, more specifically, in our own government.

Iraq is not the entire Islamic world. Are you denying that women live as virtual slaves in most Islamic nations, and that the majority of Islamists support terrorism under the "proper" circumstances?

Caine said:
And not just Bush... since I know your going to try to tell me Bush is the only one who is strongly religious in Washington....

What?

Kandahar said:
Iraq is not the entire Islamic world. Are you denying that women live as virtual slaves in most Islamic nations, and that the majority of Islamists support terrorism under the "proper" circumstances?

What?

LOL.... read the question in the poll again....

The questions is.. Are Christian Fundies GETTING to be as bad as Islamic Fundies.... not are they worse...........The facts are that the Christian Fundamentalists ARE getting worse, while we are seeing improvements in Iraq that is changing Islamic Fundamentalism little at a time.....

The "WAR ON CHRISTMAS" complaint and whining is an excellent Example of Christian Fundamentalism because they aren't getting special treatment in the ideas of a secular government AND getting less (not to be confused with NO) favor from a capitalistic society.

Kandahar said:

You are speaking of the US but lately in Europe these groups are coming back and strong. One example is "Guerilleros de Cristo Rey" . They have begun to carry out assaults on Muslims, Gypsies and other ethnic minorities as well as Eastern European immigrants to the West.

Inuyasha said:
You are speaking of the US but lately in Europe these groups are coming back and strong. One example is "Guerilleros de Cristo Rey" . They have begun to carry out assaults on Muslims, Gypsies and other ethnic minorities as well as Eastern European immigrants to the West.

As if the Basque separatists weren't bad enough, now you have these guys. I went to their site (in Spanish) and yes, they are neo-nazis, but they are at least for women's equality and preserving the environment.

This poll is ridiculous and the results are even more ridiculous.

I agree with The Real McCoy. Christain fundamentalists aren't blowing themselves and others up every day. You people cite a few isolated incidents of Christian extremism but they pale in comparison to Islamic radicalism.

I'm not big on organized religion but I believe in a creator. I just saw this thread and it bugged me.

The Real McCoy said:
How the hell can the yes votes outnumber the no votes on this poll?!

The point is, it says "are they getting as bad," not "are they as bad?"

They certainly have the potential to be as bad. There've already been a few inicidents of abortion clinic bombings etc, and gay-bashing and the violent actions of the KKK certainly count as anti-social behaviour from Christian fundamentalists.

Deegan said:
Puhlease......

But that is a response and no I do not hate christian fundamentalists. I don't care for them enough to go that far.

Last edited:
Anarchist said:
I agree with The Real McCoy. Christain fundamentalists aren't blowing themselves and others up every day. You people cite a few isolated incidents of Christian extremism but they pale in comparison to Islamic radicalism.

I'm not big on organized religion but I believe in a creator. I just saw this thread and it bugged me.

They aren't doing it YET.

Sorry it bugs you... deal.

Inuyasha said:

That is scary. We've had our share of hate crimes against muslims in the U.S. but I can't say if they were commited by organized Christian fundamentalists or just drunk red necks.

The Real McCoy said:
How the hell can the yes votes outnumber the no votes on this poll?! Fundamentalism is a problem no matter what the faith but common, are you people serious?? Christian fundamentalists aren't flying planes into buildings. Christian fundamentalists aren't blowing themselves up on a daily basis. Christain fundamentalists aren't committing murder on a daily basis.

I understand many on this site are heavily anti-christian but this is too much. Many accuse christains of lacking common sense, where's the common sense on this thread?

I am not anti-christian. But I think that fundamentalists of any kind are dangerous.

The Islamic fundamentalists weren't always as dangerous as they are now. Their potential was ignored.... Now look at what they have done to the world.

Kandahar said:

Actually I can... There was a time when people thought Islamic fundamentalists were harmless and in the minority of the faith. Now look at them. And I don't think they're any less ignorant than they ever have been.

I don't know.. the 700 Club has been on T.V. for decades, I don't think they're a joke anymore. I think there must be a lot of people who believe that Pat Robertson actually can heal some old lady who lives in Pensicola FL. through the T.V.

Caine said:
The USA is the most powerful nation in the world at the moment.....I would hate to think of what would happen if our government started acting upon its Fundamentalist ideals like some of the Arab Nations do......

Well... Here in the U.S., at the beginning of the war on terror, Bush said that it was a crusade. To me, crusade means 'holy war' more than jihad does because jihad really just means 'conflict'. Those that really hate muslims believe that it means 'holy war'.

Anyway, after the "Crusade" comment didn't go over very well with the sane portion of the American populus, Bush has been avoiding any religious references regarding the war. But I think he still believes that the war on terror is a holy war.

And I wanted to add that, since it is a holy war in the minds of our current administration, they already have been acting on Christian fundamentals. Using torture and treating muslims like they are not human beings.

Last edited:
I believe that the Christian fundamentalists are just as bad as the Islamic fundamentalsts. Any time a religion needs to resort to extreme measures to prove a point, it's bad. And both of the groups are completely unable to look at their insanity. Try and talk to a Muslim about what is wrong with his religion and he will become very angry and say that you are "insulting" and "attacking" him. And most of them do not even know what the word patriarchy means. Nor do they know of the term "polygamy". They are all surprised that Westerners actually have a vocabulary to describe and talk about and write about things like poligyny. Maybe because deep down they know their religion is wrong and currupt.

If you ask a middle eastern Christian about a middle eastern Muslim they will tell you how crazy the Muslims are. And the Muslims hate the Jews. And I think that even the Muslims hate the Christians. With all of the hating going on over there in the middle east, how can they even pretend that they are religious? :roll:

Last edited:
saffron said:
I believe that the Christian fundamentalists are just as bad as the Islamic fundamentalsts. Any time a religion needs to resort to extreme measures to prove a point, it's bad. And both of the groups are completely unable to look at their insanity. Try and talk to a Muslim about what is wrong with his religion and he will become very angry and say that you are "insulting" and "attacking" him. And most of them do not even know that the word patriarchy means. :roll:

If Christian fundamentalists are just as bad as Islamic fundamentalists, as you say, then could you please provide an example of something Christain fundamntalists have done that is as bad as suicidally flying planes into buildings, killing thousands of innocents.

The Real McCoy said:
If Christian fundamentalists are just as bad as Islamic fundamentalists, as you say, then could you please provide an example of something Christain fundamntalists have done that is as bad as suicidally flying planes into buildings, killing thousands of innocents.

I don't think the argument is wether Islamic fundamentalism is better or worse than Christian fundamentalism. It is that fundamentalist thought of any kind (not necessarily religious only) carries the potential for violence and hatered. At this moment in time it is the Muslims fundamentalists who are in the foreground but that does not mean that Christian fundamentalists or Buddhist fundamentalists are any less dangerous.

Inuyasha said:
I don't think the argument is wether Islamic fundamentalism is better or worse than Christian fundamentalism. It is that fundamentalist thought of any kind (not necessarily religious only) carries the potential for violence and hatered. At this moment in time it is the Muslims fundamentalists who are in the foreground but that does not mean that Christian fundamentalists or Buddhist fundamentalists are any less dangerous.

Buddhist fundamentalism?? Is this seriously an issue? I'm not denying it, I just haven't heard of it and wondered if you knew any examples of serious violence carried out in the name of Buddhism.

The Real McCoy said:
Buddhist fundamentalism?? Is this seriously an issue? I'm not denying it, I just haven't heard of it and wondered if you knew any examples of serious violence carried out in the name of Buddhism.

The Aum the Dept of State's list. They are a Buddhist group and very fundalmentalist in their beliefs.

Back
Top Bottom