• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christian DVD sparks riot

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Is this why we are in Iraq?

To help spread Christianity, democracy in the Islamic/Muslim world?

Me thinks they don't want us there at all. Me thinks we should pack up and leave as soon as possible. What do you think?

Imagine that... just one little DVD set off that mob!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/10/21/egypt.church.riot.ap/index.html

ALEXANDRIA, Egypt (AP) -- One person died and more than 90 were injured as thousands of Muslims rioted outside a Coptic Christian church Friday to denounce a play deemed offensive to Islam. Police responded by beating protesters and firing tear gas into the crowd, officials said.

Police said 53 protesters were arrested as people hurled stones, smashed windows and tried to storm St. George Church. Protesters also set a police car on fire and wrecked eight other cars, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.

A photographer for The Associated Press saw police fire rubber bullets into the crowd, causing injuries. Police claimed officers fired rubber bullets only into the air while trying to disperse the crowd.

One protester, Mohammed Zakaraya Hassan, 48, died after being trampled and inhaling tear gas, according to a police official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

The Interior Ministry described the protesters as "fanatic elements" who "escalated a negative reaction to a play." The ministry said about 5,000 Muslims marched to the church after Friday noon prayers at mosques.

"The police tried to prevent (the demonstrators) from approaching the church and attacking it, but the protesters did not heed the warnings and started to hurl stones at the church, security forces and pedestrians," the ministry said.

The riot was sparked by the distribution of a DVD of a play that was performed at the church two years ago. The play, "I Was Blind But Now I Can See," tells the story of a young Christian who converts to Islam and becomes disillusioned.

The church's director, the Rev. Augustinous, said it was difficult to explain the reaction to a one-time performance that took place two years ago.

"There are so many questions on what is behind all of that," he told the AP in a telephone interview.

He denied the play was offensive to Islam because its Christian hero is ultimately saved by a Muslim friend.

Egyptian security officials accused Islamic militants of distributing the DVDs to stoke sectarian tensions ahead of legislative elections Nov. 9.

The Muslim Brotherhood, the country's largest Islamic group, denied any involvement in Friday's demonstration.

Coptic Christians make up about 10 percent of Egypt's 70 million people, who are overwhelmingly Muslim. Accusations of forced conversion are common in the country.

Now I know I said that the nazi's werent' at fault in that other thread pertaining to the Toledo riots, but this is a much different issue.

This is a country that doesn't necessarily allow free speech. This is also a much more serious issue. I know that the people who rioted were in the wrong, but they also had no other form of protest.

At the risk of sounding like an evalgelical idiot, maybe they could use some Christian values if they can't protest a ****ing movie without someone getting killed. So quick to judge and condemn Christians and America, but do they ever stop to think what they look like to us?

And this happened in Egypt, what does it have to do with Iraq? Whether they want us in Iraq or not, it's too bad, we will (hopefully) be there until we aren't needed anymore. Unless we want another Sadaam Hussein to deal with in 15 years.

Me thinks they don't want us there at all. Me thinks we should pack up and leave as soon as possible. What do you think?
Why are you talking like that? Its hard for me to take you seriously, ;)

Binary was right on.

Binary_Digit said:
At the risk of sounding like an evalgelical idiot, maybe they could use some Christian values if they can't protest a ****ing movie without someone getting killed. So quick to judge and condemn Christians and America, but do they ever stop to think what they look like to us?

And this happened in Egypt, what does it have to do with Iraq? Whether they want us in Iraq or not, it's too bad, we will (hopefully) be there until we aren't needed anymore. Unless we want another Sadaam Hussein to deal with in 15 years.

Christian values?

What the heck does that mean? How about just some values period, good values, they don't have to be stinking Christian values for God's sake!

KidRocks said:
Christian values?

What the heck does that mean? How about just some values period, good values, they don't have to be stinking Christian values for God's sake!

Honestly, values and morals have nothing to do with Christianity, you Christian loons like to believe that thats where they come from.

Polish Rob said:
Honestly, values and morals have nothing to do with Christianity, you Christian loons like to believe that thats where they come from.

Exactly my point! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom