• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Christian America is an invention

Schwartz

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The idea of "one nation under God" is a modern one - and does not date back to the Founding Fathers.

Christian America is an invention: Big business, right-wing politics and the religious lie that still divides us - Salon.com

I always believed America was a Christian nation. I remember Washington's profound quotes regarding Christianity and its role in the life of Americans. I am totally OK with people of different faiths coming and joining our diverse family, yet the foundation of this country lies in the teaching of Jesus Christ. Previous generations of Americans built their morals and social standards with the Bible in their hands.
To my mind denying the role of Christianity in the past and present United States is another attempt of liberal lobby to shift public perception of faith and traditional values. There is no need to deny our own culture in order to please foreigners and minorities.

It depends on what you mean by "foundation." The legal underpinnings of what we consider our founding document (The Constitution) are based much more upon British jurisprudence and Lockean values (which in turn derive somewhat from classical Greece and Rome), not so much the Bible.

If we're talking more about our "foundation" from a more cultural perspective, then perhaps. But really there is no "denying" our culture in order to please others. There's the simple fact that cultural values have shifted and changed over time, and I believe largely for the better.

Last edited:
There is nothing about our system of government or our founding documents that is the least bit "Christian" based. If by "Christian nation" you mean there are more Christians in it than any other religion then fine.

I would like a list of these so-called "Christian values" that apparently are fundamental to our culture and nation. I would bet that most of them don't really have anything to do with Christianity (or Judaism) at all, and even those that do predate any modern religion.

There is nothing about our system of government or our founding documents that is the least bit "Christian" based. If by "Christian nation" you mean there are more Christians in it than any other religion then fine.

Just out of curiosity, have you read any Cotton Mather or Jonathan Edwards? I am surely not an authority, but the few people I know who are experts in colonial and early American writing disagree with your opinion. I hope somebody who's more familiar than I with these writings will weigh in here.

Christian America is an invention: Big business, right-wing politics and the religious lie that still divides us - Salon.com

I always believed America was a Christian nation. I remember Washington's profound quotes regarding Christianity and its role in the life of Americans. I am totally OK with people of different faiths coming and joining our diverse family, yet the foundation of this country lies in the teaching of Jesus Christ. Previous generations of Americans built their morals and social standards with the Bible in their hands.
To my mind denying the role of Christianity in the past and present United States is another attempt of liberal lobby to shift public perception of faith and traditional values. There is no need to deny our own culture in order to please foreigners and minorities.
Seriously Schwartz. You need to read more about this topic and get more informed of how our forefathers thought about religion and the formation of this country.

May I suggest an excellent book by Jon Meecham entitled: American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation

Do not expect this book to either support the present ideologies of either the left or the right. But you would be totally amazed as to see just how much the far left or far right would not fit in to that past society. ;)

Just out of curiosity, have you read any Cotton Mather or Jonathan Edwards? I am surely not an authority, but the few people I know who are experts in colonial and early American writing disagree with your opinion. I hope somebody who's more familiar than I with these writings will weigh in here.

No. But I have read the Bible in its entirety as well as the Constitution of the United States. And I posses the ability to compare and contrast.

The United States of America is NOT a theocracy. Never has been, never will be. The government is not God, and God is not the government. The purpose of the government is NOT to lead people to Jesus, enforce God's will, or fulfill any Biblical commands such as "care for the needy", etc.

Singing or reciting phrases such as "one nation under God" or "God bless America" always makes me cringe. It lets politicians of all stripes seize power, destroy liberty, and run our lives, using the justification that they are "doing God's work".

The United States of America is NOT a theocracy. Never has been, never will be. The government is not God, and God is not the government. The purpose of the government is NOT to lead people to Jesus, enforce God's will, or fulfill any Biblical commands such as "care for the needy", etc.

Singing or reciting phrases such as "one nation under God" or "God bless America" always makes me cringe. It lets politicians of all stripes seize power, destroy liberty, and run our lives, using the justification that they are "doing God's work".
Agreed. But how can religious **** be exterminated? I guess it's a matter of time, maybe 50 or 100 years needed.

"Christian America is an invention: Big business, right-wing politics and the religious lie that still divides us - Salon.com"

Perhaps someone forgot to tell them that 82% of Americans claim to be Christian.

Back
Top Bottom