• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christian Fundamentalists vs. Islamic Fundamentalists

Are Christian Fundamentalists getting to be as bad as Islamic Fundamentalists

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
I have to admit that I do not know any Christian Fundamentalists personally, (thankfully). I have known some Bible pounding Christians though. I used to have a friend who was a "Christian". She would invite me over and then ask me if I'd brought my bible. Of course I didn't. So then she'd begin telling me off for being so unholy. And then if the subject of men ever came up she'd say that I was "out of control" and then ask me didn't I want a husband who places God "ahead of" me in importance, I'd say "No! The man I marry will put me first". Then she'd 'd say "shame on you!" And of course she was a very passive aggressive woman, as she hated everyone, but never had to nerve to confront any of the persons she hated so much. It was as if she could not relate to anyone on a personal level , except to invalidate them for not being holy. Even though she never went to church. She was afraid of people.

Aren't the Christian fundamentalists a religion who hates gays? And who also expect the girls to be virgins when they marry? This sounds much like ISlam.
:roll:

Inuyasha said:
The Aum the Dept of State's list. They are a Buddhist group and very fundalmentalist in their beliefs.

Some how a phrase got eaten up. The complete name of the group is Aum Shinrikyo. They are the ones who placed the sarin gas in the Tokyo subway a few years ago.

Saffron mentions that the Christian fundamentalist groups sound like the Muslims. That's what I was saying that all fundamentalists are basically the same in their behavior no matter what their cause might be.

Inuyasha said:
Saffron mentions that the Christian fundamentalist groups sound like the Muslims. That's what I was saying that all fundamentalists are basically the same in their behavior no matter what their cause might be.

But, since the majority of our country are christians and the majority of our terrorist enemies are Islamic..... the entire religion of Islam is getting publicly demonized.

The Real McCoy said:
If Christian fundamentalists are just as bad as Islamic fundamentalists, as you say, then could you please provide an example of something Christan fundamntalists have done that is as bad as suicidally flying planes into buildings, killing thousands of innocents.
We are not talking body count. We are talking theocracy. If you are upset that so many of us see fundies of any religion as a problem, perhaps you should ponder how your silence or agreement with these Christian fundies have shaped the perception of the problem.

steen said:
We are not talking body count. We are talking theocracy. If you are upset that so many of us see fundies of any religion as a problem, perhaps you should ponder how your silence or agreement with these Christian fundies have shaped the perception of the problem.

Abortion clinics being bombed and similar isolated incidents are nothing new.. but until they start killing innocent women and children on a daily basis, and until an al-Qaeda-esqe Christain organization forms, this issue is moot... you're trying to equate lakes with oceans. I'm not ignoring/denying Christian fundamentalism and I'm CERTAINLY not agreeing with them so please try to avoid making baseless accusations against me.

Inuyasha said:
Some how a phrase got eaten up. The complete name of the group is Aum Shinrikyo. They are the ones who placed the sarin gas in the Tokyo subway a few years ago.

In my anthropology text it actually has a section with pictures comparing the christian fundamentalists to the Taliban. I'm not kidding. There is a picture of an Afghanistan Islamic Fundamentalists family walking with the wife all covered in that blue-gray covering, and her entire face covered. She is with the husband and 2 children. It talks about how the need to place more strict rules on their lives due to the problems of the world pushes people to extremes. That is a paraphrasing. In the same paragraph the text mentions the Christian Fundamentalists in American and compares how alike the two religions are.

That was a very, very interesting course. So much that I am taking the next level of anthropology.

Caine said:
But, since the majority of our country are christians and the majority of our terrorist enemies are Islamic..... the entire religion of Islam is getting publicly demonized.
Sure it is, but those were Muslims flying the planes into the buildings.

I know an Egyptian Muslim who says that our media blows his religion out of proportion. And maybe this is true to an extent. But what I cannot swallow about many Islamic men is the nullification of women and girls. Muslims are so brainwashed that they literally cannot afford to look at what is wrong with their culture. I believe that is is a completely archaic culture. It does not change with the times. They are very very stubborn people. I have noticed that the Muslims girls who I have seen at school are very unfriendly and they actually seem mean. And if the Muslims are really so peace-loving as they say they are, then why do they hate Jews so much?:confused:

the majority of our country are christians
Really? I think that our country is a Protestant country. You know, that Puritan, hard-working type of people?

Caine said:

That is very true and I am sure that the opposite number is true. Among the Muslims the Christian religion is catching it also and both sides are cherry picking what is negative in each religion. We really don't know much about them nor they us. What is the basis of the problem between the Shiia and the Sunnia? How many of us can explain it? More over I have met people on both sides (Protestants and Catholics) who are not sure what and where the problem exist between these two Christian religions ot sects if you will.

Inuyasha said:
That is very true and I am sure that the opposite number is true. Among the Muslims the Christian religion is catching it also and both sides are cherry picking what is negative in each religion. We really don't know much about them nor they us. What is the basis of the problem between the Shiia and the Sunnia? How many of us can explain it? More over I have met people on both sides (Protestants and Catholics) who are not sure what and where the problem exist between these two Christian religions ot sects if you will.

Actually, the Muslims hate us Jews with a passion......
I told an Iraqi who was loitering outside of our gate once in Iraq that the guy on Gate Guard with me was a Jew... the man got all angry looking and started talking all fast. The only english he could spit out was very obvious... ***** You!

He didn't even know anything about Tim, but he cursed him for being a Jew.

Caine said:
What is the basis of the problem between the Shiia and the Sunnia? How many of us can explain it?
Shiites believe that their leaders should be chosen by means of who their ancestors are. Sunnis take a more Democratic view. Sunnis believe that their leaders should be chosen by the people, as in elections. The split between Sunnis and Shiites happened a long long time ago. I believe as long ago as the 1400's. That was the time that Islam first began and spread very fast. It was around the time of the Crusades. The reason that Islam allowed men several wives was to create more heirs.

Caine said:
I told an Iraqi who was loitering outside of our gate once in Iraq that the guy on Gate Guard with me was a Jew... the man got all angry looking and started talking all fast. The only english he could spit out was very obvious... ***** You!

wow! Sounds like atypical hatred between 2 religions. But didn't all of this hatred begin a long long time ago? I find it very strange that the ARabs (Muslims) hold onto all of this hatred and cannot just come into present time. It is mentally unhealthy. :(
hate us Jews with a passion..
It's more than just a passion, it's more of an insanity. And Egyptians and Muslims hate that American helps Israel.

Last edited:
saffron said:
wow! Sounds like atypical hatred between 2 religions. But didn't all of this hatred begin a long long time ago? I find it very strange that the ARabs (Muslims) hold onto all of this hatred and cannot just come into present time. It is mentally unhealthy. :(

Yes, it is.

Caine said:

This is true in many cases but not all. Jews live in Iraq and other Muslim countries. They have a difficult time no doubt. But we in the West are not much better. I do not know of an Arab wholesale slaughter of Jews as the Germans did during the second world war. Do you? Jews have been treated badly in Europe and even in the Americas so we cannot "cast the first stone" here.

Inuyasha said:
This is true in many cases but not all. Jews live in Iraq and other Muslim countries. They have a difficult time no doubt. But we in the West are not much better. I do not know of an Arab wholesale slaughter of Jews as the Germans did during the second world war. Do you? Jews have been treated badly in Europe and even in the Americas so we cannot "cast the first stone" here.

If there is one single Jew in Arab Iraq, I'd like to meet that guy.

Inuyasha said:
Hmmm, the holocaust happened because an entire nation allowed themselves to be brainwashed by a Nazi named Hitler. And what do you think Islam does to it's followers? This may sound like a fallacious argument, but I have noticed that Muslims have not the capacity to even question their religion. They follow it blindly. :shock:

Caine said:
On a lighter note, I think that Ali G is one of those, but he doesnt live in Iraq, he is from England. His real name is Cohen. There used to be Egyptian Jews, and that was one of the names, Cohen. And the name Ali is Arab.:mrgreen:

saffron said:
On a lighter note, I think that Ali G is one of those, but he doesnt live in Iraq, he is from England. His real name is Cohen. There used to be Egyptian Jews, and that was one of the names, Cohen. And the name Ali is Arab.:mrgreen:

Of course, there are many different types of Jews.
Ever since the destruction of the 2nd temple the Jews have dispersed into what is now call the "diaspora"...... basically meaning any land but Israel.

Caine said:

Here are a two of dozens of articles on Jews in Iraq. There are as many on Jews in Iran as well.

One of the longest surviving Jewish communities still lives in Iraq. In 722 B.C.E., the northern tribes of Israel were defeated by Assyria and some Jews were taken to what is now known as Iraq. A larger community was established in 586 B.C.E., when the Babylonians conquered the southern tribes of Israel and enslaved the Jews. These Jews distinguished themselves from Sephardim, referring to themselves as Baylim (Babylonions). In later centuries, the region became more hospitable to Jews and it became the home to some of the world's most prominent scholars who produced the Babylonian Talmud between 500 and 700 C.E.
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/iraqijews.html

http://www.haruth.com/JewsIraq.html

Saffron - certainly many Muslims do not question their religion but we might say the same of most of the world's religions. But there are, thank God (or is it Allah?) That there are people in every religion who do. Salman Rushtie for example on Islam. And you'll find people in all religions who do question. The great majority do not.

Hitler and the Germans are not the only anti-Semites in the Western world. Consider the following:

A few years ago I had a friend who was Jewish. He was well studied, well read and a brilliant young man.One night I took him to a bar near my house. At that time I live in a Ukrainian neighborhood. The bar was run by a Ukrainian and frequented by mostly Ukrainian and Polish clients. The obscene reception he go just for being Jewish was appalling. Needless to say I never returned there again. These people who insulted him were fellow Americans born here and raised here but they had inherited the Eastern European ant-Semitism totally. Do you think they were brainwashed. Ignorance and hatered know no borders they are theonly things there seems to be no prejudice toward.

Inuyasha said:
Here are a two of dozens of articles on Jews in Iraq. There are as many on Jews in Iran as well.

One of the longest surviving Jewish communities still lives in Iraq. In 722 B.C.E., the northern tribes of Israel were defeated by Assyria and some Jews were taken to what is now known as Iraq. A larger community was established in 586 B.C.E., when the Babylonians conquered the southern tribes of Israel and enslaved the Jews. These Jews distinguished themselves from Sephardim, referring to themselves as Baylim (Babylonions). In later centuries, the region became more hospitable to Jews and it became the home to some of the world's most prominent scholars who produced the Babylonian Talmud between 500 and 700 C.E.
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/iraqijews.html

http://www.haruth.com/JewsIraq.html

Saffron - certainly many Muslims do not question their religion but we might say the same of most of the world's religions. But there are, thank God (or is it Allah?) That there are people in every religion who do. Salman Rushtie for example on Islam. And you'll find people in all religions who do question. The great majority do not.

Hitler and the Germans are not the only anti-Semites in the Western world. Consider the following:

A few years ago I had a friend who was Jewish. He was well studied, well read and a brilliant young man.One night I took him to a bar near my house. At that time I live in a Ukrainian neighborhood. The bar was run by a Ukrainian and frequented by mostly Ukrainian and Polish clients. The obscene reception he go just for being Jewish was appalling. Needless to say I never returned there again. These people who insulted him were fellow Americans born here and raised here but they had inherited the Eastern European ant-Semitism totally. Do you think they were brainwashed. Ignorance and hatered know no borders they are theonly things there seems to be no prejudice toward.

Its truely Sad.
As far as a form of Racism (even though its more of religious intolerance), I would have to say that I am more confused by this than I am of the racism towards Blacks.

Inuyasha said:
Salman Rushtie for example on Islam.
REally, I need to read up about him.

And you'll find people in all religions who do question. The great majority do not.
I think that everyone should question everything, especially religion.:confused:

These people who insulted him were fellow Americans born here and raised here but they had inherited the Eastern European ant-Semitism totally.
How did they inherit that, if they are Americans, from their parents?
Do you think they were brainwashed. Ignorance and hatered know no borders they are theonly things there seems to be no prejudice toward.
No I just think they are ignorant and maybe not very educated either.:roll:

All of the anti-semitism makes me wonder, what did the Jewish people ever do? I mean there are bad people in every ethnic group, but I always thought that the Jewish people were into education and family. Is there something in the Middle East that happened that is still following them?

I have a Jewish friend who is the nicest person. She is very caring and works in the health field. She is a bit naive and not very street-wise, but she is very nice and very intelligent. I just cannot imagine anyone disliking her. I don't.

It is just a theory, but Jewish people were pastoral. They moved around with their animals for grazing purposes. Perhaps the whole anti-semitism sentiment stems from a territory dispute thousands of years ago.

You guys really got me going on the world population of Jewish people. Check these things out. I think you'll find them interesting and just the tip of the iceberg. There are Jewish people from Europe to Burma.

The Jews of Iran

1948 Jewish population: 100,000
2003: 11,0001
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/iranjews.html

Jews in Iran Describe a Life of Freedom Despite Anti-Israel Actions by Tehran
http://csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/durableRedirect.pl?/durable/1998/02/03/intl/intl.3.html

1986 there were an estimated 50,000 Jews in Iran, a decline from about 85,000 in 1978. The Iranian Jewish community is one of the oldest in the world, being descended from Jews who remained in the region following the Babylonian captivity, when the Achaemenid rulers of the first Iranian empire permitted Jews to return to Jerusalem. Over the centuries the Jews of Iran became physically, culturally, and linguistically indistinguishable from the non-Jewish population. The overwhelming majority of Jews speak Persian as their mother language, and a tiny minority, Kurdish. The Jews are predominantly urban and by the 1970s were concentrated in Tehran, with smaller communities in other cities, such as Shiraz, Esfahan, Hamadan, and Kashan.
Burmese Jews.
http://www.haruth.com/JewsBurma.html

Back
Top Bottom